Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Mission 9. Epsilon Chapter.

It's showtime!
This is going to be my team for the job. I chose best scientists and mechanics (and Raul). Soldiers? Not so much. I would have had a much better time had I taken D. Krishianis, or at least someone competent.
2015_10_26_211535.jpg

Primary objective received:
- Destroy all laboratories in Epsilon base.
- Kill all scientists in Epsilon base.

We are off to a great opening. When I said that we start on top of the Americans, I meant it. We are barely 10 tiles apart, and the only thing separating us is a thin forest.
2015_10_26_211818.jpg

Which would be enough of an obstacle to make us dig in, fortify our position, build our forces, and prepare for a long game... if we didn't start with a 'dozer right off the bat.
2015_10_26_211941.jpg

Ooh, what do we have here? More titties? Pretty! :bounce:

9_joan.jpg
- This is Dr. Fergusson, from the Epsilon base. Cease your attack, we are a civilian installation, not a military target.
Gorky.jpg
- Really? So you don’t mind if we do a laboratory inspection.
9_joan.jpg
- We cannot allow that. You are Russians...
Gorky.jpg
- If your work is innocent that is not a problem. But I know you lie. You all lie! We shall destroy your base and all ‘civilians’ too!
9_Macmillan.jpg
- (over radio) I warn you, commander. Go near that base and you’ll wish you’d never been born.
Hmm, looks like she has a boyfriend. Perfect! I like myself a challenge!
Gorky.jpg
- More Yankee bullshit. This is all you are capable of.

We will penetrate your defenses and ram our vehicle between your labs. Our 'dozer is the 'dozer that will pierce the Heavens!

But first, let's troll them a little by building an armory - just in range to shoot at them, but out of their sight.
2015_10_26_233350.jpg

Normally the armory and the turret would not be able to see each other... but the 'dozer can act as a spotter once a few trees are removed.
2015_10_26_233606.jpg

Just make sure not to remove all of them - you don't want to be shelled by both turrets, as repairs take a lot of time with just a single mechanic, and time is something that is not on our side now that Mr. White Knight has been called.

Once one turret falls, we can send the 'dozer to back us up against the other. We could, in theory, have positioned our armory to reach both turrets, however, they, too, would have been able to shoot back, and they can dish out more damage than even a crane can repair - it is simply faster to work on them one by one. The soldiers' job is to distract the turret from the 'dozer - it is hard enough to keep it alive with the gatling turret nearby.
2015_10_26_233739.jpg

Once the gun turrets fall, we have effectively infiltrated their backyard.
2015_10_26_233911.jpg

And the labs are right in front of us, longing to accept the 'dozer. RAMMING SPEED!!!

Once again, comrade Popov chimes in.
Popov_Radio.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, I have a message from professor Gossudarov. He wants to know what Americans have discovered. Seize their results before you destroy the labs.

Secondary objectives received:
- Capture the laboratories before you destroy them.

Uh, with what exactly? I am driving a 'dozer, not a construction fleet!

I spy a pretty lady!
2015_10_26_234202.jpg

Come dance with us, pretty lady! :bounce:

9_Yashin.jpg
- Primary objective: Kill all scientists in Epsilon base.

Gorky.jpg
- I serve my country. :salute::negative:

Fine, then I will do a special 'dozer courting dance, just for you.
First, we feign indifference and try to intrigue them by turning our back to them.
2015_10_26_234205.jpg

Then, once they come closer, we do a full 180.
2015_10_26_234228.jpg

Then hug, and we squeeze, and we PARTY. Hard.
2015_10_26_234232.jpg

Until they fall from exhausion.
2015_10_26_234233.jpg

9_joan.jpg
- John!? Where are you? John, I always… (sounds of gunfire)
Wait, what gunfire? I don't even have a gun! :?
9_Macmillan.jpg
- You bastard, Gorky! You’re gonna die for this! I swear it. Wherever you go I’m going to be right behind you. YOU BASTARD!!!!
Aww, he mad.

And that's one less named character in the campaign. Well, if we can't have titties, nobody else will, either! :rpgcodex:

Let's see what we are dealing with, here.
2015_10_26_235552.jpg

On the screenshot:
- 2 manual heavy gun turrets - unmanned
- automated gatling turret
- automated radar turret
- automated rocket launcher turret (far to the right)
- a remote controlled light gun vehicle.
- an armory with 2 soldiers and a sniper inside.

Seems tough, but manageable. The high-level sniper is probably the worst of it, as even though the 'dozer's armor is durable, the driver inside is not. Stay too long in the open, and he will shoot your brains out, leaving the vehicle intact.

Let's go a bit farther...
2015_10_26_235421.jpg

On the screenshot (aside from what has been mentioned):
- another automated heavy gun turret
- another automated radar turret
- another light gun remote vehicle
- and the factory produces yet another vehicle, with a double gun turret.

Well, this might pose a problem.

But what lies up ahead?
2015_10_26_235640.jpg

On the screenshot (aside from what has been mentioned):
- yet another automated heavy gun turret
- three remote-controlled heavy gun tanks (!!)
- a remote-controlled gatling gun tank.

Okay, you can fuck right off! Ain't no way we ever go up this way! :eek::eek::eek:

Right, we have to be smart about this. Walking into that wall of defense is going to kill us pretty much instantly. Once again, we employ the "Dancing with the 'dozers" stratagem. We locate a light gun vehicle...
2015_10_27_000625.jpg

...and we make inviting gestures as we drive around the corner of the lab. Good thing I didn't have it destroyed - it is going to serve as cover against the sniper inside the American armory.
2015_10_27_000709.jpg

That said, it is called 'light gun' in name only. Controlled by a top-level mechanic, its medium-sized frame is almost comparable in armor rating to the 'dozer's, and it boasts a whooping 90 attack strength against vehicles - its close to what a 'dozer does against infantry, and we have all seen the results!

And we are attacked inside our own base by cyan forces - Macmillan's team - so my soldiers are all tied up countering the offensive.

These new troops are all very skilled - anywhere from 6th to 10th level, and their attacks are going to get progressively nastier. We can handle their initial push, and maaaaaybe the second one, if we catch them out of position, but the third wave is going to be the end of us - they will bring snipers, and I have absolutely nothing to deal with those. We have to act fast.

We hold, though just barely. Gorky was one shot away from being set on fire, and our armory is nearly ruined by a double-gun tank. I have to get the men out - the big guns perform abysmally against infantry, making it a more even fight.
2015_10_27_000953.jpg

And we get a straggler flanking us just when we got out of armory - great, just great! At least the vehicle is dealt with.
2015_10_27_001116.jpg

The cyan driver is aggressive, but we let it slide for now - we need him to repair his vehicle, because Gorky is busy with Masha. Speaking of which, we want to back off a bit before the enemy tank explodes and damages ours.
2015_10_27_001151.jpg

The American driver can be killed once his tank is at least at half health.

Right, it's time to move out towards our next objective. There is a third lab hidden in the very heart of the base, its entrance covered with a missile turret. We need to destroy the turret, first... but there is no path to it, as it is built behind trees. We could clear the trees, but we will have to work under the sniper's scope...
2015_10_27_002110.jpg

...which is why we need to get him something else to shoot at. That's where the second vehicle comes into play.
2015_10_27_002155.jpg

The path is clear - and best of all, the sniper doesn't reach behind the unmanned gun turret. The rocket lancher can't fire up close, so it switches to my infantry. I try to run them close to the turret, too...
2015_10_27_002342.jpg

...only to find out there is a gatling automated turret right behind the lab. And in case you are wondering, there is an automated heavy gun turret covering it in turn. And that one is covered by three heavy gun tanks we've seen earlier. Seriously, how many layers of defense does this base have?!

Eager to escape the gatling turret, I run back... right into the sniper fire. My team are scientists, not soldier, so it only takes one shot.
2015_10_27_002507.jpg

RIP, Olga. :salute:

However, the lab is in our pocket now! Even though American scientists can heal very fast and we lost one third of our DPS, we can still down them... eventually.
2015_10_27_003449.jpg

However, be careful - the targets lying prone on the ground are harder to see and require you to move closer to finish them off... right into the sniper range.
2015_10_27_003655.jpg

Olga, even in death, performs one tremendously important role that is, ironically, more useful than her contribution to the team when she was alive - her body marks a certain line on the ground that you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT CROSS.

We are out of time. We have been very successful so far because the American base is designed to be protected from attacks from the west, where most of their defenses are, and the cluttered buildings prevent their tanks from coming down from their ridge and squashing our meager offensive. But now, with the lab on fire, we risk undoing that knot and letting their forces back inside once it explodes.
We can't go back now. If we do, we'll find a killer team happily squatting in the middle of our base.
2015_10_27_004016.jpg

...and if we let the northern lab burn down, another cyan team will get through. Heavy gun tanks, elite soldiers, snipers... we won't stand a chance.
2015_10_27_004147.jpg
It's now or never! We just blew up the second lab. Quick, do the courting dance! Feint!
2015_10_27_005914.jpg

Turn.
2015_10_27_005922.jpg

Pull the impatient troops back, 'cause the sniper is relentless. And... RAM!!!!!
2015_10_27_005951.jpg

The medic is down! The second one rushes to aid - we can not allow them to just stand there and heal, because we can not hope to outdamage them if we stay out of sniper range. We need to abandon all caution and go all in!
2015_10_27_005028.jpg

Our man is down! But so is theirs!
2015_10_27_004354.jpg

Their soldiers break Masha, while the sniper goes to town and headshots everyone. And the bloody scientist still has not bled out!! :argh:
2015_10_27_004406.jpg

Burlak, do something! Shoot him, for God's sake!!

Right as another burst from the armory pierces Burlak's heart, he manages to pull the trigger one last time. The last of their scientists is dead. We have executed our orders to the letter, even though we all had to die for it. For motherland! FOR RUSSIA!!! :salute:
2015_10_27_004424.jpg

Uh, no. I think we are good. :M

Mission accomplished. No posthumous medals for our men. :(
2015_10_27_004521.jpg

- You lost your personal tank.
- You failed to capture the labs.
- You failed to invent special ammunition.

Your service is an example to us all, comrade Gorky. Rest in peace, one of the many casualties in the wars born of American greed.

Scratch that. And they returned to the base as heroes, and lived happily ever after.

"B-But they were at death's door and unconscious, the bulldozer was burning, there were Macmillan's snipers coming down on them (I could hear the tanks approaching!), and the only other vehicles they could make their escape in were stranded in the base that was long captured by cyan forces!"

SILENCE! DO YOU DOUBT THE HEROISM, THE INGENUITY AND THE WILL TO SURVIVE OF A SOVIET SOLDIER, SON?! DO YOU?!! THEY ALL LIVED AND CAME OUT OF IT STRONGER! I HAVE PROOF!
2015_10_27_004541.jpg

Reminds me of an old Soviet joke about a heroic survivor.
- And they tied our hands and lined us up, and they said: 'Either you'll take it in the ass, or we'll shoot you to death'.
- And?
- 'And', 'and'... they shot me, of course!
The mystery of their survival will have to remain forever unanswered.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Um. I have done the mission in 10 minutes with 5 people in a way that was only possible because of a retarded vehicle choice (or else I would not be able to sneak inside the base from the back door).

This is actually not something that I thought was doable.

But fear not, I can easily save Masha, and I think there is a way to capture the labs... well, two of them, at least, because I need to destroy one to fit the bulldozer inside the base. The passage between the labs is too tight otherwise. :oops:

There is no way we can research the tech - we didn't go for the building routines.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
That was a disaster. I WANTED TO GIVE YOU A GOOD TANK, BRO, BUT THE TROLLS WON

Nevill

Arcane
That was a disaster.
I don't get it. The mission was a success. We have completed it, haven't we?

I WANTED TO GIVE YOU A GOOD TANK, BRO, BUT THE TROLLS WON
RUSSIA IS BEST COUNTRY, BULLDOZER IS BEST TANK!

I have to say, it made for a good James Bond feel - with Russian flavor. Have you seen all those defenses that we have totally duped? :M

The popamole sniper minigame was fun to play, too.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, we are, of course, proud that you win this mission with the dozer, but not getting the medals is just sad.

lightbane

Arcane
That was intense. Although you're free to restart it with a different starting locaiton, if only to see you do more bulldozer inanities.

Black

Arcane
I don't get it. The mission was a success. We have completed it, didn't we?

RUSSIA IS BEST COUNTRY, BULLDOZER IS BEST TANK!

I have to say, it made for a good James Bond feel - with Russian flavor. Have you seen all those defenses that we have totally duped? :M

The popamole sniper minigame was fun to play, too.
No medals and you lost a B+ scientist. Unacceptable.

Nevill

Arcane
FINE!
2015_10_27_205230.jpg

2015_10_27_205242.jpg

2015_10_27_205309.jpg
Feeling better? :M

I can't capture the labs if they are connected to the enemy depot, and there is no way I can destroy the depot. I am up against superior numbers, superior weapons, and superior skills.

I tried to bunker up, but it seems that if you do not spend your time building LOTS of defense, you are boned once the snipers and heavy guns come in with the third wave. I have cleared the second wave and captured 4 of their vehicles - and still lost to a swarm of 10 lvl infantry. So I'll just leave it at that.

What we've missed:
Why, this, of course:
7_Gensher.jpg
- This is major Genscher from UPF. Just to let you know Gorky, your obstinate attitude is about to kill you. We shall be fighting alongside our American allies.

Or this, if we didn't screw him over in the last mission.
7_Gensher.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, this is major Genscher from United Preservation Force. We are not a part of your quarrel and are about to leave. We offer our neutrality for right of free passage. (immediately afterwards the Arabians turn into soldiers and leave North. Their attitude is neutral)

Or even this, if we limited our backstabbing tendencies to just Kurt and didn't decide to up the ante by betraying Genscher as well, just for kicks.
7_Gensher.jpg
- This is major Genscher again, from UPF. We worked well together last time, Burlak. I suggest we join forces against Americans. Next time you attack, we can support you. You like that?
Gorky.jpg
- How many of you are there?
7_Gensher.jpg
- We have some men here. Between us we can run riot.

The Arab commander offers to join you in your fight against his current allies. Will you:
- Accept it.

Gorky.jpg
- OK. For this time we work together. But I will never consider you a true ally, Herr Genscher.
7_Gensher.jpg
- I’m glad to hear it!
- Reject it.
Gorky.jpg
- Last time we spoke you wanted the traitors and now you are traitor yourself! Red Army can win without help from men like you, Genscher.
7_Gensher.jpg
- You are no commander Burlak, you are a dumb bastard whose luck has run out. You are free to die on your own. (Arabians leave North immediately)
And of course, the glorious research.
Gorky.jpg
- Comrades scientists, I have thought about the vehicle teleportation device. It seems the Alaskite affects time and space. I am sure these aspect can be useful for weapons.
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Soviet scientists will examine the applications, commander.

8_Kapits.jpg
- Comrade commander, you were right about using space-time curvature for weapons. Bazookas can now fire new kind of grenade. It will instantly teleport enemy troops, to disperse and confuse them.
Gorky.jpg
- This is good. Continue the research.

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Comrade commander, Soviet scientists have developed another type of special ammunition for bazookas. It will slow down the enemy troops and put them at the mercy of our soldiers.
Gorky.jpg
- OK. Let's see it in combat.

I think bazookas are the only way to beat the cyan hordes.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Still not satisfied, SONS OF MOTHER RUSSIA DON'T LEAVE THE JOB HALF COMPLETE:russia:

Nevill

Arcane
Vladimir_765c18a99d180261e76f70d55b9537a7.png

Mission 10. Pursuit of Progress.

Interlude.
2015_10_27_004757.jpg

L. D. Trotsky base; September 2, 2 NR
After the successful operation against the American Epsilon base, Burlak returns to L. D. Trotsky for his new assignment.

We start the mission by being scolded for our performance in the previous one. Yeah, yeah, I know. :effort:
2015_10_27_004803.jpg

9_Yashin.jpg
- It's a pity you didn’t capture their research data, comrade Gorky. Now we don't even know what they were doing at Epsilon.
Gorky.jpg
- I saw with my own eyes they were researching Alaskite. And they aren’t using the properties of space-time curvature. They must have focused on something else.
9_Yashin.jpg
- Yes, but what! That is what you were supposed to learn!

A wild tank appears!
2015_10_27_205356.jpg

It's our bro, and he brings dire news. It would be even more dire if the actor could pronounce Tukhachevsky right. Instead it sounds like 'Tucharevsky' or something.
2015_10_27_004841.jpg

6_Sevi.jpg
- Marshal! The Americans are attacking Tukhachevsky base in the North. Reinforcements are requested.
9_Yashin.jpg
- Take a team to help them, comrade.
Popov_Radio.jpg
- (over radio) This is colonel Popov, calling Trotsky. Professor Gossudarov has been kidnapped by the mercenary group Legion.
9_Yashin.jpg
- How the hell did this happen, comrade Popov!?
Popov_Radio.jpg
- (over radio, hurriedly) We had made a discovery in one of the Alaskite mines. The Professor was excited and insisted on personal inspection of the object. We were loading it onto a truck when the mercenaries struck. They knew whom they wanted, I could do nothing, comrade marshal!
9_Yashin.jpg
- (into radio) Return immediately, comrade Popov. This was a bad mistake. (to Gorky) Comrade Gorky, you must deal with this. Take a team and find the mercenaries.
Gorky.jpg
- With all due respect, comrade marshal, do you think this is wise? We have two attacks that draw troops away from Trotsky. Perhaps it is a deliberate plan to leave the base weak...?
9_Yashin.jpg
- Do not worry, comrade Gorky, I have a little more experience in these things than you. Take your men and don't return without professor Gossudarov.
Gorky.jpg
- Understood, comrade marshal.
6_Sevi.jpg
- Good luck, Burlak. (all leave)

We have our objectives, people.
2015_10_27_004857.jpg

You will need no engineers in the following mission and you will be provided with about six vehicles. Select your team accordingly.
2015_10_27_004912.jpg

And we set out in search of our next plot coupon. :M
2015_10_27_005436.jpg

East of L. D. Trotsky; September 3, 2 NR
Arabs kidnapped professor Gossudarov and Burlak is set to rescue him. Hopefully, his short absence from L. D. Trotsky will not compromise the safety of the base.
:avatard:

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
By the way, you take mudslimes' sweet Heike, they take your old and decaying professor.
Seems like a good trade.

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 10. Pursuit of Progress.
This is a quick and easy mission. There is no base building of any kind involved - just ride in and pop moles at your leisure. There is a timed objective, but with our expertise it would be hard not to meet it.

Here is our team for the journey. Can't help but notice that scientists dabbling in driving make more than 50% of it. And then there is Raul, whom I have made a bazooka carrier with a specific purpose in mind...
2015_11_01_234646.jpg

The vehicles you get for the mission are all random, except for Masha. It could be tougher or easier, depending on what you've got. This run, I have 2 gun vehicles, a heavy gun one, a gatling tank and a rocket launcher. Pretty balanced team, if you ask me. Unfortunately, some of the tanks are wheeled, which is not ideal as the terrain in this mission is pretty rough.
2015_11_01_234604.jpg

First things first, we get Burlak in a combat vehicle. Masha is a fine tank, but running a bulldozer headfirst into the enemy lines will only get it destroyed in this mission. Burlak's skills would be best applied elsewhere. Scholtze can work as a stand-in driver.

We have barely started, and already something exploded. Someone must have stepped on an awesome button by accident.
2015_11_01_223001.jpg

We don't need to guess too hard what it was. The forest is crawling with suicidal apes.
2015_11_01_223016.jpg

Belkov_ghost.jpg
- Did you see that? It looked like Apeman. But it just…
5_Dolgov.jpg
- Even Apemen are against us, comrade commander. :negative:
Gorky.jpg
- They’ve programmed the poor bastards somehow. But we cannot take risks, shoot Apemen on sight!

Thank God for the gatling tank. We deal with the apes, then take care of the mortarmen who were shelling us all that while. They have escape vehicles ready, but with 3 heavy tanks on our side they don't even get to start the engine before blowing up.
2015_11_01_223246.jpg

The soldier tries to escape, but there is only one way out of these mountains. We intercept him... but then soon discover that it might have not been the best of our ideas.
2015_11_01_223357.jpg

Shultze.jpg
- Jesus! What’s going on?
5_Petrovova.jpg
- What shit are they throwing now?
Gorky.jpg
- These are Arabian, or at least mercenary, landmines. Take great care! They’re pretty nasty, one almost killed Vsevolod.

Yeah, we have walked right on the minefield. Ouch! Tanks won't pass here... well, not without a little help.

Had we not have been so greedy, we could have had this exchange:
Steyer.jpg
- (speaks from fog) This is Heike Steyer, calling major Gorky. We did business once and we can again. We both have the same enemy now; why not fight them together?
Gorky.jpg
- Do you think I'm stupid? You are Legion just like them.
Steyer.jpg
- No. Their leader is Robert Farmer, the one we call Pig. He is a madman on a mission and must be stopped. What do you say?
Gorky.jpg
- I say I don’t trust you an inch.
Steyer.jpg
- So my deputy will come to you, un-armed. Then it is I who must have faith in you, Burlak. He can guide you through the minefield, and we attack together with my men. What do you say now?
Gorky.jpg
- We can try. But if I have any doubts I will kill him.
But since we've chosen the harem, we must think of another way.

Hey, Mr. Kebab! I've heard from sweet Heike that you Arabs have the ability to detect the mines. Let's see how good you are at it!
2015_11_01_223523.jpg

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I guess that works! Lead the way!

The heavy armor allows Raul to survive several direct hits, and he has a 10th lvl scientist to assist him whenever he gets hurt. In just a minute, a narrow path opens for our vehicles to squeeze through... right into the sniper range. Wait, snipers? Arabs don't usually have those!
2015_11_01_223830.jpg

Belkov_ghost.jpg
- Damn, snipers! I thought we are after mercenaries, but that is American technology!
Gorky.jpg
- I always thought Americans were involved.

And the Arabs are trying to stall us for as much as possible to give their buddies more time to get to our drivers.
2015_11_01_223942.jpg

5_Dolgov.jpg
- We are just target practice. They'll pick us off one by one.
Gorky.jpg
- Hovercraft are fast but I don’t think they can be strong. A couple of bazooka rockets and they’ll be history.

Indeed, this rush in the face of a heavily armored force is nothing short of suicidal. The sniper, too, gets his rightful comeuppance once the distractions are removed.
2015_11_01_224018.jpg

We proceed, admiring beautiful sights on the way...
2015_11_01_224555.jpg

...get in a scuffle with yet another sniper who gravely injures Dr. Dolgov and makes me withdraw my heaviest hitter in a panic...
2015_11_01_224653.jpg

...and have a run-in with yet more hovercraft. I thought they would have learned their lesson by now! :?
2015_11_01_224747.jpg

Also, somewhere along the way we get ambushed by a flamethrower squad. Or, the horror! By the time it takes the game to recognize we've made contact, there is just a single vehicle unsuccessfully trying to limp out of the fight.
2015_11_01_225006.jpg

5_Dolgov.jpg
- Oh Jesus, flamethrowers! This is a bad way to die!
5_Petrovova.jpg
- Back in Siberia we could walk through a fire and still feel cold! This shit won’t stop me.
Gorky.jpg
- Sevi told me they had this in China. Move quickly, try and take it out before it gets near you.

Following the vehicle, we make contact with the Arabian installation. It is then when we get a transmission.
2015_11_01_225252.jpg

Yashin_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Comrade Gorky! This is Trotsky, finish up and return quickly. Vsevolod is in trouble and there is American attack coming. Move it!

Looks like things got heated back at home. But we must deal with the matters on our hands, first. Such as this bizarre vehicle...
2015_11_01_225313.jpg

5_Petrovova.jpg
- Jesus! What ever that thing is it’s dangerous!
5_Dolgov.jpg
- That’s it. I’m not getting fried for nothing! :decline:
8_Kozlov.jpg
- Seems like anything in the way gets fried. This isn’t going to be easy, comrade Gorky.
Gorky.jpg
- I must inform the base. It looks like a high-power laser. And the vehicle is definitely American. (into radio) This is major Gorky, calling Trotsky. We can confirm the mercenary Legion and Americans are working together.
Yashin_radio.jpg
- (over radio) This is what I feared, comrade Gorky. Proceed with your task.
Gorky.jpg
- Understood, comrade general.

176 damage agains vehicles. Not too shabby at all. Even though it goes down fast, it causes significant damage. And then we get piled upon by the Arab infantry.
2015_11_01_225452.jpg

We are caught in a bad place. We can't turn around, our heavy gun tank is stuck, the frontliners are too damaged, and the gatling tank lags behind with no hope to swap places.

Soon our tanks are destroyed and our drivers are shot.
2015_11_01_225527.jpg

Reload. :argh:

Alright, so the right move, although a bit counter-intuitive one, is to press on inside the enemy base instead of engaging the laser tank right away. The soldiers panic and scatter.
2015_11_01_225945.jpg

Much better.

We are not right in the heart of their base, battered, but unbroken!
2015_11_01_230203.jpg

Yashin_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Gorky! This is Yashin! We are under heavy American attack. We can't hold much longer. Tukhachevsky is in trouble, we have no reserves nearby. Hurry, Gorky, or Trotsky will not be here when you return.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) I'll do what I can, comrade Marshal, but we are a long way. It seems it was all a plan....
Yashin_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Gorky, you must be here in five minutes or we are all dead!
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) It is impossible...
Yashin_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Damn you, Gorky! (to others) All forces retreat! Run for the trees! Disperse and survive. Disperse and survive!!!!

Things are not going well, are they? Eh, we can't expect everyone to be as competent as we are. On our side, though, everything is splendid. Mere 3 seconds after the first transmission we get this sequence...
2015_11_01_230236.jpg

Gosudarov.jpg
- Russian voices? Is it possible!? Comrades!
Gorky.jpg
- Glad to see you alive, professor. Now hurry, we must return to Trotsky.
Gosudarov.jpg
- No! The mercenaries took the object we discovered, the "Artefact". It's billions of years old. We must take it!
Gorky.jpg
- So where is it professor?
Gosudarov.jpg
- I don't know. It was loaded on the truck. We must find it, comrade. I will not return without it! (the truck is actually not far away, hidden in a forest)

Secondary objectives received.
- Locate and regain the Artefact.

See, we know how to do our job! Wait, professor, I think your choise of a moment when to show up could have been better...
2015_11_01_230329.jpg

One fried professor, coming up! :negative:

Reload. :argh:

Right, so this time I think we pay more attention to our positioning. Masha goes on the right flank, to intercept any potential flamers getting to my damaged vehicles, while we use the burning Arabian tanks as a natural obstacle to shoot the enemies without them getting close. Lesson learned, never get cocky in this game - it'll find a way to make you regret it.
2015_11_01_230915.jpg

We now have a free reign. The 'dozer finally gets to shine!
2015_11_01_231011.jpg

Not even a second laser vehicle can ruin our victory now. In fact, we feel confident enough that we can afford to capture it and bring it back with us FOR SCIENCE.
2015_11_01_231528.jpg

Beyond the base lie more sniper hideouts and kamikaze apes. This is a second route inside the base, and probably an easier one, seeing how there are no mines lying around.
2015_11_01_231810.jpg

But that does not concern us. Our concern is the truck and its cargo that the professor absolutely refuses to leave without.
2015_11_01_231911.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Look here! This is our vehicle.
5_Petrovova.jpg
- (walks to the vehicle) What the hell have they loaded on it?
Gorky.jpg
- It must be what Popov spoke of, from the alaskite mine. We should take it. It could be useful for our research programme.

Once we capture it, the mission is over.
2015_11_01_231946.jpg

Mission Accomplished.

+ Quick action.
+ No casualties.
+ Vehicles preserved.

Intermission screen.
2015_11_01_232050.jpg

All in all, a welcome departure from the usual rape we got so accustomed to in this wonderful campaign. :salute:

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You ought to go back and redo the mission where you got no medals. I'm wondering what the research was that you never got around to do? Or do you get the opportunity to do that research later?

Nevill

Arcane
I'm wondering what the research was that you never got around to do? Or do you get the opportunity to do that research later?
I think I covered it in the appropriately named "What we've missed" section. :M

It's a special kind of ammunition for our rockets - one that scatters enemy troops randomly (can be beneficial, can be disastrous), and the other that slows them down to a crawl. Both make for a highly effective 'divide and conquer' tactics.

Yes, it can be researched at a later date.

Mission 11. New End.

Interlude.
Once again, we return as victors. But what shall we find once we get back?
2015_11_01_232108.jpg

L. D. Trotsky base; September 4, 2 NR
Burlak's success in rescuing Professor Gossudarov is marred by news from Trotsky. With fear in his heart, Burlak races towards the base that he once built…

Not a lot, it seems. :M
2015_11_01_232110.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- My base! How could this happen!? How!!!?
I think us dismantling all armories to meet the quotas may have something to do with it. :M
6_Sevi.jpg
- There was nothing I could do Burlak, I swear.
9_Macmillan.jpg
- (over radio) Welcome home, Burlak!
Why hello there, Macmillan! Still butthurt about your girlfriend? Yeah, me too. The harem would never be complete without her. :(
Gorky.jpg
- (over radio) You bastard!
9_Macmillan.jpg
- You destroyed Epsilon, you little commie shit. This is only the beginning of my revenge. There will be more. MUCH MORE.

The actors are practically chewing the scenery at this point.
2015_11_02_211355.jpg

Popov.jpg
- We came as quickly as we could.
Gaydar.jpg
- We were too far away.
9_Yashin.jpg
- This is a terrible loss, but we cannot let it stop us. We must continue. The atrocity must be avenged!
6_Sevi.jpg
- How many men do we have?
Popov.jpg
- Our casualties weren’t too bad comrade. We can still summon a powerful force.
You mean, not only I don't have to answer for the loss of this shoddily constructed piece of junk, but we also didn't lose anyone important? My lucky day... uh, I mean, my base! MUH POOR BASE!!! :negative:

9_Yashin.jpg
- Then we take these men and strike at Beta and we do it now, the Yanks won't expect reprisal to be so fast.
Gorky.jpg
- Are you sure this is the right thing to do? Our men are tired, demoralised....
9_Yashin.jpg
- They are here and so is the equipment we need! Our enemies are in Beta congratulating themselves, and that is where they will die!
Gorky.jpg
- Comrade Yashin...
Gaydar.jpg
- Enough talk! We must restore pride to our men quickly. American blood is all that will do. We must be avenged now! (general murmur of agreement)

2015_11_01_232142.jpg

South of American Beta base; September 5, 2 NR
Blinded by fury, the Russian commanders agreed on retaliation against American Beta base. Burlak has his reservations, though…
:avatard::hero::bunkertime:

Gentlemen, I think it's about to hit the fan.
495f8b5fdfc5.jpg

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
ITZ is about to happen. I suppose that at this point the Alliance path is barred from entry by virtue of having killed many important characters. :troll:

Black

Arcane
5_Petrovova.jpg
- Back in Siberia we could walk through a fire and still feel cold! This shit won’t stop me.

Waifu material :love:

Nevill

Arcane
I suppose that at this point the Alliance path is barred from entry by virtue of having killed many important characters.
You have seen nothing yet. :M

Mission 11. New End.

That's... a lot of tanks. They are serious about it.
2015_11_01_232145.jpg

Marshal Yashin takes matters in his hands and immediately starts giving orders.
2015_11_02_211626.jpg

9_Yashin.jpg
- This is the area. Split into teams and advance North. When you make contact with enemy, withdraw. Vsevolod, you will go East, Sergei, you proceed West. Timur will head straight to the Centre. Comrade Gorky, you'll stay here and build a support base. Is everybody clear?
6_Sevi.jpg
Popov.jpg
Gaydar.jpg
- (together) Yes, comrade marshal!

9_Yashin.jpg
- (when other groups leave) Comrade Gorky. If you have any doubts about my orders, past or present, you will keep them to yourself! Do you understand me?
Gorky.jpg
9_Yashin.jpg
- (livid) DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!???
Gorky.jpg
- Yes, comrade marshal.

You can see Vsevolod heading for the eastern forest. The others have already left. Here's our task.
2015_11_02_211731.jpg

Fun fact, the game never defines what qualifies for a support base. What you need to do is have a base built by the time the scouts return, with a lab and a factory (upgraded workshop). As always, no one cares if they are functional (powered), just that they are built. :|

We better get started, then. We locate two oil deposits - in case our supply we brought in a cargo truck won't be enough, - and build a depot in-between them.
2015_11_02_212230.jpg

Meanwhile, Gaydar makes contact with the central defenses. They are on a high ground, so their range is ridiculous. He quickly withdraws.
2015_11_02_211754.jpg

Popov has better luck. There are less defenses in the west, so he makes it farther before deciding to retreat.
2015_11_02_212057.jpg

Vsevolod emerges from the forest only to find a laser tower staring right at him. Looks like the Americans have all sides covered.
2015_11_02_212253.jpg

By the time the scouts head back, we have the base up and running.
2015_11_02_213251.jpg

Kirilenkova.jpg
- I’ve thought about our teleportation grenades, comrade major. I may have an idea how to extend the range significantly. With a good lab, I can work on it.

More toys are always nice, even though they are not a substitute for BRAVERY and HONOR! But we don't get time to satisfy our scientific curiosity.
2015_11_02_220058.jpg

9_Yashin.jpg
- Report, comrades!

2015_11_02_213628.jpg

6_Sevi.jpg
- (camera pans) There is a forest to the East and difficult terrain. We can’t use our vehicles there.

2015_11_02_213635.jpg

Popov.jpg
- (camera pans) There’s a sparse forest in the West. We could get through and turn their flank.

2015_11_02_220010.jpg

Gaydar.jpg
- (camera pans) In the centre, more dense forest.

Yashin reaches a conclusion and comes to a decision quickly.

9_Yashin.jpg
- Thank you, comrades. The Americans want us to attack from the left, which is why we will not do it. We'll cut a path through the forest and attack from the centre. Comrade Gorky, how far did you get with our base?
Gorky.jpg
- Everything is ready, comrade Marshal.
9_Yashin.jpg
- Excellent, comrade Gorky. Now we shall need two bulldozers.

That's a task we can get behind!
2015_11_02_213724.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Comrade marshal, on my last mission I encountered a new American weapon - a high-energy laser that would kill a man the moment it touched him.
9_Yashin.jpg
- No American crap will stop us, comrade Gorky. Get on with your business.
Gorky.jpg
- But our scientists are promising a new technology for instantaneous transportation. Maybe it could...
9_Yashin.jpg
- Enough! We have time for work only! Get moving.

We have already constructed a tracked extension, we only need to add a non-combat one. However, my workers can't get to it, as we seem to have constructed our base too close to the American one, and anyone stepping too far north is considered trying a hostile action.
2015_11_02_213815.jpg

9_Yashin.jpg
- Your objective is to build support base and vehicles, comrade Gorky. Get back to your job and leave the fighting to us.

Worse yet, after I finish the construction with just two of the engineers who don't step over a magical line, the extension itself seems to cross it, so the marshal reminds me of it every 10 seconds. The factory is not going to fight anyone by itself, FFS! :decline:

We build a bulldozer, and immediately it changes colors. Wait, it's too early! Didn't you ask me to build two of those?
2015_11_02_214041.jpg

And where are you going, colonel Popov?

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!

HANDS OFF OF MY MASHA, YOU FREAKY LUSTY PERVERTED SON OF A WHORE!!!! :argh::argh::argh:
2015_11_02_214054.jpg

RELEASE ME AT ONCE!! NOBODY TOUCHES MY TANK!!! I'LL BUILD YOU ANOTHER BULLDOZER, LEAVE HER ALONE!!
2015_11_02_214112.jpg

SHE WILL HAVE NO PART IN YOUR SUICIDAL PLANS!! :negative::negative::negative:

Mark my words, colonel Popov, you are a dead man. :mad:

I get Gorky busy in the lab, working on his revenge plans - and bazookas - while col. Popov and some other driver engage in a bulldozing action.
2015_11_02_214117.jpg

Alaskite-powered Masha is clearly superior to the old oil-powered prototype, and rushes ahead.
2015_11_02_214138.jpg

The second 'dozer hopelessly lags behind.
2015_11_02_214154.jpg

Masha does all the work and turns to head back by the time her 'helper' catches up. That's my baby! :hug:
2015_11_02_214221.jpg
Once the path is cleared, both vehicles are parked just outside the base. Surprisingly enough, no shots were fired at them during their work, even though when Gaydar went scouting he had spotted several fortifications. I wonder if that's a good or a bad sign... :?
2015_11_02_214249.jpg

No time to ponder that! Let the attack commence!

I will be keeping an eye on colonel Popov. I want to make sure that he who defiled Masha does not get to die in his bed. :mad:
Edited.jpg

2015_11_02_214329.jpg

6_Sevi.jpg
- Attack! Attack! Victory is ours!
Gaydar.jpg
- Kill the Yankee shit!
Popov.jpg
- Come on, comrades! We are many and we are strong!
Love_is_a_battlefield...jpg
9_Yashin.jpg
- Forward, comrades, for communism, for Russia!

Yashin is leading by example. Unfortunately, this also means his vehicle is the first one to catch fire. And lasers. And high-caliber shells. He pushes forward on foot!
2015_11_02_214342.jpg

However, what awaits us here seems to be a bit beyond even our wildest expectations.
2015_11_02_214349.jpg

6_Sevi.jpg
- My God, Burlak was right. We won't get through these lasers.
9_Yashin.jpg
- At least, we'll die like Soviet men…

What a man says, a man does. :salute:
2015_11_02_214352.jpg

9_Yashin.jpg
- My comrades! (close to tears) Brothers, please....forgive me. (dies)

His death does not deter his commanders, though.
2015_11_02_214354.jpg

Popov.jpg
- Don't count the dead, onward!
Gaydar.jpg
- They are running! Forward!

What they fail to realize is that's their engineers, running to repair the turrets that still stand strong. They are forced out of their vehicles...
2015_11_02_214405.jpg

...and die together. :salute:
2015_11_02_214414.jpg

Popov.jpg
- Onward! (dies)
Gaydar.jpg
- I can make it, I can, I must...(dies)

The lasers kill them both simultaneously. Still a better love story than Twilight.

Rest in peace, comrade Popov, comrade Gaydar. You were jerks and I wanted to kill you anyway, but this way I don't have to be court-martialed, and for that I am grateful. :salute:
2015_11_02_214423.jpg

Having lost most of their high-ranking officers, some of the soldiers waver and turn back. It is obvious that the offensive has failed.
2015_11_02_214428.jpg

But someone still has to cover their retreat so that they may get to safety.
Edited2.jpg

And that someone is...
2015_11_02_214442.jpg

6_Sevi.jpg
- Burlak. Don't be mad at me, I die for Russiaaaaaaaaa! (dies)
Gorky.jpg
- Sevi! :eek:

Figures. He was the only remaining senior officer, after all. :salute:

And then... silence.
2015_11_02_214514.jpg

What a disaster!
2015_11_02_214524.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- (very softly, total shock) My God.
Titov.jpg
- It was a nightmare, Burlak. A terrible, terrible nightmare.
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- We would have got there, major. Those lasers...(trails off)
Kuzmov.jpg
- Shit! Shit! Shit!
Gnyevko.jpg
- I can’t get the stench of burning flesh out of my head....
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- It cannot be true. It cannot!
Kozlov.jpg
- You were right, comrade major. You knew we should have waited, planned an attack. Not run into certain death.
Oblukov.jpg
- I've seen nothing like it before.
Gorky.jpg
- Neither had I.
Furmanov.jpg
- Comrade Major, you are the senior officer now. You must lead us out of this despair.
Gorky.jpg
- Do not worry, comrade. I will lead, and we will destroy the American base (build to climax) even if I have to rip it apart with my bare hands!

2015_11_02_214603.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- (calmer) This is major Yuri I. Gorky, calling all troops. I am now in command of this mission. Do not despair, we shall destroy the Americans. We all have our reasons now. But first we must defend. They know our losses, they will try to finish us off swiftly now. We must hold them back and then we shall prepare a new attack. But this time we will plan our victory first. Prepare for battle comrades!

ITZ has come, and it plans on staying. How do Gorky and a handful of survivors can hope to live through this hell? Whatever shall they do?
2015_11_02_214619.jpg

Find out in the next installment of the Original War series! Coming next Thursday!
:neveraskedforthis:

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Be a true comrade, comrade! Fight the Americans on the bodies of your fellow fallen comrades. Don't let their deaths be in vain! To the north!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom