Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Giskard

Augur
Sorry to derail this entertaining derail, but :gumpyhead: is spreading his spreading his special sauce around again...

“They [Bethesda Game Studios] want to push what their games feel like and how they play,” said Hines. “Making them better and better, not just as role-playing games, but when you’re doing dialogue. Is it up there with the games that are considered to be having really good, fun, engaging dialogue? When you’re doing combat, when you’re doing stealth, whatever these things are, each of those areas can be better on their own.”

Entire article;

http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3526651

Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grinding is not fun. Time-fillers are not fun. Changing haircut is not fun. Opening fridge is not fun. Punishing slow reflexes is not fun. It's reality. And if I liked the reality, I wouldn't play games.
The perception of what is fun has shifted, that's the main problem I have with modern gaming.

Fairfax

Arcane
Everyone in this thread will play it. Especially the tryhard newfags.
At some point, perhaps, but not at launch, as it costs $75 for PC in my currency at the moment, and I will never pay that much for a PC game, let alone a Bethesda product.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Does anyone here really think that Fallout's combat was a masterpiece?

Yes, it was. Because combat in a game is not just numbers crunched by the CPU. It's a visual and an auditory experience also.
And it was very rewarding using different weapons just to see what the game has in stored.
Perks also had real weight in combat.

Blackmill

Scholar
Since perks aren't level-locked, but rather stat-locked, you can feasibly get any perk early on in the game, correct? I'm assuming that means perks will be relatively low impact to avoid OP starting characters?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Strictly speaking, Pete works for Bethesda Softworks (the publisher) not Bethesda Game Studios (their in-house developer).

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Anyone can explain perks in detail?

Just saw this at Fallout 4 Forums http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1528556-perks-have-special-requirements-confirmed-quakecon-report/

Todd Howard said Perks every level.

When you level up, you go to the Perk Chart on your Pipboy.
The chart was shown briefly hanging on the garage and is in your pipboy.
The header row lists each Special Stat.
There are 10 perks listed under each one listed as 1 through 10.

What ever your rating in a Special Stat determines which perks you can take.
Have 4 in all seven Special Stats then you can chose from the the first through 4th rows on each stat.
Most perks can be taken more than once.
If you stat is not high enough then the perk is greyed out.

There are no level requirements.
To take Sniper (a Perception Perk on the ninth row), you have to have a nine in Perception.
So you start with a nine In Perception, you can start the game with Sniper.
This makes sense if the Sole Survivor is a vet.

There are 70 base stats and most of them but not all have four ranks.
So the Science Perk has Science Rank 1 through Science Rank 4.
Tod Howard said with all the Perk ranks there were something like a 170 perks total.

He said they found limiting what perks you can take by your Special Stats makes the Sole Survivor very unique with vary different play styles.

Discuss!!!

And are Skill perks now, in the sense that you have to choose between perks and skill-perks?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_perks

Skills are gone. There is only SPECIAL (allocated on character creation) and perks (one per level).

The Science skill seems to have been succeeded by the Science! and Hacker perks. Science! is a perk with at least 3 ranks that we know plays a part in crafting. The Hacker perk most likely affects hacking computer terminals, in addition to the basebuilding part.
And Medicine is apparantly a perk now as well, with an unknown effect.

We don't know if any more former skills return as perks, or what their effects will be.

But I think it's safe to assume that the basic effect of the weapon skills return in the form of boring, tier one, "+10% damage per rank" perks, just like in Skyrim - perhaps under Perception (Ranged weapons), Strength (Melee weapons) and Agility (throwable weapons), respectively.

Since perks aren't level-locked, but rather stat-locked, you can feasibly get any perk early on in the game, correct? I'm assuming that means perks will be relatively low impact to avoid OP starting characters?

Yes, that is true. Remember that most perks have 4 ranks as well. There won't be any single powerful perks, as even the strongest perk requires you to put 4 levels of points into it to get the maximum effect.

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dem journalistic headline writing skillz.

Dem puny marketing attempts to raise market request and pour fuel on the hype-fire, before actually revealing "oh we managed to get more pipboys done but the short deadline and all that other bullshit so now we don't feel bad for selling them to you for 499.95$".

Aoyagi

Scholar
Stop calling them pipboys, those things are just cheap shiny plastic smartphone wrappers. It costs about 5p to manufacture one.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Can't wait for the class action lawsuit in ~ten years when everyone that bought one of these cheap plastic carcinogen sources ends up with some heinous wasting disease.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stop calling them pipboys, those things are just cheap shiny plastic smartphone wrappers. It costs about 5p to manufacture one.

Wow. This guy. He knows stuff. Like, dude, deeeeeep!

What don't you enlighten us on how should we address the items in question?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Good think they announced you get get a perk that prevents companions but compensates you back. I can play the game in peace without Bethesda level retards following me and I even get something for it.

Athelas

Arcane
Good think they announced you get get a perk that prevents companions but compensates you back. I can play the game in peace without Bethesda level retards following me and I even get something for it.
I'm not sure how avoiding a few bits of terrible content in a game presumably full of terrible content counts as a victory.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'm not sure how avoiding a few bits of terrible content in a game presumably full of terrible content counts as a victory.
It is a small victory. At least I don't have to suffer through romance attempts from any companion I find.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Actually if the perk does not give increased carry weight I might just take the robot with me if he is not irritating to be my mobile loot container.

Alfons

Prophet
Oh goody! You can avoid one retarded aspect of the game by taking a perk. How do you avoid the rest of the retarded shit? Not play it at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom