Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
As expected, maturity and story comments are based entirely on "why isn't this game holding my hand throughout and catering to my world views?" I saw coming from RPS. Modding tools coming out late is sadly a legit point to raise, though.

And the boss fights, and the lack of monsters. These irked me too.

Stompa

Arcane
Some RPS faggot said:
On top of that, it’s hard to think of a sequel that seemed so willing to learn lessons instead of doubling down. No longer demanding things like buying books before hunting monsters. Making alchemy a higher-skill level thing to worry about so that the game wouldn’t constantly stop to search for flowers. Nowhere near as much backtracking. Far more attention given to the characters and the flow of the story. An opening chapter that kicked everything off with a bang, rather than the original game’s two or three chapters of pure tedium before the actual game starts.

So assrape of alchemy in W2 is now "a higher-skill level thing to worry about", buying books is teh hard and TWitcher's Act 1 is apparently worse than Hitler. Why do people still read RPS?

Ezrite

Learned
After raging at the combat, wishing I had played Dark Souls I lowered it to easy and managed to finish the game in 30 hours. I am not disappointed.

It is smaller than both Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim who got released the same year, but I care more for the character even if every single one is an asshole in one way or another. To someone atleast. And Skyrim won RPG of the year...

pippin

And Skyrim won RPG of the year...

Not here, son.

The RPGCodex User Vote of Top 5 cRPG's of the year 2011 is:

1. The Witcher 2
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Skyrim
4. Drakensang: River of Time [Which we actually covered in 2010]
5. Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8286

Still at no. 3, though.

Fun fact: while searching for Codex's 2011 GotY list, I stumbled upon some spanish sities describing the Codex as prestigioso. :obviously:

Ezrite

Learned
And Skyrim won RPG of the year...

Not here, son.

The RPGCodex User Vote of Top 5 cRPG's of the year 2011 is:

1. The Witcher 2
2. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Skyrim
4. Drakensang: River of Time [Which we actually covered in 2010]
5. Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8286

Still at no. 3, though.

Fun fact: while searching for Codex's 2011 GotY list, I stumbled upon some spanish sities describing the Codex as prestigioso. :obviously:

Well...atleast it is not on the list and that odd Dragon Age 2 game is nowhere to be seen. But 2011 must been a shit year for Skyrim on third place.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Well...atleast it is not on the list and that odd Dragon Age 2 game is nowhere to be seen. But 2011 must been a shit year for Skyrim on third place.

Well yeah, pretty much every year between 2003 and 2013 was complete shit as far as quality RPGs go.

Ezrite

Learned

Well yeah, pretty much every year between 2003 and 2013 was complete shit as far as quality RPGs go.

Well. Skyrim was barely an RPG. Streamlined mainstream shit exploration, open world action oriented meh RPG.

hiver

2) It improved everything about the first game
It was a confident game in a way that few others without major backing can dare to be, from its high system requirements that harkened back to Origin in being based around what the game needed rather than what the majority of the players were going to have, to a powerful start that set both the mood and expectations with a very tight series of vignettes ranging from dragon attacks to non-glorified torture.

On top of that, it’s hard to think of a sequel that seemed so willing to learn lessons instead of doubling down. No longer demanding things like buying books before hunting monsters. Making alchemy a higher-skill level thing to worry about so that the game wouldn’t constantly stop to search for flowers. Nowhere near as much backtracking. Far more attention given to the characters and the flow of the story. An opening chapter that kicked everything off with a bang, rather than the original game’s two or three chapters of pure tedium before the actual game starts.

cobbet is a mass market imbecile and that article is a complete empty drivel that in 90% of its content has nothing to do with the game but rather ... some nice delusional drivel he thinks should be written about games because that like raises the quality of games in general, when someone writes like that about them games, see?

:retarded:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Finally got around to buying a decent graphics card, I'll finally be able to play this thing!:O I wonder if I'll dig it as much as I probably would have before the Kickstarter incline.:S

Starwars

Arcane
:necro:

Moved on to this after finishing my Witcher 1 replay. I've played through Witcher 2 once I believe (think I've started replaying it but stopped playing at some point).

First things that stand out after playing Witcher 1 are A) Geralt controls fucking horribly in this game and B) the game is really frontloaded with its gimmicks (QTE, stealth games). There's also a lot of dialogue cutscenes. Thankfully, it does at least flow a lot better than the first game's writing.

It looks really good still, but they really lost something in the atmosphere from the first game (especially the music).

We'll see how this playthrough goes. Kinda looking forward to allying with Iorveth this time (went against him when I played through the game).

EDIT: Also, actually had to turn down one of the graphical options (the one specifically warning people that it's for high-end computers). And this computer runs Witcher 3 flawlessly if I turn off the hair shit. Lulz.

Cadmus

Arcane
Again with the complaints about the controls.
If you guys can play Ultima Akalabeth then I don't understand what's so bad about having to get used to a weird controls scheme. It takes like an hour. I should replay it one day as well just to see if it still looks so amazing but I think I played it 2,5 times and still never sided with that ugly elven asshole.

Starwars

Arcane
I dunno, I don't have a lot of trouble with the control scheme. And I think combat controls fairly well actually. It's just that Geralt... feels like he moves real clunky-like when you're just running around exploring.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If you guys can play Ultima Akalabeth then I don't understand what's so bad about having to get used to a weird controls scheme. It takes like an hour. I should replay it one day as well just to see if it still looks so amazing but I think I played it 2,5 times and still never sided with that ugly elven asshole.

Naturally the guy who defends weird control schemes is using an avatar from Gothic 1. :salute:

Neanderthal

Arcane
To me it were clear that W2 were designed for controllers rather than mouse and keyboard like first game, I thought fuck knows why they did this, until port over to Xbox was announced and it became obvious. Then again I got used to it, but it was not as good as Severance or Rune, just didn't feel right.

I see RPS are still dumbfucks, nice to see some things don't change.

norolim

Arcane
I thought the controls were bad too. Not because they were weird, but because they were extremely unresponsive and inconsistent at that. There were fights where I'd press the attack button 5 times without any result. And those situations were completely random. You can't really get used to that.

Starwars

Arcane
Doing the Vergen side of things now. Vergen is a pretty cool place. Has the best music tracks in the game to boot.

Whoever the fuck thought the harpy bullshit was a good idea should be banned from making games forever.

Old Hans

Arcane
I just finished my recent play through, and boy does the siege of vergen suck. It's up there with the Skyrim "big battles" For some reason the English voice overs get REALLY bad during this part.

Revenant

Does this mean the game gets even worse after arriving to the army camp in the beginning of chapter 2? :( Picked this up at a discount on Steamu in case I'd ever want to play twitch3r as this series is story-driven so skipping an iteration probably isn't a good idea. So far have been kinda struggling to play, because almost everything about this game sucks. Controls are terrible, presentation is arguably more cinematic than ME series, and even the appraised writing is just an amalgamation of all possible tropes from all genres - from oppression of minorities to childbirth in a skirmish. The only good things about this game are depiction of medieval clothing and the atmosphere of the forest outside Flotsam, which is now sadly gone and replaced by a generic fantasy soldier shithole. Motivate me to finish this turd

Ninjerk

Arcane
Does this mean the game gets even worse after arriving to the army camp in the beginning of chapter 2? :( Picked this up at a discount on Steamu in case I'd ever want to play twitch3r as this series is story-driven so skipping an iteration probably isn't a good idea. So far have been kinda struggling to play, because almost everything about this game sucks. Controls are terrible, presentation is arguably more cinematic than ME series, and even the appraised writing is just an amalgamation of all possible tropes from all genres - from oppression of minorities to childbirth in a skirmish. The only good things about this game are depiction of medieval clothing and the atmosphere of the forest outside Flotsam, which is now sadly gone and replaced by a generic fantasy soldier shithole. Motivate me to finish this turd
I'm still in the army camp after buying the game several years ago. Start it up every now and then, see a couple things I like and a whole bunch of shit that I don't, and it goes back on the shelf.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Why would you want to finish if you think its a turd? Youve got nothing else to spend your time on chump?

Revenant

As I said, I want to be able to play the third installment if it ever comes to Linux.

Starwars

Arcane
I finished this game a while back and it's the worst game in the series. Though, personally I found the character and politics quite interesting and I enjoyed the way the story unfolds along with your choices.

But, that's basically it. The gameplay is shitty and the areas are just... not very exciting. It's the type of game where I'm constantly thinking "I can't wait until I'm finished with this part", especially after Floatsam. The third act is still crappy, even in it's Enhanced form.
And if you're still in the solder's camp, chances are you still haven't gotten to the worst part of it. A setpiece of extreme shittiness. Completely awful.

If you don't like the story and writing, there's nothing more for you in the game. Read up on what happens before you play the Witcher 3 instead.

the_shadow

Arcane
Does this mean the game gets even worse after arriving to the army camp in the beginning of chapter 2? :(

Well, the style of gameplay (ie. running from cutscene to cutscene, interspersed with a bit of fighting) doesn't change. Take that how you will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom