Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
Finnish translations at least are based on the original Polish versions.
:smug:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, cool, just waiting for a patch that would actually fix all those bugs that were created with the previous patches and have been there for months now.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
A trusted mate at work said he has Witcher 3 and it's a good game.

I asked if he played the previous two and he hadn't. My impression of W1 was pure vomit.

In W2 I found myself in prison early on and managed to get out of my cell.

In the next room I found some weapons and tried to grab them. They fell on the floor. I WAS NOT ABLE TO GET THEM. They were items but not items. They were phantom weapons. They took up space in the world and I was able to touch them and push them to the floor. I could not pick them up.

My Witcher character - an expert fighter with weapons and what not - could not pick up a weapon on the floor. Maybe he did enough bending over in the prison already.

The Codex ridicules Skyrim and Oblivion and all that - but at least if you can see a weapon, touch a weapon, you can pick up a weapon. If you go into a building it looks like a building with SPACE and rooms and floors. Unlike those 1x1 cells that I had to search through in W2 to find a way into the place where the King's children were.

At least when it looks like you can move somewhere - you can actually move there unlike W2 where I was on a castle and asked by the king to take out a catapult and then find there is only one possible path to it even though it looks like there are many paths to it.

I just wish there was a spell to show me the shitty corridor so I know and don't waste my time exploring, you know, as you normally do in RPG.

The game FORCED me to fight with my fists and put out a bunch of torches so it became dark.

I then realised W2 was a bunch of corridors connected by cut scenes of large breasts. I puked into a bag.

I also realised the corridors in fact were quite small. Cleverly disguised by some mad genius so they look HUGE.

I am beginning to hate the constant crap about C&C I read in these forums as in the Codex review "Choice and consequence are frequent in both the main quest and the side/bounty quests - the options rarely break the limit of being binary, perhaps, but the strength of Witcher 3's C&C is not in per-quest variety or material reward - it's in the writing and acting dedicated to the choices; it's in the frequently interesting morality issues, and it's in the short-term and long-term consequence, and as such, it is a great deal more satisfying than a simple reward of a pile of gold coins a-la BioWare's masterful prose-crafting, or Pillars of Eternity's wondrous infodumps"

When I was playing Bards Tale, Ultima IV, M&M, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Ultima Underworld, Magic Candle, Larn, Nethack, Alternative Reality, blah blah -

I went a whole lifetime without hearing C&C, that stuff meant Command and Conquer.

Corridors, when did the crap did that stuff creep into our beloved genre? Knights of the Republic, Jade Empire?

Recently I played Lords of Xulima, Arx Fatalis, M&M Legacy, Shadow Run Dragonfall, Risen, Wizardry 8, Grimrock 2 ETC

Even Banner Saga is better.

Aarggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Question - how comes Witcher 1 comes 24th on the all-time list?

Question - should I buy W3?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Lord Azlan

Obviously not everyone on the Dex has the same tastes as you.

Nope. It's basically a Witcher 2 with some changed to combat and a bigger world. Absolutely not for people who didn't enjoy TW2.

Thank you. You are right we don't all have the same tastes and its frustrating to see games get reviews of 9/10 or something but then I realise I won't enjoy them.

The Witcher series has already fooled me twice so as G Bush says - third time means Mission Over for me - no more Witchers.

On to Divinity OS next...

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Thank you. You are right we don't all have the same tastes and its frustrating to see games get reviews of 9/10 or something but then I realise I won't enjoy them.

The Witcher series has already fooled me twice so as G Bush says - third time means Mission Over for me - no more Witchers.

On to Divinity OS next...

Yeah, I'd say you'd be pretty retarded to buy a thing instalment of a franchise you didn't like and expect it to be enjoyable.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
The Codex ridicules Skyrim and Oblivion and all that - but at least if you can see a weapon, touch a weapon, you can pick up a weapon. If you go into a building it looks like a building with SPACE and rooms and floors. Unlike those 1x1 cells that I had to search through in W2 to find a way into the place where the King's children were.

That is a feature of a sandbox game. TW2 is not a sandbox game.

Corridors, when did the crap did that stuff creep into our beloved genre? Knights of the Republic, Jade Empire?

Since forever? Did you arrived at least in the first area, or you stopped playing in the prologue?

Question - how comes Witcher 1 comes 24th on the all-time list?

Because what the most important thing in an RPG is the quest design. And well, Vizima Confidential?

Question - should I buy W3?

Nope.

Prime Junta

W1 had a whole bunch of other awesome and inspired and generally cool as fuck bits. Along with some boneheadedly stupid stuff.

W3 has occasional flashes of brilliance as well, and avoids most of the really bad mistakes W1 and 2 made, but way more of it is just mediocre. It's not a complete washout by any means, but I liked even W2 better, QTE bossfights and all.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't feel like making a new thread since it might be bullshit, but a supposed scoop by DSOGaming claims that:

According to CD Projekt RED’s employee, Electronic Arts representatives are currently visiting CD Projekt RED and meeting with the top management.

“I’m employee of CDProjekt Red and I have some bad news to share with you. Our management is probably talking with Electronic Arts about potential take over. Electronic Arts representatives are currently visiting our studio and meeting with top management. We are not going to release any game soon, so for sure it’s not about any publishing deal, so the only possible reason for EA guys being here is that they want to buy us.”

Another one bites the dust?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Didn't feel like making a new thread since it might be bullshit, but a supposed scoop by DSOGaming claims that:

Another one bites the dust?

I am expecting a Notch like statement of "2 billion dollars, that is my price" if this happens.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
Very troubling news if true, I've lost count of the number of development studios that have been ruined by EA.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
UPDATE:

CD Projekt RED’s Marcin Momot responded to this rumor, suggesting that it’s false. Do note that Marcin Momot also denied the downgrade rumors surrounding The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt prior to the game’s release. Whether this is a damage control or not remains to be seen.

Gerrard

Arcane
Someone should remind them. I know from the games they have serious problems with remembering things.

iPd5G30.jpg

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
An intrepid soul used witcher senses to locate the spot where Johnny gloriously defecates in the morning. Love this kind of attention to detail.

6CqdZnE.png

Telengard

Arcane
Doesn't CDPotato also own GOG? How would that work, they only buying CDPR?
If EA wanted CDPR and didn't want GOG, then GOG would be spun off into a separate company, and it would then go its own way while the merger/acquisition occurred without it. Or alternatively, EA might be looking to expand into the sphere that GOG currently controls by acquiring GOG and merging it with the EA store while ignoring CDPR.

Old Hans

Arcane
Overall I had a good time finishing this game, but man, there are some really half ass systems in place here. Shit that only got worse from witcher 2. Dumb monster trophies with pointless little bonuses, legendary swords that kill gods, but its only level 11 so fuck that shit (this happens A LOT).

I thought Witcher 1 made it clear, if there's a silver sword laying around, its probably a big deal. Now its Amazon.com silver swords half off, buy 2 get 1 free. So much gamey shit. Crossbows underwater, sure why not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom