Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

baturinsky

Arcane
Flanking adds so much wasted time watching move animations. Without attacks of opportunity, movement is just gratuitous anyway.
At least you can speed up animations in options.

Speaking of animations, close-ups of attacks by pure random chance, instead of, say, on critical strikes or when stack is finished off, is also a weird decision. Fortunately, it too can be switched off.

ClaviculaZ

Novice
I wonder where the Heroes 3 comparisons come from. To me, most of the game looks like 6, feels like 6 and has similar mechanics as 6. Of course, that in itself is enough of a disaster, yet somehow they managed to achieve a far worse performance while not improving graphics in any way. Future expansions could improve the game a lot, but I guess it will meet a similar fate as 6: Not enough initial sales -> one half-hearted and crappy expansion introducing new bugs -> Ubisoft promising patches and new content -> nothing ever happens and the game dies -> four years later Heroes 8 gets released, being a low budget-mixture of 6 and 7, designed to cash in on those people who religiously buy every HOMM title.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I wonder where the Heroes 3 comparisons come from. To me, most of the game looks like 6, feels like 6 and has similar mechanics as 6.

From what I've seen - as I'm certainly not gonna play it - it's bad precisely because they tried to be super conservative and got rid of all the innovations of Homam6, some of which were actually interesting.

They just didn't realize the Homam3 fandom isn't really interested in new installments and youngfags - or oldfags who simply got tired of H3 after playing it constantly for the last 15 years - would maybe like to see some new ideas. Trying to cater to the the former group is totally pointless and catering to the latter would require some ballzy desing decisions.

These Heroes are the worst thing that could happen to the franchize. It's ugly, budget, stale as fuck and completely uninteresting to play for basically everybody. Disappointing coming from Limbic, they did a very solid job on MMX.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
From what I've seen - as I'm certainly not gonna play it - it's bad precisely because they tried to be super conservative and got rid of all the innovations of Homam6, some of which were actually interesting.

They just didn't realize the Homam3 fandom isn't really interested in new installments and youngfags - or oldfags who simply got tired of H3 after playing it constantly for the last 15 years - would maybe like to see some new ideas. Trying to cater to the the former group is totally pointless and catering to the latter would require some ballzy desing decisions.
bullshit. HoMM5 was a good game precisely because it built upon H3 mechanics (adding some good innovations like skill wheel and initiative) and not trying to reinvent the wheel. I would be playing it much more if the engine wasn't so goddamn slow.
The fourth part had some potential, but it needed a year more development time or so. The sixth was an abomination - ruleswise it was so shit words can't describe. I haven't and won't play the newest installment so I cannot say for sure why it failed.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron

This is not rocket science. A direct sequel to a game- any game- shouldn't reinvent the wheel or stray away from an established formula. It should take the existing mechanics, add more features, depth and make it shinier. That's it. HoMM3 is far from a perfect game, it had acres of room to grow. There was absolutely no reason to abandon it and start shitting out spin-offs and a pseudo-sequels, as was case with HoMM4 and HoMM5+, respectively.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
bullshit. HoMM5 was a good game precisely because it built upon H3 mechanics (adding some good innovations like skill wheel and initiative) and not trying to reinvent the wheel.

After seven iterations I would say the wheel is in dire fucking need of reinventing.

And while H5 was solid gameplay wise the Ruskis completely ditched the trademark charming, fairytaley aesthetics of the series and replaced it with vomit-inducing cheap Blizzard knock off and it's hard to enjoy a game amidst constant retching.

Archibald

Arcane
After seven iterations I would say the wheel is in dire fucking need of reinventing.

And while H5 was solid gameplay wise the Ruskis completely ditched the trademark charming, fairytaley aesthetics of the series and replaced it with vomit-inducing cheap Blizzard knock off and it's hard to enjoy a game amidst constant retching.

I doubt that art direction was up to Nival, Ubi probably wanted something that at the time looked easily marketable.

Ulrox

Arbiter
I've noticed two sponsored video's on youtube channels that I follow for heroes 7. I'm guessing this is part of ubi's strategy - release crap games, sell them because of crazy marketing. The insane thing for me is how do ubisoft hope to survive if the rest of the world hates them for ripping them off? Ea took a powerful blow due to their vicious strategies and seem to have tried to reform their image by not being as evil as they used to. Sad state of affairs.

pippin

I doubt that art direction was up to Nival, Ubi probably wanted something that at the time looked easily marketable.

The art was made by Olivier Ledroit, a comic book artist known for the Blackmoon Chronicles.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
four years later Heroes 8 gets released, being a low budget-mixture of 6 and 7, designed to cash in on those people who religiously buy every HOMM title.

Wouldn't bet money on that happening. The HoMM8 being made, that is; not it being a low-budget trap.
If Bubbles' Gamescom report is anything to go by, if this one doesn't sell well (and seeing all the bad reviews, that could (should?) very well be the case) it might be the end of the series.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Wouldn't bet money on that happening. The HoMM8 being made, that is; not it being a low-budget trap.
If Bubbles' Gamescom report is anything to go by, if this one doesn't sell well (and seeing all the bad reviews, that could (should?) very well be the case) it might be the end of the series.
Try the franchise.

And it might be high time for it.

Cadmus

Arcane
fuck Boogie

I gave Homam 6 a shot and tried the Necro campaign. I could fill the whole page with complaints about the game but there's some interesting stuff and while generally the art direction is horrible, some of the new universe units look pretty good, like the various light elemental style units.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Here's one of the rare positive reviews:

• Sponsored video.
  • (About HoMM) "It was my first introduction to turn-based real-time strategy." (Tautology and an utter contradiction in once sentence. Awsum!)
  • "I'm a huge fan of the series." Moment later: "I haven't played a heroes game since (HoMM) 3."
  • "Yeeaaaahh!! This is much better graphics than HoMM3." (Release date june '99)
  • First attack: Sun deer kills 17 creatures. -> "Nobody died."
  • "Uh-oh, I remember from HoMM3 it is bad to have guys behind you." (It didn't have any such mechanics.)
  • "This is terrible, I am not good in video games." (For once, I agree.)
  • "How are you doing this? How do you keep attacking me?!" (Maybe check abilities? Might be useful in a game whose combat is built on it.)
  • After being slaughtered. "Okay, first thing is now I realise we have spells, so that seems really useful." (Big fan of the series! I also really missed having spells in previous HoMM games.)
  • Proceeds taking an AoE spell and killing one of his own most powerful creatures. "Wow, that was good!"
  • The guy actually fucking sings. Badly.
  • "You know what I've learned today is that I don't remember anything from playing Might and Magic." (Huge fan of the series! Please sponsor more. Click the link!!!)
  • SKIPS the story/conversation at the start of his first game.
  • "Now this is the Heroes of Might and Magic that I remember!" and then rushes off to combat without even visiting his town.
  • Battle setup, takes archer away from rear and puts it in the frontline.
  • "Even I can learn this game." (No comment.)
  • And then after 2 short fights and less than 3 seconds on the actual game, without even looking at heroes, abilities, towns, etc. "Very similar to HoMM3 in the way that I remember it." (You said you didn't remember it, remember that?) "Awesome, very deep and advanced gameplay!" (Which you didn't play.)
  • Because balanced reviews are important, bad point about this PC game: You need a gaming PC.
  • "For people who like turn-based real-time strategy."
  • "Please click the link. Click the link! I need sponsorships, it's good for me. Click the link. Support me. Click the link!"
:negative:

SRSLY?
You're such a troll.

Last edited:

Grinolf

Arcane
  • "I'm a huge fan of the series." Moment later: "I haven't played a heroes game since (HoMM) 3."

There is/was RPG series, that initially was considered as main part of the franchise. Heroes started as just spin off. He spoke about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom