Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The sad ending made me sad - spoilers, ofc

Beowulf

Arcane
I would say that also Choice 5 makes sense, especially considering the books and their depiction of Ciri's ending journey of reward and retribution.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I always spoiled Ciri, she'd led a hard enough life when young, never really having a childhood or what other kids would think of as a normal upbringing. So I always chose the indulgent option, give her a little respite from running between worlds and being the chosen one of destiny, so for me when I got the Empress ending it fit. Only thing I did "wrong" initially was go with her to the Lodge meeting, not gonna leave her with those fucking cutthroat shrews.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I would say that also Choice 5 makes sense, especially considering the books and their depiction of Ciri's ending journey of reward and retribution.

True. 2 out of 5.

I always spoiled Ciri, she'd led a hard enough life when young, never really having a childhood or what other kids would think of as a normal upbringing. So I always chose the indulgent option, give her a little respite from running between worlds and being the chosen one of destiny, so for me when I got the Empress ending it fit. Only thing I did "wrong" initially was go with her to the Lodge meeting, not gonna leave her with those fucking cutthroat shrews.

Patriarch scum!?

Last edited:

Frozen

Arcane
I didn't like this ending because its almost like trololol game over you failed.
All of the endings go to a certain extent off in terms of games philosophy of not having good or bad but in between.
All of 3 endings should have good and bad in it. That's why I like the empress ending the most. It seems more realistic.
This ending would be perfect if it was some sort of messiah self sacrifice end where she defeat the white frost but dies. In other 2 you should be able to talk her out of it.
And to me its not a sad ending. Potatoes left it deliberately vague because you know...there is some idiot out there who would kill himself if the sad end was like the scene when Geralt and Ciri reunite.

Sodafish

Arcane
It also had a nice little moral dilemma between choosing to help Ciri or staying true to Geralt's principles. On my second playthrough I beat up one of her friends, which was kind of a shitty thing to do and made me feel like a real asshole, much more so than not visiting Skjall's grave for example, yet it amounted to pretty much nothing in the end. Wonder what the thought process behind that was.

I didn't feel bad about that asshole. I tried to give him every other option, including paying for the horses myself, but no, the game forces you into a corner, so I had to refuse to become a horse thief and so the cunt attacks you! Felt good to beat him to a pulp.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I didn't feel bad about that asshole. I tried to give him every other option, including paying for the horses myself, but no, the game forces you into a corner, so I had to refuse to become a horse thief and so the cunt attacks you! Felt good to beat him to a pulp.

Same here :salute:

That scene felt VERY idiotic and railroaded. Steal the horse or be a dick to Ciri, no middle ground. Hurr durr.

But from what I read online, it is NOT counted towards the "good/bad ending" score.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
That scene felt VERY idiotic and railroaded. Steal the horse or be a dick to Ciri, no middle ground. Hurr durr.
It's not necessarily the best or most thoughtful possible set-up (you probably should at least have a "do what you want, I'll stay out of it" option instead of things instantly escalating like that), but I feel it's initially a more interesting choice than some of the actually meaningful ones, a moral choice between Geralt's principles and Ciri's wishes that also has a clear build-up to it instead of just coming out of the blue. On the other hand the Skjall choice is pretty much just about whether you want to be an asshole or not (it's not like there's any real urgency anywhere in the game) whereas the Lodge and laboratory choices are rather poorly set-up and ambiguous, so it's weird that the circus choice was the one that carried no consequences whatsoever.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Another minor thing about the ending (kind of): have I just missed it or is there really never any mention of what happens to the Radovid - Philippa Eilhart situation?
I gave Radovid the thing I found in Philippas hideout, so he should be somewhat able to locate her.
I did not finish the quest where I should assasinate Radovid.
So in the end Radovidania won.
But as far as I remember Eilhart isn't mentioned once in this regard.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Another minor thing about the ending (kind of): have I just missed it or is there really never any mention of what happens to the Radovid - Philippa Eilhart situation?
I gave Radovid the thing I found in Philippas hideout, so he should be somewhat able to locate her.
I did not finish the quest where I should assasinate Radovid.
So in the end Radovidania won.
But as far as I remember Eilhart isn't mentioned once in this regard.

Endgame spoilers about the war.
Yeah, there are only 3 endings regarding the war: Radovid wins (don't kill him), Redania wins under Dijkstra (kill radovid and side with Dijkstra) and Nilfgaard wins (Kill radovid, side with Roche).

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Philippa's crystal just screams "cut content" to me, kind of like many other things about the ending slides. Even if you give the crystal to Triss or Yen and never mention it to Radovid, he'll still act later on like you gave it to him by saying something like "hope you have something better than a crystal this time". The Lodge does pretty much nothing except give a reason for doing a few end-game filler quests (which are nice but feel rather lazily connected to the main plot) and play a role in one choice regarding Ciri. Aside from Philippa there's Dandelion, Zoltan, Priscilla, the Baron and his wife and a bunch of other characters that are kind of just forgotten on the way and get no closure either. I'd expect them to improve on that with the inevitable Enhanced Edition or its equivalent.

Deleted member 7219

Philippa's crystal just screams "cut content" to me, kind of like many other things about the ending slides. Even if you give the crystal to Triss or Yen and never mention it to Radovid, he'll still act later on like you gave it to him by saying something like "hope you have something better than a crystal this time". The Lodge does pretty much nothing except give a reason for doing a few end-game filler quests (which are nice but feel rather lazily connected to the main plot) and play a role in one choice regarding Ciri. Aside from Philippa there's Dandelion, Zoltan, Priscilla, the Baron and his wife and a bunch of other characters that are kind of just forgotten on the way and get no closure either. I'd expect them to improve on that with the inevitable Enhanced Edition or its equivalent.

The crystal was one of the shittier parts of the game for me. I gave the crystal to Radovid (I didn't realise you could give it to Triss, and I didn't know where Yen was at the time) but later ended up siding with the Lodge, Broche and the others. Would have been nice to have found out what happened to the crystal.

I agree with what you say about the other characters too. They should have had ending slides at least, especially Philippa and the other sorcereresses.

Wulfstand

Prophet
If you import a savefile in which you sided with Iorveth, do you actually get to learn anything about him/Sile (if you decide not to kill her)/the whole Scoia'tael movement? I understand the whole 'there's an actual war going on, fuck the Scoia'tael' thing, but I still can't fathom the fact that the devs actually left out one of the major plot points of the previous two games.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
If you import a savefile in which you sided with Iorveth, do you actually get to learn anything about him/Sile (if you decide not to kill her)/the whole Scoia'tael movement? I understand the whole 'there's an actual war going on, fuck the Scoia'tael' thing, but I still can't fathom the fact that the devs actually left out one of the major plot points of the previous two games.

In the scoiatel camp in the wilds near Novigrad or Oxenfurt or wherever you can hear the elves say Iorveth is dead shot by arrows. That's all. If you import a savefile where you had let Sile live, you'll encounter her when freeing Margarita Laux-Antille. Sile will also be in that prison.
but only for a short cutscene ending with her dying.

Wulfstand

Prophet
In the scoiatel camp in the wilds near Novigrad or Oxenfurt or wherever you can hear the elves say Iorveth is dead shot by arrows. That's all. If you import a savefile where you had let Sile live, you'll encounter her when freeing Margarita Laux-Antille. Sile will also be in that prison.
but only for a short cutscene ending with her dying.

Good to know, because I didn't find her in the cell; if I add to that the fact that I couldn't find Letho during that witcher contract/sidequest, it means that my imported save file didn't actually work, and that somehow I got an alternative w2 ending scenario. It's either that, or I chose an earlier W2 savefile during the first half of the game (one which actually had memorized the fact I sided with Roche, a fact I was extra-careful to avoid once I saw the fact that the game recognized/showed all of the quicksaves I made in W2).

Good thing that the 2nd game has that branching storyline which offered me a different and enjoyable experience for my 2nd playthrough, because that savefile was literally the only reason why I wanted to replay the game to begin with.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Good to know, because I didn't find her in the cell; if I add to that the fact that I couldn't find Letho during that witcher contract/sidequest, it means that my imported save file didn't actually work, and that somehow I got an alternative w2 ending scenario. Good thing that the 2nd game has that branching storyline which offered me a different and enjoyable experience for my 2nd playthrough, because that savefile was literally the only reason why I wanted to replay the game to begin with.
I only used the "simulated Witcher 2 save" option, where you tell yourself what choices you've made in W2. It turned out as I've described above. I don't know if actually importing a savefile functions properly at all.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
I only used the "simulated Witcher 2 save" option, where you tell yourself what choices you've made in W2. It turned out as I've described above. I don't know if actually importing a savefile functions properly at all.

I did and it does work. Also, TW2 saves after you beat the game. Import that save.

Beowulf

Arcane
I did it as well, but imported the wrong file (Letho being alive was the check digit for me). It was some issue with savefiles sorting; best thing to do is to make sure in W2 that you have the correct save, and then moving all other savefiles to different location in order to avoid accidentally loading the wrong one.

But as far as I noticed the biggest difference between importing and simulating save from W2 is the presence of the tattoo (if you haven't got ridden of it). Not to mention that those "decisions" lead to mostly cosmetic differences, with the honourable mention of Letho's appearance that brings some gameplay with it (not only flavour text/brief encounter).

Wulfstand

Prophet
Not to bitch or anything, since I've finished the game a week ago, but to allow the game to acknowledge the existence of every single W2 savefile except for the endgame one feels pretty fucking stupid.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
FINALLY!

Finished the game for a second time and saw the happy ending. Slay dem cockatrices for me, Ciri dear!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Perkel

Arcane
FINALLY!

Finished the game for a second time and saw the happy ending. Slay dem cockatrices for me, Ciri dear!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

dinopenis_in_fibonacci_spiral_style_by_ifrogeu-d8hkwtw.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Cuck a Triss is Yen's favorite game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom