Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Wow, they're about to hit 5 million in funding. On another note, I can't finish the crisis, when I click on an ability to use my mouse cursor disappears and I can't choose to cast it on anyone.

Also, this is the last alpha (I'm guessing there might be a C1), didn't they say the beta was going to come very soon after?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Wow, they're about to hit 5 million in funding. On another note, I can't finish the crisis, when I click on an ability to use my mouse cursor disappears and I can't choose to cast it on anyone.

Also, this is the last alpha (I'm guessing there might be a C1), didn't they say the beta was going to come very soon after?

In the end of the C0 i lost my mouse pointer, it changed to a vertical line, was still able to continue though. At the end it also states a beta can be expected in the "near future".

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I see that they updated A1->A2 and B0->B1. Any interesting changes there?

There was a mention in the c0 notes i missed initially:

Changes to B1 and A2
We have made changes to certain systems based on player feedback. AST B1 and A2 are updated versions of our earlier releases where you can see these changes in effect. Highlights include:

• Expanded and changed Fog of War
  • New Effort UI
  • Increased the speed on inspecting objects for the PC: PC no longer has to turn to face examinables for their descriptions to pop up

Gruncheon

Savant
Agh my god those character portraits. It's like looking at a CG render from a PS1 game. And the woman; she looks like a reject from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Portraits should have character, they should be more abstract.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
That Qorro guy has an avatar and everything, I wonder if he shows up later if you let him escape.

Agh my god those character portraits. It's like looking at a CG render from a PS1 game. And the woman; she looks like a reject from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Portraits should have character, they should be more abstract.
Yeah, they should be more like in that concept art.

V1sCRKkel.jpg

Cazzeris

I wonder if they decided to make the portraits feel almost 3D just because the original Torment had actual 3D models in them. That would be quite dumb, considering how obviously shitty they looked in PST and how decent the actual concept art for the game and some of WL2's portraits look.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I wonder if they decided to make the portraits feel almost 3D just because the original Torment had actual 3D models in them. That would be quite dumb, considering how obviously shitty they looked in PST and how decent the actual concept art for the game and some of WL2's portraits look.
Shitty art is shitty, doesn't need more justification than that.

Gruncheon

Savant

Yeah I think the obvious and simple way to make it better is to take it from the concept art and let our 'maginations do the rest. Say what you will about Pillars of Eternity, Durance's expression of cracked bemused intensity is easy to conjure up even after I've forgotten most everything about the game. That and repeating the exact same actions every combat. There are monks who know mantras less well than that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe Torment could use new portraits, but I think the original character concept art might clash with its art style.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Maybe Torment could use new portraits, but I think the original character concept art might clash with its art style.
I don't think it would, not any worse than WL2 for example. But it's a shame the in-game art doesn't look more like the concept art. I guess they decided to have it look banal like Numenera instead of going more their own way.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'd much rather have the weird moody/dark style from the original Torment art released back on the campaign days. Looked more PST-ish which let's be honest is what people want, numenera is just incidental.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't think those early 'concept art' mockups released during the Kickstarter campaign were pieces of actual concept art, but rather promotional art pieces meant to help pitch the game and get people excited.

Which they did. Although I suspect having people complain that the game doesn't look like those pictures several years later wasn't part of the plan.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as actual in-game areas go, there was a greater focus on the Bloom during the Kickstarter campaign and the game's early development, but then they shifted gears towards the more colorful Sagus Cliffs.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, the concept art looking better than the in-game portraits is actually a Torment tradition. For reference:

latest
latest

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
As far as actual in-game areas go, there was a greater focus on the Bloom during the Kickstarter campaign and the game's early development, but then they shifted gears towards the more colorful Sagus Cliffs.
Sure bro but the sagus cliffs concept art also didn't have such a JRPG look. It was only when they showed the in-game render that it looked kinda meh but I imagined it was because it lacked the final touches.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
It would still lack final touches, as it currently is it seems that it's just a direct render being displayed as a 2d background, no paintovers.

Also, I've noticed the site has changed to mention only the Beta Test is coming in 2015, I'm predicting same release range as Pillars of Eternity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It would still lack final touches, as it currently is it seems that it's just a direct render being displayed as a 2d background, no paintovers.

Also, I've noticed the site has changed to mention only the Beta Test is coming in 2015, I'm predicting same release range as Pillars of Eternity.

If by "same release range" you mean it'll come out in March then that's optimistic, because PoE's beta came out in August of 2014 - 6 months in beta.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I don't get it, are you trying to start an argument about PoE? Both games were in beta for six months, so for now, it seems likely that this one will be as well.

Last edited:

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After a certain number of turns even if you defeat Quorro, but do not activate his device to enable energy bridges, you teleport to some room with cloaked dudes. And their leader says something like "Let the feast begin!" and the episode ends there.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
No more than Wasteland 2's (also six months in beta)

The very first PE beta (v257) was more broken than Wasteland 2's first beta because of the selection and command bugs. It was ok from v278 onwards though.

One thing I don't really like about inXile's alphas/betas for WL2 and Torment is that the games run like a pile of dogshit which just makes me not want to play them. Wouldn't be surprised if this isn't fixed in Torment until very late in the beta.

WL2 runs good now but for 95% of the beta it was nails on a chalkboard to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom