Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Kayerts

Arcane
1 C
2 I feel like we should go with Tnacrem Kcirdre to REALLY challenge the heroes. Simply rearranging the letters might not trick them, we must go with the maximally duplicitous anagram: our name spelled backwards. It's the literal opposite of the truth. Then we shall have a straightforward path to victory via the infallible mechanism of giving our foes cursed rings.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't come up with anything better than 'Dick, Merc Errant'.

I'd like to have a dick in our name as to not forget who we are and why we are in this business, and if there are knights errant, why not mercenaries? :M

...we need more suggestions. :negative:

lightbane

Arcane
Question: Why does Erd have to run away if he wants to get out of here with a non-violent solution? He can just cast the Sleep/Fear spell and calmly walk away, or even take the chance to test his new gauntlet to do a multiple takedown.

Changing the topic, this might be interesting for the readers here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1552912590/fellowship-a-tabletop-adventure-game
Go on a quest to defeat the evil overlord threatening your world. Define your people and build the world you must save, together.
Fellowship is a game about going on an adventure, in the same vein as Lord of the Rings or Wakfu or The Legend of Zelda. One player is the Overlord, a maniacal being bent on world domination or destruction, and everyone else forms a fellowship of heroes to stop them. The focus of Fellowship is on the journey you take and the communities you meet, and saving the day is what you're here to do. Fellowship is an RPG about being heroes and champions in a world that is falling apart.

Every single player in Fellowship has a massive amount of narrative control. You are playing as a hero, a champion of your people, and you are the truth in all things related to your people. [...] One player is the Overlord, the one attempting to destroy this world, and they create a character just like everyone else does. They also have narrative control over their armies and their culture. They play by different rules than the other players, and will do their best to make sure saving the world is an epic journey and a fun challenge.

Nevill

Arcane
Why does Erd have to run away if he wants to get out of here with a non-violent solution? He can just cast the Sleep/Fear spell and calmly walk away
How would that be any different from the overall result?

lightbane

Arcane
How would that be any different from the overall result?

The fact that knocking them out will prevent them from immediately telling their comrades/bosses about us, we won't look weak in front of Rin and the newcomer, Erd will have a chance to show off a glimpse of his power and, lastly but not least, there will be a chance to loot recover what little stuff of interest these thugs carry (they may have something that gives us a clue of what's really happening). Granted, all of this can be done with C as well, but not killing them ensures Erd does not have a murder-boner which can go out of control.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Don't really see the difference. Why would them telling 'immediately' be important? We have accepted that the information will get out there, with B or C.

Why is 'looking weak' in front of Rin even a concern? I am pretty sure you do not show your strength by pretending to battle 6 street punks when you can murder a hundred of them with a flick of a wrist. Hell, Aria could probably fight them off by herself. That's hardly an achievement.

And finally, why showing a glimpse of our power is a good thing? I'd keep it until the other side makes their own move, carelessly overestimating their capabilities. That way it would turn into a nasty surprise for them. One of my goals is still to have blackmail material on the governor. Let's give him enough rope to hang himself with.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Next Move

A muttered incantation and an invisibility spell later, the men are shouting in panic about magic. One of them brings out a small, pink gem. Magnatite? You do not stay around to find out what it does. Grabbing the woman by her hood, you make your escape. You reach the top of a nearby wall with a single jump, and from there you bounce off to an adjacent rooftop.

“I see, I see. Those limbs pack some impressive force, to leap so high while carrying another person. The explosive power is tremendous, beyond that of most humans. With a big enough wingspan, you might even be able to propel yourself into the air and fly,” she observes as you drag her across the roof. “What kind of non-human are you, by the way?”

“What kind do you think I am?”

“I can’t tell from the scent. It is a really interesting one. It isn’t human, but it is unlike anything I have ever encountered, and I have had samples from every non-human race known to exist. Harpies, demons, dragons, even the rare angel.”

“Angel, huh.” You lean over the edge of the roof, looking at the quiet streets below. You should return to the inn quickly, while they have lost your trail.

Back at the inn, you find that Rin has swiftly gathered up the twins and Runde, and is even now perched on the bed with a haughty look. “I suppose you cannot walk down the street without getting into trouble of any sort, eh?”

“What you call trouble, I call opportunity. Anyway, good job bringing them back before I even asked you to,” you say.

“Of course. It’s only natural for one with my level of competence,” brags Rin.

“Says the one who got into a bar fight over an overly handsy old man,” mutters Aria, scowling.

“Oh, I wouldn’t even call it a fight.” Rin shakes her finger in a dismissive gesture.

“D-Don’t worry,” Arlin says quickly. “No one died, Master Erdrick.”

“Probably,” shrugs Rin. “So, who’s the woman that you picked up?”

The woman speaks without waiting for you to introduce her. “Zayan Matroube Reshia XIII. I am the genius that you have been searching for,” she says confidently.

“How do we know that you’re the real Zayan?” you ask.

“After taking me all the way home? That is so very cruel! Ah, suspicions of my identity. That will be hard to disprove without demonstrating my ability, I take it? Very well. Can I borrow that mug?”

It is the inn’s mug, but you see no harm in letting her do so.

The woman grabs the mug and places it on the floor. Crouching down, she brings out a small bag of tools from under her cloak and begins tinkering with the mug, giggling ominously. You hear whirring and cracking noises coming from her work.

“Are you sure about this?” whispers Rin, sidling up next to you.

The woman is done a few minutes later, and the mug has been reshaped slightly to add a strange lid on top, with a tube poking out of it.

“Here, girl, catch.” She tosses the mug to Aria, who snatches it out of the air expertly. “Look at the side of the mug, under the handle. Do you see three buttons?”

“Yeah. Do you want me to press them?”

“Aria, wait.”

Before Aria can do anything rash, you take the mug from her and place several protective spells around everyone in the room, except for the woman.

“Aha, you don’t trust me, do you? How disappointing,” she sighs. “But I understand, safety is paramount in an experiment.”

Turning around, you hand the mug to Runde. “Exactly. That is why you should do it.”

“M-Me? Why, Shining One?” groans the goblin.

“Hm? Is that a complaint I hear?” you chuckle.

“Of course not! This life is yours!” bows the loyal goblin.

Well, if anything is about to go wrong, Runde has a better magical instinct and control over his powers to stop it from happening, compared to Aria.

“If we are done picking test subjects, then you, goblin! Press the top-most button.”

“Do as she says, Runde,” you nod.

Whimpering, Runde presses the button. A jet of flame shoots up into the air, scorching the ceiling. He almost drops the mug in surprise.

“Keep holding on to it. Press the next button.”

He does so. The flame comes under control, burning and wavering as it takes the form of a blade.

“S-Should I press the third button?” asks Runde.

“Only if you want the mug to explode and destroy the inn with it. If not, you can let go of all the buttons.”

His cat-eyes still wide from the shock, he carefully releases the buttons and sets down the mug, inching away from it carefully. Meanwhile, the ceiling of the room is on fire. You let out an irritable sigh and freeze the flames with a wave of your hand.

“If I have more time and better tools, I could construct an exponentially better prototype, obviously. Now, I believe that I should have proved that beyond the name of Zayan, I am obviously an extraordinary inventor in my own right. Is that not so?”

You pick up the mug yourself, looking at its construction. It is strange, and you are unable to make sense of it at first glance – how does it even do what it did? Perhaps this is what makes her a genius.

“Alright then. So… Zayan.”

“Yes,” she grins.

“Before we decide what to do, I need to know what you were doing. Why were you on the run from the governor’s men incognito?”

“That’s simple. They were going to deport me back to Dijeh, obviously.”

“And that is a fate worse than death? Did you run afoul of royalty? Turn one of them into a frog?”

“Oh, I wish that were so! That would certainly be a lot more interesting than what they are trying to do. Can you believe it? They said my experiments were unethical! They were trying to unreasonably restrict what I could and couldn’t do!”

“And… w-what were those restrictions?” asks Arlin, a frightened expression fixed on his face.

“No more tests on prisoners. Unbelievable, isn’t it? They were scheduled to die anyway, whether it was a fast or slow death. I could have made so much more of their lives than anything they had accomplished so far, not to mention the years they are going to waste rotting in some Dijehnese sand-hole!”

“What manner of experiments were you conducting?” you ask.

“I am trying to create the ultimate life-form,” grins Zayan proudly. “A task fitting for my intellect.”

At that, Rin appears to perk up, her eyes narrowing. She asks, “Zayan, have you made any progress there? Give me the details.”

“What are you asking that for? What would you know? You look like a vapid airhead, all looks and no brains,” snorts Zayan dismissively.

“Rin.” You quickly interject before another argument breaks out. “Now’s really not the time. You can pick her brains later. Zayan, continue your tale.”

“Aye aye,” shrugs the woman, pushing up her slipping lenses. “Now, this, uh, Crown Prince of Methuss, I think, offered me a place to work as much as I wanted if I would join his side. All I had to do for unlimited funding and freedom was to make a mining machine for him. It’s not being built yet, but the blueprints are already complete. I planned to take advantage of this visit to defect, but it looks like he didn’t manage to get the governor on his side.”

“So the governor is trying to return you to Dijeh, and avoid an international incident…”

“Yes, that much is obvious. If I defect, Dijeh will be very unhappy. So will my family, but I never liked those doddering fools anyway. They have no foresight, I tell you.”

“What of the rumours about the mining machine? You say that it is not yet built, but on the streets people are saying that it is near completion.”

“Ah… that. To be honest, I know nothing about that,” says Zayan seriously. “I can only assume someone with knowledge of the blueprints leaked it for some purpose and are fanning the rumours, but it is not me. Why would I make my presence in this town any more difficult than it already is?”

“Could it be the governor?” Aria speaks up. “He would know of the machine, wouldn’t he?”

“Possible, if he wants to play himself up as a hero for chasing out Zayan,” you reply. “Well spotted, Aria.”

She beams in pride.

“Now, what should we do?” you wonder. You have the initiative at the moment, with Zayan in your hands. To avoid losing it, you will need to act swiftly.

A. You flee Ontoglia. It is quite well-defended, but there are a few ways by which you can leave the place, and it should be easy to vanish even if they are searching for you. Best not to risk staying here any longer than you have to.

B. You approach the governor before he finds you. If he is betraying the Crown Prince’s orders, that sounds like a mighty fine reason for blackmail to work. You aren’t leaving Ontoglia before extracting whatever you need from it.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nope, we want Zayan to work for us, it would be good to have her safely squirreled away. We can return once we have a new disguise.
A

Nevill

Arcane
“Says the one who got into a bar fight over an overly handsy old man,” mutters Aria, scowling.

“Oh, I wouldn’t even call it a fight.” Rin shakes her finger in a dismissive gesture.

“D-Don’t worry,” Arlin says quickly. “No one died, Master Erdrick.”
Aww. You guys are no fun.

“Oh, I wish that were so! That would certainly be a lot more interesting than what they are trying to do. Can you believe it? They said my experiments were unethical! They were trying to unreasonably restrict what I could and couldn’t do!”
I like where this is going. Although I'd suggest Zayan to quickly develop some self-preservation instincts because I am not going to keep Rin from having a laugh or two if she calls her an airhead again. Us? Well, we have the stats to earn that right!

Hmm, the Crown Prince of Methuss, huh? Can't be Farland, now can it? Depriving miners of their bread sounds decidedly unpaladinish. Not a bad cause, though, since if anyone hesitated over such things Industrial Revolutions would never happen.

However, we have a signet that proves our connection to the Royal House of Yuiry. Who cares for a little pesky detail where it came from? All the governor needs to know is that he - and his family - are a pair of words away from playing hangman or worse. :M

Now, if a bit of magnatite goes missing, just enough for Zayan to get her research in ultimate life forms underway and for us to get our girl-shaped familiar, everyone can part with happy memories and look forward towards our next meeting, right?

B, duh.

I wonder if we could have done that with C in the previous choice, or if our readiness to kill people left and right would have tipped the governor off as to who we may be working for.

I imagine the naming vote is ongoing? Or have we settled for Trider?
lightbane F
Smashing Axe H (Trider Mccraken)
Nevill F
Gobblecock H (Mr. Recreant Dick)
Azira H (Trider Mccraken)
Jester C>H (Trider Mccraken)
Elfberserker F
archaen H (Trider Mccraken)
Lambchop19 H (Trider Mccraken)
Grimgravy H (Trider Mccraken)
ScubaV C>H (Trider Mccraken)
Rex Feral A
Kz3r0 G
Kayerts H (Tnacrem Kcirdre)
Esquilax H (Trider Mccraken)

A - 1
C - 2
F - 3
G - 1
H (Trider Mccraken) - 6
H (Mr. Recreant Dick) - 1
H (Tnacrem Kcirdre) - 1

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
B
Why not? Even thought I have a feeling that this magnitide will be some sort of magicians kryptons, but we do have more ways to handle problem than magic.
I suspect that barbarossa will have enjoyable evening:lol:

I wonder, if there are more sides to this plot than crown prince of methuss and the governer? I wonder, if barzam is involved in this or any other nation?
That drilling machine does wonders to mining production after all.

Esquilax

Arcane
I'm not sure that attempting blackmail on the governor is a great idea. His men are alive, are aware that we are a skilled mage, and we're in a fortress full of mineral that can absorb magic with a primarily magical skill-set. We don't have the element of surprise in our favour either; if we gave up Zayan to the governor, it would be different and he might be less suspecting of us if we decided to betray him, but I can't help but feel that we have all the cards against us in this situation.

A for now. (Trider McCracken)

Nevill

Arcane
I can't say I am very convinced with Zayan's words, though.

How does the governor intend to claim being an hero for driving Zayan off, offering a reward for her capture, and still maintain his position? He must be acting against the Crown Prince's orders... but since he does so almost openly (by which I mean 'in a way that can be traced back to him'), I would have to assume that he has sufficient backing in this. I am not sure how effective blackmail would be if it turns out that it is, in fact, the Crown Prince who is scheming against the better judgement of his father. :M

Something here is rottten, and it would be nice to find out what. If it's the governor, we can use it against him. If it's the prince... well, I think we might want to get to know him better then.

His men are alive, are aware that we are a skilled mage, and we're in a fortress full of mineral that can absorb magic with a primarily magical skill-set.
I think this has been debunked since the Battle of Erise. It is a preferred skillset, not a primary one.

The DEMONZ in the glove would not mind a bit of exercise.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B
I want magic ore. Could we ask Zayan about the ore's properties? It seemed like those guards were going to use it on us?

Were details about the ore revealed somewhere that I missed?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I imagine the naming vote is ongoing? Or have we settled for Trider?

We will be going with Trider Mccraken, but since there are no Scottish people around to tell us how Mc is pronounced, it'll sound like Trider Muhchacraken and you can expect most people to spell it that way.

I want magic ore. Could we ask Zayan about the ore's properties? It seemed like those guards were going to use it on us?

Were details about the ore revealed somewhere that I missed?

It absorbs and releases magic. The details are in the bandit update and the first Ontoglia update.

Nevill

Arcane
Macho Kraken is fine, too. :M

But we should pronounce it correctly. If there is no Scotland in this world, we will create one, even if we had to use funny spelling as a basis for statehood! :outrage:

P.S. Also, Rumors of Zayan is missing from the chapter index.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
A - Let's get our evil genius back to goblin land, set her, up and put her to work.

Kipeci

Arcane
A - She's amazing! Supporting her science is probably the grayest we'll get from this point onward, it gets us nice things, and we don't give the governor here the time and opportunity to strike at us.

Jester

Arbiter
Expected something more like muhcracken.

Well i wonder about crown prince nr. Our was 6th, or something like that?

vote A

lightbane

Arcane
So Zayan is a self-aware mad doctor/scientist, complete with super-advanced SCIENCE which is practically its own form of magic. She's also non-human or experimented on herself to have such good sense of smell. Good thing this setting doesn't have some sort of "consensual reality" bullshit that only exists to limit mages while all other supernatural creatures are unnafected. :M Anyway, I vote B. We can ask Rin to momentarily teleport back to the village to drop our prize to safety. Once that's done we can attempt to blackmail the governor and other fun stuff.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A means you leave Ontoglia. Zayan will be dropped back at the goblins while you proceed to the capital.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom