Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

Ulrox

Arbiter
Here's one of the rare positive reviews:

That's the third sponsored youtube video on heroes 7 I've seen now. All of them positive. oddly enough if you get money to play a game, it might sway your perspective slightly.

Ubisoft doesn't need game developers anymore, they just need marketers.

Edit: Also I just noticed on steam that heroes 6 is selling better than age of wonders 3.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
My beta impressions were not that bad, but it seems stuff I hoped to be improved was actually final. WTF, Ubisoft.

I got so disgusted with this that I actually went and bought a physical copy of Age of Wonders 3 (it was cheaper than buying a steam key online) just to make a point. It does not scratch the same itch, though, though, seems more like HoMM/Civ hybrid (nothing wrong with that, obviously).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
HoMM 7 reaches another important milestone:

4z5Xmgu.png

It now has the second lowest user score of any Ubisoft game on Steam, only beating the microtransaction-riddled Settlers Online.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You would've gotten more out of your money if you simply burned it and posted it on youtube instead of buying AOW3 lol.

Yeah AoW3 is not exactly inspired either but at least compared to Homam7 it's obvious they tried. Game's pretty, polished and has gotten very solid afterlaunch support.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Actually right now AoW3 is just plain good. Shitty graphics of course, and magic is kinda disappointing, but apart from that a very solid game.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
AI is just standard fare, it can put up some fight on higher difficulty levels. The other two things are still present, so if that's a deal breaker for you then sorry.

Lagi

Savant
AOW 3 is a solid game,... but deal breaker for me is dying off units from squad, that are only animation to visualise losing HP. It doesnt affect units strenght (decreasing dmg deal or anything) - so multiple infantry squad feels similar to single monster.
I know its same in AOW 1,2 but IMO it's wasted opportunity for more sophisticated system than focus attacks at one enemy, then bite next one.

JustMyOnion

Educated
  • "Uh-oh, I remember from HoMM3 it is bad to have guys behind you." (It didn't have any such mechanics.)
Well, nice to learn that after 13 years of attacking everything from behind and wasting time on those turn animations.

Last edited:

Ulrox

Arbiter
CyIfyFD.png

Not bad, not bad.
well.... considering the amount ubisoft has spent on marketing, it seems unlikely to me that they'll break even on this game. Had steam refunds not existed, they likely would have though.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Here's some feedback on the AI:

Looking only at the campaigns (and at Normal difficulty -- which probably doesn't effect the AI itself, just the resources avaialble), the strategic AI seems to be very conerservative in comparison to previous installements -- turtling is a valid strategy in most campaign scenarios, for example. Specific issues include:
  • Hero army growth is far less than you would expect -- even when the enemies have 3 cities (to your one), you seem to be able to outgrow the enemy heroes.
    • This may be because the AI sets a target for army size -- when that's reached, it sends it off to "adventure". Once you are able to beat that army with negligable casualties, attacks cease
  • AI doesn't seem to build up their cities very agressively, which may be a partial reason for the previous problem.
  • AI is bad about collecting loose resources -- it isn't unusual to see unclaimed, unprotected, resources as late as the end of M 2 in enemy held terratory.
  • AI is very conservative about evaluating the outcome of fights -- this may be beause the tactical AI is... Bad.
Overall, I would say the strategic AI is passable, but not award wining -- given the scripted advantages in the campaigns, it achieves its goal of making you work for success.

The tactical AI, on the other hand, is awful by any defination:
  • The AI never uses the wait command. You can, for example, always wait on your first turn to allow enemy melee to close the range so that you don't take the half damage penalty on your first shots at them.
  • The AI never uses the flee combat command. Arguably, this is an improvement, as the AI fleeing is always very annoying... :)
  • In castle defense situations, the AI is *very* aggressive about leaving the castle walls.
    • Level 3 fortifications are far, far tougher than they have been in Heroes for awhile -- unless you have the skill that boosts siege weapons, it is a safe bet that you won't be able to get through the walls for 4-5 turns, perhaps much longer.
  • The AI handles melee units adjacent to shooters *very* poorly -- 9 times out of 10, the shooters just defend. Tthey /should/ move away from the attacker, with a minimal goal of ensuring one melee attacker can't be adjacent to more than one shooter at a time.
  • The AI doesn't have logic for "I'm going to lose this combat, might as well do as much damage as I can before I die" -- casting spells like stone skin on its last unit, rather than direct damage (if nothing else, the default hero attack) instead.
  • The AI targeting priority is broken -- if the enemy has 1 stack of 500 skeletons on the far side of the board, and has summoned 4 water elementals adjacent to two stacks of shooters, the AI /always/ targets the elementals.
    • Oddly enough, this "blind spot" is limited to the first, least powerful, unit (skeletons for Necro, Fairies for Sylvian, etc.) -- if you have a stack of 500 skeletons, 300 ghosts, and 4 water elementals, the AI will (more correctly) target the ghosts.
  • The AI simply refuses to admit that the fire wall spell exists at all. Place it on several stacks of shooters for guranteed damage for the next three turns, place it on the map where you expect enemy units to move to (e.g. "max move towards enemy units") and they will reliably walk / fly / teleport into it.
Basically, the tactical AI is only a threat when it has an overwhelming force advantage to begin with (and, to its credit, the strategic AI only attacks when this condition is met -- if the AI attacks you, expect to take /heavy/ casulties). In the campaign, this is acceptable -- but in a skirmish map...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/321960/discussions/0/490121928356092029/#c490121928358212093

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
There is god after all. These talentless hacks deserve no better. Please sell the franchise to 1C already, you cunts.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
AI is bad about collecting loose resources -- it isn't unusual to see unclaimed, unprotected, resources as late as the end of M 2 in enemy held terratory.
This never happened, at least.

And yes, the AI in H3 was very decent. It provided a challenge.

Though it is true, H2 had some quirks of its own, like where it prioritized defending cities and split their DOOM stack of 50 Dragons into 25 then 12 then 6 then 3 untill you just roll over them all.

The tactical combat in H2 and H3 seems not to have many of the issues listed above, either.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Let's not over-exaggerate.
More competent than AI in HoMM4 and HoMM5, that's for sure.

It's easy to dismiss it now that the game is played for 15 years and the deficiencies of AI are well-known. I remember it totally smoking me back in 1999 when SoD expansion went live. 'Dat Crag Hack campaign.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'm playing VI now and the AI is nothing special. It's always the same - wait for the enemy to move first, commence raep.
While the AI in IV wasn't good, it managed to play pretty well in sieges while defending, always occupying the towers if it was to its advantage, not rushing out like retard if it was a bad strategy. If you poisoned them behind the wall, they'd finally start attacking instead of waiting and sniping you. It was nice.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, it was OK in IV. Not "absolutely retarded" by any means.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom