Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Baltika9

Arcane
Nothing new for us. I think Cao'er was 15 when she introduced Jing to the Anal Probe. :salute:
Wasn't Jing about sixteen at the time?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wasn't Jing about sixteen at the time?
He was fourteen when he went to Ashina, turned fifteen during Yao's travels, and hit seventeen after a year and a half of Maniac Training. The cave accident occured half a year later, and the Fire Cult Challenge shortly after, which is when Cao'er claimed her rightful reward for her patience.

Bai Jiutian is considered a year older than Wu Jin, at 21. Guo Fu is 18 or 19, he's not too sure himself. You're the baby of the bunch here, at 17.
Jing was confirmed to be 17 during the Wudang redacted chapter which chronologically occured 3 months before the Challenge and the subsequent Maniac Training Redux.

Edit: ah, found it.
Just to have a firmer sense of the timeline...

Autumn Taisheng 27
Jing is 14
Visit to the Ashina

Winter Taisheng 27
Imprisonment in the palace
Exile
Meeting with Yao

Spring Taisheng 28
Jing turns 15
Adventures with Yao

Summer Taisheng 28
Adventures with Yao

Autumn Taisheng 28
The Songfeng incident

Winter Taisheng 28
Luoying Manor
Meeting with Zhang
Start of training on Maniac Island

Spring Taisheng 29
Jing turns 16
Training on Maniac Island

Summer Taisheng 29

Autumn Taisheng 29
Pirate hunting with Zhang

Winter Taisheng 29

Spring Taisheng 30
Jing turns 17

Summer Taisheng 30
Jing leaves Maniac Island
Rescuing Yao
Young Martial Artists Tournament
The Minamoto incident
Meeting the Black Dragon Society
Return to Emei

Autumn Taisheng 30
Travel to the Wudu Cult
Reunion with Shun
Disappearance of the Golden Emperor

Winter Taisheng 30
Battle at Heihu Valley
Come to think of it, how old is Erdrick? I can't imagine that he is over 20.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Prince of the Kingdom

“Are we doing this?” Rin’s voice is low but barely restrained in its anticipation. You shake your head, causing her shoulders to tremble indignantly. Unfortunately for Rin, you don’t want things to get too messy just yet. She can take it out on some other soldiers later. You shake your head. “Wait. Let me handle this.” An unintelligibly muttered complaint on her lips, Rin and Petze retreat further into the woods.

Enter dreamless stasis; let flesh turn into stone. The moment you begin focusing on your spell, the cloak of invisibility fades. Unsurprisingly, this surprises the soldiers. They back away, shocked by the sight of a hooded stranger appearing out of thin air. “Wh-Who are you? Are you a Methussian mage?” demands one of the soldiers.

You ignore them and murmur, “Petrification.” The magic courses through your arm and concentrates in your hand, particularly at the tips of your fingers. It is a strong spell, but the downside is that you would have to touch your opponent for it to work.

“I said, who are you?”

“Don’t bother asking, he’ll be just as dead as the rest of the village soon. We have to finish him off anyway.”

With the heavy cloak and the folded wing in the way, you cannot move as freely as you like. Even so, these fodder should not be able to keep up; your speed is not much diminished from your hero days. Which, granted, was not that all long ago. Two, maybe three weeks, tops. That idle thought in your mind, you move, leaping over the twins. The soldiers draw back from your landing spot as one – they are quite well-trained – before lunging forward with concerted stabs from three directions, attempting to impale you before you can recover. The memory of your training with Rurik kicks in. Twisting your body, you dance past their thrusting blades and grab a swordarm that has overreached. The magic takes effect instantly: there will be no problems with their magical resistance, it seems. Like an advancing wave, the stone swiftly replaces the man’s flesh, spreading outwards from the point of contact.

“Wh-What? Gods help us!”

“He just turned into a statue, Sergeant!”

“What kind of fiendish magic is this?”

You cast the spell again – “Petrification” – and while they are still shocked from their comrade’s transformation, you grab one of them by the throat. You let go, and again, repeat the spell.

“M-Monster!” This time, the last man turns to flee, dropping his sword in the process. You catch up to him before he has taken barely a step, tapping his back in a friendly manner. He, too, petrifies. And with that, it is all over; there is nothing left but the wind carrying the screams of the dying in the distance and the acrid smell of burning homes, though that is not your fault at all. You dust off your hands, looking at your handiwork.

They really do make for ugly statues.

Turning around, you walk back to the two siblings. You saved them, and perhaps you could make use of them, but you hardly know where to start. You have never been very good with children – they tend to be irrational and too much of a hassle to deal with. The boy cowers fearfully at you as you approach, his eyes not daring to meet yours. The girl, on the other hand, is staring at you fiercely. There are shades of fear, yes, but also a hint of a strong will beneath that delicate exterior. “Are you a mage?” she asks cautiously. “That was magic, right? Turning those men into stone?”

“Don’t… don’t be rude, sis! Th-thank you for saving us, sir,” mumbles the boy. He introduces himself: “I’m Arlin, my sister is Aria. We live in that village.”

Aria nods curtly and stands up. Dragging her brother with her while still keeping a careful eye on you, she pokes one of the former soldiers with a finger. “It’s… real stone,” she murmurs in amazement. Then, a wrathful scowl twists her face, and she shoves the statue. It topples over and shatters on the ground. Aria goes and knocks over another of the petrified soldiers, Arlin following behind her, pleading for her to stop.

“Sis! Don’t do this!”

“They killed Dad, this is the least that they deserve! Besides, who cares what I do to these scum?” Aria kicks one of the broken limbs, sending it rolling a short distance away. Then, she bends over and clutches her toes in pain, tears welling up at the corners of her eyes. You are not sure whether they are tears of anger, pain, or sorrow.

“Technically, I made those statues, so they belong to me,” you call out.

”You… you are not going to ask us for payment, are you?” whimpers Arlin. “We have no money, sir…”

Well, perhaps not him, but if you were five years younger you would definitely be all over his sister as payment. Of course, you don’t tell him that… but even so, the siblings seem to be shrinking away from you.

“There is that creepy look on your face again,” says Rin, appearing from the trees. Petze is smartly staying hidden as per your instructions, but you suppose the demon princess cannot be ordered around that easily. “What do we do with these mewling manlings? By your expression, I assume it is something good for you, and not so good for them, am I right?”

“Well…”

A horn blows, interrupting the noises of the usual marauding. You look at the village: a new band of riders have arrived, sweeping into the village and battling the raiders. The shining armour and gleaming flag, embroidered with a golden lion, indicate these as knights of some order. Probably belonging to Methuss. There are not many of them, perhaps about ten or so, against perhaps thirty of the enemy, but they seem confident they can send the bandits packing, charging in with abandon. One of the knights breaks off from the group and rides in your direction, a second one soon following after. It looks like you have been spotted, and have presented enough of a curiosity for them to investigate.

It is a bit too late to hide. You can sense Rin’s growing bloodlust.

The two knights reach you in no time at all. The lead knight rears his horse, a gallant white charger, and stops at a safe and polite distance. “Greetings! Are you villagers of Erise?” He removes his helmet, revealing a young man close to your age, sporting beautiful blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes. He is not Kyle, but he instantly reminds you of him, and your mood worsens ever so slightly.

“You are… Your Royal Highness!” Arlin goes down on his knees, dragging a reluctant Aria together with him. “Why would you be here?”

“His Majesty sent me to subjugate the bandits plaguing our remote villages. I apologize for being so late, but rest assured that my men will save the day. Each of them can fight a hundred men!” Giving them a kind, reassuring nod, he turns his attention from the children to you and Rin – it is clear to you that he did not come here because of the two children, despite his politeness to them, but because of you.

“I am Farland Yuiry, Sixth Prince of the House of Yuiry who rule the land of Methuss. Pray, good man, would you introduce yourself?”

“Hm? Me?” Right, royalty. His similarity to Kyle is growing by the minute. Besides you, Rin has her arms crossed and her foot tapping in impatience. “I am just a wandering traveller.”

“Such impudence!” scolds the prince’s companion. “Kneel when the prince addresses you! And remove that hood, hiding your face is the utmost disrespect!” From the sound of the voice… probably a woman. Your ears have been trained in this. You glance at the armour that hides her body, wondering idly what curves lie beneath.

“No, it is fine. You appear to be foreign to our lands. I can tell that I do not… or cannot rule over you. Forgive my adjutant, she can be overly concerned with etiquette. But tell me this, please… you are a mage, are you not?”

“Something like that,” you say. “Should you be wasting your time here instead of rejoining the fight, Your Highness?”

“As I have said, I am confident in their strength. These bandits will not prove a challenge.”

Quite a foolhardy man, you think. Those are not really bandits, but you suppose the prince doesn’t know that.

“From the way they fight, I know that they are not actually bandits, but trained soldiers,” winks Farland conspiratorially. “Do not worry, even then, my knights will prevail.”

“It is comforting that you have foreseen that much then, Prince Farland,” you bow your head. “I suppose I am no longer needed here then?” Rin stiffens up at your words: she does not seem pleased at the idea that she would leave without getting a chance to fight the dirty humans. You gently motion for her to keep back – you don’t want her accidentally slipping and beheading the prince with her axe.

“No, let me at least express my gratitude to you for your effort in saving my people,” replies the prince, casting an eye at the shattered statues. It was not much effort at all – if it was, you would have never done it. “Magic to turn men into stone… I have never seen such wonders. I am curious, sir mage, do you know anything about the column of light and the rumbling that was sighted near this area some two weeks ago?”

“Your Highness, trouble!” shouts his adjutant suddenly. “More of them are coming!”

That is right – the information you obtained from the mage indicated that there were at least seventy more of them. Not all of the enemy had appeared on this raid: they must have kept their forces in reserve, only waiting to commit when necessary. And it looks like it has become necessary: you suspect that their target has appeared. The remainder of the enemy forces have arrived, springing the trap – whereas the initial wave only had normal soldiers, you are noticing the presence of mages in their reinforcements. They also number quite a bit more than you had expected: you are unable to count them all, but it might be close to a hundred instead of seventy.

“A trap, eh? If they knew I was coming…” Farland mutters to himself. He seems to have thought of something. “Well, I knew the risks when I signed up to be born into the royal family, I suppose,” he jokes.

“Can’t your men fight a hundred men each?” Rin asks sarcastically.

“Oh, the mage’s companion. Sir knight, I am afraid that was hyperbole,” he says with a gallant wave. “No matter. I am sorry, but I must return to my men and get them to safety. I am sorry to trouble you further, but could I entrust you with the children?”

“Your Highness, why do we not conscript this man and his partner into the fight? He might be useless, but he could serve as an extra shield for your royal personage!” exclaims the adjutant.

“He is useless,” nods Rin, contributing no value at all to the conversation. You give her a nasty look which she ignores.

After pondering over it for a second, Farland says, “Well… sir mage, if you would fight with us, I would be eternally grateful. I would even consider it to be my life saved through your action, and I assure you that the gratitude of royalty runs deep indeed. It may not be in my power to grant you a full title of nobility, but I can assure you some riches, at least... perhaps a lesser knighthood, if that is what you desire. Of course, that is only if we make it out of this alive. I do not lie: it will be a risky fight.”

You have had first-hand experience with the gratitude of royalty, and you are not keen to experience it again. The part where you get stabbed, in particular, is pretty undesirable. It would just be troublesome.

A. You decide not to let past experiences bias your judgment. Helping out a prince of the kingdom would be more useful than merely helping out a village chief, which is one possible outcome you had considered coming here. Besides, you can't let a potential cutie die before you've seen her face. Judging from your battle in the ruins, you doubt it will be anywhere near as risky as the prince thinks unless they pull out some trick that you have not seen before.

B. You suspect that the enemy forces are here for the prince. You can make it easy for them. You capture the prince alive and use him for your own negotiations - he will never see this coming. You have no idea what you are going to ask of them yet, but you are sure you will think of something once you have the prince in hand. Maybe women, or money, or information, or all three. Should negotiations fail... well, it is too bad for the raiders, then.

C. You didn’t come here to save the village, and things are rapidly becoming more of a hassle than you asked for. You’ll take your toys and go home.
1. Kidnap the twins.
2. Kidnap the prince.
3. Kidnap the prince’s adjutant.
4. Kidnap the twins and the prince.
5. Kidnap the twins and the prince’s adjutant.
6. Kidnap the prince and the prince’s adjutant.
7. Kidnap them all, of course.
8. Kidnap none of them.

D. It is time for a break. You wave the prince off, wishing him good fortune, and then sit and have a picnic.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
“No matter. I am sorry, but I must return to my men and get them to safety. I am sorry to trouble you further, but could I entrust you with the children’s safety?”
C. You didn’t come here to save the village, and things are rapidly becoming more of a hassle than you asked for. You’ll take your toys and go home.
1. Kidnap the twins.
Wait a second. If he entrusted the kids to us it's not really a kidnapping, is it? :M

Is there an option to wait and see who emerges victorious? I don't want to go home just yet, but I am not sure whether I want the title of a lesser knight either. :|

I am curious about this... adjutant of the prince. She displays a certain ruthlessness, yet she probably isn't the angel. The prince wouldn't risk his men if he could just order the bandits executed, would he?

Tentatively want to kidnap the twins and the adjutant. That's no way to talk to your betters! :mad: But the prince would probably ride to her rescue, being the knight in the shining armor that he is, and right into the goblin village. That would be hard to explain...

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
So many different character building options... i love it!

I am voting A, but wouldnt really mind any option winning in this case, esp C7.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Is there an option to wait and see who emerge victorious? I don't want to go home just yet, but I am not sure whether I want the title of a lesser knight either.

I'm giving you the option to do that now if you want to, but what's going to happen is that the prince is going to get killed along with his men (and woman). That's pretty much it. They can hold their own against thirty but a hundred might be too much, particularly since they've brought along their spell casters.

Baltika9

Arcane
“I am Farland Yuiry, Sixth Prince of the House of Yuiry who rule the land of Methuss. Pray, good man, would you introduce yourself?”
Can't wait to meet Daddy Yuiry.
RA2_Yuri.jpg

Tentatively want to kidnap the twins and the adjutant.
It would have been hilarious if we were a dragon with a mania for hording prisoners.

Nevill

Arcane
I'm giving you the option to do that now if you want to, but what's going to happen is that the prince is going to get killed along with his men (and woman).
Ah, sorry, I didn't realize it would be fatal for them. The wording of A choice and our previous encounter made me think that the threat is not all that great. Besides, I thought most of the mages left for the ruins as I thought it was more important to them.

Well, we can't have the woman killed, until we know if she is a cute one or not, can we?

So what I am hearing is that if we kidnap the adjutant, the prince is going to be killed and no one will come to her rescue? :M

It would have been hilarious if we were a dragon with a mania for hording prisoners.
Hilarious... but also frustrating. :M

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, sorry, I didn't realize it would be fatal for them. The wording of A choice and our previous encounter made me think that the threat is not all that great. Besides, I thought most of the mages left for the ruins as I thought it was more important for them.

The threat is not all that great for you (probably).

Well, we can't have the woman killed, until we know if she is a cute one or not, can we?

That's a good reason for A, B and any C choice that takes the adjutant, I suppose. I'll add something about it for flavour.

So what I am hearing is that if we kidnap the adjutant, the prince is going to be killed and no one will come to her rescue? :M

Depends on whether he cares enough about her to give chase by himself or try to rally his men. It could just be that it tips the scale against him deciding to suicidally rescue the rest of the knights in favour of rescuing his adjutant. But you won't know until you try.

Nevill

Arcane
Rin stiffens up at your words: she does not seem pleased at the idea that she would leave without getting a chance to fight the dirty humans.
On the other hand, Rin wanted to play, and her toys in the ruins broke too fast...

Maybe we can let Rin fumble around and accidentally kill the raiders while we enjoy a picnic? The best of both worlds, the princess is happy and we don't have to do the hard work. And if she messes up again, we'll be all smug and lend her a helping hand.

The prince can award her the knighthood if he wants. :M

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
She might not care enough to distinguish between the puny humans and accidentally the prince. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Eh. I don't know. I am torn between A and C5. Happy Rin, or happy fun times with the adjutant? Decisions, decisions...

*fondly remembers the last prince we murdered with an axe...*
IT IS TRADITION.

We nearly scored a second one, too, but then you faggots had to PRAY! :argh::argh::argh:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

As much as I like to save the day, I don't trust this prince to make good on his word after he finds out *what* we are. Their empire already has one of our kind in bondage.

I'm going with C5>A>D for now.

edit:
D>C7>B>C1>C5

Our goal is to remain unseen, if possible, remember?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kz3r0

Arcane
treave are we wearing the gauntlete perchance?
I am curious to see if it makes us compelled by the prince's orders.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Actually D might be best now that I think if it. Both sides will exhaust themselves and then we can decide whom to kill or save. Of course there is the chance the adjutant would die in the process. Hmm. Not sure.

Edit: crap. Never mind then.

edit: screw the adjutant, we can't see her face and she may not be hot anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nevill

Arcane
Actually D might be best now that I think if it. Both sides will exhaust themselves and then we can decide whom to kill or save.
It was explicitly stated that the prince's side will be wiped out. We won't get to decide, since we are choosing inaction in a supposedly crucial monment.

I suppose we'll have a choice to wipe out the raiders and leave no one but the villagers alive. I suppose we can also wipe out the villagers, too, if witnesses bother us. :M

I kinda want the Barzam forces to be killed, all of them to the last man. Wasn't that why we came here in the first place? Damn prince, stealing our thunder and spoiling our fun! :argh:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
D - Picnic time! The world is stressful. We need to remember to take time for ourselves. And we're thinking of the children! Teaching them by example the lesson of not being a buttinsky. And Nevill a picnic is NOT inaction. The action is leisure!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom