Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Online private server (Return of Reckoning)

TedNugent

Arcane
I think it probably came down to whether your server was stacked order or stacked destro. WoW was like this. People would transfer to the server with the best population. I went from Nazgrel (US) to Thrall. Nazgrel server pop was around 40-60 Horde-Alliance. Thrall was around 90-10 Horde Alliance, which is why I xferred. After 2 years of getting farmed on Nazgrel, I decided to jump ship to Thrall. Cost me $25 to server transfer. Sad to say that it was a great deal opposed to living on a dying server.

As far as the RoR server, it seems to come in streaks based on timezone. Last night, I lost 3 scens in a row against Order. On Monday night, I won 3 in a row as Destro. Sometimes, in Saturday morning, I have a 5 win streak as Destro. Usually at nighttime, Order begins their farm. Order zergs also tend to be pretty epic in RvR on RoR. Most of the time, Destro gets farmed. White Lions, Warrior Priests, and Bright Wizards seem especially bad. WPs seem especially resilient for healers. WLs jump backfield and fuck up your squishies. Pounce damage is very high. Festering Arrow (from SW), and Boiling Blood crits shit on tanks. Destro seems to agree that Order usually has the stronger hand.

I've had some punishing nights, but I've also camped quite a few graveyards. It seems to go in shifts based on who has the better premades. So best advice I can give is obviously - find a good regular premade.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Let's not forget how much ass Maguses sucked as well. You'd stack some 5 or so DoTs that you had on all the whole enemy team and the enemy Archmage would outheal all DoTs with a single HoT. T-thanks. Magus: King of #1 most Damage Dealt with 0 Kills in any given Scenario. And this brings up my other issue. FFS not only did they reduce the all powerful Archmage into a healbot, the Goblin Shaman had better racial spells than the Elven Archmage.

WAR had a lot of problems. A lot. BUT! I think the biggest issue with the game waas the playerbase. I played WAR in beta and on release, and the game was just as fun as any other PvP MMO like DAoC during beta. Mostly because people didn't give a fuck about scenario and level grind. Peeps just wanted to do open world PvP and have fun. Then when the game was released everyone was concentrated on level grind and this made the whole experience very tepid. Sure, the game was worse than DAoC in every way possible, but it wasn't outright horrible either. I think the players made it worse with the dumbass neo-MMO mentality of trying to rush to the end ASAP rather than having fun.
Yeah. Ignoring numbers and balance, the mechanics of the WAR classes were really great. Each one felt very unique... you had stance (aura) dancers, two different types of glass cannon-ish melee, hybrid warrior-priests where healing and causing damage fed off one another (actually Archmages were like that too, weren't they?), tanks that actually tanked in PVP because they had strong CC that made it important to focus them down, defensive turret classes. Oh and not to mention there was collision detection, meaning that tanks could actually block an entrance/chokepoint with shieldwall and heals.

It felt like ability/spell choice and timing was based on the situation rather than being a typical MMO rotation. It was interesting because while you were still stuck with the regular several 1-through-0 hotbars, it didn't feel like you "go down a list."

If only things were balanced and there were 3 factions.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The best thing about WAR was the massive amount of concept art they did.

Thane Solus

Arcane
WAR had excellent PVE, achievments(from quests and zone, and other stuff), zones, public quests, and the RVR was fine for a while but broken. Also awesome classes. If the RVR was better made, probably would still be alive today, even with the limited amount of zones.

The amount of clueleness when coming to judge WAR from ex WOW players and other people with no mmo experience its ... lovely.

Its the last thempark mmo that had actually improved and innovated some things, unfortunately failed on some. Even with that, if the patched and developed further, the game will be doing quite fine today, but EA and inside problems in company destroyed it.

After WAR no themepark mmo cant even come close to it, even with its flaws. Other types of MMO, well thats another discussion.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
WAR had excellent PVE, achievments, zones, public quests, and the RVR was fine for a while but broken. Also awesome classes. If the RVR was better made, probably would still be alive today, even with the limited amount of zones.

Weren't they even the first to use that concept?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yes, they invented the public quest, if thats what you are talking about. RVR also with DAOC.
Heh... interesting how GW2 pulled quite a bit from Mythic.

Now if Anet wasn't retarded, didn't implement the stupid personal storyline, they would've had resources to actually make the combat (ugh talk about cooldown-focused) and open world content good. Which incidentally is what they advertised in the first place. I don't remember them ever emphasizing any solo personal storyline bullshit. The game was supposed to be (or try to be) WAR/DAoC v2.0.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It is impossible to have a good RVR when you say "fuck you!" to entire balancing branch of developement. It is the most sensirive part of thegame. But when one side run without dangers of being killed and 5 chars beat senseless a team of 30 - who would stay in this shit for long?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Mmm, WAR. So many memories. :) :argh:

And/or be like what GW2 is.
No thanks. GW2 was a total shitfest. I'm not even talking about ANet's "balancing" attempts which resulted in entire classes being completely neutered. I'm talking about how victory could be literally bought with siege equipment if your guild had enough gold to blow on it. I played on Desolation and we were in the top tier but couldn't win because other two servers double-teamed us. So I "farmed" about 100 gold by reselling stuff on AH, donated them to fuel our guild's war effort and by the end of the day pretty much everything belonged to us.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It is impossible to have a good RVR when you say "fuck you!" to entire balancing branch of developement. It is the most sensirive part of thegame. But when one side run without dangers of being killed and 5 chars beat senseless a team of 30 - who would stay in this shit for long?

To be fair, DAoC was a successful RvRvR game and there was hardly any semblance of balance in that game either. Hey, kids, there's a new band in town. It's called Mr.Bonedancer and the Skeletals~
giphy.gif

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Mmm, WAR. So many memories. :) :argh:

No thanks. GW2 was a total shitfest. I'm not even talking about ANet's "balancing" attempts which resulted in entire classes being completely neutered. I'm talking about how victory could be literally bought with siege equipment if your guild had enough gold to blow on it. I played on Desolation and we were in the top tier but couldn't win because other two servers double-teamed us. So I "farmed" about 100 gold by reselling stuff on AH, donated them to fuel our guild's war effort and by the end of the day pretty much everything belonged to us.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear, but what I intended to say that everything you listed is still worse than WAR's implementation. You may have been double-teamed, but the possibility of being double-teamed is worse than the status quo in WAR (2-faction RVR) where you are ALWAYS losing because the server population is biased towards one side.

Secondly, siege equipment does a shitload variety of things compared to WAR. WAR siege equipment literally can only damage the front door. No destructible walls. (Besides that it damages players).

I'm not saying that GW2 is significantly better. But I'm pointing out the two fundamental problems to WAR - not the final implementation. (1) Your double-teaming issues in GW2 pale compared to the faction imbalance in WAR. (2) WAR sieging almost only consists of ramming the door, then taking 1 of two staircases/paths that lead to the keep master NPC.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
To be fair, DAoC was a successful RvRvR game and there was hardly any semblance of balance in that game either. Hey, kids, there's a new band in town. It's called Mr.Bonedancer and the Skeletals~
giphy.gif
That's again because the possibility of 2 factions fighting 1 faction means that number of players will trump a single overpowered class. Unless said class is absolutely god-like, in high-scale RvR, numbers matter much much more.

It's checks & balances (like theoretical US govt setup with Legislative/Judicial/Executive branches). As long as one faction is nerfed completely to 1% power, then there will always be the chance that two factions will overcome an overpowered faction.

But yes, Bonedancers. On the other hand, I rather like the Bonedancer mechanic because it takes away from tedium of regular MMO PVE leveling. (PVP a different story of course)

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's again because the possibility of 2 factions fighting 1 faction means that number of players will trump a single overpowered class. Unless said class is absolutely god-like, in high-scale RvR, numbers matter much much more.

It's checks & balances (like theoretical US govt setup with Legislative/Judicial/Executive branches). As long as one faction is nerfed completely to 1% power, then there will always be the chance that two factions will overcome an overpowered faction.

But yes, Bonedancers. On the other hand, I rather like the Bonedancer mechanic because it takes away from tedium of regular MMO PVE leveling. (PVP a different story of course)

Bonedancers were crazy. They were operating on a different level. Having that Skeleton Captain slashing at enemies and 3 other skeleton healers healing you and the Captain while you are casting your damage and life leeching spells. Nothing like this has ever been seen on an MMO before or after. There were a lot of classes that I repsected in DAoC. Classes with mechanics, themes and ideas that I have not seen replicated anywhere else. The Necromancer is another interesting and unique take on the pet class where you act through your pet rather than with it. I guess the Squig Herder did this to a lesser degree, but still not to the same extent as the Necromancer.
I miss the good old days :(

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Bonedancers were crazy. They were operating on a different level. Having that Skeleton Captain slashing at enemies and 3 other skeleton healers healing you and the Captain while you are casting your damage and life leeching spells. Nothing like this has ever been seen on an MMO before or after. There were a lot of classes that I repsected in DAoC. Classes with mechanics, themes and ideas that I have not seen replicated anywhere else. The Necromancer is another interesting and unique take on the pet class where you act through your pet rather than with it. I guess the Squig Herder did this to a lesser degree, but still not to the same extent as the Necromancer.
I miss the good old days :(
Squig Hunter was best because knocking back enemies off cliffs was the best thing ever. :p

Definitely agreed with DAOC also having useful mechanics. Though I never really played, but I am okay with taking your word for it.

Thane Solus

Arcane
The healers were awesome too, and just about every class and race, also the downfall of the sieges, at least at first for me, was there was no delay. Once a keep was conquered, 5 mins later it was again attacked... It shouldve been 12 hours or more, and to the looser maybe some special mission to sabotage when you cannot attack the keep.

Such a wonderful game, even with the lag, and broken RvR. Same with DAOC.

GreyViper

Prophet
Long time WHO player, here. Had lot of fun, both PVP and PVE. I have to mention the Tomb Kings area, lots of fun public questing with good rewards and order hunting leading to razing order outpost. But the real meat was the capital city sieges, either attacking or defending. I managed to snag 1st place prize from one of the instances that opens up when you raze Aldorf. And man what adrenaline rush that was. It was really fun playing Chaos Chosen Champion, being the pusher/tank. Honorable mentions go to siege weapons, got lots of kills using them, while order did not use them that much. :/
tumblr_mvjsr3RoXm1ryuxh4o3_540.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So far at rank 11th level game is still dominated by bright wizards, blazing suns, warrior priests and white lions. Yesterday tried to kill bright wiazrd with dps-oriented marauder(equal lvl) in a scenario battle, who was healed by 1 healer. Could not even reduce hp to 75%. In other words - everything is still as broken as it was in WAR back then. Order can overheal every possible damage you can shove and simply ignore you, spamming with AoE. In RVR saw a white lion being bashed by 9 players, who easily managed to escape without taking much damage.
Job well done!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So far at rank 11th level game is still dominated by bright wizards, blazing suns, warrior priests and white lions. Yesterday tried to kill bright wiazrd with dps-oriented marauder(equal lvl) in a scenario battle, who was healed by 1 healer. Could not even reduce hp to 75%. In other words - everything is still as broken as it was in WAR back then. Order can overheal every possible damage you can shove and simply ignore you, spamming with AoE. In RVR saw a white lion being bashed by 9 players, who easily managed to escape without taking much damage.
Job well done!
Hmm I actually played before they put in the Blazing Suns. Interesting, they buffed Bright Wizards even more?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
WAY WAY more

WTF, how can that ve even possible :lol:
I remember playing one naked for 20 levels, doing only battlegrounds and RvR. Got most of them "naked" achivements in 1 freaking hour. One!!!
But my favourite was Ironbreaker though. Sendiing black orcs to space with shield slam was entertaining.

Here are some moments I captured years ago, I had really high hopes for this game. :cry::argh:

1930869_33049196818_1309_n.jpg

1930869_33049211818_2733_n.jpg
1930869_33049251818_5432_n.jpg

1930869_33049276818_6460_n.jpg

1930869_33049271818_6201_n.jpg

1930869_33049286818_6970_n.jpg

1930869_33049291818_7235_n.jpg

1930869_33049281818_6716_n.jpg

I'll be installing this one tonight again!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom