Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Let's see.

So far, the voters tend to take the kids with us, but do not ride with them immediately into battle, and instead go there at our own pace together with Rin. Then either wait for the prince to draw the enemy out, or go after their commanders/mages.

How exactly do we do this is still debated.
Baltika9 A A B3
Kipeci A B D6
Nevill B C B3
asxetos B C D2
Grimgravy A C x3
profreshinal A C B2
lightbane A C D6>C6>D5>C5>D4>C4>D3>C3
Kz3r0 A B Bx
Azira A C D3
Elfberserker A C B3
Esquilax A C D6
Smashing Axe A A B3
Lambchop19 A B B5>B4>B6
Rex Feral A B B1>B3
Jester A C>A D2>B2
Storyfag A C D6

A - 14
B - 2

A - 2
B - 4
C - 10

Bx - 1 (0) Kz3r0
B1 - 1 (0) Rex Feral
B2 - 1
B3 - 4 (6)
B5 - 1
D2 - 2
D3 - 1
D6 - 4
x3 - 1

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Interlude: Rinnefiela's Dream

The rubble shook. Tiny pebbles rolled off the heap of stone, and Rinnefiela rose from the pile, dusting herself off. She rubbed her eyes slowly, coughing from the dust. What had happened? After shamelessly negotiating her hand in marriage – how could the Demon Lord have agreed to such a thing!? – the Hero had thrown his medal at her father as the bride price, and it had, for some reason, exploded. It had been powerful enough to destroy Dark Wall, Demon Lord Kimari’s strongest defensive spell. Rinnefiela shuddered. Without that spell, without her father’s protection, she would have been killed.

Gathering her wits, she took a look around. This was… the armory on the ground floor. Or at least what remaind of it. It looks like the explosion had leveled most of the castle. Her dead people, no doubt left behind in the Hero’s wake, could be seen lying around. Mostly in pieces. And there was… Rinnefiela’s expression hardened. Master Volnic, one of her tutors. He taught her the art of the axe from a young age. How to keep her balance. How to strike swift and strike hard. And how to whirl it around in a frenzy of destruction. Never had he raised his voice against her, but he managed to keep strict discipline all the same. He was tall, strong, devilishly handsome and as a child she was vaguely aware of her fledgling crush on him. But now he was dead. Briefly wondering if it was the Hero or his companions that did the deed, or if it was the explosion, before finally concluding that it was of no consequence – humans did it – Rinnefiela cloaked herself in shadow and reformed her armor.

The entire castle began to shake alarmingly. Rinnefiela did not know what was going on, but she knew what she had to do: return to the throne room… or wherever it was the Demon Lord and the Hero were. A fizzling noise came from her hands; there was not enough shadow in her wings left to form a weapon. Sighing, Rinnefiela quickly grabbed a dented sword from a rack that had survived and headed out.

As she sprinted down a crumbling corridor, she spotted two people heading towards her.

Humans.

“Damn it, can’t believe that bitch left us and teleported on her own… Hold on, another demon… a black knight?” exclaimed one of them, a blonde-haired, blue-eyed knight.

“Are you the Hero’s companions?” asked Rinnefiela.

“Companions?” The very word seemed to anger the knight. “I am no companion. I am the Hero.”

Unless the explosion had changed his face, Rin thought, that seemed unlikely. “Bullshit,” she said. “The Hero looks lazier.”

“Master Kyle is indeed the Hero,” said his companion, a non-descript black-haired man in the holy armor and robes of a cleric. Though his face was bland, his eyes glittered with faith. “There is no doubt about that.”

“I fought the Hero before. You are merely his companions, are you not?” Rinnefiela left out the part where she was unceremoniously stripped. It did not matter to her much whether they were the Hero or just companions, though. She would cut them down all the same.

“I am not merely his companion,” growled the knight through gritted teeth. Rinnefiela’s words agitated him. “I am the third son of the Emperor, a born prince, raised to be a leader of my people! I was trained by the finest swordsmasters, drilled by the best knights, and the one most suitable be the Hero by virtue of birth and hard work!”

Rinnefiela shrugged. His anger was slightly amusing. Perhaps she could bait him into showing weakness in combat. “But you aren’t?”

“Master Theseon, we need to leave,” warned his companion quietly.

“I could have been, but the Goddesses saw fit to bestow that fate upon him first. Of course, it all rightfully came back to me in the end. You have no idea, demon, how much it hurt seeing him take the credit for saving people. How much it hurt seeing him smile and treat me like I was on his level. How much it hurt seeing him talk to me-“ The knight’s face twisted, and for a while Rinnefiela thought he would vomit. Then, he calmed down, and continued, “Despite being a useless, lazy pervert, he managed to become an existence that shone brightly; a man that I wanted to reach. The Hero. But now I see the Goddesses’ plan all along. Now I am finally the Hero.” The knight began to laugh.

“Ah.” Something clicked in Rinnefiela’s mind. She read about this before, in one of the books the Mistress of Pain had given her. “You idolized and adored the Hero so much that you were filled with self-pity at your inability to be like him. That became jealousy, to such a extent that you begrudged him everything while at the same time being bitter that he would not look at you, and you decided to actually take his place. If you could not have him, you would have everything he had…”

She nodded, fully satisfied with her own brilliant powers of deduction. “So, you’re gay.”

The knight’s face turned into a terrible scowl, dreadful enough to be called a demon of terror. “No! What is wrong with your ears!?”

“Master Theseon, we need to go, now!” emphasized the priest. He took a stance, ready to fight past Rinnefiela if that was what it took.

Rinnefiela laughed fiendishly. “Hey, don’t get angry about not being able to spread your butt-“ She stopped. A powerful burst of magical energy drew her attention. Something was wrong, but she could not identify it. All that she could tell was that it involved her father.

There was no longer any time to waste here. Ignoring the two humans, she leapt over them and ran off, deeper into the ruins of the Demon Lord’s castle…

Rinnefiela opened her eyes. Sunlight filtered in through the windows. She could hear the goblin children playing outside, and the chatter of the womenfolk drying meat and fruit in the sun. That dream... She knew how it ended. She had been sent here through unknown means, and she had met the Hero again. Erdrick Mercant. He had told her his side of the story.

Ah. A cog turned in Rinnefiela’s mind, fresh from waking up. That knight, Kyle Theseon, had said that it hurt to see him talk to 'me'. It was not 'me', but 'Mi'. Mieren. That must be it: the fighter girl that he killed. A love triangle! Another thing she read from those books in the Boudoir of Agony. She had seen Erdrick visit the chamber of ice he had created just to preserve the girl’s body.

It was all clear to her now: Kyle was in love with Erdrick, who in turn was in love with Mieren, and those spurned feelings caused him to ultimately betray Erdrick…

She blushed.

Despite being a demon, Rinnefiela was a maiden after all.

And now, she watched on as Erdrick made a deal with the dashing young prince. “You can’t be serious,” muttered the demon princess. Why would he waste time helping these humans?

Ah. A bell rang in Rinnefiela’s mind, and then it all became clear to her. The prince was not Kyle Theseon, but being royalty, with his blonde hair and blue eyes… he was definitely an existence similar to that man. That must be it. She quickly revised her theory of the love triangle at an astonishing speed.

It was not Kyle -> Erdrick <-> Mieren.

It was Kyle <-> Erdrick <- Mieren, but unfortunately the jealous Kyle misunderstood Erdrick’s close friendship with the girl! This was even more tragic than she had first thought. More tragic… but also more romantic.

“Well, if I get to hone my skills on some humans, I suppose it doesn’t matter much…” she continued, maintaining her outward calm. She would not spoil this alliance proposed by Erdrick. After all, did he not gaze at the prince intensely, as if reminded of his former lover? She was reminded of a very old book she had found, a tragedy where a demon had fallen in love with a human, but were unable to be together because of their differing races. It had stoked in her feelings of both disgust and intrigue - why would any demon like a human?

Still, something like that was now playing out before her eyes: now that Erdrick was no longer human, would the prince accept him? Would love be able to surpass the boundaries between races? That would be an interesting thing to see… and she felt a bit sorry for Erdrick. Just a bit. There were so many hurdles to overcome for him to find love. Indeed, now she understood that his perversion was clearly just an overcompensating pretense: all to hide the burning feelings for other men nestling in his heart.

Rinnefiela felt a twinge of curiosity in her chest. She wondered if she would ever be able to fall in love like that one day…

But for now, there was battle ahead. That was all that mattered at the moment.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The rubble shook. Tiny pebbles rolled off the heap of stone, and Rinnefiela rose from the pile, dusting herself off. She rubbed her eyes slowly, coughing from the dust. What had happened? After shamelessly negotiating her hand in marriage – how could the Demon Lord have agreed to such a thing!? – the Hero had thrown his medal at her father as the bride price, and it had, for some reason, exploded.
Ah. I wonder why she never ever mentioned that, as if it never ever happened. :lol:

Master Volnic, one of her tutors. He taught her the art of the axe from a young age. How to keep her balance.
Serves him right, the damn incompetent! :mad:

Briefly wondering if it was the Hero or his companions that did the deed, or if it was the explosion, before finally concluding that it was of no consequence – humans did it
Humans are just demonic jews, aren't they? :M

“I am not merely his companion,” growled the knight through gritted teeth. Rinnefiela’s words agitated him. “I am the third son of the Emperor, a born prince, raised to be a leader of my people! I was trained by the finest swordsmasters, drilled by the best knights, and the one most suitable be the Hero by virtue of birth and hard work!”
Meh. Tryhard. :M

Would troll.

“Ah.” Something clicked in Rinnefiela’s mind. She read about this before, in one of the books the Mistress of Pain had given her. “You idolized and adored the Hero so much that you were filled with self-pity at your inability to be like him. That became jealousy, to such a extent that you begrudged him everything while at the same time being bitter that he would not look at you, and you decided to actually take his place. If you could not have him, you would have everything he had…”

She nodded, fully satisfied with her own powers of deduction. “So, you’re gay.”
That is one accurate summary of Kyle. Rin gets a few respect points, the girl is a bit more educated than she lets on.

Another thing she read from those books in the Boudoir of Agony.
I wonder just what kind of books the Mistress of Pain kept in the Boudoir of Agony... Probably of a sort that anyone with taste would find agonizing to read. Devillish, indeed. :roll:

Despite being a demon, Rinnefiela was a maiden after all.
I'd give her 18, 19 years at most. :M

Ah. A bell rang in Rinnefiela’s mind, and then it all became clear to her. The prince was not Kyle Theseon, but being royalty, with his blonde hair and blue eyes… he was definitely an existence similar to that man. That must be it. She quickly revised her theory of the love triangle at an astonishing speed.

Still, something like that was now playing out before her eyes: now that Erdrick was no longer human, would the prince accept him? That would be an interesting thing to see… and she felt a bit sorry for Erdrick. Just a bit. There were so many hurdles to overcome for him to find love. His perversion was clearly an overcompensating pretense to hide his burning feelings for other men in his heart.
Yep, definitely more educated. There is no deceiving the Eyes of Mystic Perception. :salute:

I hope she would not shy from offering us help in such a delicate matter as per our Oath of Partnership.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Glad to see Rin using that demonic gaze thing to it's fullest potential, make us proud Rin:salute:
I think I will go with ACB3

lightbane

Arcane
Women. Women never change. Regardless of their race, origin and location. At least this confirms that Rin most likely had little contact with her demonic kind besides their tutors and these books. Still, she understood the situation quite easily :lol:

That makes me wonder: Can demons and humans procreate in this setting and have half-blooded spring? Granted, perhaps at some point we'll learn that by ourselves, but it's unlikely we'll do so through Rin, to say. Her thoughts about the ex-Hero imply that her "romance path" is no longer available to us (barring miracles), if you know what I mean:M
EDIT: Wait, I forgot she instill wants to inherit "her father's legacy" hidden within us, so perhaps something might happen at some point.

Actually, has it ever been mentioned if Erd had "intimate experiences" with women at some point? Chances are he hasn't been able to do so yet, if only because when he was a teenager he was forced to fight for his life in terryfing battles subjected to child abuse forced to endure his "special Hero training".

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah. I wonder why she never ever mentioned that, as if it never ever happened. :lol:

When the dowry bride price explodes you tend to think that it was just a ploy in the first place, so she filed it under "things the Hero did to try and kill my father" and left it at that.

Actually, has it ever mentioned if Erd had "intimate experiences" with women at some point?

Baby steps. :M

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
When the dowry explodes you tend to think that it was just a ploy in the first place, so she filed it under "things the Hero did to try and kill my father" and left it at that.
Hey! The dowry is what the bride's family pays to the groom. And yes, it exploded, too, along with the rest of the demon castle, so where do we file it under?

We did exactly what was requested of us, did we not?
“THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM OFFERING IT TO ME.”
He wanted us to make an offering. We did. We paid the bride price, and it cost us dearly.

Where's the bride, eh?

Esquilax

Arcane
Oh Christ, now we're actually fighting. "BUT GUISE WE CAN'T KEEP SEKRIT FUREVER!!!" Why fight in the first place if you wanted to keep things on the down low? Trying to keep our abilities secret is pointless now, this guy already knows that at the very least we are a powerful, mysterious mage with abilities that he has never seen. Now, since we've aligned ourselves with him, we ought to really commit to the goal and gain a foothold of support:

1) A: The Zhang Jue method of pedagogy has proven to be the most effective method of teaching, and its results are undeniable. If they cannot protect the Empire without us survive a battle against a hundred trained soldiers, then they deserve to die.

2)
C: I have a covert assault in mind for this. The Barzamites aren't expecting us, and they won't know what hit them. As soon as they set up on the Prince, thinking they have their quarry, we start picking off their commanders and their mages.
3)
D: Strike at the shepherd and the sheep will scatter. More importantly, this option avoids collateral damage and friendly fire in the village.
4)
6: This is the answer to every problem, after all. Takes out most of the enemy, avoids harming the prince, any villagers, or our own people. Sure, we'll be known at the very least as a very mysterious and powerful mage who can manifest abilities that nobody has ever seen, but then why the fuck did we come here to begin with? Since we're here, we might as well do it right. Some of the Barzamites will escape, but we will at least get a ton of support from the Methussians.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

FFS, Rin!!!

So what started out as us trying to keep under the radar ended up as us showing off to the prince because faggotry.
:codexisfor::0-13:

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Why fight in the first place if you wanted to keep things on the down low?
Because he is so irresistible. :love:

He will be our rebound guy while we are dealing with our break-up with Kyle. Helping the look-alike will be the first step to our reconciliation with Theseus. Baby steps.

Trying to keep our abilities secret is pointless now, this guy already knows that at the very least we are a powerful, mysterious mage with abilities that he has never seen.
Not so pointless, as the votes are rather split now.

'THEY are watching you, THEY know everything about you' is never a healthy argument. He might know we are powerful - by virtue of disposing of a force 50 times our size - but how much he will know is still for us to decide.

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
'THEY are watching you, THEY know everything about you' is never a healthy argument. He might know we are powerful - by virtue of disposing of a force 50 times our size - but how much he will know is stiill for us to decide.

Wait, I thought that this line of thought lead to "WE MUST NEVER SHOW OUR TECHNIQUES, OR PEOPLE WILL KNOW WE ARE ZHANG JUE'S APPRENTICE" logic, and that was a paranoid line of thought that was motivated by fear? What changed? Why does it matter that he knows we're an angel, I thought we were best buds? I don't see how it makes a difference a this point whether we use Gigadyne to solve this problem or the Prince barely makes it out by the skin of his teeth.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I sympathise with Lambchop's crusade against... Well, I forget. But I sympathised with it. So I'll support his plan. Except I want to cuddle up to Prince Reinhard.

aab3

tumblr_n9hlfzOQj41tvk0jmo1_500.gif

Nevill

Arcane
Why does it matter that he knows we're an angel, I thought we were best buds?
He might have a heartbreak if he learns we aren't the same species. And we don't want to see a cute prince heartbroken.

The truly paranoid protagonist should have done this:
As a 'cold manipulative bastard' you should first try to silence Rin and Petze to eliminate any witnesses to your actions, or hope that they don't otherwise accidentally let slip anything about that in the future.
But as with everything, we are half-assing the Utmost Secrecy part. :M

So what started out as us trying to keep under the radar ended up as us showing off to the prince because faggotry.
I will keep the protagonist alive long enough for you to see us forgiving Kyle!!! :argh:

Esquilax

Arcane
He might have a heartbreak if he learns we aren't the same species. And we don't want to see a cute prince heartbroken.

Well, he'll have to deal with the heartbreak somehow, seeing as how we have a massive fucking wing attached to our back. He's going to find out pretty much immediately. No point in secrecy now.

Abb5>abb4>Abb6

Esquilax is right. No point in hiding our love power at this point. Might as well go all in. I don't want to use gigadine though if at all possible.

Look, since you are all so keen on allying us with this guy, let's just test him by showing our full power and seeing how he reacts.

Esquilax is right, this is just like the martial arts tourny in Legend. We were all worried about nothing and wasted a lot of effort on hiding our powers.

Just go all out.

Esquilax

Arcane
You mean, wrapped around our back and hidden under a cloak? :M

When I advocate for secrecy, it is a plan that is doomed to fail because you can't hide things forever. When you advocate for secrecy, there is no way they're gonna find out!

Nevill

Arcane
Look, since you are all so keen on allying us with this guy, let's just test him by showing our full power and seeing how he reacts.
There is an issue of his companions who might or might not be loyal to him.

Even if the guy keeps the secret, they might not.

When I advocate for secrecy, it is a plan that is doomed to fail because you can't hide things forever.
Eventually is the keyword.
When you advocate for secrecy, there is no way they're gonna find out!

It is almost as if I am saying 'we can show some of our cards' and you are pulling your pants down shouting 'WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE!' :M

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane

Esquilax is right, this is just like the martial arts tourny in Legend. We were all worried about nothing and wasted a lot of effort on hiding our powers.

Just go all out.

Well, that "slave of Methuss" comment that the Barzamit commander made a while back, and how the Methussians could have an angel in their ranks might imply that Methuss enslaves angels, though I think that's a very fanciful interpretation. Man, if only there was some way to know about the customs, attitudes and geo-political situation in the region! Like say, if we interrogated someone high up in the food chain? Oh man, I really wish we had the chance to do that, the voters would have been all over that!

Nevill: Again, it's just like Legend. Quit being paranoid. The time for paranoia was in the previous choice.

Even if we are wearing a hood, we are a powerful Mage traveling with a giant female knight in full black armor. That's pretty identifiable. Now that we have agreed to help the prince, we've already shown ourselves to have taken a side, might as well just do our work and quit worrying about paranoia because at this point it is just a matter of time before we are widely known for killing the Barzamites and saving the prince.

Esquilax

Arcane

It is almost as if I am saying 'we can show some of our cards' and as if you are pulling your pants down shouting 'WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE!' :M

Yes, *eventually*. We would have revealed ourselves *eventually*, once we had gotten a grip of the overall situation in the region, their relationships, who we could reach out to as potential allies. We would do that before aligning ourselves with anyone and committing ourselves, not after.

But my point is, why would we hide anything at this point? I just don't see the purpose behind it. Okay, so the Prince's goons know that we are an angel and/or are a very powerful mage? Okay, so fucking what?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom