Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
I want to go with inverse foresight, I don't want us investing in tricksy illusion magic to hide from our problems any more than we get the odd bonus for and if that vision one needs more illusion magic to be better I know folks will vote to go and boost that. This one's also good to go as is.

What do you mean? Erd really needs that illusion magic. Even though you may disagree, he can't go around wearing extravagant clothes to conceal his features all the time, nor is he able to freely show off his inhuman features (unless he wishes to end the rest of his days chained to a wall). At least not until we take over the world/go to that monster-dominated region (even though in the latter's case, there's still a chance there will be trouble anyway).

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Even though you may disagree, he can't go around wearing extravagant clothes to conceal his features all the time
He would agree, but for a different reason.

You are talking to an operative of the Angel Liberation Front, after all. :M

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Stepping Up

“Right then… it’s a pain, but I shall do my best,” you say, rising reluctantly. The audience cheers and claps, and Nostrus’s smug smile widens so far that you think his head might split open.

Alexander brings out a mug of water for Arlin, who is lying prone on the grass while making intermittent gagging noises. The burly guild master looks at you, his wrinkled eyes twinkling with renewed respect and the sort of admiring disbelief reserved for looking at people who are bravely intent on making a fool of themselves in public despite all advice to the contrary. “Good luck out there, Trider. You’ll need it,” he says. “You should go all out. Argius has cast a barrier around the area to contain the force of any stray spells, so do not worry about injuring any bystanders.”

Does that mean you can use Gigadyne? You give the wooden sword a light twirl in response and walk out to meet your opponents. Knight-Captain Wisteria greets you with a nod, her face resolute. The other one, the handsome wizard called Elmont, gives you an apologetic smile and tilts his head as if to say, let’s get this all fuss over with, shall we? Tapping the sword on your shoulder, you stand in front of them leisurely, tilting your hat downwards until it obscures your eyes.

“Are you ready, Sir Trider?” asks Wisteria sharply when you make no move to acknowledge the imminent duel.

Before you can say anything, Nostrus calls the start of the match.

Elmont is the first to move. Raising his hand, he calls out an incantation for a magic arrow, one of the most elementary attack spells a magic wielder can cast. Five shining bolts of energy shoot forth from his outstretched fingers, converging on you as swift as actual arrows. The crowd lets out a collective gasp at the majestic sight, though their amazement soon turns to disappointment as the magic fails to hit its mark – by the time it arrives you have already stepped aside, letting it harmlessly scorch the cobblestones.

Wisteria acts next. She leaps, bringing her sword downward in a lunging slash. You swing your own weapon lightly – there is a small cracking sound as wood meets wood, and you repel her attack easily. She hops back to her original position, taking up a stance again.

After that, Elmont casts his next spell: a glowing red snake that zig-zags erratically through the air at high speed, homing in on you. You consider dodging again, but your Battle Premonition warns you that this magic has a limited ability to track you. You could move faster than the spell can strike, but it would be too much of a hassle. As the snake flies towards your chest, you smash it with your wooden sword, shattering it into little red sparks. For some reason, Elmont looks a little surprised at that, his mouth slightly agape.

Wisteria acts, darting in low to swing her sword at your knees. Her blade is met with your foot, which you use to force her back with a quick kick. You watch her return to her original position, and then at Elmont, incanting his next spell.

“Wait,” you call out.

“Oh? Are you giving up already?” sneers Nostrus from the sidelines.

You ignore him and continue, “Are the two of you fighting in turns?”

“Well, yes?” Wisteria looks puzzled, as is Elmont. “It is only fair since you are fighting alone.”

“If Sir Trider finds the challenge insufficient, then I think we would be much more entertained if the two of you treated this as an actual battle. Non-lethally, of course,” Nostrus speaks quickly, before you can readily agree with Wisteria. “I mean, a duel based in turns does seem quite boring, don’t you think?” He addresses that last question to the crowd, who holler in agreement.

“If you say so, Lord Nostrus,” says Elmont slightly reluctantly. “Shall we, Knight-Captain?”

Wisteria sighs. Then, sword in hand, she dashes towards you.

Crossing swords with her, you find that she is certainly as good as you had expected from her short fight with Arlin. As you defend yourself from her skillful bladework, Elmont shouts from somewhere behind her a familiar word: “Fireball!”

Wisteria retreats, getting out of the way as a fiery ball barrels towards you. You hear Nostrus let out a triumphant laugh as the spell approaches you, close enough to illuminate your face. Then, it appears to hit a wall of runes appearing out of thin air, and the fireball explodes in a flash of red and blue light. The sight of the explosion causes the crowd to draw back instinctively though the barrier is more than enough to keep its force restrained. Magic’s guard denies thine spell. “Lesser Spellshield.” With a quiet whisper, you recast the shield.

Elmont grits his teeth in disbelief. “Wh-what was that magic? Don’t give him time to cast any spells!” he shouts to Wisteria, although you had already done so under his nose. “Keep him occupied, Knight-Captain! I’ll prepare something more powerful!”

“Yes!” Acknowledging his advice, Wisteria closes in. The two of you cross blades again.

“Wisteria… Wist? Can I call you Wist?” you ask, parrying a thrust from her blade that would have struck you right in the throat.

“You may not!” she responds heatedly.

“Pity. You are pretty good at this, aren’t you?” you say, turning the subject quickly to something else.

“So are you, Sir Trider. For a mage, you are an excellent swordsman. I am honestly surprised, but I suppose if you are that boy’s teacher…”

“For a mage, you say,” you grin. “Does that mean you think you are still better?”

“Yes.” The answer comes quickly, confidently. So she is still holding back. You swing just a bit faster and just a bit harder. A look of shock flits across the face of the stern beauty, and she backs away. “You… you are full of surprises. Are you trying to tell me that I cannot beat you unless I do my best?”

“Maybe?” you say, keeping it enigmatic. In truth, it had merely been a careless lapse in your concentration.

“Then I shall answer your call!” She seems almost joyful. “Let’s see how you deal with one of the Knight-Commander’s famed techniques… Threefold Flash Strike!”

Calling out the name of the technique, Wisteria strikes. Her wooden sword is a blur of movement, appearing to strike from three directions simultaneously. Somehow, at almost the same point in time, you perceive two horizontal swings from the left and the right and a powerful slash from above. The move is executed with such precision and speed that even your Shadow Steps and Battle Premonition provide no reliable escape route: you are trapped within the cage of her sword. It is a move that would normally be impossible without the use of magic that could twist time and space. There is a burst of light as your Lesser Forceshield is overcome by the attack – it only blocks one of the three hits. The remaining two land squarely on your hat and your flank. A strange clanging noise resounds along with a loud crack as the wooden blade breaks itself on your hidden halo, driving the hat further down your head.

The look of concentration on Wisteria’s face is replaced by that of shock when she realizes that you are unharmed. There was too little power behind her strike. From her murmured astonishment, she appears to be attributing it to some strange magic of yours rather than your natural resilience. Again, you feel thankful that you aren’t facing Rin, who would probably have upped it to something ludicrous like Hundredfold Flash Strike.

“Good job buying time, Lady Wisteria! Draw back, I’ll handle it from here!” shouts Elmont, glowing with magical energy. Once Wisteria has heeded his words and retreated to a safe distance, he launches his spell: “Quagmire!”

Instantly, the surrounding area under your feet transforms into a sticky, foul-smelling swamp. You sink into it, ankle-deep, before you can react. The mud grips onto you like a baby clutching its mother’s breast, sucking and clinging. It would not be easy to break free; you expect that you would need to exert a good part of your strength to do so physically.

“Now that you cannot move… it is over, Sir Trider. You will now face not one, but six powerful lightning elementals!” declares Elmont as he raises his hands up to the night sky. “Come, divine familiars of the Sky Goddess! Burn the skies with your howl!” Surges of electrical energy erupt into existence on both sides of Elmont, flapping his beautiful purple robes in a dashing and dramatic manner. They coalesce into six shining wolves, their majestic manes sparking with blue light. Snarling and pawing at the ground, they stare at you. The audience shouts out in disbelief at the sight of those wolves. As if Elmont had been forced to use them to deal with you, that there was no other way to defeat this rude mage with a big hat.

Ah, Electric Wolves. Six of them, at that.

“It is over, Sir Trider,” Elmont repeats. “Will you surrender?”

This is getting to be a bit tiresome. You wonder if you can get out of this with minimal effort... As elementals, the wolves would be impervious to most normal physical attacks and a fair bit of magic, though you could still blow them apart with a strong enough wind spell. You could also have your own summons attack his...

A. You summon seven wolves. Two can play at that game. Let’s see if Elmont can call eight.

B. You conjure a Lightning Tiger and have it eat the wolves.

C. You call up a Thunder Dragon, structural integrity of the palace be damned. They need to learn not to bother you with piddling summons.

D. You tear the wolves apart with a Whirlwind.

E. You cast Elemental Protection against lightning, rendering yourself all but immune to the wolves attacks, and let Elmont exhaust himself trying to maintain his summons.

F. You are the one that they called the Thunder Emperor: you use Gigadyne directly on the wolves, destroying them and reshaping them into beasts under your control.

G. Despite your strong feelings of apathy, Barbatos is feeling a bit left out that you haven’t been beating up your opponents with manly fist-fighting – you can tell from the way your right arm is tingling. You should probably entertain him from time to time. Exerting your Battle Aura, you break free from the swamp and smash the wolves with your fists.

H. You surrender. There is no effort more minimal than this. So what if you have to strip?

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hello everyone. I usually don't vote in CYOAs other then Myth, but I couldn't take it anymore, so... well. Sup.

B - let's play with him for now. Better to know what moves can he come with and in what style he want to fight.

Nevill

Arcane
I do so want to help BRObatos out. Frankly, I hoped that we would let him loose and punch Elmont in the gut. I still do.

Interesting choices. I could settle for wolves or a tiger - they should know by now we can summon about 50 of them. The survivors of Erise wouldn't keep it a secret, would they? Going for a Dragon or Gigadyne in a mock duel would be overkill.

However, I dig unusual solutions to the problem. A whirlwind, an elemental protection, or a furious fisting all sound just fine. I wonder if the glove has to manifest for that, though... :?

How noticeable an exertion of a Battle Aura would be to a bystander?

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
they should know by now we can summon about 50 of them, the survivors of Erise wouldn't keep it a secret, would they?

Farland is likely playing things close to the chest about your true abilities, or at least what he thinks to be your true abilities, and there is as always people who will treat any stories coming out of Erise - if there are any - as wild exaggeration.

How noticeable an exertion of a Battle Aura would be to a bystander?

Depends on how much of your mana you channel into the aura. You have not tried dumping all of it yet. There's always the possibility you'll start to glow. :M

Otherwise, at minimal levels, nothing. The Battle Aura is mainly used so you can do physical damage to the wolves, rather than for the stat boost. Think of it like conferring enchanted +1 monk fists.

Nevill

Arcane
Hm. Didn't consider that one. In that case, wouldn't they also consider summons to be a confirmation of our abilities as the stories tell them?

For now it is just a long tale. If we don't reuse our spells, they won't know if something happened for sure or if it is just imagination and excuses from those who failed in their task.

That said, it would also reveal new information about us.

My guess is, the more lightning we use, the sooner they will realize our specialty and the sooner they will come up with a way to block this particular element. As our strongest spells are in this category, I would advise against relying on lightning for mundane battles.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
“Oh? Are you giving up already?” sneers Nostrus from the sidelines.

You ignore him and continue, “Are the two of you fighting in turns?”

“Well, yes?” Wisteria looks puzzled, as is Elmont. “It is only fair since you are fighting alone.”

Wisteria, being a connoisseur of turn-based combat, will be a fine addition to a harem. Erdrick doesn't fuck filthy casuals, we have a strict "no popamolers" policy.

As for what to do in this situation, I'm not really willing to fuck around here. C to decisively seal the victory hopefully, without unleashing Gigadyne, the true ace up our sleeve. Since we accepted this bet, we have to avoid holding back - we have to really commit to turning the tables and winning this thing to wipe the shit-eating grin from Nostrils' face. I'm willing to flop if I think upon it further, however.

Nevill

Arcane
I could, but this LP isn't very long, and it also doesn't try to track the whole Multiverse as we know it. :lol:

Sure, if it helps people catch up, I'll do it.

Kipeci

Arcane
As fond as I would be of Gigadyning everything, it should be fun to just play along and do a bit of one-upmanship... but fisting everything with poor Barbatos is also calling out to me.

Eh, G>C

Gobblecock made a good point, never mind the tiger. Let's step right on up to dragon.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
A strange clanging noise resounds along with a loud crack as the wooden blade breaks itself on your hidden halo, driving the hat further down your head.

The look of concentration on Wisteria’s face is replaced by that of shock when she realizes that you are unharmed. There was too little power behind her strike. From her murmured astonishment, she appears to be attributing it to some strange magic of yours rather than your natural resilience.
How could she harm us - even if she applied more power - if there is a halo protecting us? The sword would break all the same, wouldn't it?

treave, since Wisteria broke her weapon, does it mean that we are against Elmont now? I am not sure she is one to fight you with her fists.

The next question is not for treave, but for you fellow 'Dexers. Seeing how Elmost went all in...
The audience shouts out in disbelief at the sight of those wolves. As if Elmont had been forced to use them to deal with you, that there was no other way to defeat this rude mage with a big hat.

Ah, Electric Wolves. Six of them, at that.
Does it mean that once we scatter the wolves we've already won? :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
How could she harm us - even if she applied more power - if there is a halo protecting us? The sword would break all the same, wouldn't it?

You also got hit in the side. One hit was blocked by the spellshield, one by your halo, and the last struck home. The sword wouldn't have suffered the rigours of the technique well at any rate. The move was supposed to end the match. By "too little power", Erdrick is measuring it by the standards of Rin or the Demon King, who would've found ways to make a wooden sword hurt.

treave, since Wisteria broke her weapon, does it mean that we are against Elmont now?

Yes.

lightbane

Arcane
Finally, an update!

“If Sir Trider finds the challenge insufficient, then I think we would be much more entertained if the two of you treated this as an actual battle. Non-lethally, of course,” Nostrus speaks quickly, before you can readily agree with Wisteria. “I mean, a duel based in turns does seem quite boring, don’t you think?” He addresses that last question to the crowd, who holler in agreement. [...]As you defend yourself from her skillful bladework, Elmont shouts from somewhere behind her a familiar word: “Fireball!”. Wisteria retreats, getting out of the way as a fiery ball barrels towards you. You hear Nostrus let out a triumphant laugh as the spell approaches you, close enough to illuminate your face. Then, it appears to hit a wall of runes appearing out of thin air, and the fireball explodes in a flash of red and blue light.

Nostrils confirmed as a popamole-lover. Also, Methuss has a curious understanding as what passes for non-lethal battles.

A strange clanging noise resounds along with a loud crack as the wooden blade breaks itself on your hidden halo, driving the hat further down your head.

Not the hat! Careful Erd, lest they break it and show your secret. Anyway, since Westeria has been disarmed, Elmont is our only rival right now. If we dispel the wolves one way or another, we can call it a victory already. However, would Barbatos manifest himself here if we cast Battle Aura in order to punch these wolves?

Either way, I vote for B>G.

I believe the Dragon is a bit overkill, for not to mention Erd might lose control of the summon and do something we'll regret.

Kipeci

Arcane
By the way, treave, have a couple of our followers leveled up a little? I don't think I remember their stats being quite as high as they are now previously.

Nevill

Arcane
Arlin and Aria gained 3 levels since joining. Runde got 9, but he is a gobbo, there are limits to what he can do and how much he can develop, so the progress is slower.

I don't remember Lucy's stats when she first joined. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom