Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So, do we know at this point, how much LESS shitty the story is supposed to be in the Enhanced Edition?

Seeing as the story was pretty fucking terrible in the vanilla version, I'd expect some great reworks for the EE.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
We really don't. It's not like they can and have said something like "now with 30% less shit!". The new writers have rewritten it as far as I know, but considering how awful it was in vanilla I don't know if they can fuck it up even more. I'm hoping it to be in the post code of "not slitting my wrists".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Regarding the pre-order DLC:

Creator Larian Studios LLC about 2 hours ago

@GamerGuildRoss - At the moment the Last Trick bag is a pre-order incentive for console versions only. It's a required thing to get certain levels of visibility in the console distribution world. There's no plans to put it on PC right now, but if there's really a demand, we could probably look into it over time. It's not on the top of our priority list right now though. [Char]

I guess retailers want that kind of thing to make themselves relevant.

Yep, it's retailer exclusive DLC: http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/divinity-original-sin-enhanced-edition/123483

Doktor Best

Arcane
What the hell are you guys bitching about? We get an improved version of the game, completely for free, on the same fucking day.

So whats your problem? Sven not appearing on your doorstep personally to invite you to play D:OS EE while providing hookers and cocaine?

Cnaiur

Augur
I'll be playing the EE with a controller. This was a hard thing to confess, please don't delete my account.

Cnaiur

Augur
But Swen and his lads look so comfortable with their plastic toys in their hands. How can I not embrace the New Ways after drinking up their recent oh-so-moist PR?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I'm level 5 now and this is my first play-through. The combat is okay, though there is a lot of reloading. The story is okay I guess. Not much C&C as far as I can tell. A little on the boring side, honestly.

The main parts I don't like are the environmental graphics and exploration. The game's graphics are hard to look at for some reason. I get eyestrain or brainstrain. Maybe it's the bright colors and thick lines, like a cartoon. I have a hard time telling what I am looking at a lot of the time.

I don't like the exploration because you're "painting the map" like 90% of other RPGs with rectangular maps out there and I'm getting sick and tired of it. Fallout hid its rectangularity by blocking camera movement when you got too near the edge of town. Arcanum and PtD had seamless world maps (though it made little difference in Arcanum). JA2 had rectangular maps. But each map was a set piece that needed to be approached carefully and tactically. Most maps had a lot of empty space around the edges for you to maneuver in too.

I really dislike the UI. When rotating the camera, the cursor also moves at the same time. So you end up bumping the edge of the screen and panning instead of rotating. When casting a spell or ability I sometimes forget and try to click a button on the screen. (For instance a button for a different spell or ability.) The game doesn't register this as a button click however. Instead, the spell/ability is cast below the button, usually not somewhere intended and thereby wasting the spell. Next, sometimes the enemy character animations make it hard to click on enemies. They move and gyrate, and sometimes you "miss" the target and end up clicking the ground instead of the character, thereby wasting your turn.

Lastly, the high camera angle is frustrating for me. I keep wanting to look around at the scenery but the game won't let me. Again, I often have a hard time telling what I'm looking at because everything just sort of blends into itself.

If this game doesn't improve drastically in the coming chapters, I can't give it more than a :3/5:. Except for the horribad combat, I would rate PoE higher than this.

:rpgcodex:

I am also giving this game a thorough rodgering for the first time - sigh.

Deep down, part of me might accept I am only going through the motions because I want to say I PLAYED D:OS, I can't seem to find a hook or ONE MORE GO thing many other games have.

Recently I am even giving M&M 3 Isle of Terra deep looks as that could be better - I think it may be.

I have a party of three - around level 15. Just got into Luculla Mines.

Is there any point going on?

Combat - I think Blackguards was better. There is potential there regards the different elements, summons, teleportation and all that jazz. Scrolls and potions saved my life a few times. But something isn't right.

The loot/ items/ crafting - potential but too fiddly -
Levelling/ skills - I liked that part as there was lots of choice.
Recipes - I like the idea of being vague - but come on guys
Rock Paper Scissors thing - I liked it

This thing about going around just opening EVERY CONTAINER IN THE WORLD - c'mon - it is 2015. We laughed about that in Bioshock Infinite for goodness sake.

Story - there is a story. A murder who dunnit? The two sisters and this other plane of existence and the weaver - some potential.

There is something missing from this game - I can't put my finger on what though....

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is something missing from this game - I can't put my finger on what though....

Challenge mostly. Everything else needs just a little bit more push, polish and thought put into it to make the game great. The writing is unsalvageable though, and that's why they rewrote the entire thing. I'm hopeful for the EE.

whatevername

Arcane
This thing about going around just opening EVERY CONTAINER IN THE WORLD - c'mon - it is 2015. We laughed about that in Bioshock Infinite for goodness sake.
Do you want lvl 15 swords of GODMODE to pop out of containers on their own as your lvl 2 char approaches those containers?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Do you want lvl 15 swords of GODMODE to pop out of containers on their own as your lvl 2 char approaches those containers?

Nope. But I would like containers such as barrels to only exist in places where they logically should exist - such as warehouses.

I would like containers such as people to contain at least the clothes they are wearing - for logical reasons to say the least. Or weapons they used in the battle against you 5 seconds earlier. For logical reasons again.

Or rather I would like to ditch this whole RPG must have containers and loot thing - has anyone ever calculated how much time do we actually spend opening containers and thinking about what to do if anything with the contents?

The 20 different ways we had to open containers in WL2 got me thinking about this - it isn't right - we deserve better.

Eventually in D:OS - I stopped opening them altogether. Hmmm - maybe in retrospect D:OS got that right then.

whatevername

Arcane
If there were no containers and an npc had a lvl 15 sword with +1 to GODMODE, you wouldn't be able to kill that npc at lvl 2.
Unless, of course
you're playing as a mage with 3 points in sneak and just butcher that lvl 15 npc... but then a sword with +1 to GODMODE would be useless to you unless you want to switch to multispec battlemage with AOE man-at-arms skills

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN - ENHANCED EDITION REVEALS ITS COMBAT TRAILER

Larian Studios' multi-award winning RPG is nearing release on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Having revealed the online and offline cooperative features with its Co-op Trailer, today's Combat Trailer introduces a new generation to the combat of Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition. Discover how turn-based combat performs effortlessly on gamepads thanks to the intuitive control system and UI designed for consoles.

The combat in Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition, is both torturously tactical, or bright and breezy! It just depends on your play-style and the level of difficulty you picked. The Enhanced Edition comes with three new difficulty modes: Honor, Tactician, and Explorer, each offering a new, tailor-made experience honing on different play-styles.

Take advantage of crowd control spells such as petrify, charm, and freeze - required in the harder difficulty settings, or simply ignite, enflame, poison, and electrify your way through the world - zapping water under-foot to shock, or engulfing the enemy in flames by igniting a near-by oil barrel.

It's all about using the skills at your party's disposal to supplement each of their player-defined roles. Although featuring 12 classes (including a new class, the Inquisitor), Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition is really classless. You can mix and match as you develop your characters, chaining abilities and taking advantage of environmental aspects such as water, ice, oil on the floor, and steam clouds, things like that.

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition launches on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on October 27.
Discover the pre-order offers

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom