Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPS Top 50 RPGs

more like cock, gaper, shitgun

if deus ex is on that list then STALKER:SoC can jolly well be there too... :rpgcodex:

at number two

after deus ex :troll:

Why.jpeg

Learned
Bizarre lack of dungeon crawlers. Even if you want to make the argument the mechanics and tropes of games like Wizardry and M&M are out of date (you'd be super retarded for having that opinion) not including at least one for the last influencing of the whole sub genre is full pants on head.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Operating under assuption that Dark Souls in an RPG.. the list is "The best 50 RPGs on PC".

Dark souls on PC is shit without help of 100 modders and a trauma team. If I'm going to play broken game I'll play V:tM thank you very much, not this shit. And DS is not a fucking RPG. Same for Diablo and argggrhh this list is bait!

aratuk

Cipher
Man… Knights of Xentar is so much better than Mass Effect 2. It should really be higher on the list.

maxresdefault.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Quite a decent list actually. Like how they included a lot of the real classics of our beloved genre. Am raging a bit at them using their listing of the Witcher 3 to whine, again, about percieved exploitation and it being 'boobly'. It used to be the creepy christian grannies who wanted to censor the public library, assholes. Not the progressives.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I don't even understand Dark Souls as #1. Like it just seems like a weird choice. I mean I actually enjoy the game and all, at least for what it is, but that's just it - what it is doesn't really seem all that representative of the RPG genre, you know? It'd be like saying Europa Universalis IV is the best RTS game. While EU is a strategy game that takes place in real time, and it is a good game, it's so far outside the colloquial understanding of what an RTS is that it doesn't make any sense.

Actually, better analogy. It'd be like a list that ranked Jerusalem as the best city in Asia. Technically Jerusalem is in Asia, but if someone's looking up a list of Asian cities Jerusalem probably isn't what they have in mind, you know?

Them putting Dark Souls at #1 would be more like the Codex putting JA2 at #1 of our list. JA2 is certainly one of the best games of all time, period, and worthy of taking the top spot on many a list, but what makes it amazing isn't really the RPG-ness of it, so to speak. These kinds of lists are supposed to show games which are amazing for being RPGs, not amazing games with some peripheral RPG elements.

Deleted member 7219

There's some good stuff on that list. Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, Vampire: Bloodlines, Planescape Torment, The Witcher 3, Morrowind, Fallout. I'd strongly agree with all those choices.

Uncommonly for gaming sites, they didn't mention Fallout 3 - or they ranked Fallout: New Vegas higher than Fallout 3. This is important. Some sites out there already think Fallout 3 is the best RPG of all time.

They also gave a special mention to KOTOR 2 when they talked about KOTOR. They said it is actually the better of the two. This is also important. They mentioned Alpha Protocol (not one of my favourites, but a damn sight better than others they put on that list) and Oblivion is nowhere to be seen.

I'd say this list is ok, despite the fact that Dark Souls is number 1 and there are some really boring games on there.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. Dark Souls

LOL. There, that's exactly where I stopped reading. More like "RPS' puny attempt to troll many Codexers while at the same time gobbling on developer's diarrhoea".

Not that RPS ever held, to me, any degree of cred or authority in regard to RPGs or even videogames in general. They're just as bad as gamespot/ign/xboxmagazine.

MoonlitKnight

Educated
Ladies and gentlemen at least no Fallout 3, reason to party regardless eh?
Who am I kidding this list is shit everywhere and in between

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
These kinds of lists are supposed to show games which are amazing for being RPGs, not amazing games with some peripheral RPG elements.
I think there are two different angles you can approach the question from: either you rank the games based on how good they are as RPGs (first you must define an RPG, naturally), or you simply make a list of the best games that qualify as RPGs. Neither approach is really wrong, although almost every list seems to end up as something of a mix between the two, which usually just makes them seem random (the Codex lists included). In my opinion games like JA2, Deus Ex or System Shock 2 should either be very high on these lists (because they're arguably RPGs and among the best games ever) or not there at all (because you could see that their RPG elements are very lacking). I'd probably prefer the former, as generally the main purpose of these lists is to let people know about great games, although taking the latter approach could result in some more interesting "what is the most ideal RPG?" lists if made by people who knew something about the genre.

Gozma

Arcane
No one noticed that they linked Darth Roxor 's RPG Codex review when talking about Betrayal at Krondor?

Maybe it's telling that I did notice that while skimming, but the list contents if not order were so Codexian that I assumed a bunch of other entries had Codex reviews/blurbs too.

TigerKnee

Arcane
What I can tell from these comments is that you assholes really need to play Brogue.

Avellion

Erudite
Ehh, it could have been worse. Way worse. They listed a lot of games that people have been dismissing for stupid reasons, as well as roguelikes (including ADOM) and modern classics, all with no Dragon Age Inquisition, Fallout 3 or Oblivion in sight. Of course, its not great either, missing titles like Wizardry 7, Gothic 2, Might and Magic 6 or Arcanum.

Overall, it was better than I had expected from those guys, but that isnt saying a lot.

Deleted member 7219

Ehh, it could have been worse. Way worse. They listed a lot of games that people have been dismissing for stupid reasons, as well as roguelikes (including ADOM) and modern classics, all with no Dragon Age Inquisition, Fallout 3 or Oblivion in sight. Of course, its not great either, missing titles like Wizardry 7, Gothic 2, Might and Magic 6 or Arcanum.

Overall, it was better than I had expected from those guys, but that isnt saying a lot.

Agreed, it was such a relief that they didn't mention Dragon Age Inquisition. I don't understand the rave reviews that game got last year. Single-player MMO with one of the worst combat and skill systems I've ever seen.

Incantatar

Cipher
I tried to play DS on PC and it was completely impossible without a fucking XBOX controller. Greatest PC game ever. I wil totaly buy a fucking overpriced gamepad for one supposedly good game. :rage:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I wil totaly buy a fucking overpriced gamepad for one supposedly good game.
Nah, any basic 20-dollar gamepad will do, you just might need a fan-made patch to assign the keys properly. Keyboard and mouse are pretty much doomed, though. The PC port is horrendously bad in multiple ways, runs like shit and is more or less unplayable as vanilla, but the game itself is probably worth going through all that extra hassle.

Topher

Cipher
As much as I love them I wouldn't consider Deus Ex or System Shock RPG's and as for FTL... how is that in any fucking way what so ever a role-playing game? Hell Dark Souls stretches the boundaries but FTL is just flat out not an RPG.

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
LOL. There, that's exactly where I stopped reading. More like "RPS' puny attempt to troll many Codexers while at the same time gobbling on developer's diarrhoea".

Not that RPS ever held, to me, any degree of cred or authority in regard to RPGs or even videogames in general. They're just as bad as gamespot/ign/xboxmagazine.
So since the #1 entry is on the last page, you stopped reading at the end of the article? How edgy :troll:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

So since the #1 entry is on the last page, you stopped reading at the end of the article? How edgy :troll:

Dammit, you're not even a newfag, do I really need to spoonfeed you everything, or is it just your way to be super-old-school-edgy? I obviously clicked the spoiler button in the OP before even reading whatever was written before. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom