Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroes of Might & Magic 7

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yep, Roxor should do one. I would read 7 times.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
From how much he talked about PoE, he must love that game so much he'll probably be too busy playing The White March expansion to spend any time on another game.
Too bad. I kinda liked that 'tough love' approach his review had going for it.

Zeriel

Arcane
Confirmed, even this shameless Might & Magic fanboy hates the shit out of this one. It's actually worse than 6. The shovelware is real. Skip.

Zeriel

Arcane
I find this hard to believe.

On a professional level of production, it absolutely is. It has amateur-hour written all over it. Some design decisions are better, but overall it is a bad, bad game.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Too bad, more than likely this will be the death of a once very good game... Unless that's just nostalgia talking.
I've got V and VI standing on my shelf but between the two of 'em I probably spent less than 20 hours of play.
Did either of them get 'fixed' since release?

Zeriel

Arcane
Not really. Some people swear by 5's mechanics, but even with the AI mods to shorten turn waits, I still maintain 5 is too technically flawed to recommend playing it over replaying 3 for the 1,000th time. And 6 is 5 divorced of every merit. If a Heroes oldfag was looking for a newer experience the only game I'd feel comfortable promoting would be King's Bounty, even though it has a radically different playstyle in some ways it comes closest to the "feel" of the old games.

baturinsky

Arcane
Played half a mission. Love that stack death affects morale, as it would discourage having cheesy one-unit stacks. Hate rear attack bonus.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Too bad, more than likely this will be the death of a once very good game...

It's an IP people cling to for nostalgia sake or because they don't know any better. Reality is Homam lost its throne a long time ago and many of its children - Disciples II, King's Bounty, Eador, Legend of Eisenwald and maybe a few others - are simply superior in every respect, even to Homam3, the height of the series.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Too bad, more than likely this will be the death of a once very good game... Unless that's just nostalgia talking.
I've got V and VI standing on my shelf but between the two of 'em I probably spent less than 20 hours of play.
I am one of the people who swear by 5's mechanics. With the final expack that adds dual upgrades, its a very good game.

Even if the AI turns are pretty slow.

Archibald

Arcane
It's an IP people cling to for nostalgia sake or because they don't know any better. Reality is Homam lost its throne a long time ago and many of its children - Disciples II, King's Bounty, Eador, Legend of Eisenwald and maybe a few others - are simply superior in every respect, even to Homam3, the height of the series.

These games are not similar to homm at all regardless of their quality.

Ulrox

Arbiter
I saw this heroes 7's release yesterday, considered that it was published by ubisoft and thought :"the probability of this being shovelware considering ubisofts actions lately is pretty high, gotta check steam reviews and codex to see if it is worth anything before buying". Checked steam reviews, 45% positive, checked codex, tons of negativity, heroes 7 shovelware confirmed, back to playing some more age of wonders 3.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
The game isn't even in the top sellers. After 1 day. Is it even gonna be profitable?

On a professional level of production, it absolutely is. It has amateur-hour written all over it. Some design decisions are better, but overall it is a bad, bad game.

Completely agree. It really is worse than heroes 6. The decline is real, and it's man made.

baturinsky

Arcane
King's Bounty (both new and old) main problem is that it practically encourages you to always fight with same army and same tactics.

Aothan

Magister
with very specific units and tactics that holds true, playing the game as it was generally designed is always going to involve unit difference in any encounter that is "challenging" or above

...always include Gryphons and Royal Gryphons ? Yes

Ulrox

Arbiter
The game isn't even in the top sellers. After 1 day. Is it even gonna be profitable?.

I sure as hell hope not... The only reason Ubisoft has done what they've done is because fanboys have rewarded this kind of behavior with money, and the only way to make them stop is to stop rewarding shovelware, and only reward actual good games with money. So I'm glad that it's not in the top 10 anymore - and I hope it doesn't turn out to actually be profitable for them... Steam refunds goes a long way in helping with this issue.

MilesBeyond

Cipher

V got fixed in the same sense Civ V got fixed - expansions and mods took it from the steaming pile of shit it was on release to a playable game, but do not bring it to the level of previous games in the series. As has been said, this is in large part due to AI issues. Turns in HoMM 5 take so damn long and the AI is even dumber than in previous Heroes games (though I'd say it's still probably better than the AI in IV). My friends and siblings all enjoy playing Heroes but even the ones that prefer 5 would still rather play 3 when we do it MP just because they don't like sitting around forever waiting for the next turn.

These games are not similar to homm at all regardless of their quality.

Right? I mean King's Bounty has some similarities to HoMM (it is, after all, the game that inspired it... though that doesn't always mean much), and Disciples has some vague similarities but the rest... Like they're good games but they're not really HoMM-ish. It's like saying anyone lamenting Fallout 4 should play Legend of Grimrock. I mean I enjoyed LoG but it's hardly what you'd look for in a Fallout replacement.

There's no AI in King's bounty so it sucks so much that you can play the whole game without ever losing a single unit that you recruited. It's like a prequel to Divinity:Original Sin.

Yeah but that's the case in an unfortunate amount of TBS games. To me, the watermark for bad AI is Civ V. If a game has got worse AI than Civ V (of which I can think of like two), then it's unplayable. If the AI is better than Civ V (which King's Bounty certainly is) then the game is at least playable.

Taking the indescribable incompetence of the Civ V AI and making it the minimum seems pretty depressing but that's the genre we've chosen to love :/

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
King's Bounty has some similarities to HoMM (it is, after all, the game that inspired it... though that doesn't always mean much), and Disciples has some vague similarities but the rest... Like they're good games but they're not really HoMM-ish.

They're all spiritual children spawned by Homam that are simply better.

Zeriel

Arcane
There's no AI in King's bounty so it sucks so much that you can play the whole game without ever losing a single unit that you recruited. It's like a prequel to Divinity:Original Sin.

The difficulty difference between the original game and the later spinoffs is huge. My recollection is that the original on the hardest difficulty starts off pretty damn challenging. The later spinoffs are an utter joke though, they definitely designed them around the average player.

Actually, King's Bounty came first in 1990

When people talk about King's Bounty here unless it's in relation to the earliest Heroes games in a historical footnote, they're almost always talking about the King's Bounty reboot.

Zeriel

Arcane
I tried them all, my recollection is that King's Bounty The Legend and Armored Princess have alright difficulty if you put it on the higher settings, but the ones after that are balanced to be trivial no matter what. This also coincided with the original developers (Katauri) no longer working on the series, so that ties it up in a neat bow of "here comes the decline".

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
HoMM 7 has now officially achieved the worst metascore and the worst Steam user rating of any HoMM game. Congrats to Limbic! :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom