Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

Thats basically how Valkyrie Profile worked, Hard mode wasn't actually very hard unless you were too retarded to find/use the superior weapons that were available.
Plus the "malus" of having characters start at level 1 meant you could control their growth into something decent instead of getting a level 20 recruit with mediocre stats.

Arkeus

Arcane
Thats basically how Valkyrie Profile worked, Hard mode wasn't actually very hard unless you were too retarded to find/use the superior weapons that were available.
Well, at least there is actually some significant drawback for once, like getting artes laters and so on. Graces was just ridiculous, as it gave more EXP and loot. So basically after half an hour of playing on a harder mode it was easier than the previous one. Well, except for your party members being idiots.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Edna with her umbrella reminds me of a Touhou character whose name I can't recall.

Also, I've got one badass bodyguard:

13968.jpg

Arkeus

Arcane
Yeah, I think everyone has Laihla with Mint costume and Sunglasses. I also have Devil Wings on her. Because they fit her.

GrainWetski

Arcane

Why did the silly fuckers remove the vocals? Greedy Warner licensing? Obviously the above is the Japanese intro.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, I'm mostly enjoying this. The story is basically The Chosen One Must Choose and the characters are JRPG cliches, but I do enjoy how needlessly overcomplicated the combat and skill/equipment systems are. By that, I mean they're more complicated than actually seems to matter in-game -- but I do enjoy all the options they give you.

The only problem so far is that I'm playing on Hard and... the game actually isn't hard at all? Especially given that I'm definitely not even that good at this kind of combo-based action combat. Though maybe it's because I haven't played that much (I'm currently in the plague town) and JRPG difficulty does often tend to pick up around mid-game.

Also, I dislike blatant rock-paper-scissors systems like this game has when it comes to seraphic, martial and hidden arte interrupts. This is just a matter of personal (dis)taste, though.

Arkeus

Arcane
The only problem so far is that I'm playing on Hard and... the game actually isn't hard at all? Especially given that I'm definitely not even that good at this kind of combo-based action combat. Though maybe it's because I haven't played that much (I'm currently in the plague town) and JRPG difficulty does often tend to pick up around mid-game.
You didn't have any issues killing the Welcome Wolf next to the Ghalad Ruins (one where you got the bow), or the Big Bird equivalent next to Plague Town?

I also know I did die a few times in boss fights- the one with Assassin girl went well, but the boss fight in the sewers killed me a couple times, and likewise the boss fight in the museum of plague town.

Crooked Bee

Patron
You didn't have any issues killing the Welcome Wolf next to the Ghalad Ruins (one where you got the bow), or the Big Bird equivalent next to Plague Town?

I also know I did die a few times in boss fights- the one with Assassin girl went well, but the boss fight in the sewers killed me a couple times, and likewise the boss fight in the museum of plague town.

I died to the sewer boss once before I learned the aforementioned rock-paper-scissors arte interrupt system, but I just did the museum one and it was a cakewalk. This isn't to brag or anything -- I've been fusing my equipment pretty much at random (see a fusing option? do it!), and not min-maxing to any extent. I just think armatization is OP, for one. You basically can't die in that form, as long as you dodge the boss' more deadly attacks. Plus you can heal yourself any time with RT, as long as your Blast Gauge is full (and you can replenish it easily).

I haven't tried any of the optional encounters like the wolf or the bird, though. I haven't had much time to play so I've been focusing on the main story, neglecting all optional stuff as well as exploration.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One time, in the original Tales of Destiny, I got to a puzzle that was mistranslated. All I had to do to get past it was try EVERY FUCKING COMBINATION OF FOUR LETTERS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. I did it though. Took me 24 hours of doing nothing but entering codes but I did it. That was indeed my greatest accomplishment as a gamer since that puzzle has since been deemed impossible. At any rate, I've been meaning to try more Tales of games ever since, but I can't help shake the feeling of a Giant Ravioli Monster staring at me from afar with sad eyes....

I actually swore I'd never play one again, but reading this forum is giving me an odd urge to spike my hair, grab my good sword, and once again embark on a TALE.

Hmm....

:rage:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Definitely enjoying the game. I still don't like the skill system or the equipment fusion system but the battle system is fun (though easy), the characters and plot are enjoyable so far, and the dungeons seem like fairly typical 'Tales of' stuff, unless they take a dive in quality at some point I'm not too sure what the complaints are about.

I guess I can see why people were upset about Alisha. Definitely one of the better 'Tales of' heroines.

Arkeus

Arcane
I guess I can see why people were upset about Alisha. Definitely one of the better 'Tales of' heroines.
Amusingly she is by far the least favorite of the chars for me, so I am in fact glad that she doesn't take too much time.

Also, fuck, I am a bad player. Had to bring down the game to moderate in order to kill a sidequest boss (quest to bring back the Bell lord of the land).

Gerrard

Arcane
Am I the only person who thinks the character designs in this are bad? Were they designed by Clamp by any chance, what is up with those proportions?

I thought they should finally make a new Tales MMO now that you can actually have proper action combat in one, but then I realized it would be full of shit like this because fuck Namco.

I need to finally go play Radiant Mythology games now that there's a working emulator.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The sheer animu factor in the trailers for this game gave me cancer, diabetes, and a severe case of the rickets.

set

Cipher
In a word Zestiria is 'playable'. If you're into JRPGs, I think in general you'll find the character moments and action combat to work just enough to propel the game forward.

But just to list some obvious faults:

"Open world" is extremely linear (duh, it's a modern jrpg)...defeating the purpose of the 'open' part
"Open world" is vast and empty, making travel more a chore than a treat
Difficulty is pretty much non-existant
The lack of game balance means you'll be utilizing some party members way more often than others (how the elemental resistance system works out is just plain obnoxious)
Skill system is convoluted, but not deep. It's also annoying that finding new equipment basically equates to having to fight without all your necessary skills, at certain points.
Fujoshi ruin everything (On a more serious note..."Bromance" doesn't make for a bad story element; when was the last time I saw a good brotherly bond in a video game? it's just Mikleo is too effeminate and dull; A dynamic like Kurama/Hiei clearly works in anime, but here it's excuted in a very boring way for me)

The game's biggest strength is the fusion system...But also its greatest weakness. On one hand, I rather enjoy fusing and unfusing with the various party members to build up interesting combos. It flows well and plays well. But it restricts viable party setups and to be perfectly honest - having a larger party is more fun. Being forced to fuse all the time means fewer party members, fewer things to manage...Easier game. It also isn't handled all that well as a story element; it should be a lot more awkward and intimate to be sharing headspace with a bunch of weirdos. Yet it's very understated.

Arkeus

Arcane
In a word Zestiria is 'playable'. If you're into JRPGs, I think in general you'll find the character moments and action combat to work just enough to propel the game forward.

But just to list some obvious faults:

"Open world" is extremely linear (duh, it's a modern jrpg)...defeating the purpose of the 'open' part
How far in are you? The 'open world' actually is more open than it seems if you are careful.
"Open world" is vast and empty, making travel more a chore than a treat
Very true. Some places are very, very big for almost nothing in.
Difficulty is pretty much non-existant
Not for sucky players like me! I had the hardest time being able to kill some bosses (Had to go down to hard for a lot of different bosses until I managed to significantly upgrade my gear for example).
The lack of game balance means you'll be utilizing some party members way more often than others (how the elemental resistance system works out is just plain obnoxious)
Skill system is convoluted, but not deep. It's also annoying that finding new equipment basically equates to having to fight without all your necessary skills, at certain points.
Fujoshi ruin everything (On a more serious note..."Bromance" doesn't make for a bad story element; when was the last time I saw a good brotherly bond in a video game? it's just Mikleo is too effeminate and dull; A dynamic like Kurama/Hiei clearly works in anime, but here it's excuted in a very boring way for me)
Ah. Well, I really like a lot of the Mikelo/Sorrey playing off each others, especially when they are in ruins.

However, the best parts are, for me, all the gal's antics.
The game's biggest strength is the fusion system...But also its greatest weakness. On one hand, I rather enjoy fusing and unfusing with the various party members to build up interesting combos. It flows well and plays well. But it restricts viable party setups and to be perfectly honest - having a larger party is more fun. Being forced to fuse all the time means fewer party members, fewer things to manage...Easier game. It also isn't handled all that well as a story element; it should be a lot more awkward and intimate to be sharing headspace with a bunch of weirdos. Yet it's very understated.
OK, that part seems to be talking about a very different game, as it's a huuuuge plot point that's constantly being brought up. Less so for Sorey than for Rose though.

erickaqua

Educated
My goodness Rose is total shit. She feels like a fanfic Mary Sue and worse, the writers keeps shilling her about how noble, pure, and good she is despite being a freaking assassin.

Give back Alisha ):<

set

Cipher
I'm just about to get to Rose. Maybe I'm focusing on too much of the early game, but our protagonist gets three people in his head in a rather rapid amount of time and it was all handled nonchalantly.

Arkeus

Arcane
I'm just about to get to Rose. Maybe I'm focusing on too much of the early game, but our protagonist gets three people in his head in a rather rapid amount of time and it was all handled nonchalantly.
Ah. Well, it's actually possibly the main theme of the game, or at least is heavily linked to it, so there will be a lot about it, though Sorrey himself is weirdly chill about it (Rose is not, and she has it much worse off).

Malpercio

Arcane
My goodness Rose is total shit. She feels like a fanfic Mary Sue and worse, the writers keeps shilling her about how noble, pure, and good she is despite being a freaking assassin.

Give back Alisha ):<

Bitch please, Alisha has no personality (and pants).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom