Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's play Original War

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A ruthless attack on American positions! An event that marked the turning point in the war! A shocking twist that nobody saw coming! All this and more in today's episode of Original War!

Mission 3. Attack on Omicron!
With Kurin giving the signal to attack, his drivers have finally loaded themselves into the vehicles we left for them and moved to rejoin the main force. One does wonder why they haven't done so sooner.
2015_09_05_205241.jpg

The base looks pretty well-defended, though. I am in no rush to go first, so I wait for them to arrive and commandeer all of the defenders' attention.
2015_09_05_205337.jpg

Our primary heavy-hitter is a double-barreled gun tank which is going wild on a screenshot below. We have to make sure it has the range to attack whatever is it we are attacking, and keep the enemy fire on someone else at the same time, since our advance would become much slower if they blow it up.
2015_09_05_205409.jpg

Man, these guys have self-preservation instincts of lemmings. Suicidal, bomb-carrying shahid lemmings, at that. They are not content with just attacking the first fortification they come across, oh no. They drive all the way to the middle of the enemy base and in-between the two armories to attack a gun turret. With a gatling gun. That's the second best equivalent of 'carving the heart out with a spoon' the game has, the first one being the use of unarmed apes.
2015_09_05_205435.jpg

Needless to say, the results are... predictable. However, it gives us a bit of time to get closer to the northern armory which has several soldiers in it and is by far the most dangerous structure in the whole base.
2015_09_05_205511.jpg

You know, now might be a good time to rethink our approach, repair, and maybe come up with a better plan...
2015_09_05_224128.jpg

...right. Point taken. For Mother Russia!!! :salute: +M

Not that persistence doesn't pay off. One of our tanks that got hit earlier blows up, taking a bunker with it and damaging the second armory.
2015_09_05_205626.jpg

More tanks catch fire, but there is no stopping a screaming wall of metal slowly advancing on American positions now.
2015_09_05_205643.jpg

Unfortunately, that also means that when one of my vehicles needs to take a break (the smoking gatling tank that is trying to steer away from the massacre on the screenshot below), it finds itself caught between the allied heavy-hitter and a captured American tank that ran out of Solar Energy. No wonder Burlak doesn't abide this crap!
2015_09_05_205707.jpg

It looks like Kurin had an ace up his sleeve and sent additional reinforcements to us, as well as cargo trucks in case we run out of fuel. How provident of him. However, guys, I am not sure you want to come up there while the northern armory is still standing...
2015_09_05_205743.jpg

Meanwhile, Olga Tamm is finally forced out of her vehicle by that annoying gun turret. I got the American vehicle out of the way, but it was too late. Another heavy tank falls victim to the northern armory, its driver unconscious, but at least it shields the driver from further harm.
2015_09_05_205812.jpg

I send my medics to try and save the ones that can still be saved.
2015_09_05_205852.jpg

At about that time the soldiers reach the armory and quickly find out why you need tanks - lots of tanks - to storm such places.
2015_09_05_205951.jpg

Um, healing our wounded in front of enemy soldiers seemed like a good idea at the time, but they have run out of easy targets to shoot at. I barely get my medic away. Thankfully, I have a second one to patch him up.
2015_09_05_210008.jpg

Finally, the wretched building falls! I resume my medical duties, and even sneak Olga back to her damaged vehicle before it burns down. Also, it appears that not all of our allies have the lemming mentality - I can see a guy refueling and repairing their heavy gatling tank in the background.
2015_09_05_210202.jpg

It is good that the AI doesn't finish the wounded off. I stabilize the soldiers that distracted the armory with their heroic charge. I also try to bust down the turret, but...
2015_09_05_210340.jpg

...it's like hitting a head against a brick wall. Repeatedly. After our double-gunned tank gets damaged and drives off for repars, the futility of the task becomes clear to me. I just use this brief respite to collect myself and patch everything up.
2015_09_05_210531.jpg

Alright. If we can't get to the turrent, we can simply shut down the depot it gets the power from. Unlike bunkers and armories, turrets can't function on their own.
2015_09_05_210714.jpg

Here's a shot of Kirov. Belkov is sad he doesn't get to see any action. :( And they still have some spare tanks, huh.
2015_09_05_210737.jpg

What's left is a simple mop-up. There goes the factory.
2015_09_05_210820.jpg

There goes the lab.
2015_09_05_210848.jpg

And just when we finally blast the accursed turret to bits...
2015_09_05_210936.jpg

Mike.jpg
- To all bases! Unknown enemy coming from the East. All US forces are authorised to withdraw! Repeat, withdraw immediately.
Kovalyuk.jpg
- Even in defeat they cannot face truth that USSR is totally superior. They must call us 'unknown'.
Gnievko.jpg
- I cannot believe they play games. They know who we are. This is strange...

Maybe we should contact the base? But before long, we get a message of our own.
2015_09_05_211029.jpg

Grishko.jpg
- (over radio) This is corporal Grishko calling S. M. Kirov. We are east of you now and see unknown troops heading our direction. Repeat, unknown troops heading for us.
Kurin_radio.jpg
- What uniform do they wear, comrade?
Grishko.jpg
- (over radio – a moment later) I don't know it… Never seen anything like this… Oh God! There are more! And over there! We are under attack! Red alert! Holy Virgin... (breaks down)
Kurin_radio.jpg
- Control yourself, boy! What's happening?
Grishko.jpg
- (over radio, cont.) They are using... aaargh..! (sound of engulfing flames)
Kurin_radio.jpg
- Colonel Kurin calling all units. Finish at Omicron quickly, we need you here.

Well, that doesn't sound familiar at all. :roll: Good thing we are done with the Americans anyway. Full speed ahead!
2015_09_05_211126.jpg

Alas, we are a bit late for that.
2015_09_05_211149.jpg

Kurin_radio.jpg
- Colonel Kurin calling all units. Return immediately, repeat, return immediately!
Gorky.jpg
- What is going on? Who are they?
Kurin_radio.jpg
- Don’t ask questions! Just get back here!

The armory goes up in flames. Civilians and even some of the less than brave soldiers try to flee the scene.
2015_09_05_211202.jpg

Flames... flames and death, everywhere, from all sides. Also, crazy monkeys.
2015_09_05_211212.jpg

The flamethrowers strike true, wiping the infantry out in a matter of seconds.
2015_09_05_211225.jpg

Neat and tidy columns of mortarmen line up to get a better line of fire as our soldiers are forced out of the second armory.
2015_09_05_211256.jpg

The lab is next. There are barely any scientists in there, anyway - all who could, tried to ran away in the first few seconds of the attack.
2015_09_05_211313.jpg

And as if it weren't enough, a number of light artillery tanks arrive to seal the deal. S.M. Kirov is finished as the warehouse breaks down. Speaking of which, the guys I chose from in the beginning of the mission? Ivan Saseda, Igor Balei? They were all in there. Here is a screenshot of Balei taking a last stand against the time traveling nazi hordes! :salute:
2015_09_05_211439.jpg

There are a few enemy bodies lying around here and there, but most of the dead are our guys. As for Belkov... well, he was standing right there with Kurin when it all started. There is no way he could have escaped. :negative:

A sad and haunting melody plays. A pity I can't find it in the OST and link to it. :cry:

As we draw near, a lone figure emerges from the trees and walks to intercept us. It's the captain Cockblocker, also known as cpt. Popov.
2015_09_05_211844.jpg

By the way, the bunkers on the eastern ridge? They got abandoned. Apparently, the Americans had to leave in a hurry.
2015_09_05_211933.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- What happened!?
Popov.jpg
- There were many soldiers. They were using weapons like you've never seen before. Huge tanks, fire spitting behemoths…
Gorky.jpg
- What remains?
Popov.jpg
- Nothing. Kirov was our biggest base in this sector and they destroyed it in thirty seconds! Kurin is dead.
Gorky.jpg
- Then you are the senior officer. What do you plan to do?
Popov.jpg
- (shakily) I don't know…
Gorky.jpg
- To do nothing is not an option.
Popov.jpg
- (more firmly) No, you are right. We must regroup. We have to warn V. I. Lenin. If we retreat towards them we can join forces.
Gorky.jpg
- Sounds like a good idea, comrade. We should get past Kaganovich and proceed South West.
Popov.jpg
- That is correct. But we must hurry.

And that concludes the mission. Victory... I guess. :|
2015_09_05_211543.jpg

Mission Accomplished.
+ Surplus vehicles produced.
+ Many enemy reinforcements destroyed.
+ Professor Scholtze saved.

And the intermission screen.
2015_09_05_211633.jpg

Well, that sucks. I kinda forgot about this when leaving the veterans at the base. It's a shame, I quite liked Belkov - he was a funny one. Should I grit my teeth and soldier on, or should I replay the mission in a way that allows him to survive?
The once bright future seems hopeless now as the fortunes of war turn against our heroes. Will they find enough resolve in their hearts to survive what is coming, overcome the sudden obstacles and turn the tide of war once again? Find out in the next episode: A Prayer For The Dead.

Uh, that didn't not sound very promising... :|

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What would be most punishing?

You know you need to punish yourself, for making us wait this long for an update, and then you split in three.. :rpgcodex:

lightbane

Arcane
Carry on, if only to see if you can still surpass the game and break it in half with so few units.

Nevill

Arcane
Oh, I'll get other units, if only a bit less experienced. We haven't reached the part of the game where resourses are truly limited. What I won't get is Belkov's dialogue lines.

Ah, well, if people want me to persevere, I can do that.

Nevill

Arcane
I decided to stick with my decisions and press on. Belkov doesn't appear to have too many lines anyway. I'll have his ghost chime in once in a while, maybe.

Without further ado...

Mission 4. Prayer for the dead.
2015_09_06_145210.jpg

South West of former S. M. Kirov; May 5, 2 NR
The moment the Russians looked certain of victory they were besieged by an unknown enemy. Now they must defend themselves against a new force, and whoever these soldiers are, they know what they're doing.

2015_09_08_210609.jpg

Buzunov.jpg
- (over radio) Comrade Platonov, the evacuation is ready. We can start in ten minutes.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) It is the only way, our losses are too many, comrade Kurin is amongst them. Burlak, we need cover for our retreat. This may cost a few lives but it will save many.
Gorky.jpg
- I understand, comrade Platonov.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- You are the only one we can depend on, Burlak. You must take eight men and construct a base on the knoll to the South. When you are ready we will send all the resources you need. Now hurry, comrade. We cannot survive long.

Huh, he almost sounds like a human being. It feels good to finally be recognized. Shame it happened only when we got sent on a suicide mission. :M

Anyway, here's our team. A bit lacking in experienced soldiers, but c'est la vie. The other team under the lead of cpt. Popov will evacuate as per the retreat plan.
2015_09_08_210826.jpg

We got our orders. Time to do our jobs.
2015_09_08_210850.jpg

Comrade Kuzmov awaits us in the center of the map. One does wonder how he got here if the territory around him is uncharted. Probably ran away without looking back. :M
2015_09_08_210912.jpg

We part ways with Popov on the crossroads, where we turn left to build our depot.
2015_09_08_211032.jpg

And done!
2015_09_08_211246.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Comrade major, we have constructed the depot. We need more resources now.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- Very well, comrade Burlak. The resources you need are on their way.

About this time the convoys start to pass through the area. There will be many refugees, soldiers and civilians alike, fleeing south. This cargo truck is fully loaded with crates.
2015_09_08_211323.jpg

The driver dumps the crates in a pile right under our depot, salutes, and sails away.
2015_09_08_211420.jpg

We immediately begin the construction of a lab and an oil rig. We'll need the power. The lab is converted to the Weapons Lab on the spot. We'll need guns, too. Lots of guns.
2015_09_08_212811.jpg

Another cargo truck full of crates is moving south. Nice!
2015_09_08_212846.jpg

Upon upgrading the lab, we have this dialogue. Thank God the Party professor survived the last mission!
2015_09_08_212902.jpg

Scholtze.jpg
- I think we can develop guns that will blast them off the earth. I just need a little time and an assistant with half a brain.
Gorky.jpg
- Good, comrade. I'll tell you when to start.

Well, time we have in spades, but as for the assistant, there seems to be a bit of a problem...
2015_09_08_212932.jpg

With the exception of our unlucky guy, our men don't seem to be all that bright, having 2 levels of scientist max. Ah, it's never too late to learn.

Meanwhile, the second cargo truck arrives. Over here, comrade! You are just in time, as we are getting low on crates.
2015_09_08_213031.jpg

I said, over here! WTF, did you not hear me the first time!? Hey, stop right there! Stop, I'm telling you!! :argh::argh::argh:
2015_09_08_213038.jpg

There appears to be a method to this madness. And that method is 'we are being ignored'. That won't do at all.
2015_09_08_213246.jpg

Kuzmin.jpg
- Seems to me is the resources are taking too long to get here, Burlak. Maybe we should take care of it ourselves.
Gorky.jpg
- What’s your idea, comrade?
Kuzmin.jpg
- There is plenty of stuff going elsewhere.
Gorky.jpg
- You’re suggesting a little appropriation?
Kuzmin.jpg
- Precisely.

Getting supplies for the army, the Russian way. Why couldn't we think of that in the American campaign? :stupid:
2015_09_08_213302.jpg

So, Codex. To do, or not to do? :M
2015_09_08_213331.jpg

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Wise words, comrade. :salute:

This is now a GTA thread.
XZYaeML.gif

Mission 4. Burlak dindu nuffin.
We kindly, but firmly, reroute the truck to our base.
Gorky.jpg
- Hello comrade. We need your supplies.

No one appears to notice. Eh, I guess it's a lucky break for us.
2015_09_09_204106.jpg

I queued the Heavy Gun, Gatling Gun, and general Weapon Upgrade research. Six scientists crack one tech after the other rather fast. Ironically, generic quantitative improvements (upgrading the quality of AIs, improving weapon strength or reducing oil consumption) take more time than developing a new technology from scratch.

Let's put our new crates to use and construct a workshop. It is a bit cramped at our base, but thankfully, we don't need many extensions just yet, so we don't care if some parts of the workshop remain inaccessible.
2015_09_09_204336.jpg

We see the next convoy approaching - this time with 2 supply trucks in short succession! - and have a hitchhiker ready way in advance. The scientists take a break as I bring everyone out to help with the base construction.
2015_09_09_204458.jpg

And look, the workshop is completed, too! What a coincidence! We could use a tank or two. So...
2015_09_09_204531.jpg

Do we, or do we not? :M

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
It's the trucks' fault for dressing like a whore being here! That means it wants to be taken. What's the worst that could happen anyway?+M

Nevill

Arcane
Nothing. However, since I've decided to stick with my decisions and bury Belkov, I am sticking with all of my decisions. Well, at least with the ones I allow the 'Dex to make.

Choices and consequenses. Speaking of which...
Platonov_radio.jpg
- What the hell are you doing, comrade Gorky!?
Gorky.jpg
- Comrade major, we need resources...
Platonov_radio.jpg
- And I told you they have been sent!
Kuzmin.jpg
- So where are they? Comrade major talks bullshit. Unless we take the resources we need there will be no base!

By the way, did I mention there were two supply trucks?
2015_09_09_204635.jpg

I did, didn't I?
2015_09_09_204725.jpg

We haven't properly pillaged the first one, but the more the merrier, right? :M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
All the way to the Gulag!
That might be closer than you think. Besides, we are in Siberia. :M

Mission 4. A path to success.
We steal it successfully with no reprimand. But what is this on the minimap?
2015_09_13_140855.jpg

Oh.
2015_09_13_140940.jpg

Oh my.
2015_09_13_141001.jpg

Three supply trucks. I am not going to ask the Codex about this one. I don't even wait for them to come - just walk straight up the road and tell them to take the right turn at the crossroads. Luck favors the bold! Success is at hand!
2015_09_13_141033.jpg

For some reason, that doesn't sit well with Mr. Spoilsport.
2015_09_13_141055.jpg

Platonov_radio.jpg
- What the hell are you doing, comrade Gorky!?
What does it look like I am doing?
Gorky.jpg
- I thought this was what you sent comrade Major.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- Use your eyes next time, comrade Gorky. Don’t let it happen again!
Kuzmin.jpg
- So what do we do? Sit here and wait to be killed? This is the only way Burlak.

Private Kuzmov would make a fine administrator back in our days. The guy is an inspiration to us all. :salute:

One more for from the road! They won't be paying close attention after they have just wagged their finger at us!
2015_09_13_141601.jpg

Now that we have robbed V.I. Lenin of resourses and doomed the campaign collected all the crates we need, it is time for us to do the actual base-building. First, we need to upgrade the workshop to a factory and build a gun extension for it.
2015_09_13_141844.jpg

Next come the defences. An armory and a turret for each base entry.
2015_09_13_142245.jpg

Turret

You have your first turret. Now you have to place a weapon on it. Select the turret and from the drop-down list choose a weapon. Then click the Place weapon button and mechanics in your factory will take care of producing and placing it.

You have to have a soldier inside a turret in order for it to fight. Make sure you have enough power plants; turrets will need power once they start shooting and lack of power decreases turret efficiency.
So, the factory is pretty much required to have a defence as that's where the weapons for turrets come from. Also, I believe I have mentioned that in the American campaign, but it bears repeating that buildings all have levels to determine how sturdy they are. In the screenshot above it's the number next to the star, to the right of the facility's name (3+2). A building's level is equal to that of an engineer who built it (plus a technology upgrade if you have one - that's where the +2 comes from), but it can be upgraded if a more qualified engineer takes a look at it. My most experienced guy has a lvl5 in engineering, so I have him make a final pass on all the fortifications in the base.

We produce our first gun tank! Not the greatest stats against infantry, but a fine anti-tank weapon otherwise. We also run into a problem of not having enough energy to operate the factory at full efficiency. We need more power plants.
2015_09_13_142552.jpg

And another armory goes to the western entrance. We are going to bunker down hard.
2015_09_13_142803.jpg

Still, I can't resist the lure of One More Truck.
2015_09_13_142926.jpg

Platonov_radio.jpg
- This is enough, Burlak! You will desist; that is an order!
Gorky.jpg
- Comrade major, we cannot defend the position without supplies.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- No member of the Russian army will steal from another, whatever the circumstance is. Is that clear!?
:nocountryforshitposters:
Gorky.jpg
- Yes, comrade major.
Kuzmin.jpg
- We must be more careful. His patience is at an end.

What is that I hear, Kuzmov? Backing down already? Shame on you! :outrage:

So, here is our current situation. In theory, we have enough to live through the day. We have even built a second tank, and will have enough crates for two more turrets.
2015_09_13_143434.jpg

What do we do, Codex?
2015_09_13_143739.jpg

Oops, I meant...
2015_09_13_143735.jpg

:troll:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
With one vote for yes and one vote fo no it falls to me to decide the outcome. So be it. There are two trucks coming anyway. Yes for one, no for the other. :M

Mission 4. The curtain falls.
Our greed will not be contained!
2015_09_13_143754.jpg

Platonov_radio.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, this is a flagrant breach of military conduct. If it is repeated you will be court-martialed.
Gorky.jpg
- I am sorry, comrade major, I could see no other way, but our supplies are sufficient now.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- That is why I have recalled convoy that was coming to you. You will receive nothing more!
Kuzmin.jpg
- Nothing would have come anyway.
Comrade Kuzmov knows all too well how the army works. :salute:

:philosoraptor:
2015_09_13_143816.jpg

...Naaah.
Gorky.jpg
- Nothing. Drive on, comrade.

So, this is what we came up with. 4 turrets, 3 gun tanks, 3 armories. Not half bad.
2015_09_13_172716.jpg

And now, I suppose, time has come to put it all to test.
2015_09_13_172808.jpg

Platonov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) Comrade Yuri Ivanovich Gorky, the enemy is on its way. You must hold them off until I give you orders to retreat. Our hopes are with you.
He is using our full name. Shit's serious.
Gorky.jpg
- (into radio). They will not pass, comrade major Platonov.
Kuzmin.jpg
- We are left to die so those yellow bastards can run in safety.
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- Talk like that and I will kill you myself. It is an honour to save our countrymen’s lives.
Oh, Belkov, you were the broest of bros. Rest in peace, comrade. :salute:
Gorky.jpg
- Our orders are to stop the enemy, and that is what we must do.
Gnievko.jpg
- Comrade Kuzmov has a point. We have been left here to die.
Gorky.jpg
- No. We have been left here to kill as many US sons of bitches as we can. And if we win then we stay alive. We have to work together.
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- I have faith in you, Burlak. You saved me twice before.
No I didn't. :negative:
Kovalyuk.jpg
- I have trust in comrade Gorky. We all should.
I swear, this game tries to make me feel bad. :(

A quick reminder of who is who in our band of buggers.
2015_09_13_222028.jpg

Tamm and Javorska are undisputedly soldiers, as that's their highest skill. Gorky is best used as a driver. Strusanov is a bad soldier and a mediocre driver, but he is also a lvl5 engineer, so I keep him around for repairs. Our unlucky guy, Sharifianov, is only good as a medic, but we have no need for them now. He'll be one of the armory soldiers, seeing how there are no particular requirements for those (the ones on the turrets need to be the best ones as their efficiency is doubled). His colleague, Scholtze, can only be used as a driver - but he is quite good at it, on par with Gorky. Gnyevko would be an ideal candidate for the third mechanic with his 5lvl skill, but I also have some lousy guy by the name of Kedr who is only good at driving and nothing else, while Gnyevko also doubles as a soldier - and that's the assignment he gets.

I must get the most out of the limited resourses I have.

Here come the bastards. They have a rally point right outside of my base... which is in range of my gun turret. They just dance around, dodging shells, as they haven't received the order to attack yet. Unfortunately, due to poor gun efficiency against troops, they can do this all day.
2015_09_13_173056.jpg

We'll bait them out. They are experienced, but driver ranks count double while they are in vehicles, so it's 6lvl soldiers versus my 8lvl Gorky. And an armory with 2 soldiers in it, who get the final say.
2015_09_13_173135.jpg

At the same time we are besieged from the west.
2015_09_13_173219.jpg

There are too many of them, the gun turrets can't handle the infantry, and the armory only has one soldier in it. I hastily redeploy one vehicle from the eastern side, but they still make it inside the base. The engineer I summoned to fix the armory ducks into a depot and waits until the attack is over.
2015_09_13_173322.jpg

Look at that neet row of bodies lying at at equal intervals. That's one soldier in the armory for you. Imagine what they can do when there are six of them inside.

One mercenary soldier ducks behind the rows of oil power plants where the tanks can't follow him. Clever. However, he is still mowed down once he comes out on the other side.
2015_09_13_173429.jpg

Meanwhile, on our eastern front. The cavalry has arrived!
2015_09_13_173606.jpg

Actually, they keep arriving from both sides simultaneously.
2015_09_13_173632.jpg

All the hell suddenly breaks loose as I find myself frantically jumping between two locations. The main forces are here!
2015_09_13_173615.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- Here they come. Ready. This is going to be hot.
Belkov_ghost.jpg
- Come here, dickheads! We'll show you what Russian soldiers can do!
Kuzmin.jpg
- Prepare to meet your deaths, you bastards.
Kovalyuk.jpg
- Don't worry, Burlak, we'll clean up!
Shultze.jpg
- The medics are ready for action, comrade Burlak!
Uh, you are currently a mechanic, and a badass one, too, if the screenshot above is of any indication.

Flamethrowers? Would have been scary if I had my infantry in the open. Shame you haven't brought your exploding monkeys for my armory, eh?
2015_09_13_173738.jpg

The enemy forces are numerous, but they keep arriving one at a time, and by the time the next ones arrive their predecessors are just a smoking hole in the ground. Their mechanics are excellent, but their vehicles can't keep up with our rate of fire.
2015_09_13_173805.jpg

Some of them are not really attacking the base, just trying to get past through the road. Unfortunately, that's where my tanks are waiting for them, blocking the passage and forcing the confrontation. And our armor is much, much better.

Normally, the Arabian vehicles are very fast, so the turrets have problems aiming at them, and the shots only graze them without doing much damage. That's why one of the most important tasks for my vehicles is to make them stop - by standing in the way, if need be. Once my guns get a good lock on their trikes, they rip those to shreds.
2015_09_13_173835.jpg

Boom!
2015_09_13_173811.jpg

Once I start seeing engineers and other non-combatants driving Arabian vehicles I know the victory is within reach.
2015_09_13_173856.jpg

But not before they make their final, desperate push. However, my tanks are there to delay them while the turrets do their job.
2015_09_13_174737.jpg

One neat trick I have come up with is baiting the vehicles in range of several turrets at once. Normally a vehicle and a turret start shooting at each other once they come into each other's range, and some of their vehicles - particularly rocket launcher ones - aren't good for my structures' integrity. What you can do is pull your soldier from the topmost turret away, causing the enemy to lose contact (since the turret is on the high ground and they can't see it unless it is firing at them) and come closer, in range of the second turret and the armory. That's when the soldier gets back in to obliterate the vehicle that suddenly finds itself caught between our defences.

Hey, I know you! Where do I know you from? :?
2015_09_13_175148.jpg

Steyer.jpg
- We are coming for you, losers! Surrender and we'll spare your lives!
Ah, you are Sheikh Omar's sweetheart from the American campaign. How about you join our harem instead?
Gorky.jpg
- You are the ones about to die.

Bold words, Heike, but you guys are running out of steam. That's the last one of you.
2015_09_13_174759.jpg

Still, we get a panicked message from one of ours.
2015_09_13_175332.jpg

Kuzmin.jpg
- We can’t survive much longer. If we don’t retreat now we are dead!
That would have been scary if they weren't all dead already. Get over your PTSD, comrade! :mad:
Gorky.jpg
- Not until the order. Many lives depend on us. Every second counts.

I distinctly remember this being a lot harder when I played this mission 10 years ago. Then again, I didn't have the Codex to guide me and steal every single fucking truck coming our way. :MI remember the Arabs launching an attack from the south where I have built the third armory, however, now that I think of it, there never was an invasion force from the south - it was just the northern forces, the ones that managed to break through, assaulting my position from another angle. This playthrough we killed them all en route, so there was no sudden attack from the backdoor.
2015_09_13_175534.jpg

Platonov_radio.jpg
- Comrade Gorky. We are leaving the area now but I cannot allow you to retreat yet. Comrade captain Timur Gaydar is heading towards you and has information that must survive.
Gorky.jpg
- As long we are alive we will give comrade Gaydar protection.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- Thank you comrade Burlak. Your bravery is supreme. For now you report to comrade captain Sergey I. Popov.
Gorky.jpg
- I wish you well, comrade major.

All is well that ends well. :salute:
2015_09_13_175611.jpg

Comrade Gaydar arrives soon after.
2015_09_13_180434.jpg

Gaydar.jpg
- This is captain Timur M. Gaydar calling base. We are in need of assistance.
Gorky.jpg
- Comrade Gorky here. We see you, comrade captain, and we’re on our way.
Gaydar.jpg
- Gorky? Who is your commander? (into radio)
Popov_Radio.jpg
- (over radio) Comrade Gorky is in charge of your rescue operation, comrade Gaydar. He will get you out.
Gaydar.jpg
- (mutters) He'd better hurry. It is death for us otherwise.

Relax, you drama queen. The worst is behind us already. We send out a soldier to meet him.
2015_09_13_175807.jpg

Gaydar.jpg
- What the hell kept you!? We could be dead!
I have picked you up 15 seconds after you showed up! What the hell did you want?! :argh:
Randomguy.jpg
- It wasn't easy, comrade captain.
It was easy, dammit! Gah, why are you indulging him?

While we escort the captain out, we are being ambushed and attacked... By a lvl0 mercenary. :lol: Is that what you were running from, captain?
2015_09_13_175912.jpg

None of the higher-ups can set their foot inside the base without trying to lecture us, eh?
2015_09_13_180015.jpg

Gaydar.jpg
- This was hardly a professional job Comrade Gorky.
My patience is running thin. And I thought Platonov was insufferable.
Gorky.jpg
- You are alive captain comrade...
But keep that attitude up and I can arrange for an accident or two.
Gaydar.jpg
- Only because of my will to survive! Left to you the Arabs would have killed us!
*sigh* We need to research the bulldozers ASAP.
Gorky.jpg
- What Arabs?
Oh, right. I am not supposed to know that, am I?
Gaydar.jpg
- These mercenaries do not work for themselves, they were assembled by the Arab nations.
Gorky.jpg
- This is news. So, I wonder what is their purpose.

Finally, the order to retreat comes.
Popov_Radio.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, you are now authorised to retreat. Don’t leave buildings or supplies for the enemy to use.
Gorky.jpg
- We shall destroy them before we leave, comrade commander.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- Do not allow the enemy to follow. Lose them in the forest before you come to the meeting point. (Area revealed on the map) And take good care of captain Gaydar. He must survive.

I wonder what's up with the constant reminders. Maybe the captain has a history. Maybe the Arabs wanted to kill him because he was a douche to them, too.

Primary objectives received:
- Take captain Gaydar to the meeting point.
- Retreat to the meeting point. No enemy must be visible when you arrive.
- Destroy your base so it cannot be used by the enemy.

Anyway, we begin dismantling the base, as much as it pains me to part with all the stolen treasure.
2015_09_13_181513.jpg

One by one, the structures disappear from the map. We had borrowed 700 crates, but after everything is said and done we are left with just 300.
2015_09_13_181949.jpg

The armory is the last one to be disassembled, after I change some of my men into soldiers. An odd mercenary still sneaks up on us now and then, but they are all easily dispatched.
2015_09_13_182117.jpg

I pick up a few crates. Can't leave all of muh loot behind! :negative:
2015_09_13_182141.jpg

And with that, we are off.
2015_09_13_182205.jpg

Mission Accomplished.
2015_09_13_182230.jpg

+ Few casualties.
+ Great losses inflicted on the enemy.
+ The base was dismantled before abandoning it.

The intermission screen.
2015_09_13_182350.jpg

An afterword.
I am a bit surprised at how easy the mission was. I remember Arabian attacks being more massive in scope. Maybe it's the 4 gun turrets. There were about 20 Arabian vehicles in total... I suppose if you let some of them through, the final push would seem much larger as you would suddenly encounter all of the survivors at once, and there might be casualties.
2015_09_13_184009.jpg

Also, for those who are wondering, this is what happens if you steal one truck too many (this was on the previous page):

Arrest
You were arrested for the theft of socialist property.

Platonov.jpg
- You have no respect for your commanders, comrade Gorky. This will not be tolerated. You are under arrest.

Funnily, the game acknowledges what you did or did not do in the 2nd mission (whether you saved Belkov and/or shown proper initiative during the attack), and has 4 different lines commenting on your failure, but it does not affect the result in the slightest. :decline:

It would have been much more interesting if the number of trucks you are allowed to divert was dependent on your standing with your superiors.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Interlude.

Comrade colonel Platonov, huh?

Mission 5. Water is Wide.

Interlude.
2015_09_14_002249.jpg

West by North from former S. M. Kirov base; June 6, 2 NR
The panicked retreat from the mercenaries has now become calmer. The Russians are adapting to the concept of two enemies while Burlak is dispatched to learn more about the Arab mission.

Wait, whose idea was to mount a scouting expedition with just machine gun tanks?
2015_09_14_002251.jpg

Platonov_radio.jpg
- Comrade Gorky, our base, V. A. Ovsyenko is under attack from Americans. It cannot fall into their hands. Ovsyenko controls one of the Alaskite mines.
Gorky.jpg
- We have enemy contact, comrade colonel. We cannot move without being seen.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- That is what you have to do! You are ordered to proceed West immediately! Do you understand me, comrade!?
Gorky.jpg
- Understood, comrade colonel.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- Good. I will be able to assist you with the route as captain Bukov has scanned this area recently. Proceed directly to the West.

Looks like we are going to have a few problems getting there.
2015_09_14_002314.jpg

Okay, screw that. We are going to have a lot of problems.
2015_09_14_002317.jpg

We should have surrendered in the last mission while we still could. :negative:
2015_09_14_002321.jpg

"Position unsure". The best way to start a new mission. :salute:
2015_09_14_002328.jpg

Position unsure; June 7, 2 NR.
Russian base V. A. Ovsyenko is under American attack. Burlak had to cancel his reconnaissance mission against Arabs and hastens to relieve the besieged base.
V.S. Ovsyenko. Does it sound familiar? The more attentive among you might remember...
2014_11_09_165219.jpg

Gamma base; October 19, ERA + 1
A Russian base with a Siberite mine fell into your hands. You will now have to secure enough of the precious mineral to propel the research of Siberite technologies.

2014_11_09_193502.jpg
:bunkertime:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Mission 5. Water is Wide.
But first, we need to get there. Which is, as we soon discower, is not a trivial task.

We find ourselves on the riverbed - exhausted, low on fuel, and with the parts falling off our vehicles. Our raid inside the Arabian territory did not go off without a hitch, it seems.
2015_09_16_203617.jpg

Gorky.jpg
- (into radio) Comrade Platonov, we cannot continue. The river is blocking our path.
Platonov_radio.jpg
- (over radio) There should be no river, comrade Gorky.
Of course. Now we only neet it to acknowledge the fact and let the waters part.
Gorky.jpg
- Comrade colonel, it is here and we cannot cross it with vehicles. We have Arabians on our heels. What can you suggest?
Platonov_radio.jpg
- The data clearly show a path to the East that heads directly here. You had better look a bit harder, comrade Lieutenant.
If we live through this, captain Bukov Susanin is so dead.

Meet our team!
2015_09_16_204630.jpg

5_Karamazov.jpg
- Oh, shit! We are south of FUBAR!

Private Karamazov. A pessimistic fellow, if a bit boring. A decent engineer, but isn't suitable for anything else.

5_Petrovova.jpg
- (to Burlak) Why don't we just cross without the vehicles.

Corp. Natalia Petrovova. A very promising all-rounder of Siberian origins, with a militaristic temperament and a YOLO streak. Probably a tsundere, too, seeing how her only comment about winning the campaign is that you could have done worse. :|

5_Lipshchin.jpg
- Arabs would get us in no time.

Corp. Lipshchin. A good, pragmatic soldier who has his head firmly on his shoulders.

5_Karamazov.jpg
- Platonov has dropped us in the shit. The stupid b-...
5_Gleb.jpg
- Shut up and think will you! We have to get out of this.

Comrade commissar Oleg K. Gleb, because what an army would we be without one? Of course, the developers couldn't think of any other way of distinguishing him from other characters but to make him into the least likeable one - and not through his personality, which might grow on you, but through his shrill, high-pitched, and absolutely unbearable voice. If you drag a nail across a piece of glass you will still be hearing a more pleasant sound. I highly doubt it was a coincidence, giving that they have coded a special failure state for the poor guy. :(
The game said:
You can't just kill political commissars. Try sending him to the front line next time.
Anyway, I'll try to keep him alive, if only for one hilarious interaction far into the future. :M

Gorky.jpg
- Comrade Gleb is right. Stop talking and let's get to work. We have a little time and Ovsyenko base is relying on us.
We are also developing nicely, though our scientific skills are sadly lacking. We need to spend more time in the labs.

Primary objective received:
- Reach the South West corner of the map with one vehicle for each of your men. You will need tracked chassis in order to get there.
- At least 6 of your men must survive.
Secondary objective received:
- Act as fast as possible.

Brilliant. Nothing lifts the spirits quite like survival for a primary objective.

Let me be crystal clear. I hate this mission with a passion. It is not just hard, but notoriously so, and having a time limit on one of the objectives does not help it any. I managed to do it correctly before, and in one sitting, even, but it requires so many factors to go in your favor - or rather, so many small things not to screw you over - that marathoning it is not good for anyone's mental health. Don't hold your breath for all the medals. :M

Well, let's see what lies across the river.
2015_09_16_220443.jpg

Gorky.jpg
-
Look, the monkeys are here too. They are vicious bastards. I wonder how Yanks train them?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- If we have somewhere to do research we can do the same as Americans. Imperialist scientists are no match for Soviets.

Meet captain Petrosyan. He and Lazar Dolgov are the only dedicated scientists on our team, and genius ones at that. He is absolutely right. Soviet scientists are ridiculously overpowered.

We, as a mechanic of 5th level need 11000 exp to level up once again. Look at Dolgov's stats above. He only needs 3000. Essentially he comes with 4 free levels of scientist, 2 levels of driver and god knows what else. By the end of the campaign the scientists I dragged with me through the missions were better mechanics than the protagonist himself! Not many can develop a bleeding edge level weapon of mass destruction on wheels and drive it like a boss at the same time.

I guess this is all a part of the game. Certain skills are harder for some people to develop than the others, and it is up to the player to notice which ones are best taught to which people. Some of the soviet medics just happen to be exceptionally talented in everything they do, requiring very little exp to level up and hitting level cap long before the campaign ends.

Alright. Time to do some base-building. Looks like we are going to be here for a while. Better dig in deep before the Arabians come.
2015_09_16_205031.jpg

While building the armory, we hear materialization booms all around the place, but don't really see a lot of crates. Curious where they all arrive to, we check the narrow ford to the south, and hit a jackpot!
2015_09_16_205727.jpg

5_Lipshchin.jpg
- Look, a shipment has arrived, just south of the river. We must bring it to base.
Gorky.jpg
- It will be good, as long as we can avoid mercenaries.
5_Lipshchin.jpg
- If only we could transport crates here somehow.

Well, we can. On foot. But that's a bit too chancy, giving that the Arabs patrol the area regularly. Thankfully, due to the superb sound feedback in the game I can hear their vehicles approaching long before they arrive, and hide. However, this would not be a very productive use of our time, which we don't really have.

Cpt. Petrosyan reminds us of something we could do to ease our pain.
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Comrade commander, we need a laboratory to conduct our research. Even Soviet scientists cannot progress far without equipment.

Alright, alright. One Lab coming up!
2015_09_16_205558.jpg

Let's see what you and your pals can cook up. One quick session later...
2015_09_16_205745.jpg

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Comrade commander, Soviet scientists have decoded the language of Homo Siberitis. We are ready to try and tame them.
Gorky.jpg
- Good. What do you need from me?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Just armed backup in case there are problems; that is all.
Gorky.jpg
- You need armoured vehicles?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- That will not be necessary. It would only scare the Apemen.
Gorky.jpg
- I don't see any problem, then. What did you call them… Apemen?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Apemen! This is a new scientific term, comrade!

I see. Very inventive of you. :salute: Well, take your colleague and go to where we last saw the apes to do your recruitment schtick.
2015_09_16_205954.jpg

Meanwhile I'll be honing my carpenter skills by constructing a hidden armory. I want to keep everything compact in case of a surprise attack, so I build it right next to the Lab.
2015_09_16_215857.jpg

We hear a materialization boom to the north and switch our attention there. Only this time, that wasn't a crate. It's a man, and not of the right sort.
2015_09_16_210140.jpg

5_Dolgov.jpg
- Hey! Another Yank! Say goodbye to Mickey Mouse, soldier!
Heh, those Russian scientists are pretty brutal. :cool: Dolgov whips out a pistol and takes a good aim.

2015_09_16_210157.jpg

5_Stevens.jpg
- (in English) Don't shoot, please! I'm not a soldier! I’m a scientist - professor Stevens!
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- I know him! Don't shoot! (continues in English) Professor Stevens, I am a Soviet scientist. We met in Berlin, your lecture on stealth radar.
5_Stevens.jpg
- I don’t know what you’re talking about...
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- You are professor Hugh Stevens, from Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena?
5_Stevens.jpg
- Yes, but I’ve never lectured in Berlin. I haven’t been there since the wall came down.
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- What wall?
5_Stevens.jpg
- The one that your East-German comrades built.
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- There was no wall. I don’t know what you’re talking about. Come, I must take you to my commander. We will resolve this later. (Stevens starts following Petrosyan)

You might remember prof. Stevens from the American campaign. It's the guy who single-handedly developed the Alaskite bomb... well, he had to, since most of his colleagues have defected to the Alliance. That's a nice catch. But that's for later. Right now we have a more important business.

Monkey hunting!
2015_09_16_210327.jpg

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Comrade commander, we made an important breakthrough. Let me present new volunteer for the Red Army Pliocene Group.
Gorky.jpg
- Welcome, comrade Apeman.

Also, look at Stevens' stats. He is a cheater, too. Level 5 scientists and level 4 driver with just 1000 exp requirement for the next level. Clearly, he is Soviet scientist material.

All in all, exploring all nooks and crannies of a northern shore nets me 4 more fighters for the common cause, who are willing to sacrifice their lives to drive the foreign invaders away from their homeland. :salute:
2015_09_16_211202.jpg

But all fun things come to an end, and eventually we have to return back to base, with Stevens in tow.
2015_09_16_210827.jpg

5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Comrade commander, this is American scientist, Dr Stevens.
Gorky.jpg
- So why is he breathing?
As always, Burlak moves straight to the crux of the issue. :cool:
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- I knew him, or at least I thought I did. I think he has important information.

Choice ti-...
2015_09_16_210905.jpg

Actually, nevermind, no way I am trusting Azira with this one. :M

Gorky.jpg
- What kind of information?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- He seems to have different memories of the world he left behind. It seems a different future from the one we come from. Even Soviet scientists are baffled.
Gorky.jpg
- All right, take him to depot, I'll interrogate him later. (Stevens walks to depot and enters – he switches side to Burlak's).

You need to question them, first! However, once that is done...
2015_09_16_211215.jpg

...and once we give our local bleeding heart something to busy himself with...
Gorky.jpg
- Now you have the specimen you need what areas will you explore?
5_Petrosyan.jpg
- Either we can teach him how to work, or use weapons. Either way, it is no problem.
Gorky.jpg
- Good. I will let you know what we require.

...then we get to choose.
Gorky.jpg
- (letting Hugh out of the depot) So what shall we do with this American? He’s told me all I want to know.
2015_09_16_211318.jpg

w3HrfaI.png
or :killit:?

You decide!

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Return him to the gulag depot, of course. Russian's hospitality is the best! :troll:

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
He will create the alaskite bomb? Well.... of course, we should let him go. :troll:

MZeta

Scholar
I say let him go. what could possibly go wrong with a simple scientist? :cool:

Nevill

Arcane
Ok, ok, I get the hint. I'll update this week. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom