Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline 10: New Blood for the Feast

Which era should we play in?

• Early Age

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Middle Age

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Late Age

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
So, I've been obsessed with Dominions for a while now, but have yet to play MP. I'd like to get a game going, and I'm not too picky on the details. I'd be more comfortable if someone else was willing to run it, but I'm willing to do it if nobody else wants to. Doesn't look complicated. I feel I should also mention that I'm well aware I'm likely to get stomped as a noob to MP, and I'm ok with that. Please don't feel like you have to be gentle, I'm actually hoping to learn from the brutality of others.

Post here if you'd like to join in, and feel free to suggest an age/map/settings/whatever. If you want to run it, feel free to say that too. If nobody else cares about details either, I'll just make something up. My only requirement is that it not be a Disciples game.

I made a poll to see which era most people would be interested in. I personally don't care.

Edit:
A LA game was started.
Dominions 4: CodexNoob

Arcoscephale - hoverdog
Pangea - Muty
Man - noisenerd
Ulm - Zephyr Arsland
Marignon - Grimwulf
Mictlan - sqeecoo
T'ien Ch'i - hello friend
C'tis - Matalarata
Bogarus - KoolNoodles
Lemuria - Lizzurd
Atlantis - Dayyālu

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm in. Any era and settings would do as long as it's a non-disciples game (there were too many of them lately). Voted for LA, coz we didn't have any non-dis LA game here on Dex, but I'm gud with anything.

The map traditionally depends on the size of the game. 15 provinces per player, plus-minus, is considered the golden standard.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Hmm, pencil me in, because a couple games just ended and one might as well be over(Decline 7). Though, if it's newbies who want to play other newbies, maybe best to stay out.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Though, if it's newbies who want to play other newbies, maybe best to stay out.

Actually, diplo matters much more than skill in most situations. But if guys want to play in strict noob-vs-noob format, it's better to host the pbem elsewhere. Not many noobs can be found here.

Edit: I'm saying "noob" in a lovable manner. Yes, it's a word.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Actually, diplo matters much more than skill in most situations. But if guys want to play in strict noob-vs-noob format, it's better to host the pbem elsewhere. Not many noobs can be found here.

You've got a point about diplo, true.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
I'm not necessarily looking for noob-on-noob. Maybe I'm being overly ambitious, but I was actually hoping to learn by playing with folks who are more experienced. It seems like there's a lot of stuff you miss just playing the AI (diplo, strategies and tactics other than "send doomstack"), and I think just playing with other noobs might not be the best way to see what it's really all about. If the experienced folks are willing, so am I.

No offense taken. It's the internet, if "noob" hurts your feelers, it's gonna be a rough ride.

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Well, looks like we've got 7 players, and nobody else has volunteered to run it, so I'm gonna go ahead and start getting my shit together so we can maybe get this going before too long. Anyone else who wants to join is still welcome, I just want to get the ball rolling.

Just to be sure: is everyone on V4.22?

We seem to have a tied vote as far as era goes, other than that, I'm thinking pretty much stock settings, with Worthy Heroes as the only mod (I have several versions, using O5.1 right now myself but willing to roll back if necessary).

Also, regarding indies and thrones: I usually play with low indy strength and only level 1 or 2 thrones as it really doesn't add much to the SP experience. I will gladly take suggestions on this. I'd like to keep indies recruitable, just wondering if we want strong indies & high-level thrones? No thrones? Again, if nobody cares I'll just pick something.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Too low indy strenght=lightning fast expansion. As for worthy heroes Kodex Kritical Konsensus is to use the earlier, original version (1.23 iirc)
Tentatively pinging sqeecoo, not sure if he noticed the thread

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Ok, Worthy Heroes 1.23 it is then.

Sorry, but I'd rather stick with vanilla nations. I'd probably be up for a NationGen game down the road, but I haven't tried that mod at all yet, so I'm not really comfortable trying it out for the first time in my first MP game.

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
Aw, I'd kill for some NatGen action. Seeing the crazy stuff happening in the Great Wasteland over at Pink Natathingy is epic.
HOWEVER;
I fully understand your point, and support it. Vanilla it is.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Oooh, thanks for pinging me Matalarata. Yeah, I think I'd be in as well if you are still taking!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Just to be sure: is everyone on V4.22?

Yes.

We seem to have a tied vote as far as era goes

Usually game host uses his SHEER WILLPOWER to make this decision, while all the others whine and complain (but play in any case).

other than that, I'm thinking pretty much stock settings

Do note that game defaults and llama defaults are slightly different. Llama has easy research set by default (which I kinda despise, it makes the game convulsive), among other thingies.

Also, regarding indies and thrones: I usually play with low indy strength and only level 1 or 2 thrones as it really doesn't add much to the SP experience. I will gladly take suggestions on this.

Low indy str ain't worth it, really. I would much prefer either standard 5, or whatever upper levels you may set. Your call, tho - you are the game host.

The Thrones depend on the map. My usual setting of choice is 6 - 3 - 1 / 10 or 12 points to win. If you want guaranteed lategame, better set 12.

I'd like to keep indies recruitable

It's not like there is an option to make them non-recruitable. You can mess with map script, but that would lead to consequences and another game entirely.

Finally, if you need some aid with hosting the game or customizing map (replacing starts or Thrones or whatever else) - I'm here. Still sober. Not for long

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Usually game host uses his SHEER WILLPOWER to make this decision, while all the others whine and complain (but play in any case).

Do note that game defaults and llama defaults are slightly different. Llama has easy research set by default (which I kinda despise, it makes the game convulsive), among other thingies.

Gotcha, and noted.

Low indy str ain't worth it, really. I would much prefer either standard 5, or whatever upper levels you may set. Your call, tho - you are the game host.

The Thrones depend on the map. My usual setting of choice is 6 - 3 - 1 / 10 or 12 points to win. If you want guaranteed lategame, better set 12.

Cool, thanks for the tips.

It's not like there is an option to make them non-recruitable. You can mess with map script, but that would lead to consequences and another game entirely.

Finally, if you need some aid with hosting the game or customizing map (replacing starts or Thrones or whatever else) - I'm here. Still sober. Not for long

I thought there was a "no indies recruitable" mod, but I guess it doesn't matter anyway. If map customization is necessary for fun, then yeah I'll need help, otherwise I'm just gonna roll with something out-of-the-box.

I'm actually ready to roll now, but either I'm a moron and can't figure out how, or I can't edit my posts. I guess I'll drop the game info here for now, since it looks like we have enough players:

--- GAME INFO BELOW ---

Game name: CodexNoob (for clarity: name in reference to myself, not the game's expected participants)

Llamaserver link: http://www.llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=CodexNoob

Map: Valanis (the floating island one)http://www.moddb.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/addons/dawn-of-bridges
Mods: Worthy Heroes 1.23
Late Age
Score graphs off
Hall of fame size 15
Research on Difficult
Magic site frequency 50
Events set to rare
Story events off
Renaming on
Ascension points required for victory: 12
Number of level 1 thrones: 6
Number of level 2 thrones: 3
Number of level 3 thrones: 1
All other settings on default

MY RULES:
- No going AI without contacting me first (pretty sure this is the accepted etiquette anyway).
- Diplomacy is encouraged, but won't be enforced. That is, you won't get kicked out for breaking treaties or whatever, though of course you might get your ass kicked.
- I'm pretty sure I don't have to say this here, but I will anyway: it's just a game, have fun, no butthurt kindergarten BS.
- I call dibs on Man.

Set to max of 10 players, which means it looks like we're full up. As stated above, this is my first time with MP, so if I've done something stoopid please let me know, but please don't feel like you have to go easy. I'm going into this expecting to learn by losing. Otherwise, I think we're ready?

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Sorry, I'm new at this too. The following is going by information I found here: http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1890

I guess we should probably announce which nations we want in this thread first, then you design your Pretender using the Game Tools in the main menu. Find your Pretender file, and email it to the llamaserver at the address given in the link above, with the name of the game (CodexNoob) in the subject. Be sure you don't have any mods enabled that affect Pretender creation when you create yours- I don't think it'll matter if you have Worthy Heroes enabled or not.

Also, I forgot to mention/ask: is a 36-hour turn limit good with everyone? I could probably handle 24 hrs myself if that's better.

Zephyr Arsland

Learned
Is there a deadline? I'll get cracking on a nation selection. I got nuthin' goin' for LA.
Other than that, we're going to have some fun here :) , thanks for setting this up!

noisenerd

Learned
Patron
BattleTech
Is there a deadline?

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to set one... let's shoot for 48 hours from the posting of this message. I'm willing to be flexible here if need be, not sure how busy everyone is. Just eager to get started, but I also realize the beginning of the week can be hectic for most people.

thanks for setting this up!

No problem, thanks for joining! :)

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Usually we pick nations randomly, wich is a great way to get to know the game, new players tend to try and remain in the comfort zone of the nation they feel they can use better.
Also consider Dom isn't a "balanced" game, some nations are much better than others...
That said, I have no problems if we decide to let players choose them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom