Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout "The Relentless Champions Of Classic Fallout" - Glittering Gems of Hatred MK2

roshan

Arcane
Just browsed through the NMA forums.... It just made me glad the Codex exists. Seeing how passively and nicely they react to Fallout 4, how there is almost no vitriol and anger, it's pretty sad. Fuck even the coverage of FO4 on their front page is generally very positive. Seems to me that RPG Codex is overall a much more inclined site.

Latro

Arcane
Just browsed through the NMA forums.... It just made me glad the Codex exists. Seeing how passively and nicely they react to Fallout 4, how there is almost no vitriol and anger, it's pretty sad. Fuck even the coverage of FO4 on their front page is generally very positive. Seems to me that RPG Codex is overall a much more inclined site.
Keep the flag flying.

Athelas

Arcane
I take it you're not familiar with the doctrine of stoicism.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I take it you're not familiar with the doctrine of Stockholm Syndrome.

Fixed it for you.

roshan

Arcane
I take it you're not familiar with the doctrine of stoicism.

Is that really the case? Or did many of the old school folks there jump ship after Fallout 3 (Possibly migrating to the Codex? A couple of the names in the article sound like familiar Codex posters.), leaving the place overrun with Bethtards? Sorry, don't know that much about NMA's history.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
And today it is a den of SJW infested political correct shithole. Also full of FO3 apologists.

Good riddance.

Turok

Erudite
Why inXile dont make a game like fallout 1 & 2 and call it with another name, Fallout 3 and 4 are not even close to the original ones, make a fallout like game will be perfect.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The sweet spot of NMA to me was after Rosh left but before they became whatever they are now.

Rosh was sad and at least 98% responsible for its bad reputation.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Between the complaints about minor minutia like the placement of the Brotherhood of Steel or the irrigation system in Megaton, you’ll find some embarrassing all-out attacks.

“It is truly unfortunate that you can’t tell the difference between the immersive and reactive universe of Fallout 1, and the nonsensical mishmash of schizophrenic vignettes that is Fallout 3. The world of Fallout 3 makes zero sense, blatantly and in your face, at every single step it works to destroy any semblance of believability or immersion,” writes a very audacious user named shihonage. “It is also truly unfortunate that you can’t tell the difference between decent and horrible writing when you see it. If anything, the sum total you should get from this, is that you should read more books and develop an actual feeling for language and taste in storytelling.”

That’s how you earn yourself a reputation.

Embarrassing for whom, Kotaku?

All in all, however, the article itself is depressing decline. I never had to "draw my own maps" with Fallout. The game remains as playable today as it ever was, you snickering retards. And going away from its "CRPG roots" is nothing to celebrate.

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Is that really the case? Or did many of the old school folks there jump ship after Fallout 3 (Possibly migrating to the Codex? A couple of the names in the article sound like familiar Codex posters.), leaving the place overrun with Bethtards? Sorry, don't know that much about NMA's history.
NMA went to shit when Rosh quit.

Viata

Arcane
How come those modders are not trying to mod New Vegas into Fallout 2 engine? I'd try if I knew how to mod that game. The game would be better.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They would probably get a Cease and Desist order from Bethesda the second it would be announced.

Bethesda would be freaking out that some modders were making the 3rd best fallout game. :M

I hope we get some great Fallout 1&2 mods, like that Van Buren project, if it doesn't become vaporware... It will be like playing "real" Fallout 3, if it won't be shit. There are some awesome ones, but they're Russian only (Fallout Nevada & Olympus 2207). :rage:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I hope we get some great Fallout 1&2 mods, like that Van Buren project, if it doesn't become vaporware... It will be like playing "real" Fallout 3, if it won't be shit. There are some awesome ones, but they're Russian only (Fallout Nevada & Olympus 2207). :rage:

Mutants Rising might come out someday.

Viata

Arcane
They would probably get a Cease and Desist order from Bethesda the second it would be announced.
Yeah. We need a person doing an anonymous work. Finish the thing, release the mod and nobody knows who did it and once on the web, can't stop it. Sadly, anyone doing this would want that attention, can't blame the person for this.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not a single mention to the Glittering Germs of Hatred episode... I'm disappoint.

I liked NMA, but it's really just a Fallout fansite. The Codex will always be better, with the variety and diversity that allow you to hate and rant about anything.

roshan

Arcane
Not a single mention to the Glittering Germs of Hatred episode... I'm disappoint.

I liked NMA, but it's really just a Fallout fansite. The Codex will always be better, with the variety and diversity that allow you to hate and rant about anything.

It really feels like those guys got left behind, too attached to the name and the setting to move forward to find Falloutesque gameplay in other RPGs, be it classics like Planescape Torment and Arcanum, or SITS, AOD and Underrail in the modern era (even Wasteland 2 seems to have gotten only mild attention there). So they had no choice except to compromise and reconcile themselves with the trash that Fallout has become synonymous to.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I replied to that article with a rant. It will probably not get approved.

http://kotaku.com/i-stand-by-every-word-i-said-about-fallout-3-all-it-re-1716171786

I stand by every word I said about Fallout 3. All it really takes is looking at the “Nearly Ultimate Fallout Guide” and seeing just how much depth and reactivity was in the world. Once you read that thing and see how responsive the games were to your character build, actions, how much depth was behind its scripting, your opinion of Fallout 3 will change. HAS to change, if you actually deep yourself “open-minded”... and what a vastly abused term that is.

To declare the originals to be “nostalgic outdated products of bygone era, etc” is intellectually lazy and reeks of ignorance. We have a generation of gamers who are unable to see beyond appearances, and naively believe that graphics engines and gameplay evolved over time at equal pace.

This particular discussion is filled with content-free, kneejerk comments with people who either never played the originals, or they addressed them like a linear Diablo-type romp, “beat” them, and in return got exactly what they put into them.

What really happened, of course, is that Fallout 1/2 were on the forefront of innovation in the late 90s.

Since then, gameplay technology took giant leaps backwards. While the focus of F1/2 was on creating as convincing illusion of freedom as possible, modern games are merely walking simulators, where you’re still locked into the story like a straitjacket, but hey, you can travel all over a giant map, meaninglessly wasting time. Case in point: GTA, Far Cry, Skyrim/Fallout3.

Mass Effect pretends to have choice&consequence, but it barely has any. The popularity of consoles ensured survival and thriving of the “dudebro” version of RPGs, where instead of gameplay depth or meaningful choices, you get awkward sex scenes.

I never had to “draw maps” while playing Fallout. This statement betrays the article author’s ignorance of the franchise. Fallout’s interface was and is very workable, and the Steam version works fine on modern machines. And if you have a problem with small UI... lower your screen resolution. Problem solved.

The irony is that Fallout 1’s 3D assets which were later dithered and scaled down into 640x480 8-bit graphics, had higher polygon counts and better artistic style than any models in Fallout 3. So despite the game looking pixelated or blurry these days, it has better aesthetics.

It also has an easier-to-use, less confusing interface. It has color and character to its visuals, and its world was designed with some thought. The writing is compact and effective, and the dialogue system in itself is far ahead of Fallout 3’s, not to mention the DM-simulating description window.

Fallout was an innovative game, at the forefront of many gameplay advancement which we never got to see expanded upon. Fallout: New Vegas took some of them, i.e. modular settlement outcomes, but it still wasn’t as reactive of a world on the same granular level as Fallout1/2 were.

The world design was better, and was filled with memorable locations and characters. The freedom of player action was there. The writing was better. The combat was better. Your stats affected a ton more things than they did in Fallout 3.

In Fallout 4, they already declared that the dog will be invulnerable, because they want to shove a bunch of cinematic scripting down the player’s throat.

But why would the player ever care about the dog if the dog cannot die?

Coincidentally, Dogmeat was one of the most attached-to characters in original Fallout. Players went to tremendous lengths to keep him alive, even though, through a gradual increase in combat difficulty, he was nearly-destined to die.

Bethesda never got Fallout, and they never will. The article’s author gleefully mentions the series going away from its CRPG roots, as if that is good thing.

This kind of lack of consumer discernment between genres is why I buy a shooter like Far Cry 3 and my first task is to skin boars to gain more bags for weapons, and then I buy an RPG like Skyrim and do essentially the same thing.

This sort of meaningless genre interbleed is why I try to play Alien:Isolation and throw hands up in frustration when it makes me “craft” things. You thought old CRPGs wasted time? Oh Lordy, they got nothing on slow walking simulators and bear hide crafting time-wasters of today.

In Fallout you could actually RUN. You could also speed up combat tremendously. The fast travel system was frustration-free and provided a great sense of a much larger world than there actually was, through its encounter system. Not all those encounters were about combat, either.

Wasteland 2? Never was meant to be Fallout, never became Fallout. It was just Brian Fargo’s simplistic vision of Wasteland, Fallout’s spiritual predecessor, which nonetheless had more atmosphere and immersion factor than did Wasteland 2. Essentially he made a squad shooter, something like Fallout: Tactics, but with less atmosphere and depth.

Protip: throwing tomes of filler text at “those nerds” doesn’t mean your game is deep. It just means you have a certain simplistic vision of your demographic, and in the end you’re making dog food. Quantity over quality and all.

But anyway... there are many detailed criticisms that can be aimed at Fallout3, and have been for years. You can find them on NMA and RPG Codex, and I won’t repeat them all here. The bottom line is, Fallout 3 is more than a terrible game. Its success is a symbol of cultural decline.

That decline is real, and this article and its comments represent the sordid reality of it all.

Develop some intellectual curiosity, for god’s sake. Stop treating games like clowns that entertain you while you passively lay back on your couch. When you vote with your wallet, the industry has to change.

It must change.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom