Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
This game looks very interesting, thanks comrade!

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Alright, so I promised everyone a small update. Here we go.

Mission 5. From the taiga to the British seas...
The Red Army does not condone slaughtering civilians. The scientist is free to go. :salute:
2015_10_08_225828.jpg

He is heading north, back to his forces. As he and his colleague part ways, our scientists report an important breakthrough. That was fast!
2015_10_08_221901.jpg

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- We have trained Apemen to work, comrade commander. All you need now is to take him to depot and put him in the outfit.
Gorky.jpg
- Good work, comrades.

And it doesn't take much longer to find another occupation for the apes...
2015_10_08_222102.jpg

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- We now know how to make Apeman fight, comrade commander. Just take him to armoury and give him kit. They will make good soldiers.
Gorky.jpg
- Excellent work, comrades.

Americans made a very big deal out of training monkeys, with one of their lead scientists, Tim Gladstone (and, coincidentally, the same guy we killed in the very first mission of the campaign :lol:), spending over a year in their company while taking notes. The Russians just made an off-hand remark and decoded their language as a sidenote, while being in a hurry to reach another base through enemy lines. Just pointing it out in case anyone needed further proof of Soviet science superiority... :cool:

I recycle three of my most damaged vehicles - you can see one of them being sent to workshop to be dismantled on the screenshot above. I don't have enough oil to refuel them all anyway. I try to repair other ones, because I know peace isn't going to last. Sure enough, soon we get visitors.
2015_10_08_222259.jpg

Meet the Arabian hovertank - a nasty pest, if there was one. It can cross water unimpeded, and is very mobile to boot, so it can harass my units almost with impunity by hitting and running away. Thankfully, its armor is non-existent and the heaviest weapon they could fit on it is double machine gun. It still can wreak havoc if it gets a drop on your scientists or engineers, but thankfully, the first one to meet it was my mechanic who was also repairing a tank. Crisis averted...

...well, it would have been averted, if my vehicle was fully repaired. As it is, though, I have to send help because it is breaking down very fast, and you do not want to expose your mechanics to double machine guns, or, Party forbid, let it through to shoot at your defenceless engineer line.
2015_10_08_222408.jpg

As if one hovertank wasn't enough, we also get visitors from the north. It is a gatling tank vehicle - ineffective against my tanks, but we only have machine guns ourselves, are nearly out of fuel, and are hurting from the previous attack.
2015_10_08_222435.jpg

The hovertank gets away. :argh: It is no use trying to pursue it - it is probably the fastest vehicle in the game. It will be back once the mechanics repair it. :negative:
2015_10_08_222524.jpg

But at least we can now concentrate on one target - the gatling tank. Unable to cope with 3 vehicles at once, it tries to flee, but we are on top of the situation. By steering my own tank close to the Arabian one, I can prevent it from turning while shooting at it point-blank. Essentially the same tactics that allowed me to stop Gorky in the American campaign.
2015_10_08_222601.jpg

Having no luck in turning right, it attempts another maneuver. It hits the breaks, drives backwards, and tries to move in another direction. However, I put it inside a triangle of my own vehicles, from which there can be no escape as they slowly trap it between them. Micromanagement is serious business in this game. :M
2015_10_08_222622.jpg

Soon, the tank and its driver are but history. But damn, was he a good soldier. All of my vehicles are smoking.
2015_10_08_222725.jpg

I try to capture and repair the gatling tank, as it is going to be one of my strongest weapons for a while (even though not the sturdies one - Arabs have very little in the way of armor), but I barely manage to make a few passes with a wrench before I am besieged by another gatling tank. This is going to be messy - if any of my vehicles catch fire, the drivers risk being killed, since it is a long way back to base.
2015_10_08_222804.jpg

Thankfully, with a bit of running back and forth, forcing the new enemy to spread fire between the targets, we manage to damage it enough to scare it away. Whew.
2015_10_08_222933.jpg

We hold a repair-and-refuel session right there, except I bring one of the tanks to the south in case the hovertank decides to pay another visit. I also upgrade the lab to the Weapons one and command my engineers to construct a power plant, to be able to use it. Thinks seem to have stabilized...
2015_10_08_223223.jpg

...for half a minute, because the gatling vehicle we have driven off returned shortly afterwards. Or is it a new one? I've lost count. And we didn't repair everything back yet!
2015_10_08_223358.jpg

But this time you aren't getting away, pal. I bring the southern tank to block the retreat path, just to be sure.
2015_10_08_223434.jpg

Wait, why does one of my apes have yellow HP?

Oh. The hovertank is back.
2015_10_08_223528.jpg

:rage::rage::rage:

Leaving the southern part of my base undefended just because I was attacked from the north was a mistake on my part. On the other hand, what was I supposed to do, let the enemy vehicle escape for the second time? At least I have only lost one ape - I could have easily lost all four if the hovertank didn't decide to help out the gatling one. Not the brightest move on its part, as it now faces four very angry Russian drivers. And for once, it is out of the water.
2015_10_08_223620.jpg

The engineers give no fucks about the battle raging 5 meters away from them. They have a job to do! :cool:

The enemy vehicle almost manages to get to safety thanks to its ridiculous speed - none of my fancy tricks could stop it. Still, we caught it with a lucky shot before it slided into the safety of the river where we would not be able to follow it.
2015_10_08_223644.jpg

How do they get level 8 soldiers in the 5th mission!? Fucking cheaters! :argh:

But no sooner than we blow the guy up and sigh in relief...
2015_10_08_223721.jpg

...we get ANOTHER tank.

:rage::rage::rage:

This ride does not end, does it? All of my vehicles safe for one are severely damaged by fighting that can't stop for the fucking five seconds!! :argh::argh::argh:
2015_10_08_223816.jpg

Boy, are you in the wrong neighbourhood, pal.

Heh. The 'wall of steel' maneuver never disappoints. The jaws clench before the enemy tank squeezes through, effectively trapping it and letting the tanks behind catch up to the prey.
2015_10_08_223839.jpg

Ok, that's it. I am heading east to see where they are coming from and how many troops they still have left. Surely they can't keep it up forever!
2015_10_08_223947.jpg

Well, I guess the saying "don't ask questions you don't want to know the answer to" has some merit. :M
2015_10_08_224015.jpg

5_Lipshchin.jpg
- Shit, the Arabs managed to dig themselves in.
5_Karamazov.jpg
- We can’t get through here with the weapons we have.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Comrade Platonov, the Arabians cut off our line of retreat. We have to defend ourselves.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Hurry, Burlak. We need you here.
Omar.jpg
- Your position is hopeless. Surrender and we may spare your lives. Resist and you will die like dogs.

Pah! It's none other than Sheikh Omar! The guy who tried to destroy the Motherlode in the final mission of the American campaign, Heike's lover, and one of the head honchos of the Arabian forces. He has forces to match his station, too. He got the freaking mortarmen in watch towers. With the absurd levels their soldiers have, those tear down tanks and infantry alike in seconds, not to mention the steady stream of vehicles into our base we've witnessed and the constant patrols guarding the exit area. We are truly and irrevocably fucked. :negative:

Thus, the choice.
2015_10_08_224050.jpg

Whatever shall we do, Codex?
As for the choice you've made in the last update, well...
Gorky.jpg
- Stop fighting. I am major Gorky, known as Burlak. I am here with your former commander, colonel Macmillan. You have no chance to defend this base so I offer you a deal. Give me the plans for the Siberite bomb and the research data, and I'll let you leave here in one piece.
5_Stevens.jpg
- Major Gorky, you saved my life once, a long time ago. (Walks toward Burlak) Here, I'll give you the plans. I reckon that equals the score.
Gorky.jpg
- Thanks, you saved yourself a lot of trouble.

:troll::troll::troll:

Last edited:

MZeta

Scholar
Is it possible to continue the game if you surrender?

But anyways, try to stall. Recite some good old russian poems.

Nevill

Arcane
I thought the Russian campaign was supposed to be the epitome of MAXIMUM FUCK? What's with all this stalling like some cowardly Americans? :rpgcodex:

Mission 5. The people's Red Army is the strongest there is!
2015_10_10_213304.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- What you say is true, but we follow orders. I will speak with my commander.

PussyDex! Oh, well, we will withdraw for now. We get back to base and start repairing. At last, we are left undisturbed. We use this opportunity to bring our weapons up to snuff.
2015_10_10_213510.jpg

I don't bother with researching the second upgrade or a gatling gun technology - we don't have time for that. I have my engineers upgrade the Workshop to a Factory and construct two extensions for it - gun and tracked ones.
2015_10_10_214216.jpg

The crates continue to arrive to the south of the river, but the Arabs beat us to the most of it, since they have a cargo vehicle that is faster and can lift 10 times more crates than an ape can.
2015_10_10_214336.jpg

Trying to get cute and one-up them by venturing too far from the river is not the best of ideas. Their patrols are as swift as they are deadly. RIP, Ouha. :salute:
2015_10_10_214703.jpg

In the meantime, we build our first gun tank. Since it's for our Lieutenant Gorky, I've made it a big one. It will have a bit of a difficulty maneuvering, but that's an acceptable tradeoff for better protection. We have enough crates collected to build two more medium-sized ones - but not enough oil, unfortunately. That's where the captured Arabian vehicles can help us out - you get the oil back if you dismantle them.
2015_10_10_214841.jpg

There isn't enough to refuel every vehicle, but it'll have to do. The time for breakthough is now or never! All but two of my people are mechanics, and the rest are medics - for safety's sake.
2015_10_10_215409.jpg

Huh. The sheikh decided to greet us personally. Maybe he was expecting our surrender? Big mistake!
2015_10_10_215530.jpg

However, he is not alone. There are vehicles behind him, ready to back him up, and two mortarmen are repeatedly shelling us from their bunker towers, forcing us to constantly be on the move to avoid direct hits. Still, we gave them quite a beating in the beginning of the mission, from which they are yet to fully recover. We stand a good chance.
2015_10_10_215728.jpg

It takes a while for our crew to notice that there is something out of the ordinary...
2015_10_10_215847.jpg

5_Lipshchin.jpg
- Comrade commander, look at this! Arab sheikhs using mastodons for camels! It is incredible.
5_Gleb.jpg
- Complete bourgeois decadence!
Very astute observations, comrades! :salute: Gotta love this game's scripts and their random timings.

Mastodon's stats (speed/armor/vs. infantry/vs. vehicles/vs. buildings) are comparable to the ones of my heavy tank - 12/101/37/75/63 on the beast vs. 9/116/35/71/53 on Gorky's vehicle.

Unable to withstand concentrated fire, the mastodon tries to retreat, but falls, it's carcass blocking the passage into the base. Omar runs back inside.
2015_10_10_220015.jpg

Note the engineer that comes to repair the bunker with a mortarman inside. This could take a while.

But we don't have time for that. Determined to prevent Omar's escape at all costs I ram my vehicles into the bunkers where the mortarmen have a 'dead zone' they can't fire upon. That should get me inside the base without suffering massive damage.
2015_10_10_220203.jpg

Note that the drivers inside Arabian vehicles are actually all high-level soldiers. They are poor mechanics, and their tanks get blown up pretty quickly, but they can still do a lot of harm once forced out. That's why I have a team of 4 machine gun vehicles in the back to quickly mop up the drivers. Gun tanks are not very effective against them, and they cause collateral damage.

My gambit works, and Gorky enters the base with impunity. The sheikh, understanding the futility of running away, charges at the tank with a trusty scimitar. :lol:
2015_10_10_220244.jpg

Spoiler alert - it is not terribly successful. :M

And thus, there is now one less sheikh in the world.
2015_10_10_220340.jpg

5_Karamazov.jpg
- We've got the bastard! Mastodon looks good but moves like a snail.
5_Petrovova.jpg
- It was too easy!
Heike_Radio_Alter.jpg
- You'll pay for this, you communist bastards! I will take revenge for Omar!
Gorky.jpg
- Your threats make me laugh, mercenary. We will always beat you because we fight for more than money. We fight for our country!

One of the bunkers finally gives way, burying the engineer under the rubble - and the mortarman is shot almost immediately afterwards. The second mortarman is still firing on everything that isn't parked right under his tower. One of the drivers on my heavy-hitters is seriously injured - the shells hurt even through the armor - so I have to withdraw him from the battle and have my medics take a look at him.
2015_10_10_220444.jpg

The Arabs throw their last vehicles at us. That should be it. Once the bunker hiding the last mortarman is destroyed, the base will be free for the taking...
2015_10_10_220606.jpg

...or not.
2015_10_10_220645.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Comrade Platonov, we have destroyed the Arabian positions and now head west.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) It is too late, comrade Gorky. Ovsyenko base has fallen already. But if you move quickly, you may take the Americans before they dig themselves in. Before you go make sure you destroyed the lab, the enemy must not obtain our technologies.

We didn't have to destroy the bunker for the base to count as destroyed, it seems. As an unfortunate side effefct, this made the Arabs gather everyone who was still alive and throw them all at us in a last suicidal push.
2015_10_10_220706.jpg

And we were on our last hitpoints for the last few minutes already. Especially Gorky, who ended up tanking the most damage as the heaviest vehicle around. And I can't get him out because the mortarman will get him before he makes it to safety. So I am doing a desperate push of my own, making Gorky hug the tower and moving all of my - mostly well-preserved - machine gun vehicles forward, right under the shells. Hopefully they will distract the enemy long enough for us to level the damn bunker.
2015_10_10_220914.jpg

On the left side of the screen you can see the doctor tending to my wounded driver.

The bunker is down! So is their last vehicle - I hope it is really the last one this time. Unfortunately, that makes the driver come out - who is a level 8 soldier and thus arguably more dangerous than his vehicle ever was. To make matters worse, the mortarman decides to take cover behind Gorky's tank and now they are both taking damage from my frantic attempts to bury him.
2015_10_10_221122.jpg

This proves too much even for a heavy tank. It catches fire, and Gorky has to evacuate... right under the barrel of a mercenary gun. Ugh!
2015_10_10_221223.jpg

Thankfully, three tanks with double machine guns saved the day, and I run Gorky back to the burning tank to try and save it. The others shoot Arabian mechanics that are doing the same. It finally looks like we've won.
2015_10_10_221316.jpg

We need to take a break, heal up, and repair. Oh, and dismantle the lab before we forget.
2015_10_10_221510.jpg

I assign comrade comissar to the duty - it is only fitting that he is the one to ensure the secrets of Soviet science stay with us.
2015_10_10_221628.jpg

At last, we can move on. We are tired, angry, and nearly out of fuel.
2015_10_10_222045.jpg

However, the game can't just let us go without kicking us in the testicles one last time. The Arabian patrol is still around. RIP, Hugo. :salute:
2015_10_10_222118.jpg

5_Karamazov.jpg
- These shit-faced pillow-biters! They won't let us go!
5_Petrovova.jpg
- More easy game! Come on, come on!
Gorky.jpg
- It would have been better to let them pass. Now we have no choice. They must die.

You have killed three of our monkeys. It is only fitting that there are three of you as well.
2015_10_10_222200.jpg

A monkey for a monkey! :argh:
2015_10_10_222309.jpg

All of my characters have reached their mission exp limits from the incessant shooting.

I have to push some of the vehicles manually the last couple of meters. Two of them are out of gas.
2015_10_10_222511.jpg

This causes an interesting prompt I haven't seen before - six vehicles are inside, as the mission objective demands, but there are only 5 men in the designated area.
2015_10_10_222535.jpg

Almost there...
2015_10_10_222544.jpg

In theory, I can leave some of my soldiers behind. However, that makes the next mission that much harder.

Aaaand... DONE! Mission Accomplished.
2015_10_10_222625.jpg

+ Little time wasted .
+ Apeman tamed.
+ Sheikh Omar killed.

And we got the ever-elusive medal for taking fast action! Neat!

Intermission screen.
2015_10_10_222755.jpg
Our next mission... well.
Russian campaign, mission 6 is one of my all-time favorites. The Rance series as a whole has less rape in them than what the game had in store for our party of seven brave, but very foolish men. And then if forces you to split your already lacking team...

Manly tears were shed trying to get the no-reloads medal.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
:incline: The time for the butthurt has finally come. I'm eager to see how the game attempts to crush your soul, your hopes, your dreams and your patience.

Nevill

Arcane
:incline: The time for the butthurt has finally come. I'm eager to see how the game attempts to crush your soul, your hopes, your dreams and your patience.
I have completed the game four times by now. One of those times was with all medals - yes, even 'no reloads' ones.

I have no soul, hopes and dreams left. Only patience. :salute:

I'll just say that before they patched the exp limits for apes, my monkeys got 7 levels of soldier in that one mission. Burlak was still capped at his 4th or 5th. Oh, and the end stats showed that I've destroyed 50+ vehicles during its course.

I guess I wasn't supposed to finish the mission the way I did. Again. :negative:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 6. Step by Step.
2015_10_10_222830.jpg

South from former V. A. Ovsyenko base; June 7, NR 2
Having finally made their way across the river, Burlak and his men reached the position of the V. A. Ovsyenko base. He was too late. Now they have to fight for what was theirs.

We arrive on the same vehicles we fled from the Arabs with. Hail continuity!
2015_10_11_143456.jpg

5_Lipshchin.jpg
- This must be the place, comrade commander.
5_Karamazov.jpg
- So where the hell’s the oil depot?
Gorky.jpg
- Shit. Too late. (into radio) Comrade Platonov, the auxiliary base is destroyed. We are out of fuel.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- This is your incompetence comrade Gorky! Now you have no choice. Leave the vehicles and proceed on foot. V. A. Ovsyenko must be recovered at any cost!
Gorky.jpg
- Yes, comrade colonel.
5_Petrovova.jpg
- This is no problem. I could take the base with one hand!

Primary objectives received:
- Recapture base V. A. Ovsyenko from the American forces.
- Mine at least 100 crystals of Alaskite.

That should be fairly trivial. With our heavy weaponry we could... oh. All of the fuel tanks are completely empty. The vehicles move a couple of meters, then stop dead. Well, then.

We recapture the southern base. Thankfully, we did not change the profession of comrade commissar from the last mission where we sent him away to dismantle the lab. I can only wonder what the hell you are supposed to do in this mission if you do.
2015_10_11_143627.jpg

I repair the armory and the depot. At least now I can have a group of soldiers to retake our base with. A few crates arrive to our doorstep.
2015_10_11_143751.jpg

We use them to build a lab. They are too few to do anything else with them anyway.
2015_10_11_143934.jpg

And go on a safari to enlist some apemen while the rest of the team does basic research that does not require a power plant.
2015_10_11_144255.jpg

5_Dolgov.jpg
- Comrade commander, do you recall how shipments near the river all arrived in one area?
Gorky.jpg
- I’ve thought about this, it was hardly random.
5_Dolgov.jpg
- I think it may be true. Given data from previous observations and the tools we can find out what it is.
Gorky.jpg
- What do you need?
5_Dolgov.jpg
- Tools for computer research.

Secondary objective received:
- Research materialisation prediction.

Sadly, we have neither the crates to upgrade the lab, nor the power to run it. Helping us catch monkeys is about all the glorious Soviet science can do for us now. :(
2015_10_11_144706.jpg

By the way, the difference between an experienced scientist and a rookie is really noticeable. Two of my best professors never had a single problem with the apes, yet a soldiers who was given tools to communicate with one was immediately attacked by it, and it wasn't until we brought another ape along that it listened to us and joined our team.

Alright, we are all set. 6 soldiers of various skill, two 6 level medics, three apes who learned how to hold a gun yesterday. A mighty force indeed! Let's see what is the big deal with Ovsyenko.
2015_10_11_145055.jpg

They have high ground, which is not good for our health. It makes it hard for us to withdraw once we engage, since wounded soldiers can't easily throw the enemy off their tail, and are almost certain to go down without external help. They also have a medic, that instead of running away and hiding behind the bunker decides to join the battle. Bad life choice, that.

Their medic is down, but they seem to be in possession of an extremely nasty gatling turret. Retreat, retreat!!
2015_10_11_145212.jpg

That was closer than it needed to be. It is also worth noting that their defenses aren't completely stationary - if their soldiers feel like they can stuff you full of bullets, they will leave their fortifications and come out for a walk. They won't leave the base, though.
2015_10_11_145607.jpg

Alright, maybe we can exploit that. Let's heal up, get them to come closer and CHAAARGE!
2015_10_11_150953.jpg

Nope. Whenever they feel threatened, they will run back to their bunkers and turrets. Good luck trying to break them out of those - they have engineers to repair them as well.

Reload.

Ok, the frontal assault is not an option. Let's try to sneak over the edge of the map.
2015_10_11_151212.jpg

Note that the soldier has abandoned the bunker to shoot at us just for a while longer. That's what I was talking about.

Well, well, what's over there? Another bunker! Figures that the blasted Kwans would spam the map with those.
2015_10_11_151305.jpg

However, one bunker is not too dangerous for us. This isn't the first mission - we are hitting low-mid levels, and we have two highly competent medics. They manage to wound about two soldiers before the bunker goes down.
2015_10_11_151426.jpg

Ok, I guess it is about time we stopped procrastinating and started doing our job. We are taking it by storm, guys!
2015_10_11_151632.jpg

Ugh! They have an armory there! Thankfully, it's empty... but will it stay this way? A brave soldier makes a bold dash through our lines...
2015_10_11_151646.jpg

...and succeeds on his last hitpoints. Now we are fucked. :negative:
2015_10_11_151729.jpg

Another enemy soldier tries to repeat the feat, but is gunned down with extreme prejudice. One soldier in a heavily fortified building is trouble enough, with two we would be obliterated for sure.

Running away is not an option - we have critically wounded people who would most certainly be finished off if we stop fighting. We can only slug it out and hope to whittle the structure down before we are all dead. By the time it goes into yellow HP there are only three soldiers left standing, and what's worse, one of our medic is bleeding out on the ground.
2015_10_11_151839.jpg

Finally, it gives way. However, it's not over yet. To heal my people, I will need to get into range of the last surviving bunker, so it needs to go down, too. And I only have two soldiers left.
2015_10_11_151909.jpg

I finally resort to throwing my untrained monkeys at the fortification, hoping to give the medics crucial seconds to get at least some of my people back on their feet.
2015_10_11_152115.jpg

It works... just barely. Two monkeys are near death, and everyone else except Gorky sports grievous wounds. The medics have hit the exp limit. What a slaughterhouse!
2015_10_11_152238.jpg

I send two of my soldiers back to the first base to change into engineers and try to save the enemy armory before it burns down, but they do not make it in time and it blows up 5 seconds before they could stabilize the fires. Brilliant. At least the base is ours now. I hope the colonel is happy.
2015_10_11_163055.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Comrade colonel Platonov, we have taken V. A. Ovsyenko base.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- Good work, comrade. You begin to pay for your mistakes. Now restore the Alaskite mining equipment.
5_Karamazov.jpg
- It’s just a stinking pit.
6_Titov.jpg
- I don’t see why we risked our necks for this dump.
5_Lipshchin.jpg
- It is an Alaskite mine! Back in the future we would be billionaires!
5_Gleb.jpg
- The capitalists are getting to you, comrade Lipshchin. All Alaskite belongs to the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. Remember that!

I think this counts as 'yes'. :M
As you might imagine, taking the base without casualties accounts for 50% of mission restarts. If their soldiers occupy the armory, you might as well give up. And that's just the beginning.

As a bonus, here is some non-retarded way to capture that base semi-consistently that I have come up with about ten years ago, after getting tired of pulling my hair out.
It is ingenious in its simplicity. First, you do a small monkey dance to the south, to get the attention of their soldiers and get them to leave their fortifications as they go on a hunt for seemingly weak and isolated targets.
2015_10_11_164350.jpg

The apemen should stay close to the trees - they will need to dive for cover pretty fast if you want them alive.

Meanwhile your whole team sneaks inside their base while their soldiers are playing:popamole: with the apes. The soldiers will be caught out of position.
2015_10_11_163444.jpg

After running half the way they will realize they won't make it to the armory and turn back to the safety of the gatling turret. What they don't realize is that they won't make it to the turret either.
2015_10_11_163507.jpg

You are now in their base and they don't have the ridiculous advantage over you. Occupying the armory is about their only chance of survival...
2015_10_11_163533.jpg

...but not with 6 of your soldiers on overwatch, there is just no way.

The remaining soldier in the bunker does not put much of a fight, either - and can be easily lured away from the bunker if tricked into thinking that he can get to the armory in time. However, the bunker is very close and if you are not extremely careful - he can actually do this. Then you are back to square 1.
2015_10_11_163608.jpg

Result: some minor injuries on the apes, and the base is captured completely intact.
2015_10_11_184449.jpg

Just shows that a right strategy is worth much more than brute force sometimes.
Fine, we have captured the base. Now comes the part where we try to hold on to it...

:badnews:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 6. You climb the mountain.
Eh, how hard can it be? If they didn't have more than 3 soldiers defending it, they must not have needed it that much anyway! :stupid:

The very first thing I do once I capture the Ovsyenko depot is not even repairs - I have my monkeys grab oil barrels, take three of my soldiers, and run them all the way back to the southern base.
2015_10_11_152751.jpg

What for? Because I need to refuel my tanks ASAP. Why do I need to do that, you ask?

Because someone is very, very butthurt about the loss of the base.
2015_10_11_153052.jpg

My tanks haven't finished climbing the slope yet, and already there is a enemy on the horizon. Remote vehicles, controlled by a skillful mechanic from the safety of a radio tower. The cowards do not dare to fight us face to face like real men!! :argh::argh::argh:

We do not have dedicated drivers, because we do not have a workshop yet. I order the construction of one immediately and set my engineers to the task, but until they are finished our driving skills will be cut in half and we will have no way of repairing our vehicles.

And we will need a lot of repairs, it seems. :M
2015_10_11_153110.jpg

Thankfully, now I am the one who has high ground on them, leveling the field a bit. However, I make a mistake of bringing the third tank alonbg when there was only enough space for two. As a result, Gorky has slided down the slope, and they are tearing him apart! :eek:
2015_10_11_153252.jpg

I need that workshop up and running, like, yesterday! Everyone should help, even the monkeys!

My heavy tank is put out of comission, but the assault has been repelled, if only temporarily. You didn't see it before, but there were five tanks in total - one of them just passed through, hoping to attack us from the south. You can see it returning back to base once they have called off the attack. Easy picking.
2015_10_11_153350.jpg

The workshop is finished, and I asssign all free hands to vehicle repair. It won't be long until they return.

Indeed they do, and more furious than before. Gorky is still in his soldier outfit - I haven't got the time to visit the workshop yet. One of my gun tanks comes under heavy fire, but with a team of four mechanics right next to it I repair the damage almost as fast as the enemy dishes it out. Almost.
2015_10_11_153417.jpg

In hindsight, I would probably have had better results if a soldier inside the gun tank switched places with one of the mechanics. But a thought of jumping out in the open while surrounded by four enemy tanks didn't seem appealing at the time. :M

Another attempt of recapturing the base is thwarted! The medium-sized gun tank who had four guys repair it barely holds out, simply by virtue of Gorky's vehicle blocking the passage inside the base, and the enemy AI not being smart enough to fire at non-hostile targets. They just couldn't follow it after it disengaged.

Once the enemy is disposed of or scared away, we do a hack-job of quickly patching up the big tank, and drive it back to the hill to finish the repairs in a safer place.
2015_10_11_153524.jpg

Gorky is on a lookout for further American advances.

They don't keep me waiting. They'll be sending these raiding parties about every minute and a half. Their drivers are safe, thanks to the remote control towers, so it is just a matter of crates. And they seem to have a lot of those.
2015_10_11_153918.jpg

I decide to take a look where they are coming from...
2015_10_11_154039.jpg

...and discover a large American installation right on top of me, with bunkers, turrets, armories and everything. How come I didn't have anything like that back when I played this map during the American campaign?! :rpgcodex:

They also have a bulldozer which is - a nice surprise - driven manually! Would have been nice to capture it, but I am not sending a mechanic over there, not with the armory overseeing the road! I still have PTSD from the one I fought against in Ovsyenko.

To remind you what I am dealing with - their drivers are 7th level, while mine are 5th or 6th. The effect is doubled for specialists, so they have 14 ranks in driving while most of my mechanics only have 10 or less. In an open field their double-barrelled guns can hammer me into the ground pretty quickly - as they did the medium-sized tank on the screenshot below.
2015_10_11_154135.jpg

The height giving me a better firing range and the terrain where they can't get a good surround is my main advantage over them... that, and their obsession with static defenses. The bunker can stall them pretty effectively.

Once it seems like I have stabilized the situation, I send the apes to the south once more. I want to dismantle the machine gun vehicles - they are not likely to be of any use in the battle of the titans here.
2015_10_11_154423.jpg

There they are! I had 180 crates before...
2015_10_11_154622.jpg

...anbd now I have 292. It is not much, but every little bit helps. And I didn't see any more crates appearing ever since the first batch did at the beginning of the mission. Something is not right here...
2015_10_11_154831.jpg

See the big tank with a single barrel? It is a heavy gun tank, and its weapon is so massive that the tank turret can't freely turn, so it can only fire when facing its target directly. You don't want to let it do that.

I finally find enough time to build another lab in the base, and upgrade the workshop. I might have to build a bulldozer myself, since I failed to capture one. :negative:

Oh, and I also capture the oil power plant which stood as a sole American building in the middle of my base. Just shows how busy I was trying to stay afloat.
2015_10_11_155228.jpg

The gatling turret and the second bunker are dismantled. They were not seeing much use anyway.

Emboldened by a prolonged silence from the enemy camp I decide to do a little redesign of my base and disassemble the bunker to place an armory in its place. I should have known better. As if they waited for that moment, the Americans rushed forward in force - just when I have no soldiers to support my vehicles.
2015_10_11_155527.jpg

Their attack is stronger than before, too - they've added a few manually controlled vehicles to the mix this time. They didn't crew them very well - their drivers are middling at best - but this still works, in a sense that their force just doubled in size, compared to the usual suicidal runs they did over the last 10 minutes. They caught me by surprise there - I nearly lost both of my tanks. I had to turn my remaining men into soldiers and take the situation back under control by an old and tried popamole method of shooting them from behind the cover of the trees.
2015_10_11_155711.jpg

They have lost two men in the engagement. Good. Those are an irreplaceable resourse. And I have reached my damaged tank just in the nick of time to save it - a second more and it would go up in flames.
2015_10_11_155853.jpg

It is finally time for some peace and quiet. And recearch! I promised Dolgov that I will look into the materialization prediction technology, didn't I?
2015_10_11_160235.jpg

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Comrade commander, Soviet scientists made an important discovery. We can now predict the arrival of shipments.
Gorky.jpg
- Congratulations, comrade. This is great news. What can you tell us?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- That is not so good. There will be no arrivals in the next five minutes, and long-term outlook is pretty bleak. We see no landings of supplies in the foreseeable future.
Gorky.jpg
- Thank you comrade. It is better to be informed than to live in false hope.

That explains the lack of crates. Looks like we are completely on our own here. One does wonder where the Kwans get their supplies. We sure can not afford to be that reckless with our resourses.

Suddenly the tranquility is ruined by sounds of gunfire and panicked screams. At first I thought that the enemies crept on me from behind, but the sounds are distant, as if the battle is happening on the other side of the map. This goes on for about thirty seconds before one of the scientists addresses Gorky.
2015_10_11_160534.jpg

5_Dolgov.jpg
- Comrade Gorky! We have some strange broadcast on American frequency! Listen!
6_Sevi.jpg
- (over radio) This is Swallow 7, Swallow 7 calling Eagle via captured radio. Eagle, can you hear me?
Gorky.jpg
- (stunned) That voice… I…
5_Gleb.jpg
- We hear you, Swallow 7. What is your position?
6_Sevi.jpg
- Position unknown. Contact with US force has been successful. We now hold an American installation.
Gorky.jpg
- Vsevolod! Is it you?
6_Sevi.jpg
- (startled) Burlak!?
Gorky.jpg
- How did you get here? What’s going on?
6_Sevi.jpg
- There are three of us, but even between us we had no radio. Now I found this piece of American crap. What about you?
Gorky.jpg
- I am now commander, of—
5_Gleb.jpg
- Comrades! What’s going on here?
Gorky.jpg
- I am sorry, comrade commissar... (to the team, introducing Vsevolod over the radio) This is my elder brother.
5_Dolgov.jpg
- We managed to triangulate him, comrade commander. We can show you his position.

Huh. It is on the other side of the map. Remember the small depot Macmillan was put in charge of when they tasked him with collecting Siberite? Yeah, that's the location.
2015_10_11_160627.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Thank you, comrade. Now listen, Vsevolod. I am commander of V. A. Ovsyenko, just south of your present position. Can you get here?
6_Sevi.jpg
- We already tried that way. Too many enemies. We took them by surprise here, but I know they will be back soon. Then they will slaughter us.

Secondary objective received:
- Try to save your brother Vsevolod (but don't neglect your other duties).

We leave the lab to briefly hold a council of what to do. However, we notice one thing that wasn't there before. Of course! We have researched the Alaskite detection technology and I forgot all about it in the heat of a moment!
2015_10_11_160703.jpg

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- So much Alaskite! Soviet scientists could advance knowledge incredibly. Back in future, we had to beg for smallest crystals.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Comrade Platonov, this is lieutenant Gorky, we have restored the mine and are storing the Alaskite in our depot. Is it possible our scientists could research special properties of Alaskite?
Platonov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) This is perfect, comrade Gorky. Begin at once and report your findings.

Primary objective received:
- Research possible Alaskite applications. You will require an Alaskite and Space-time lab.

Right, right. I am not exactly sure about the timings, though, as we seem to have another matter on our hands.
2015_10_11_160743.jpg

5_Gleb.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, I must remind you that your task is to develop Alaskite technologies.
5_Dolgov.jpg
- I've heard how you rescued Belkov, comrade Gorky. But you are needed here. Scientists cannot work unprotected.
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- :negative:
6_Titov.jpg
- Holy Ivan, it is his brother!
5_Gleb.jpg
- Soviet soldier must be committed to the needs of all, not to himself.
Gorky.jpg
- If we rescue Vsevolod, we will be able to defend ourselves more effectively.
5_Lipshchin.jpg
- But we can't separate. There are too few of us. And if we leave, Yanks will capture this base.
Gorky.jpg
- I am the commander. The decision is mine alone.

Meanwhile, the symphony of light gunfire has changed to the one of heavy shells crashing against metal. Looks like the Americans have brought some tanks to Sevi's base. It might be a bit too much to expect a team of three to withstand such pressure for long...

So, Codex. It appears it is time for us to decide. What do we do? Hurry to rescue our brother? Abandon him for our duty? Or try to have our cake and eat it, too?
2015_10_11_224143.jpg

Make the choice, and if you choose to split forces, pick the rescue team. I will try to make it work to the best of my abilities. :salute:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Never leave a fellow bro behind! Doubly so for blood-related ones! I say you send Gorky himself with a few monkeys for the rescue. That should make it quite hard interesting for you. :troll:

Nevill

Arcane
I say you send Gorky himself with a few monkeys for the rescue.
There is static defense blocking the way up. Remember the bunker we stumbled upon in the beginning? There are more of them.

The only way it could work is if Gorky becomes a medic and the apes go :popamole:.

Edit: Hmm, works just fine if you use the apes to attract fire while the men squeeze through. The monkeys are all going to die, though. :M

Edit2: definitely doable AND lulzy. Of course, you have to do the opposite of what the developers intended, so there is that.

Last edited:

MZeta

Scholar
Save your Bro! (but I am pretty sure he will die horribly later as do all family members of main heroes do).

Bonus points for breaking the game.

Black

Arcane
Another thread that got updated but the shitty Dex didn't inform me even though I have it on watched.

Nevill

Arcane
All right. We are doing this!

Mission 6. Do or Die.
You wanted it, you will get it. Three monkeyteers and d'Artagnan, coming up! :salute:
2015_10_12_211257.jpg

There is static defense along the way, and in a fight between a fortified lvl6 GI and a pack of lvl2 apes my money would be on a professional. Even though Soviet monkeys are superior to the American ones because they can hold a gun, they are still basically unarmored and go down very quickly. They are support units, and just that.

I guess this means we won't be walking up the main road. Thankfully, there is a nice safe ridge just outside the reach of the bunker.
2015_10_12_210342.jpg

Um, *ape*-men. Do you mean to infer that there is no difference and that I command a bunch of monkeys either way? Though now that I think of it, anyone with the intelligence above that would have turned the mission down... :negative:

The developers probably intended for the player to destroy the bunkers and walk inside the base as a hero - yet with the numbers I have, this approach does not sound all that appealing. Still, there is a spot on the map where our men can see each other - and once we make visual contact, I am given command of Vsevolod and his two comrades. Since I can make far better use of them than AI ever could, their immediate survival is no longer such a pressing concern.

It is not necessary to bring Gorky to the base personally. However, having Gorky triggers an interesting dialogue:
6_Sevi.jpg
- Burlak, my brother! Looks like you’re doing well here.
Gorky.jpg
- I wish it was true, Sevi. A few months ago we were winning. Since then it has all gone wrong and we have lost all bases in the East sector. Finding you is the first good news for a long time!
6_Sevi.jpg
- (seriously) So you've risked your base to save us?
Gorky.jpg
- There was no other choice. We must hurry, the research is being delayed.
6_Sevi.jpg
- Bring the others to our base. The depot is well stocked.
Gorky.jpg
- Might be a good idea.
6_Sevi.jpg
- Tell me more about life here. Who is commander?
Gorky.jpg
- Our commander is colonel Platonov. General Morozov is above him.
6_Sevi.jpg
- I remember Morozov from North China. We shall see if he remembers me.
Gorky.jpg
- It's strange, Sevi. You know, last time we caught an American professor. He spoke as if he wasn't coming from our own world. I interrogated him. He referred to Alaskite as Siberite. He claimed never to hear about Kauders-Kurisawa field generator. Or about the North-China crisis.
6_Sevi.jpg
- Might be lying.
Gorky.jpg
- Half of Europe, even half of Germany was in our power at one time. I wonder how many more futures there are?
6_Sevi.jpg
- It is all interesting Burlak. But it doesn’t help us.
Gorky.jpg
- You’re right. We have work to do.

And do we have a lot of work! It looks like the tank we've heard all the way down at Ovsyenko has destroyed a bunker and wounded one of Sevi's subordinates. With the wounds he has, there is no way we can simply run out of the base - Vsevolod could do it, being a combat juggernaut, but the men will inevitably die. And no member of the Russian army will abandon their comrades if they can avoid it!

The bunker has to go. It doesn't provide much protection, and we don't have the time to repair it. Better to just dismantle it for crates before it burns down completely.
2015_10_12_211112.jpg

Now here's an interesting twist! Looks like our quick intervention yielded some unexpected results!
2015_10_12_211333.jpg

6_Amer.jpg
- (in English) Hi, Catherine! Have you got the burgers there?
Gorky.jpg
- Some burgers, Yank! That truck and everything in it will be ours. Go! Go! Go!

Yeah, looks like now we know where the Americans get their crates. It's a supply convoy! Now, if usually it could have gotten through while being shot at from the armory by Sevi and Co., now they have the same 3 men blocking their path - and they do it more effectively by being engineers and standing in the way of vehicles than by being soldiers and firing at them. :salute::lol:

By the way, the AI is really polite and courteous. If a vehicle - even an enemy one - is determined to get somewhere, your troops will part and let them through if you don't directly order them otherwise. I don't know why it is this way - perhaps it is just a quirk of the pathfinding, similar to how enemies in Baldur's Gate could squeeze through your fighters into your rear when you thought it was physically impossible - however, there is, thankfully, the right tool for this kind of siutuation, and it is called 'Hold Position'. If your men are given this order, they won't budge even if you drop an Alaskite rocket on top of them.

That's why we are positioning Sevi right between the depot and an oil station to take as much space as he can, and have him order the drivers to stop and put their hands in the air. We can't let him stand there forever, though, so I have his men construct an armory to block the passage permanently while their commander is LARPing GTA. Looks like 'carjack a supply truck' is quickly becoming a national sport! :lol:
2015_10_12_211519.jpg

Now, the drivers inside the vehicles are soldiers, and quite experienced at that, so were they to leave their vehicles they would have made short work of three wounded engineers. Instead, though, they fall into a stupor and shit bricks. Literally. They dump all their crates on the ground behind them, cutting off their retreat. :lol:

Once the armory is constructed, they aren't going anywhere - there simply is not enough space for a truck to get through. They are truly cornered. Yet my goal is not their destruction - I have something else in mind, and we will need a factory for that. Hmm, looks like this base is becoming less of a trap we need to escape from, and more like a proper outpost.
2015_10_12_211721.jpg

Of course, we are then soon reminded that we can't play around for as long as we want. There are several tanks assaulting our position. They are damaged, though - from the scrapes with our main base, no doubt, and none of them have heavy guns installed, meaning they are eventually driven off back to their base for repairs.
2015_10_12_211920.jpg

Meanwhile, at Ovsyenko. The base is holding fine - naturally, since we are only truly lacking a single person, our commander.
2015_10_12_212359.jpg

Once the workshop at the northern base finishes, we give Sevi's men soldier kits and shoot the supply convoy. They are rookies, but with the armory to fall back upon, they are never in a serious danger. The enemy drivers are dispatched.
2015_10_12_212511.jpg

Time to dress in the mechanic garb and repair the trucks!
2015_10_12_212832.jpg

Now, the plan itself is ingenious in its simplicity and deviousness. If we can't leave the base on foot because of heavy enemy fire... why not armor ourselves up now that we've successfully hijacked the convoy? The non-combat vehicles aren't exactly bullet-proof, but they are fast, and it beats walking under the gunfire, that's for certain. Better yet, that way we can take their cargo with us, too. We can't just leave 200 crates worth of materials for the Americans to capture back, can we?

Once again we are reminded of the necessity of quick action, as yet another tank passes through below the base. You do not want it to block the way for your trucks - there is not nearly enough room for two tanks in that narrow passage, so yours will get stuck, unable to turn around, and you will be left exposed to the enemy fire. Ask me how I know. :argh:

Gorky and his animal friends have to run to the top-rightmost corner to avoid detection by the tank.

Aaaand... we make our first drive!
2015_10_12_213453.jpg

There are two ways leading our of the base - one to the west, wide enough for a vehicle to get through, and one to the south, a narrow and steep slope that only infantry can use. Both are in the range of nearby bunkers, so my wounded soldier can't just leave - he will be immediately shot, and his wound is bad enough for a single burst to take him down. The vehicles are safer - but we have constructed our armory specifically to block that route, so we will have to dismantle it if we want to leave that way. Needless to say, that leaves the base vulnerable to enemy counter-attacks.

Vsevolod has excellent stats both as a soldier and as a driver. He makes it through quickly and professionally, with barely a scratch on a vehicle. His subordinates, though, are far too green, and take way more damage. Thankfully, there is a blind spot behind the trees where the southern bunker doesn't reach - we can use it to take a break and repair the vehicle before moving further.
2015_10_12_213610.jpg

Looks like we've been taking too long - one of the vehicles we fought off came back with a vengeance. My own truck is blocking the way up to safety - and the monkeys can't really fight gatling guns.
2015_10_12_213655.jpg

6_Sevi.jpg
- Burlak! I can not hold any longer. For Russia, avenge me!
RIP. No vengeance for you, bro, as we die soon after. :salute:

Reload.

Ok, so we need to act fast. Faster. No more of that 'get the men out one-by-one' crap - we'll be making a run for it as a group. Well, a group of two, since we have only stolen two vehicles. One soldier still has to remain at the base. On the plus side, we'll be taking less damage as it is now spread out between two trucks.
2015_10_12_213930.jpg

We barely make it to the other side before they send in the pursuit. There is about 3*3 pixels area where my drivers can hide by hugging the trees without being noticed and eradicated with extreme prejudice. MY ANUS IS TIGHTER THAN EVER!
2015_10_12_214121.jpg

Looks like we were lucky this time - they have passed us through and left for our base, where we already have the 'dozers ready. Gatling gun vs. a 100-ton monstrocity. The fight isn't even close.
2015_10_12_214731.jpg

Now, the question is, how do we extract the last wounded soldier from the base? I can drive a truck back, easily, but he can't really use it as his colleagues did - the bullets would get to him even through the truck's armor. So what do we do?

Why, we call him a taxi!
2015_10_12_215206.jpg

The idea is to bring a truck to the southern exit, the one that only infantry can use, and thus eliminate the western bunker from the equation, cutting the potential damage in half. We leave him in the soldier garb - while his driving stats will be crappy, it has a better personal armor rating than a mechanic uniform (so the vehicle will take more damage, but the soldier inside will take less). It is also important to block the line of sight for the second bunker with the vehicle, so that it couldn't finish the injured soldier instantly while he runs for the truck.

Once the soldier is in, both he and the former driver should hide in the blind spot behind the trees. Of course, now you have two heavily wounded people instead of one, but you have also made it almost to the exit. Since the method proved to be working, why don't we call a second taxi for the injured mechanic?
2015_10_12_215251.jpg

The rest is trivial. Vsevolod, having great stats and stamina can run away on foot. The enemy soldier will be focused on him, as he considers him the most lightly armored target. While the soldier is distracted, the vehicles can pass through. They will still be shot at, but their armor can protect against a single burst, and the enemy doesn't get to shoot for a second time, because we quickly get out of range.
2015_10_12_215326.jpg

So it's a bit like an old 'the wolf, the goat and the cabbage' problem, except with more wolves and no cabbages. :M

After getting men healed by Gorky Jr. and vehicles repaired by Gorky Sr., we make a second trip to the base to clean it from resourses. It's not like the bunkers can stop us anymore now that we don't have to watch our health closely. All in all, 400 crates for our trouble. I'd say it was worth it.
2015_10_12_220217.jpg

In the meantime, back at the main base...
2015_10_12_220408.jpg

Man, things got a bit hot in here, huh? I was too preoccupied with Sevi's rescue to pay attention, but apparently there was a vicious battle fought at our doorstep. Good thing we didn't send anyone important away, eh? :troll:

Spoilers for an alternate solution.
Or you could be 'that guy' without an imagination and just crawl out of there. :M
2015_10_19_004205.jpg

2015_10_19_004229.jpg

But I like my way better. Maybe I just like stealing cars. :lol:

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I love how flexible the game is and how it allows to complete missions in ways not even the devs intended. Moreover, the apes survived against all my expectations.

Nevill

Arcane
It's time to finish this.

Mission 6. Lethal 'Doze.
Since we've got the 'dozer, I thought it would be reasonable to try and see what is there behind the dense forest. Lo and behold!
2015_10_12_221431.jpg

The best thing about it is that, since they didn't anticipate tanks coming from this direction, this side is protected only by anti-infantry weapons. Perfect.

We construct two heavy-gun Alaskite-powered tanks and go pay them a visit. Surprise, motherfuckers!

2015_10_12_222726.jpg

Unfortunately, while the turrets do not offer meaningful resistance, their crew does. These are upper-mid level soldiers we are dealing with, and as I mentioned time and time before, gun tanks are just not good at dealing with those. Add to this their mobility and higher ground, and we are soon forced to withdraw.
2015_10_12_223215.jpg

Well, run away, more likely. These guys are pretty devastating - they have managed to set my tanks on fire and nearly killed two of my drivers before they even could dive behind the trees. Monkeys to the rescue! Unwilling to leave the base, their soldiers go back to their positions, leaving me to lick my wounds and come up with a better plan.
2015_10_12_223429.jpg

All right, so after healing and repairing, I have thought the previous fiasco through, and decided that the lack of mobility was the primary obstacle. The tanks can't maneuver when there are trees all around them, and it is important to micro the damaged vehicles out of harm's way and swap them for better preserved ones. Furthermore, the heavy gun tanks can't rotate their turrets, so if the tank can't turn, it is essentially out of the battle.

The 'dozer should see to it.
2015_10_12_223828.jpg

With the meadow cleared of obstacles, there suddenly is a lot more room for us to play the positioning game. The tanks may not be ideal to fight against infantry, but it doesn't much matter if you get all five of them to fire simultaneously - precious little can survive such a salvo.
2015_10_12_231221.jpg

That's a lot of bodies. :M And look, the guy who harassed us and didn't let Sevi leave the northern base has come down to us, too! I've been waiting for you, buddy!
2015_10_12_231318.jpg

With their troops gone, there is no one left to man the cannons. The base is wide open!
2015_10_12_231459.jpg

Well, almost. There is still a soldier in the armory. The 'dozer is on it! :salute:
2015_10_12_231606.jpg

They are not willing to surrender easily, though. Even as we tear their defenses apart, they keep producing vehicles - some of them quite dangerous, like that double-gunned one that is burning in front of their factory. And there are American reinforcements coming from below - from the general direction of my Ovsyenko base! What the hell is happening there? :?
2015_10_12_232836.jpg

HOLY FUCKING JESUS! :eek: These monkeys are doing God's job. :salute:
2015_10_12_231333.jpg

Looks like the Yanks have been launching their own assault that has coincided with ours. Except ours has been a lot more successful thus far.

This cannot continue. The blasted radio tower must go down. We leave the factory for later, only blowing up the radar extension to prevent any more remote-controlled vehicles from spawning.
2015_10_18_214414.jpg

Here is that spawn of Satan! :argh::argh::argh:
2015_10_12_233035.jpg

However, before we deal with it, we must first deal with the more immediate threats. That's a lot of soldiers - even if they are low-level ones - and there are still manned gun turrets to the north. The soldiers do not pay attention to us until we start shooting them - looks like they are trying to get to the workshop and six frigging tanks in their base have messed up their pathfinding a little. :roll::lol:
2015_10_18_214730.jpg

And they still keep producing tanks! Is there an end to this? :negative:

2015_10_18_215028.jpg

Wait, I know! You can't produce units or fire your turrets if you no longer have a depot to power them all, now can you? My engineer that I've brought up just for such an occasion inches closer to their HQ. However, he can't capturing buildings unless there are no units inside, so we will have to smoke their engineers out.

Once they are out, I quickly realize that if I use my tanks to finish them off, the warehouse will blow up from the collateral damage alone. I order my drivers out of the vehicles and have them shoot the enemy personnel. It is slower, but much more precice and allows for better damage control.
2015_10_18_215605.jpg

And I finally bring down the accursed radio tower! Poor bastards can't even leave, since the only exit from the building is blocked by the very bulldozer that is demolishing it. However, 'dozers, while very good against buildings, are not the best choice to level the base down completely - the splash damage from the explosions whittles their structural integrity away very quickly, and there is nothing to be done about it because of a 'weapon' that only works at point-blank range.

Look at all those levels he got from shooting our guys while thinking himself untouchable! Where are your remote vehicles now, pal? :smug:
2015_10_18_220012.jpg

Oh. Looks like ever since the destruction of the radar extension, their drivers have been producing regular vehicles behind our backs, and driving them manually. They really do not know when to quit! :salute:

And the base is captured. All threats have been dispatched, the site is secure! FINALLY, THIS MISSION IS GOING TO BE OVER.
2015_10_18_220140.jpg

And just in time, too - they seem to have run out of crates, with only 80 left in the depot. Of course, with these supply convoys you'll never know if they won't receive more...

Look! Sevi's former base is just around the corner. They really are right next to each other - I wonder how they managed to hold it as long as they did.

At this point I just derp around the base painting the buildings in our colors - but it isn't all that safe - some defensive fortifications are still crewed even though the base itself has fallen.
2015_10_18_220430.jpg

Some of the regular structers still have personnel inside, too.

For the crimes against the Soviet Union and its people you are hereby sentenced to death by a monkey squad, effective immediately! :cool:
2015_10_18_220710.jpg

I bring the tanks to level what little is left of their defenses - more out of spite than from any real need.
2015_10_18_220845.jpg

Fun fact - the factory is set to produce vehicles regardless of what you order it to. That must be why they have so few resourses left - there are 5 units in the queue! If you cancel production, the unit in then re-added to the queue about five seconds later. Looks like an Ai script that doesn't acknowledge that the owner of the facility has now changed. Perhaps the base takeover wasn't meant to happen? :D

And I finally leave to Ovsyenko, but not before letting the 'dozer have a bit of fun with their medics.
2015_10_18_221208.jpg

See, those are hard to deal with decisively, since after the initial exchange of shots they go into a full-healing mode when they just refuse to die. You can try to outdamage them...

...or you can take advantage of the sheer width of your vehicle, trying to find a sweet spot where you can splat all three of them simultaneously. Can't outheal that.
2015_10_18_221419.jpg

Back at home, I have my scientists upgrade the lab to a Space-Time one, and finally fulfill my duties.
2015_10_18_221456.jpg

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Comrade commander! We have made an important discovery. Using Alaskite, we can now build warping device that is capable of slowing down time.
Gorky.jpg
- So we can move faster relative to surroundings?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- No, comrade commander, it slows time for the person wearing it. It could be used to stabilise the wounded awaiting treatment.
Gorky.jpg
- Thank you, comrade. Make sure it engages automatically if we are injured.

At long last, we get a transmission from our High Command.
2015_10_18_221542.jpg

Platonov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Comrade Gorky! This is an emergency! Arabians are planning an attack on our main base. You must prevent it. Attack the Arabian base New Kabul, East-North-East of your present position. We have noted you made contact with comrade Vsevolod Gorky. He has excellent record and will take a party of your best men for the reconnaissance of the Arabian base. You will remain. A convoy is bringing resources you must use to construct vehicles for the attack. Then you will leave eastward and support the attack on New Kabul. Repair your vehicles and produce new ones if you can. Take Alaskite, there won’t be any where you are going.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) I understand, comrade colonel.

Primary objectives received.
- Produce vehicles for you and your men and bring them to the area in the east.

We are taken to the screen where we are forced to split the party. However, I am not about to part with by best men, even for the sake of our bro. Something tells me they are going to be more useful to us since Platonov will manage to once again land us in shit. I just know it.
2015_10_18_221633.jpg

The team is chosen, and they leave right away - just like they were when the order came, in their scientist outfits. That pink bag is very inconspicuous and stealthy, very fitting for recon duty. :roll:
2015_10_18_221726.jpg

This is no longer our concern, however. We already have the tanks produced, so we just take them, grab a bit of Alaskite, and head to the designated area. I am done with this mission.
2015_10_18_222137.jpg

Mission Accomplished.

+ Brother Vsevolod saved.
+ V. A. Ovsyenko base saved.
+ Materialisation Prediction researched.

And the intermission screen. Lots of exp.
2015_10_18_222219.jpg

By the way, here are the stats for the mission. Its full name is 'Step By Step - Do or Die', but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else but this screen. The picture of a worker holding an Alaskite crystal is cool. I need to check the American campaign to see what do they have instead. But that's not why I took this screenshot.
2015_10_18_222820.jpg

41 people killed, 56 tanks destroyed over the course of the mission. Fifty. Six. Tanks.

And let us not speak about this mission ever again. :salute:

Edit: it turns out that 'Do or Die' is the name for the current arc of the Russian campaign. Seems fitting.
Bullets dodged:
One - if you do not come to the rescue.
6_Sevi.jpg
- Burlak! We are finished here! I'll blow the depot and that's it. Don't blame yourself. You did what you had to. See you in heaven, little brother.

Two - if you leave the base unprotected.
5_Gleb.jpg
- See, comrade Gorky? The base is back in enemy hands! How do you justify this!
Gorky.jpg
- Comrade Gleb, I am trying to save our brave soldiers.
6_Sevi.jpg
- (seriously) So you've abandoned your base to save us?
Gorky.jpg
- What else could I do? Now we have to take it back.
6_Sevi.jpg
- Maybe not. There are supplies in this depot. On their radio we hard of a cargo truck coming this way. Perhaps we could capture it?

Three - if you try to retake it despite your brother's advice.
6_Titov.jpg
- Ambush! Ambush!
5_Gleb.jpg
- Stretched too thin, Gorky! Now it is the end for us all!

Four - if you tire of this bullshit.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) What do you mean by that, comrade Gorky? You will be court-martialled for murder of political commissar! (mission fails)
:hero:

See you all in New Kabul! Maybe we can finally convert Heike to our harem. One can dream.

Last edited:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Always have one or two tanks with a gatling gun, when you attack a base. It's easier then. Mows down all the enemies, if you have your best mechanic in it.

MZeta

Scholar
Glad to see good ol' dozer in action again. From the looks of it, later the attacking forces didn't pose much threat to your base despite the number of enemy vehicles produced.

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 7. Fox hole.
2015_10_19_200106.jpg

Near New Kabul; June 8, 2 NR

Burlak and his men are close to the important Arab base - New Kabul. Now they must attack the base, hopefully this will stall the Arab attack on V. I. Lenin.

First, I discover some really unpleasant stuff about this mission - only 5 tanks can be carried over from the last one, and even if you choose cargo vehicles, they start empty. So essentially I have been packing my cargo trucks full of Alaskite for naught - you can get a maximum of 100 crystals, and they are transferred to this mission automatically. And here I thought I could take some extra with me. Worse yet, my first attempt had me start with 3 supply vehicles and only 2 combat ones. I had to reload a save from the previous mission and leave two cargo trucks outside of the marked area so that they wouldn't carry over - I hardly need more than one of those.
2015_10_19_200110.jpg

Platonov_radio.jpg
- This is colonel Platonov. The Arabian attack has begun and we have many casualties. You must proceed swiftly for once, comrade Gorky!
Fuck you, comrade colonel. If your pet captain got his map right, Ovsyenko would never have fallen in the first place.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- Your brother has made progress. Synchronise your attacks. Together you must eliminate New Kabul. I have work here, comrade Gorky. You will receive further orders from comrade major Popov.
Gorky.jpg
- Understood, comrade colonel. (to his brother) Sevi, how does it look?
6_Sevi.jpg
- That road leads to the base, North East of here. Two turrets guard the way.
Gorky.jpg
- Any ideas?
6_Sevi.jpg
- We developed the stasis field you discovered in Ovsyenko, but that is all for now. I’ll lead you to the North, you can improve a lab and build a factory there while we do a little reconnaissance.

Sevi marks the location of a Russian outpost in the area on our map.
2015_10_19_200138.jpg

Then he takes a team and heads to do recon, as he promised.
2015_10_19_200145.jpg

...he doesn't go very far, though. lightbane, you jinxed him!! :argh:
2015_10_19_200200.jpg

Kirienkova.jpg
- What is happening?
Oh, it's Yelena Kirilenkova, the medic from our first mission! There's so few of us left. :negative:
Gorky.jpg
- Sevi! Are you all right?

2015_10_19_200204.jpg

Kirienkova.jpg
- Comrade Gorky your brother is wounded. We need a scientist for him, quickly.
Popov_Radio.jpg
- (over radio) Your brother is a great asset of Red army. It is personal order of general Morozov that he must survive.
5_Gleb.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, he is your brother! You have to save him.
That's a different tune from the one you sung the last time. :?
Gorky.jpg
- Good thing we developed stasis first. But we must be swift or he will still die.

One explosion, three casualties. These landmines are deadly.
2015_10_19_201259.jpg

I'd better steer the bulldozer away - it is known to cause damage simply by moving in the vicinity of another unit. We don't want to squish our bro by freak accident.

We make haste to the northern base, only to find it in a worse condition than Vsevolod reported. Clearly, it suffered a recent attack - the signs of destruction are still fresh. We must rebuild it.
2015_10_19_201340.jpg

It is only fitting to send Gorky Jr. as a medic. The condition of the wounded still deteriorates, albeit at a much slower rate. We have to stabilize to other soldiers somewhat before turning our full attention to Sevi.
2015_10_19_203022.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- (anxiously) Are you all right, Sevi?
6_Sevi.jpg
- Thanks little brother, I can manage.
Gorky.jpg
- General Morozov was worried about you.
6_Sevi.jpg
- Not surprising, the first thing I do is step on a mine! We shall follow in your footsteps now Burlak, that will be safer! (control of Vsevolod's men is transferred to Burlak)

Good, now everything is in order. I upgrade my lab to an Optical one to work on materialization prediction - at the same time, I send my tanks ahead to scout for Arabian forces in the region. It doesn't take us long to find them...
2015_10_19_202239.jpg

Mortarmen, meet uncle 'Dozer. It is a perfect weapon against those that can't shoot at point-blank range. The heavy gun tanks don't slack off, either. They are meant to break heavy fortifications, and these bunkers are no match for their firepower.
2015_10_19_202342.jpg

Before I can push farther into Arabian territory, there is a distinct materialization boom inside my base that attracts my attention. And once again, it's not crates.

It's a mercenary.
2015_10_19_202354.jpg

7_Raul.jpg
- Here we go. (a beat) Where is everybody? Hajji? René? (turns to Kirilenkova) Yelena? I did not know you were coming.
Kirienkova.jpg
- Who are you? What are you talking about?
7_Raul.jpg
- Raul Xavier. Surely you can recall, Monte Negro 2001, 1st Serbian International Brigade. I was proud to serve under you.
Srbija? So you, too, would like to REMOVE KEBAB? Perhaps you would be worth keeping... but in what capacity?

Okay, Codex, I am all ears.
2015_10_19_202407.jpg

We can either explain it to Raul how mistaken he is, or play along as if everything is in order. Your pick.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
String him along. Keep a bulldozer near him just to be sure though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom