Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Banquet’s Guests

The hall is lavish, for lack of a better word. You would be hard pressed to name better, even amongst the richest palaces of the Seven Kingdoms – and you had visited most of those in some manner. If opulence was the measure of a nation’s strength, Methuss is strong indeed. At times like this, you are glad for your foresight in haggling the procurement of proper clothes for dinner. At the prince’s expense, of course. It would not do for his guest and the newest fellow of the Royal Caster Society of Methuss to appear in shabby threads. You had swapped your worn Barzamite cloak for an even furrier and thicker one to conceal your wing, and underneath you wore a dashing white coat embroidered with blood-red thread. It was a pity that nothing could be done about the hat: the tailor had tried his best, but all that he had achieved in the constraints of the current popular fashion was to make one so tall and long that it flopped over at the top, and to add a rather wide brim that could poke someone’s eye out if you stumbled about carelessly.

At your side is Arlin, dressed in similar attire to yours with matching colours, sans the hat and the cloak. He had cleaned up very nicely, and walking by your side, the both of you drew the eyes of every person in the room when you entered. You hope that it is because of your stunning good looks, and not the hat working its magic again.

Farland walks towards you with outstretched arms. “Sir Muhchacraken! So glad you could make it,” he says loudly. And when he draws closer, he whispers more quietly, “Your clothes were… rather expensive. I was a bit worried you would skip out on me after that.”

“And miss out on the banquet? Never, Your Highness. By the way, where is your adjutant?” You are not known to be a man who had ever missed out on a free meal if it could be helped. Besides, you had only just managed to persuade Rin from coming along by promising her you would bring some of the best delicacies back, though she could not stop casting doubt on your palate. Aria, on the other hand, was not happy that you were bringing Arlin instead of her, but she merely kept quiet and sulked.

“For tonight, Leila is attending in her father's place, not as my adjutant. She will be here later in that capacity. As for the banquet, please do try to leave something behind for the rest of the guests,” smiled Farland wryly. “Ah, I see you brought the boy from Erise along…”

“Arlin, Your Highness.” The bow that he gives is a bit stiff and imprecise, but it is full of polite charm nonetheless. “It is an honour to be allowed to come.”

“No, no, I am pleased that the both of you are here-“

“So this is the man you could not stop talking about, Brother?”

Farland is interrupted by a girl who would easily rate as the most beautiful one in the hall bar none. The blonde hair and blue eyes, as well as some slight facial similarities, leads you to conclude that she is royalty. One of the princesses, most likely, and the youngest one at that. Unfortunately you can tell that she does not have much business going on in front, unlike a certain other princess you are acquainted with, but her gown is expertly tailored to make something out of nothing. It must have been made by a master of that arcane art, cleavage magic.

“Ah, you are here, Faislin! Come, let me introduce you. This is my youngest sister, Princess Faislin.” Beaming, he waves at you, “This man is Trider. He saved my life on that nasty little business down near Erise. And this is his aide, Arlin.”

“Yes, or so I’ve heard.” Turning to you, the princess gives a crisp, impeccable curtsey. “It is a pleasure to finally meet the man my brother spoke so highly of. I hear that you are a spell caster, sir.”

You nod. “That I am, Your Highness.”

“I’ve sent a letter to old Argius to induct him into the Royal Caster Society. He’ll be an excellent addition to our country,” Farland says happily.

“Really?” Faislin’s eyes widen, seemingly impressed. “That is marvelous news! You must be a really talented man, Sir Trider.”

“Oh, don’t expect too much of me, Your Highnesses,” you say humbly. Indeed, you have no intentions of participating in whatever it is these royal casters do: all you want is access to their books. If there is any responsibility that you can shirk, you will shirk it. “I am sure there are much better mages than me in the society.”

“To be serious,” Farland lowers his voice. “After your display… no, I don’t think so.” He grins.

“Brother, we should go greet the other dignitaries,” reminds his sister patiently as she tugs at his arm. “I am sure that you have much to catch up on with Sir Trider, but affairs of the state come slightly ahead.”

“Of course, Faislin. I’ll be along in just a second. Can’t exactly leave a guest I invited in the dark about everyone else in the room, can I?”

A flicker of annoyance shows on Faislin’s pretty face, so brief that you could hardly tell that it had been there at all. She gives you a gentle, bright smile. “You are right, Brother. I’ll help you out then. It would make things go a little quicker.”

“Thank you.” Farland pats Faislin’s head. Her face flushes pink, but the princess does not pull away like you had expected her to. “Haha, don’t you wish you had a model little sister like me, Trider?”

“I do have a little sister,” you reply. Had, perhaps. Who knows what has happened to her by now. Perhaps you will never find out. Chuckling, you continue, “Though she is not a model for anything except being a spoilt brat. She would have loved attending a banquet like this one.”

“Did you not bring her along to the capital?” asks Faislin.

“Oh, no. I left her at home. The journey to Methuss was a bit too far, you see. Anyway, how about that little briefing you promised, Your Highness?” you say, changing the subject.

“Right. Let’s start with…” Farland gestures at a noblewoman, beautiful despite the beginnings of age starting to show around her eyes. “Faislin’s mother.”

“Queen Natalia,” says Faislin. “She’s the one who organized this banquet.”

“What about the King?” you ask.

“He has been sickly as of late,” replies Faislin. “Our father is in his bedchambers at the moment, attended to by my aunt.”

“My mother,” Farland adds. “They’re twins.”

“Moving on, the one over there with the sleek hair-do is the Crown Prince, Feist Yuiry, and besides him is the Third Prince Fillipe.” Faislin points at an arrogant, good-looking man surrounded by a large gathering of nobles, and another who could almost be his younger looking twin. “The man in red next to them is Duke Hargreave Brescia. Someone you should be careful around. I don’t think he likes big hats much.” The Duke is a powerfully built, balding man who carries himself with the bearing of a military leader. He seems strong enough, for a nobleman.

“Holding court amongst the women over there is another of my brothers, Fifth Prince Farstalt,” gestures Farland. Indeed, there is a charming blonde conversing animatedly with some pretty, well-dressed noblewomen off to the side. “And close by, over there by the liquor bar is Fourth Prince Fennick, Knight-Commander Belbro Wickman and Marquis Ondore Hastwell. The Marquis is married to my sister, the First Princess, but she is in Dijeh at the moment. He returned early after getting news of some trouble.”

“Yes, that business with Zayan. Do not worry yourself about it, Brother, I will take care of the matter,” sighs Faislin.

“Sounds like rather pesky business indeed,” you nod. “I hope you solve it soon.”

“Then we have that black robed group over there… do you see the tall, bearded guy with the pointy staff? That’s the Grand Imperial Archmage of Gran Byarlant, Julius Gallardo. He’s talking to our own Chief Mage, Argius Goethe.”

“Oh, there’s Count Muscus Norvegis,” murmurs Faislin, glancing at a nobleman with a pinched, ratty face.

“Count Norvegis? Ah, yes, I suppose he is… notable in his own way,” Farland nods. “He is known to be close to the Nine Fingers.”

“Now, that’s a name I haven’t heard before,” you say. “The name sounds rather shady.” In fact, you had encountered a Nine Fingers before – a rather petty criminal organization that took a bit too much joy in dominating their economy through brutality, right until you led a bunch of paladins to kick down their doorstep as another of your heroic deeds. Thanks to some sloppy accounting on part of the authorities which you befriended, some of the loot retrieved from their headquarters that day was never found…

“A criminal group masquerading as a legitimate business entity,” explains Faislin. “Their operations span the continent and they are quite active in Methuss as an importer of slaves in both legal and black markets.”

Ah. You should have known. What was it with criminals and the name ‘Nine Fingers’?

“You seem to have done your homework, Faislin. I’m impressed,” whistles Farland.

“Of course, Brother. It is my duty as a princess,” she replies primly. “Now, I believe we should be moving on? I am sure Sir Trider can take care of himself for a few seconds.”

“Sure I can. Did you get all of that, Arlin?”

“Eh… what?” Arlin looks up at you in surprise. “I… I think I remember it all.”

“Excellent. I’m counting on you.”

As the princess drags her brother away, Barbatos whispers to you in your mind.

“Boy. Dost thou sense it? The call of battle?”

“I sense nothing at all. What are you babbling on about now?”

“That bearded man o’er there, the one with a pointy staff. He, too, has sensed it.”

“You mean the Archmage?” You look at the Archmage of Byarlant, and find that he too is staring right at you with his piercing grey eyes. His staff, encrusted in what you now realize to be magnatite, is pulsing with light. No one else in the hall seems to notice, however. Then, he breaks eye contact and the light show fades.

“Athos resides within that staff. Ha! This is a good opportunity. Let us go smash that dunderhead with our knuckles, boy, and show these dullard humans a good spectacle!”

You think unleashing Barbatos and beating an old man bloody senseless on the floor of the royal palace would be quite a spectacle indeed, though the reactions you might get afterwards would not be too comforting.

“He’s not approaching us.”

“Of course he wouldn’t. Cowardice. That is embedded in Athos’s bone.”

“You mean bones?”

“No, bone, for he only has the one.”

You are not even sure how that would work.

You are perfectly capable of mingling while eating. You proceed to talk to:

A. Queen Natalia, the hostess of the banquet. She seems otherwise preoccupied with some very important people, but you are not the sort of person that would let that stop you from intruding on a lady.

B. The Crown Prince and his brother, as well as the Duke, who are gathered with the majority of the nobles. They seem stuck up enough to appreciate your big hat, and they do appear to be the actual power players in the country at the moment.

C. Fifth Prince Farstalt and his bevy of women. He seems to be drawing portraits of them at the moment. Perhaps you too can join in and admire the flowers, as there are too many weeds elsewhere in the hall.

D. Prince Fennick, Knight-Commander Belbro and Marquis Ondore, who are conversing and drinking by themselves. Other nobles attempt to join them from time to time, but for some reason they never manage to stay for long.

E. Grand Imperial Archmage Julius Gallardo. The old man has a demonic weapon and so do you. He is a spell caster, and so are you. Surely you have plenty of things in common to talk about. Besides, you would rather approach him first before he gets the jump on you.

F. Count Muscus Norvegis. He’s closely related to some criminal elements, which makes him of some interest to you. Perhaps these Nine Fingers may prove to be useful contacts in the future, and hopefully they are more competent than the ones you once encountered.

G. You attempt to rejoin Prince Farland and Princess Faislin and continue talking to them.

H. You do not approach anyone. Anyone who is interested in you should come to you, rather than you to them.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
H > E > D.
I am pretty sure everyone will want to talk to the strange wizard that saved the prince's life.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was a pity that nothing could be done about the hat: the tailor had tried his best, but all that he had achieved in the constraints of the current popular fashion was to make one so tall and long that it flopped over at the top, and to add a rather wide brim that could poke someone’s eye out if you stumbled about carelessly.

At your side is Arlin, dressed in similar attire to yours with matching colours, sans the hat and the cloak. He had cleaned up very nicely, and walking by your side, the both of you drew the eyes of every person in the room when you entered. You hope that it is because of your stunning good looks, and not the hat working its magic again.
Somehow, I think our hats are turning out to be the most fleshed out entities in the whole LP, with better characterization than some people with names, even.

Say, that's an idea! We need a name for our hat. :M
tumblr_I-call-it-Vera.gif

The man in red next to them is Duke Hargreave Brescia. Someone you should be careful around. I don’t think he likes big hats much.
:mob:
He is our mortal enemy.

“Then we have that black robed group over there… do you see the tall, bearded guy with the pointy staff? That’s the Grand Imperial Archmage of Gran Byarlant, Julius Gallardo.
:rage::rage::rage:
Please no. Please let it be an error on the Universal Translator's part.

“Now, that’s a name I haven’t heard before,” you say. “The name sounds rather shady.” In fact, you had encountered a Nine Fingers before – a rather petty criminal organization that took a bit too much joy in dominating their economy through brutality, right until you led a bunch of paladins to kick down their doorstep as another of your heroic deeds. Thanks to some sloppy accounting on part of the authorities which you befriended, some of the loot retrieved from their headquarters that day was never found…

“A criminal group masquerading as a legitimate business entity,” explains Faislin. “Their operations span the continent and they are quite active in Methuss as an importer of slaves in both legal and black markets.”
An interstellar criminal ring. How quaint.

Many good choices in this one. I don't know where to start. I would rather have us lock on Princess Faislin, but this is such a good opportunity... D and E in particular look interesting to me.

Let's get our 'Uhihihi' on. E>D

Also, Athos confirmed to be Byarlant's tool. This is hardly a surprise, but at least now we know about their involvement with Erise plot to kill or control Farland for sure. I bet they want a piece of us.

I wonder if my other hypothesis, about the Crown Prince/Great Duke being in their pocket, or otherwise in cahoots with them, isn't true, too.

Last edited:

wjw

Augur
We totally failed to impress princess Faislin. I am dissappoint. She just presented us standard courtesy.
There might be something ongoing at the castle and Farland and Faislin might know something.
It seems to be a good idea, to sneak into the royal chambers and check up on the King, if the opportunity presents itself.

So if we go and talk with the Wizard, that will be that. We'll appear to be 'just another wizard.' Boring choice.
The Crown Prince might be interesting, just to get to know him a little bit.
The Womanizer prince is not someone to go to. We are already invested with a ton of women and have yet to see any result.
We might save Queen Natalia from some very boring conversations. Might be good. Arlin might help us here. Meeting the hostess also seems the proper thing to do.
The drinking brothers would be perfect, if we went with Rin. Arlin is here though.
Count Norvegis is not someone we should talk to publicly. Ofcourse.
Prince Farland and Princess Faislin obviously wanted some alone time. So unless we go eavesdropping, not a very good idea.
Just standing there akwardly with our hat and Arlin might be something.

So yeah. Arlin might also be totally confused right now... yup.

A > B > H

Nevill

Arcane
So if we go and talk with the Wizard, that will be that. We'll appear to be 'just another wizard.' Boring choice.
Not if we blow up half the quarter in greetings, no. :M

And that's 'just another Archwizard', thank you very much. Their wizards aren't very notable, if Farland's words are anything to go by.

Count Norvegis is not someone we should talk to publicly. Of course.
Why? He is not your random drug dealer you meet in a dark alley. He is invited to a major public event such as this, and he has perfectly legal grounds to be here.

I don't expect us to be dealing with him here and now, but that's how connections are made. He is like a Mafia Don.

“No, no, I am pleased that the both of you are here-“
I wonder what he meant. Looks like he expected something or someone different. Rin, perhaps?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Good to see that Erd never stops taking advantage from other people's generosity. :lol:

It was a pity that nothing could be done about the hat: the tailor had tried his best, but all that he had achieved in the constraints of the current popular fashion was to make one so tall and long that it flopped over at the top, and to add a rather wide brim that could poke someone’s eye out if you stumbled about carelessly.

Our hat has evolved! Although it won't stop here, right? At this rate it will become more and more ridiculous fashionable. +M
Also, blood red clothing for someone who belongs to a race of bloodthirsty monsters with angelic features. Coincidence? I think not.

A flicker of annoyance shows on Faislin’s pretty face, so brief that you could hardly tell that it had been there at all. She gives you a gentle, bright smile. “You are right, Brother. I’ll help you out then. It would make things go a little quicker.”

“Thank you.” Farland pats Faislin’s head. Her face flushes pink, but the princess does not pull away like you had expected her to. “Haha, don’t you wish you had a model little sister like me, Trider?”

Hmm, either these two are planning something... Or perhaps Faislin and Farland are the mandatory "incestuous relationship" so common in royalty. :troll:

It's funny that there's another criminal organization with identical name and behaviour to Erd's world. Perhaps that's a hint that we're in the same planet but in alternate reality/timeline. Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

Anyway, as expected the archmage has immediately noticed the fact that we're also another Pokemon trainer Demonic Weapon user. On the plus side, that may distract him from considering Erd is not actually human, to start.

I wonder what he meant. Looks like he expected something or someone different. Rin, perhaps?

Perhaps the prince had the vague hope we would have been as foolish/trollish as to bring Zayan herself here, confirming his suspicions.

In any case, my votes are:

D>C>H>B>A>G

All of these sound like fun choices. A drinking contest may not be too good for us though, not because Erd lacks stamina (which he doesn't thanks to his superhuman stats), but because alcohol could interfere with the translation spell, causing some hilarious but unpredictable results. It's a tough choice.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Much as I find the idea of starting something with an Archmage from a foreign country on a diplomatic visit, I feel the need to point out that our paths are very likely to cross again anyway, what with us and our companions being quite upset with each other. If we don't walk up to him now to have a hat contest (he is an Archmage, he has one too, right? Right?), he is bound to either approach us himself, or put us in an undesireable position, or try to send someone to jump us in an alley.

We probably won't meet the rest of them in one place anytime soon.

I wonder, if we had Rin with us, how would she act? I imagine she has a score to settle with Athos.

By the way, how does she, as a merchant's wife, mask the lack of her arm? Through her shadow armament? Or does she not hide her injury?

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Sure, but I don't really care about the rest of them aside from Farland and the princess and they don't want to talk to us now exactly.

Their interest will surely be rekindled when we punch a hole through the Grand Imperial Archmage as a manner of greeting. +M

Tigranes

Arcane
Our hat? You idiots, its the beginnings of a castle!

E>B. E actually combines lulz with pragmatics, since we would want to know more about magic, mages and magical organisations. Failing that, B is also a way to try and get a geopolitical awareness.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

ok, so just reading through this now, not done yet, but freaking fagdex stikes again and we bring Arlin. Assholes.

ok, back to reading. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Can't be helped. Our women aren't giant pussies, and that scares the 'Dex to no end.

Also:
- But what if Rin frenzies and kills everyone?
*leave Rin at home*
*try to rip the head off the Archmage guest the first chance we get*

Klassic Kodex Konsistency. :salute:

F>C

I'd like to bag a queen. edit: actually she's 52, so nevermind. Failing that, let's further our underworld connections, falling that, maybe we can pick up one of the 5th's stragglers for the night.

Or of course, there's the option of walking up to the one person in the room that is the most likely to know what we are if he gets a close enough look at us and possibly picking a fight with him for grins too. :roll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
This is long shot, but maybe we can use Arlin to direct conversation with the queen to good directions.
Use that Arlin innocent kindness and cuteness/handsomeness to distract middle aged lady for C-C-Critical SUCCESS!!!

Voting for A

Edit:

I bet that the queen is a cougar, lets use Arlin to trap 'n tap that cougar.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I'd like to bag a queen.
Do keep in mind that she is 52. :M

Im a bit disappointed that bringing Arlin has had less of an impact, oh well.
He was chosen precisely for the reason that he keeps himself scarce. What kind of impact did we expect?

Anyway. I find the current distribution of votes odd.

Currently it's A vs. E almost exclusively. I don't really think that E would necessarly result in a fight, although our interaction with the Archmage is bound to be less than friendly - but if we or Barbatos don't start something, he wouldn't dare either. Byarlant schemers don't strike me as ones who like to take risks. I don't want this to be dismissed as a lulzy choice, but I understand the hesitation.

However, I am also not sure what exactly do we want from one of the queens. She is not the sole source of power in the kingdom (since she has a sister of equal standing), and she isn't the mother of Feist or Farland either, who we expect to be the major players.

Do we want a pipeline to the king through her? Do we want to talk to her precisely because she isn't related to Feist&Farland? What exactly are our considerations?

Choice F is alluring because it may lay a foundation for an underground Empire we are already building, choice D might let us know people who are working with Dijeh and are in a bad standing with Barzam (not unlike we are). Choice H is a mystery choice that might have someone unexpected approach us. I wonder why those aren't getting more attention.

Last edited:

Arlin is too closet-Theseus to actually be useful.
Do keep in mind that she is 52. :M
wah, sersiosly, bruh? screw that...I mean, don't screw that...I mean, forget it - flopping to F>C.

Nevill

Arcane
Of course they would be. No way we are touching that without a six feet pole. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom