Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wayfar 1444

set

Cipher
starmap.png

http://wayfar1444.com

It's uh, a MUD. Can we talk about MUDs in this board? Or is this only for "MMORPGs"?

If your definition of MMORPG is something like, 'A game where over one hundred users can play togethermurder eachother in a universe filled with aliens, space guns, space ships, and spacey ground-extracting thingamabobs.' Then this counts, I think.

I don't know that much about the game since I've only been playing for about a week, and it is relatively new. I've been following it on and off and randomly logged on to find it's finally up and running. It's an infantile MUD- which is both a good and bad thing. It's good, because it means there's a lot of opportunities to carve out a big niche for yourself. It's bad, because, well, it seems unlikely you're going to run into many other players for a while! But MUDs can get pretty popula and the unvierse doesn't seem that enormous, so it might be worth the playtime investment. Someday, you could own a planet of virtual factories and deathbots.

So far, the mechanics are pretty interesting. The game is running off of a heavily modified HellCore, I think, which has its roots in LambdaMoo. This means you'll be able to take advantage of some nice string-aliasing stuff, and the goodness that is ASCII maps! Oh, if Armageddon had ASCII maps like these...

The beginning is really underwhelming, but stick with it at least until you're plopped onto a planet and forced to survive.

The name of the game here is to survive and explore, there's a heavy crafting focus here, and apparently some kind of rerolling/mutation system for more varied character advancement? It's all still very new to me, but it looks like the sort of thing people here might enjoy.

Warning : This game probably already has more features than Wildstar, despite it being an alpha text game based off a twenty year old engine programmed by one guy in his spare time. It's amazing how far MMOs have come since we started making them.

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's uh, a MUD. Can we talk about MUDs in this board? Or is this only for "MMORPGs"?

I'd assume that if they shove party-games with unified chat channel into this subforum, MUDs would be far, far more acceptable. :p

set

Cipher
I realize I'm commiting some necromancy here, but I figured...why not?

I'm not entirely sure what state the game is in right now - alpha, beta, release? It's something of a mixture. Or at least, that's how it plays to me. The game has come along some. However, the beginning remains much the same. You select a name. You board a landing pod. You get dropped onto an open world area. At first, I thought I was the only one on the planet - but that was quickly proven wrong by all the structures on the surface. I quickly encountered a group of new players building a small village.

I haven't been able to get into the game, sadly. It does go to some lengths to entice you - by giving you a goal before you head out into space. If you compelte that goal, you earn some points that can be used to boost your character's maximum skill point threshold the next time you reroll. That's what immediately turned me off from pursuing this game again. Sure, I like to replay RPGs, especially online ones with communities...But I don't like 'ascension'-based gameplay. I don't like to be encouraged to do it. I like the idea of making one character and sticking with it. I want a continuity with my character.

The second thing that turned me off from the game was that I went crafter - and I just didn't care for the crafting. You collect ingridients and then you improvise stuff without any apparent skill checks. If you know a house requires wood and fiber, you just collect enough of both, then just build it. I rather enjoy HellCore's approach more - you find a recipe schematic, go out and find the necessary parts after deciding you want to build it, and then you attempt to make it pending your craft skill. I'm sure there's more to Wayfar's crafting system than what I experienced, just as I'm sure there's a lot to explore in the game currently - I just didn't feel motivated to do it.

Bumping this in-case anyone wants to check it out. My experience with it turned me off, but it looks like a nice, comprehensive space exploration text game. Considering that it's in heavy active development still, I doubt the game's going to die anytime soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom