Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
I kinda like the idea of having Arlin go on the date, if only because it would ensure Mr. Nostrils' butthurt reaches new highs. Also, it would produce a localized political shitstorm that will be hilarious to watch ("a blue-blooded lady going out with a mysterious stranger? Unacceptable! ; Said lady going out with a dirty peasant who also happens to be a minor? EXTRA HERETICAL!!"). Therefore, I'll modify my votes to:

1.A3>A4(Arlin goes out)>A2

2.A2>A4

At this rate, the boy is going to get all of the ladies... Which is probably what's going to happen anyway, considering Erd's lack of luck.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
A3 - something permanent that he didn't suggest. He'll hate it.
B - He can do it! Plus he won't appreciate our pep talk if we interfere.

Jester

Arbiter
You aren't going to control it and lol at relying on his word.

It's why I think that making Nostrils his nickname is not that great of an idea - we can call him that anyway, as can anyone who does not respect or fear him. However, many do, probably because of his ties with the big guys, so I am not too sure how well it would stick.

I'd rather the punishment be something that would mark him as a non-entity for the rest of his life, but I can't quite think of anything.
Was thinking that any nobble marriage will be quite problematic for him. Either he would be a confirmed oath-breaker, or unable to get official successor at least noble one. Guess making him cancel his wedding and stating he is unworthy of her is huge from perspective of other nobles.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, what are the rules of the duel? Is it not over until Arlin surrenders and submits, or are there more nuances?

It's just a friendly sparring session.

Well, you guys are pretty keen about taking the bet but giving little consideration to the spells. It's like you think there's no chance you're going to lose. :M

a cut of domestic sheep prime

It's just a friendly sparring session.

Well, you guys are pretty keen about taking the bet but giving little consideration to the spells. It's like you think there's no chance you're going to lose. :M
Well, the Codex did pick a child with solid F stats in everything but CHARISMA and AGILITY as our champion. How could we possibly lose? :M

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, the Codex did pick a child with solid F stats in everything but CHARISMA and AGILITY as our champion. How could we possibly lose? :M
Well, at this point "not getting hit" is pretty much the only thing to bet on. :M

That is, if the spell works at least partly as intended.

Minor increases to stats would not be able to improve our situation drastically. It's either A3 where Arlin is blatantly invulnerable to damage, or A4. And if she has an attack he can't dodge at all, maybe he can ensure 'mutual destruction' with the power of premonition. It's not like this is real combat where such a move would be highly undesireable.

I'd be willing to consider not betting, but this is the Codex. We'd rather weasel out of a shitty deal than not take it, YOLOuxia City-style. :M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Alright, after sleeping on it I have decided to look at it more critically.

- There is a no chance that this is going to work for us if we let it play out naturally, and even our best cheating measures are not very effective due to lack/deficiencies of our support spells.
- There is little for us to gain if we win, but we stand to lose a lot.

Now, to elaborate on this - if we win, I have no idea what to do with the Knight-Captain even if we go on a date (jokes aside). I mean, surely we can't confide in her that we are an angel and have her elope with us after a single date? There might be a possibility to ruin Nostrils' marriage, but it would be a pretty long shot, considering the pressure from her uncle. Alternatively, we can use her as our insider in Hargreave family. But this is all pretty unconvincing compared to the potential risks.

I think I would be content using this opportunity to ramp up our reputation of 'that guy', rid Arlin of his complexes (or at least put a solid foundation for that), and test a brand new spell with a BA4 vote. There is a good chance this is going to lose us the sparring that needs to be acknowledged, but it does not much matter if we get other benefits out of it. Putting Rin under modified Battle Premonition would be pretty sweet, but I doubt we would be arsed to find time for this experiment on our own without external pressure. Pretty sure the lot of us would be voting for learning new spells instead.

On the other hand, if we are hell-bent on winning this, then I don't suppose blatant cheating should be discounted. After all, we promised Nostrils to fight without spells, and the actual fighting would have none. Of course, this can still go poorly if Wisteria breaks through the barrier one way or the other, or if, upon the discovery of our cheating, Juilius decides to chime in and cast a dispel. And even if we win, I wonder what happens if the results are questioned.

We have decided to go with a series of pretty long shots, so I guess it would be best not to be dependent on our victory here to continue. Unless jogging around the Palace in our underpants under an Invisibility spell counts. :M

(BA4) > (A2A3)

Now, I know that the 'Dex is hypercompetitive, but let's see if I can convince anyo-
Azira A2 A4
Kz3r0 A2 A4
lightbane A3>A4>A2 A2>A4
TOME A2 A4
Rex Feral A2 A4
GreyViper A4 A4
Storyfag A2 A3
Nevill (B A4) > (A2 A3)
Lambchop19 A2 A3>A4
archaen A4>A2 A4
Grimgravy A3 B
Baltika9 A4>A2 A4
Kipeci A2 A4
Elfberserker B A4

A2 - 7 (10)
A3 - 2
A4 - 3 (0)
B - 2

A2 - 1 (0)
A3 - 3 (2)
A4 - 9 (11)
B - 1
We are doomed.
:dead:

Ok, bros, seriously. Anyone open to a DISCUSS on the subject?

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I think that the best we can make of this situation is to help Arlin along with his development as a man. Break his passivity and all that jazz. And I actually agree with the use of Battle Premonition. If successful, it will boost his already preternatural avoidance instincts to unreal levels; if not, oh well. I would prefer that the date went to Arlin as well in case of victory (with us in the shadows to help along, of course), but I don't see the Dex voting for it.
Therefore: A4(date for Arlin)>A2 A4.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
If successful, it will boost his already preternatural avoidance instincts to unreal levels; if not, oh well.
A very Codexian approach. Focus on the positives, discard the negatives as if they don't exist. The DEMONZ would be proud. :salute:

Arlin as well in case of victory (with us in the shadows to help along, of course), but I don't see the Dex voting for it.
The vote already has a small following, and it's A4. I am counting yours as such.

Baltika9

Arcane
A very Codexian approach. Focus on the positives, discard the negatives as if they don't exist.
Our mentalities in regards to this situation are different: a part of the voter base wants to weasel into the high society and spin some awesome tricks and for that they want to put on a nice/somewhat dignified showing. The other part wants to push the envelope as far as we can and, yes, this is a 'high risk, high reward' situation, for whatever reason. Arlin's upbringing is kind of more important to me personally than this kingdom, and if we have to make a bet to give him a chance, then why the fuck not?
The huge problem here is that, should we lose, we'll have to strip down to our undergarments and run away from the capital in all of our naked angelic glory.
The DEMONZ would be proud. :salute:
I am the Demonz.

Nevill

Arcane
Arlin's upbringing is kind of more important to me personally than this kingdom, and if we have to make a bet to give him a chance, then why the fuck not?
Yeah. I kind of share the sentiment.

The other part wants to push the envelope as far as we can and, yes, this is a 'high risk, high reward' situation, for whatever reason.

The huge problem here is that, should we lose, we'll have to strip down to our undergarments and run away from the capital in all of our naked angelic glory.
Pitting Arlin against one of the best fighters in the Kingdom is a separate thing from our bet. By accentuating and putting importance on a specific reward (the boy's development), you have made it depend not on the risks we take, but on taking the challenge itself (which is an approach I highly approve of).

So why do you do the betting?

Kipeci

Arcane
A2A4.

If it works, we develop Arlin, Nostrils is embarrassed and we get a first date to fumble.

If it doesn't, we get to move up the timetable for the Angel Liberation Front by launching a naked orgy of destruction because everyone's seen our halo.

Either way, we win! And there's a chance we won't need to reload for the second outcome, even if small. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm not understanding the question.
I'm throwing him in the proverbial pit in an environment where he won't get his head chopped off and using a spell so that he will have a shot at winning this mock duel.
The bet is there as another reward for him, because the plan is to get him laid. As a bonus, imagine how much more humiliating it will be for Nostrils to get cucked by a teenager.

Nevill

Arcane
As a bonus, imagine how much more humiliating it will be for Nostrils to get cucked by a teenager.
I don't think we are much older than 20. Hell, we can be 19 for all we know. :)

The bet is there as another reward for him
If you have his interests in mind, as you seem to be saying, why do you have a secondary vote set for A2? How is us getting laid (ffs, it's one date - but let the people dream) would be a reward for him in any way? :M

Baltika9

Arcane
Mainly because it's in character for Erd to want that and I'm kind of swayed by this:
A2 for giving Wisteria something else to think about and A4 for a small chance for victory.
It may work, she seems like the type to be easily flustered. As a matter of fact, we can probably keep flirting with her throughout the fight to keep her mind off of the kid.

If it doesn't, we get to move up the timetable for the Angel Liberation Front by launching a naked orgy of destruction because everyone's seen our halo.
Of course, that's assuming that the kingdom that has successful captured and tamed an angel doesn't have a way to capture another one - perhaps a spell from the mages or the artifact that the archmage wears.

Nevill

Arcane
Of course, that's assuming that the kingdom that has successful captured and tamed an angel doesn't have a way to capture another one
Forget capture, we have Juilius and Athos sitting in the same room. They'd be rather happy to get rid of us altogether given a chance.

freaking codex. to have gotten this far in the cloak and dagger game only to be revealed by a bet.

well, at least you won't be able to cuck yourselves to Arlin if we lose - though I guess that's the old man cucking you then. masters of self-cuckery you all are.
:codexisfor:

Kipeci

Arcane
Of course, that's assuming that the kingdom that has successful captured and tamed an angel doesn't have a way to capture another one - perhaps a spell from the mages or the artifact that the archmage wears.

Gigadyne will solve everything, hit them while they're distracted by our nudity. :M

Elfberserker

Liturgist
BA4

If we are lucky then maybe the lady knight severely underestimates our pretty boy champion.
That being said I am not that confident that Arlin will win this round even IF modiefied battlefield premonition is succesful.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Arlin’s First Duel

As Arlin nervously prepares to head into battle, his hands slipping on the hilt of his wooden sword, you clap him on the shoulder and lean close to his ear. “Don’t worry,” you say. “I’ll help you out.”

“How… would you help me out?” he asks, trembling yet wary.

You quietly recite the spell. A new and improved Battle Premonition that would work on targets other than the caster. Or at least, that is the idea. You would have no idea how it works out until it actually does. Hopefully Arlin would be able to handle the effect when it kicks in. “You’ll be able to see through your opponent’s moves. Probably.” You whisper to Arlin, trying to prepare him for what is to come. “Just do your best, and see how far your sword skills can take you.”

Ahead of the boy, an impatient and rather flustered Wisteria stands in the center of the garden, her eyes steadily avoiding you no matter where you go. When you had made your proposal she had seemed rather stunned, and Nostrus himself let out a scandalized groan of disgust. He had agreed on her behalf, however, confident that his fiancée would win. Besides, it was only one date. What harm could that do? So saying, he convinced Wisteria to follow through, and she agreed reluctantly.

Arlin walks forward, stopping a few sword lengths away from the Knight-Captain. The females in the crowd let out collective little “Ooh” at his appearance; he does look rather fetching in his impromptu battle-dress and that flimsy wooden sword. Like a little kitten with its claws out, pretending to be a lion. You could understand his appeal to a certain type of woman – certainly you had exploited it yourself before, though never personally. Not successfully, at least.

Wisteria draws the sword and whips it in front of her, raising it upright in a crisp salute. Arlin bows and takes his stance. Beads of sweat run over his brow, and his eyes seem a little unfocused. As Nostrus calls the start of the match, he moves first.

Dashing across the cobblestones, his speed takes Wisteria by surprise. Her eyes widen, and you can see the grip on her sword tighten as she responds. Arlin’s first strike, a low-angled cut aimed at her knees, is quickly blocked as she lowers her weapon, knocking his attack aside. He recovers quickly, darting around behind her. Barely moving, Wisteria turns a little and blocks his second attack just in time, crossing her sword behind her back. She is not matching him in speed, but her defensive technique is impeccable, allowing her to be in position to guard against Arlin’s moves almost before he makes them. Arlin dances around her, making swift slashes in an attempt to find a gap in her defenses, while Wisteria patiently blocks his strikes, her face a mask of intense concentration. She does not seem to be underestimating the boy at all.

As Arlin hops backward, repelled again, Wisteria makes her move. With a sudden burst of speed, she lunges forward, the point of her blade an oaken blur. Arlin lets out a gasp of surprise, but he is already moving to the side even before she thrusts. He tumbles, rolls to his feet unsteadily, and gets back into position. The crowd applauds. Although he has not yet landed a single strike on her, they must be impressed that a young boy such as he is acquitting himself so admirably against a Knight-Captain of the kingdom.

A flicker of a smile passes across Wisteria’s face. “Very impressive reflexes,” she says. “I will try harder from now on.” Taking up a high stance, her sword high above her head in a two-handed grip, Wisteria places one foot forward.

Arlin’s mouth is set in a firm, thin slit, and he raises his sword again. His feet dig into the ground. His pale face is drained of blood. His breathing quickens. His muscles tense, as if preparing to pounce.

Then, he drops to the ground on all fours and vomits.

The audience is silent for a moment, and then erupts in laughter. Without saying a word, you walk over to Arlin, kneel down, and pat the coughing boy on the back. “Did you eat too much of the shellfish?” you ask loudly, for the benefit of the crowd. “That’s alright, I’m feeling a bit queasy too.” There are more laughs, though you successfully divert their attention back to you. Now they are making joking remarks about weak-stomached foreigners.

“I… I see too much… I’m dizzy…” Arlin mumbles disjointedly, clearly no longer in any condition to fight. It looks like he was too unused to the effects of the spell. Well, it might have been a little too intense to expect him to handle it immediately in a fight, let alone against a skilled opponent. Especially if he has had no experience in filtering out multiple predictions so that he is not overwhelmed by the premonitions. A full 2.5 seconds was quite likely too much for Arlin to handle.

Nostrus stands over you, gloating in his nasally voice. “Well well. That did not last long, did it? Did the tension get to your boy? He does not seem to be able to handle stressful situations well. Anyway, I win the bet.”

You keep quiet, thinking.

Mistaking your silence for fear, Nostrus continues, “Oh, but I am willing to give you another chance, Trider. I’m a fair man, no one can say I’m not! I mean, I wouldn’t want you running off, welching on the bet, pretending that it wasn’t a fair try, since your boy seems to be sick. After all, the party’s just started. A bit too early to end it, definitely not on such a sour note.” He wrinkles his nose at the acrid smell of Arlin’s regurgitated stomach contents.

“Well, Nostrils, it’s my fault for not noticing his condition in the first place,” you say blandly, telling a bold-faced lie. “I don’t think I can complain if you asked me to make good on it and strip. But what’s this chance of yours?”

“You are a magic-user,” he says.

You nod.

“You are not too shabby with a sword, by your own admission.”

You nod again.

“Well, why not entertain us with your prowess at both?”

Ah. You see what he is getting at. “Let me guess. Lord Elmont and your fiancée?”

“Smart man, smart man,” grins Nostrus, confident and gleeful. “Of course, if you want a date with Lord Elmont, that can be arranged… Of course, I fully understand if you are too frightened to embarrass yourself any further, Trider. You could just walk away, without carrying out the terms of the bet. That’s fine. Everyone here will think it’s fine.”

Nostrus clearly has no further interest in negotiating terms: this is his final offer, and you recognize it has been made in an attempt to humiliate you, personally, and not just through Arlin’s failure. And of course, if you do walk away now, that would be your reputation hanged and quartered, though you do wonder if you should care too much about your reputation with this lot at the moment. Of course, you could take the risk of playing around with two people at once – Wisteria, skilled as she is, is no Rin – or you could just strip and honor your word.

A. You grab Arlin and walk away, leaving the party. It means reneging on your bet and utterly making a fool out of yourself after your big words, but you do not want to get involved in this little farce any more than you already have. You will have to just swallow your pride and get on with it.

B. You’ll take on Elmont and Wisteria at the same time. No problem. It is not that you have anything to prove, but you do not feel like giving Count Nostrus “Nostrils” Algonquin the opportunity to gloat about putting one over you.

C. You’ll honor your word and strip. It is time to amaze them with your body; they will definitely be dumbstruck in awe at your magnificence. There is a slight tinge of regret that you did not practice your illusion magic, but there is nothing to be ashamed about your figure anyway, so it does not truly matter.

lightbane

Arcane
:abyssgazer:
Well, that was way faster than I expected. You really wanted to write this, right, treave? :lol:

Anyway, I guess it can't get wors-
“Smart man, smart man,” grins Nostrus, confident and gleeful. “Of course, if you want a date with Lord Elmont, that can be arranged… Of course, I fully understand if you are too frightened to embarrass yourself any further, Trider. You could just walk away, without carrying out the terms of the bet. That’s fine. Everyone here will think it’s fine.”

Even Mr Nostrils noticed it. It can't be hidden anymore. :negative:

Anyway, I believe any reasonable man would take this as a chance to leave rather than fuck up even further. But I am not a reasonable man.

I vote for:

B>C

(the latter only in the case Erd can somehow create an unholy union of the Doppelanger and Invisibility spells in order to create a seemingly human clone. If not, then we do so anyway because of the lulz factor)

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Doppleganger is an exact copy of us, right? Or can we modify it to look like a human and make it run around naked?

Otherwise, A. Flopped to B.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's an exact copy, wing and halo and all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom