Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Athelas

Arcane

:D

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
your guy

he's got something red on his face

maybe you should change the color

ROARRR
:notsureifserious:

but
here an ugly quickfix
wx5Fqwx.gif

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
:retarded:

You went and-

No I wasn't serious. I thought the difference in style...

Just trolling your color fetish.

ROARRR said:
color: black-->how can I change the backround color????? said:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Meh, not terribly excited about MCA being a professional stretch goal, I'd rather see him as a creative lead.
Yeah why is he only writing what is probably a small part of a game. He should be a lead writer on a new IP or something if he's going to continue writing in games. I'm figuring people would jump at the chance to hire him but maybe his reputation isn't as good in the industry as we think or maybe he's just waiting for the right opportunity.

Fairfax

Arcane
Meh, not terribly excited about MCA being a professional stretch goal, I'd rather see him as a creative lead.
Yeah why is he only writing what is probably a small part of a game. He should be a lead writer on a new IP or something if he's going to continue writing in games. I'm figuring people would jump at the chance to hire him but maybe his reputation isn't as good in the industry as we think or maybe he's just waiting for the right opportunity.
I think he's also expensive to hire. The guy used to be creative director and a partner at Obsidian, plus the experience, skills, etc.

Is Chris Avellone gonna keep sprinkling in small amounts of his quality writing over every RPG that gets released in the next 10 years instead of leading on his own? Is he afraid of leadership? Is everyone else a moron that underestimates his writing? Does he have a dark secret that prevents him from making a game too good? Is he actually only mediocre and I am over-rating him way too much? Yes. To all of the above.

buzz

Arcane
He's too busy scavenging every trash can in Arcanum in order to fully lead a new project.

Endemic

Arcane
My guess is he had long standing disagreements with Feargus and the other co-owners (creativity and fiscal realities often collide). Having his work on PoE cut down was the proverbial straw breaking the camel's back.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Toe in the water? If he makes it into BT4 he will have worked on every single inXile Kickstarter RPG

I suppose I mean if he still has the same "stretch goal" draw he has had in previous KS he's been a part of. This will give Fargo (and MCA for that matter) a gauge by which they can assume the impact he would have by being advertised as the "next lead on InXile's Mangum Opus of RPGs... VAN BUREN!!!" when they decide to launch it later.
Using this announcement to gauge the interest on Chris Avellone when no one gives a shit about blobbers is not a smart business decision.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Well there are ca 31.000 backers minus paypal backers and the Kickstarter is at 1,395 Mil .
If every backer theoretically raises his pledge about 20 $, than 1,9 Mil is easily reached.
So maybe inxile is trying to tab that pool?
But I didn´t read the Obsidian Forums to make an overview what the people think about Mr. Aves leaving.
So I think:
Using this announcement to gauge the interest on Chris Avellone when no one gives a shit about blobbers is not a smart business decision.
is an interesting claim.
Why do you think that?
:martini:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Chris Avellone might also be there to stimulate post-Kickstarter backers. Even if they attain 1.9 million in late development they can just bill his dungeon as free DLC for backers.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Is Chris Avellone gonna keep sprinkling in small amounts of his quality writing over every RPG that gets released in the next 10 years instead of leading on his own? Is he afraid of leadership? Is everyone else a moron that underestimates his writing? Does he have a dark secret that prevents him from making a game too good? Is he actually only mediocre and I am over-rating him way too much? Yes. To all of the above.
With the way Obsidian projects get cancelled left and right, I wouldn't be suprised he was actually a lead on a few of them... its just that we didn't see it. Dead babies can't fly.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
He's a good writer but nowhere near as good as some of the people here would have you believe.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
He's a good writer but nowhere near as good as some of the people here would have you believe.

Final Fantasy

:hahano:

Final Fantasy Tactics is a pretty dark game.

Most key characters die, some in pretty tragic and psychologically perverse circumstances. Even guy who commits the story to writing gets burned at a stake as a heretic in the epilogue. Party saves the world, but costs them their happiness and/or lives and the truth gets suppressed

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom