Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Slitherine reveals Pike and Shot

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Pike and Shot; Slitherine

0040542.jpg

Slitherine has announced Pike and Shot, a strategy game taking place during the 16th and 17th centuries.

The game features 30 historical scenarios that cover the main battles of three of the most important conflicts of the 16th and 17th centuries:

* The Thirty Years’ War (1616-1648)
Pilgram-Lomnitz, 1618; White Mountain, 1620; Wimpfen, 1622; Lutter, 1626; First Breitenfeld, 1631; Lutzen, 1632; First Nordlingen, 1634; Wittstock, 1636; Second Breitenfeld, 1642; Roccoi, 1643

* The English Civil War (1642-1651)
Stratton, 1643; Adwalton Moor, 1643; Edgehill, 1642; Storming of Bristol, 1643; Nantwich, 1644; Cheriton, 1644; Marston Moor, 1644; Lostwithiel, 1644; Second Newbury, 1644; Naseby, 1645

* The Great Italian Wars (1494-1559)
Seminara, 1495; Fornova, 1495; Ravenna, 1512; Novarra, 1513; Marignano, 1515; Bicocca, 1522; Pavia, 1525; Ceresole, 1544; St. Quentin, 1557; Gravelines, 1558.

Cassidy

Arcane
The game features 30 historical scenarios that cover the main battles of three of the most important conflicts of the 16th and 17th centuries:

The Wars between Austria and the Ottoman Empire are not included? No Siege of Vienna? No Winged Hussars?

:decline:

Pike & Shot is set to be released on PC and iPad later this year.

:decline: :decline: :decline:

Comte

The Wars between Austria and the Ottoman Empire are not included? No Siege of Vienna? No Winged Hussars?

:decline:

Pike & Shot is set to be released on PC and iPad later this year.

:decline: :decline: :decline:

I bet it will be included in the Remove Kebab DLC

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
No Winged Hussars?

:decline::decline:

Indeed.

Bit disappointing that they've sacrificed some of their ability to make it purty by doing the ipad thing. Upside is that it ought to make mods a lot easier for people to churn out but it's still a shame that we're back to blobs of colour to represent units. Seems to be a grid based map? I want my hexagons! Other thing which niggles away is that they don't seem to be doing anything to simulate C&C issues - fine for MP I guess, but it diminishes the game for me in SP.

Vaguely interested, if only for the ruleset and time period, but can't see myself buying it on what they've said and shown so far. But it's unlikely that I'm the sort of grognard they're after with this one, so good luck to them all the same.

oscar

Arcane
This is a lot of fun. As mondblut says the fixed and linear campaign system may be a little disappointing but otherwise this game seems rock solid.

Played for a bit, deployment and movement take too long as you can't edit out movement animations. It is especially evident during enemy turns in large scale confrontations.

Otherwise it looks good though I'm still getting the hang of it. Commanded Musketeers in woods seem unstoppable and spanish tercios are fucking adorable when they break through protestant librul formations.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
No Winged Hussars?

I've been playing this. There are winged hussars. And they got absolutely rekt when I hit them from both flanks :smug:

It's.... Not bad. I'm not sure if it's worth the asking price. At 50% off I'd say go for it.
I really wish there was a way to better control the depth of your formations. The AI is pretty straightforward so far (tried the first 3 difficulties) and seems to get more resources rather than more brains when you scale it up. You have a very limited set of commands. (Move, rotate, shoot, charge). Not everything can shoot, charges seem to follow arcane rules. (EG: You can't charge something that isn't your "primary priority". I think it means you have other adjacent enemies, because moving 1 tile away before charging fixed it in one instance). The standard modifiers to combat are in place (unit type+size, unit morale, terrain, flanking). You can hide units in trees, but for the most part fog of war is nonexistent.

The main stumbling block for me has been my units chasing enemies. When a unit takes too much damage, it loses morale. First it impairs the units fightign ability, eventually it causes it to rout. (Which triggers morale tests in nearby allied units for lovely cascade effects). The thing is, whichever units were in melee with the routed unit give chase. And you have no control of them until they tire. In some cases, it's useful. You can get lucky and your chasing unit decides to charge into the flank of another enemy instead. Most of the time however, they'll waste 2-3 turns running after a fleeing enemy (sometimes they'll even follow the enemy off the map!). Worst case they break your formation to rush into th emiddle of the enemy where they get surrounded and murdered. I kind of wish there was a way to at least attempt to stop chases. I've had my main line utterly crushed while my cavalry were merrily chasing after 5-10 stragglers for half the battle.

I'm up for a round or two if someone wants a game.

The game should be better called shot and shot. Pike squares are subpar in melee and by the time they approach, they've lost so much morale that shot units wrap them up in close combat. Russian streltsy just rape everything.

Artillery is next to useless too. Misses up the ass, even point blank.

Campaigns aren't that great too.

meh/10

oscar

Arcane
I find pike blocks with good discipline are able to take plenty of fire before becoming demoralised. I've seen Swiss pike blocks stick around in good order even after losing 50%+ of their men.

Problem is those are pretty rare and have very low availability.

Even if they rout one if your units in close combat, by that time you'll have a good part of the rest of their army running and can have most of everything fire in their general direction.

This is why combo units like Hadjuks and Janissaries are so useful. Can hold their own both in close combat and fire very well. Like a pike n shot formation without any drawbacks. (after what my russian bardiches did to enemy heavy curassiers in melee, I pick as many of them as are available)

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Got the game because I'm a sucker for the time period. Looks breddy gud and captures the feel of baroque battle landscape paintings perfectly. Gameplay feels okay, the animations are unnecessary and make turns a pain at times, and some mechanics feel a bit off. Entertaining but all in all not really worth it at this price point.

TedNugent

Arcane
Pike and shot are mechanically one of the most involved and interesting periods in military tactics, and it is begging for a good videogame. Sadly this doesn't look like it.

I kind of wish there was a way to at least attempt to stop chases. I've had my main line utterly crushed while my cavalry were merrily chasing after 5-10 stragglers for half the battle.

Sounds realistic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verneuil#A_bloody_day

oscar

Arcane
The thing with combo units though is cavalry can easily do a number on them with flank or rear attacks what tercio/pike and shot formations don't have to worry about at all (even rear attacks are no problem for the early block formations).

The thing with combo units though is cavalry can easily do a number on them with flank or rear attacks what tercio/pike and shot formations don't have to worry about at all (even rear attacks are no problem for the early block formations).

From my experience, the AI can only manage this on forest maps, where it seems programmed to send a flanking force around the woods. Human opponents aside, kebabs and gopniks are noob friendly and easy due to these 'gamey' units.

Elite Janissaries decimated a normal tercio with shot, fought off a cavalry charge, engaged another tercio in melee, routed and started chasing it only to run in another tercio and break it in 3 turns. :salute:

A BOLT THROWER MOMENT

The pike and shot infantry had by this time adopted a system in which arquebusiers and pikemen were intermingled in combined units; both the French and the Imperial infantry contained men with firearms interspersed in the larger columns of pikemen.[42] This combination of pikes and small arms made close-quarters fighting extremely bloody.[43] The mixed infantry was normally placed in separate clusters, with the arquebusiers on the flanks of a central column of pikemen; at Ceresole, however, the French infantry had been arranged with the first rank of pikemen followed immediately by a rank of arquebusiers, who were ordered to hold their fire until the two columns met.[44] Montluc, who claimed to have devised the scheme, wrote that:

In this way we should kill all their captains in the front rank. But we found that they were as ingenious as ourselves, for behind their first line of pikes they had put pistoleers. Neither side fired till we were touching—and then there was a wholesale slaughter: every shot told: the whole front rank on each side went down.

oscar

Arcane
Pretty minor in role but can prove now and then the straw that breaks the camel's back in demoralising a unit. Its main use is encouraging the enemy to come to you and not dawdle if you have a major advantage in it rather than sit around getting shot at.

It is rather gamey though. It is worth getting a couple as you can use them to break one large but weak infantry unit before the battle, giving a nice start in the rout percentage counter.

Against the AI, it pays to have one unit of medium and of heavy guns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom