Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post a screenshot of your first RPG

dinksmallwood9.jpg

I still dont know:lol:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My first RPG... that is a damn good question. It's possible I played something that could be classified as RPG on Amstrad, and I don't remember. I'm gonna guess Lands of Lore (around 94/95?) but I could be wrong.

2ReNCvP.jpg

I think my "first" crpg ever was technically PoR, but I was maybe 7 or 8 when I first played it. I had no idea what I was doing, and I didn't get anywhere, and I can actually remember getting very angry at my older brother a couple times for playing what I thought of as his "boring game", instead of the Sierra and Lucasarts games that I loved to play together with him.

What I consider my first cRPGs though would come a few years later.
My parents had a strict "one computer game per-Christmas rule", but I remember in (I think it was '92, but it honestly could have been '93 or '94) I managed to bamboozle my poor Alzheimer's-addled grandmother into getting me a second one without telling my parents, and so on Christmas morning I woke up to:

9001.jpg

AND:

uw1level1.jpg

Needless to say it was easily the best Christmas ever, even though I thought my Mom was actually going to strangle her mother-in-law over the Christmas table. I can't even remember how it was that I came to ask 'Santa" for these games, as I had at that point pretty much only ever played traditional PnC adventure games and the occasional popamole console release like SMB3 at friends' houses (At a certain point as a kid I got very into high-fantasy, and I must have seen ads or something for them). UU in particular blew my fucking mind, and has probably had as great an impact on my development as any great literary work from the western canon. I steamrolled through it before the break was even over (roughly one week -no small feat in the pre-internet days); Darklands took me a significantly longer amount of time (and to be honest, I'm a little fuzzy on whether or not I ever actually finished the MQ; I should give it another playthrough one of these days). Hard to judge time as a kid, but I felt like I was playing it for years and years to come.

Anyways... yeah. That was some good shit.

Good thread.

Real good thread.

A600

Educated
Bloodwych on an Amstrad CPC 464 (green monitor + tape). It took me two months but I could finish the mother fucker.

tGS5goH.png

Mortmal

Arcane
Bloodwych on an Amstrad CPC 464 (green monitor + tape). It took me two months but I could finish the mother fucker.

tGS5goH.png
No internet, no walkthrough and no automap of course, was pretty common to take lot of time to finish games without that. Its the only Dungeon master coop game i can remember of.

Grubba

Arcane
Memory is a bit hazy so it's tough to say which was the first, but I do recall encountering these all at around the same time:

neverwinternights--article_image.jpg

478_4a584d288f4ab.jpg

lord02o.jpg

guess I'm not considering old nintendo, tho

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
My first RPG:

hqdefault.jpg

My second RPG:

qov-9.png

castle-of-the-winds_3.gif

castle-of-the-winds_4.gif

My third RPG:

d1.jpg

diablo.png

My fourth RPG:

18240-fallout-2-windows-screenshot-getting-married-shotgun-style.gif

Fallout2-reactor.jpg

My fifth RPG:

316735-baldursgatebig.jpg

baldursgate-1998.jpg

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Earthbound for the SNES.

2ykkuty.png

CRPG's came later when I had a little hair on my balls...and a PC.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I posted my first PC RPGs earlier but here's my first console "RPG" which I played before that:

"Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" on the Intellivision. It takes a few liberties with the PnP rules... :lol:

70rVwUK.png

And check out that sweet overland map:
hjr56PE.png
I remember this game, I had it too. There was another one that was much more of an RPG, this first person dungeon crawler that actually had stats in it. They were both really bad. I want to say it was called Treasures of Tarmac or something.

SBvQnOo.jpg

Wizardry 1 on the NES was my first RPG. I learned to read by watching my dad play, and after I figured it out I played it too.

hA9xk0Y.png

It was a huge deal when I got Shining Force 2 for the Sega Genesis. I was 5 or 6 years old and my mom would rent it for me every other weekend from Erol's (remember Erol's anyone??). I guess my parents decided it was less expensive to buy it than to keep renting it, so when my dad picked me up from school one day, he told me he had a big surprise for me waiting in the back seat of the car. I flipped out when it was Shining Force. I played the hell out of it, I got my friends to play it, we played pretend Shining Force on the playground, in third grade I had a birthday sleepover party and all we did was play Shining Force.

UHwTtr9.jpg

I played a bunch of the Goldbox games, but by far the one I spent the most time with was Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures. I made a shitload of horrible modules that fortunately have been lost to time. The only one I really remember was this one where your village burns down and you get this iron golem on your team, except there was no way to get party members who were bigger than a single square so you'd start every single battle with an ally iron golem whether or not you'd even met it yet. I think I was about 8 years old?

B3c5Zup.jpg

I played a ton of Elder Scrolls: Arena when I was young, too. I remember my first character, a Redguard spellsword named Eric. It's kind of weird, but I used to cast passwall on the walls in inns and create these big mazes and tunnels, almost like Minecraft but 15 years earlier.

P6mVvSC.jpg

Phantasy Star IV was another game I used to rent really often. I never got past Motavia before I had to take it back and got so excited when I finally found a copy at Funcoland (REMEMBER FUNCOLAND????????) I sat down with a tape recorder and recorded all my favorite songs from the game when I was probably about 8 or 9, and the soundtrack is a huge influence on the music I write for games today. I don't understand why more games don't use its comic book presentation for cutscenes, because they added so much character to the game.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
SSI-DungeonHack-Combat.jpg

Oh man, I totally forgot about it. I remember this one time, this little girl who had a huge crush on me named Meggy was over at my house when I was about 8 and I was playing Dungeon Hack. She came over and watched me play, and then after a while said, "you sure like that video game, huh?" trying to get my attention. Hell yes I do, leave me alone.

Anyway, that incident set the precedent for the rest of my miserable life.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
. I remember this one time, this little girl who had a huge crush on me named Meggy was over at my house when I was about 8 and I was playing Dungeon Hack. She came over and watched me play, and then after a while said, "you sure like that video game, huh?" trying to get my attention. Hell yes I do, leave me alone.

Anyway, that incident set the precedent for the rest of my miserable life.

That reminds me of something I saw the other day...

geek.png

Nyast

Cipher
dungeon-master-ss5.gif

Good times...

The only 2 older games I can think of were Total Eclipse and Gauntlet 2 on CPC but they don't qualify as RPGs. Or do they ? Some people posted Diablo.. hmm..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom