Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I just finished Fallout 3...

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Fallout 3 paved the path for New Vegas, which makes it worthy in its own right.

New Vegas is shit. Fallout 3 is radioactive shit.

If those games were unrelated to the Fallout universe, I could play them for 1hr each and not think of them again. As they are related to the two best games ever made (FO1&2), I feel an urge to spit on them on a regular basis.

I'm sorry.

You're a faggot.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Yeah I'm serious.

Sorry to break it to you, but you're the fags here.

:kfc:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If you think that the retardo-fest called Fallout 2 is even close to being the best game ever, your IRL stats are probably close to Todd's.

fallout-4-special.jpg

Fallout is a masterpiece, of course.

the_shadow

Arcane
Certainly not the combat, unless you enjoy all the thrill of running backwards firing wildly at the opponents or, if you're feeling extra tactical, hiding round a corner and blowing their heads off in VATS when they come up to you.

We must not have been playing the same game. Running backwards while shooting isn't an effective strategy, since most melee enemies run faster than you/lunge. And needless to say, you can't outrun bullets. As for hiding behind a corner, that works for the first few levels against raiders and other shit enemies, but it ceases to be an effective strategy when you can no longer one-two knockout enemies due to their increased health. I'm not going to say that the combat is anything amazing, but the choice between V.A.T.S and real-time, and the variety of weapons, makes it enjoyable.

The writing is terrible, as previously noted, and it doesn't continue the story of the previous games so not even the lure of seeing how things turn out applies.

I don't disagree that the writing is weak. Then again, you'd be hard pressed to find old school RPGs with good writing, so why is that such a black mark against Fallout 3?

There's no real role playing to be done. If you were strictly role playing, you'd never visit 95% of the locations, because there's no reason ever to go to them.

No reason for you, perhaps. Simply because the main questline doesn't drag you through 95% of the world's location by your nose, doesn't mean that players aren't going to want to do side-quests and exploration.

The only reason you'd play it is because it's soothing. You get to turn your brain off and make no decisions for an hour or so, just hit the forward key and occasionally click the mouse, kind of like a really expensive version of minesweeper.

Some people would say the same about Morrowind.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Somberlain

So, you like Fallout 1, but you don't like Fallout 2...

Ok... I guess...

You probably like New Vegas though. Coolk, I think.

And you escalate game discussions to personal attacks over the internet. Awesome.

Much respect for your opinions sir!

:kingcomrade:

Cthulhu_is_love

Yeah, that's right Fallout 1 is superior to 2 (but not far). But I can't understand the hate about FNV; i like it.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

the_shadow

Arcane
By the way, I notice that people are pointing out the massive oversight that you can't send your radiation resistant mutant ally into the radioactive purifier. However, you *can* send the head of the Lyon's Pride in instead. That's what I did in my playthrough, and I doubled over laughing at her indignant response and tirade about 'chivalry'. When she collapsed in the purifier chamber, all I could think was 'Hah, suck shit! Better you than me! :D)

baturinsky

Arcane
F:NV is trying too much to be Fallout 2. NV designers has correctly diagnosed what was good in F2 and implemented it as close as they could on F3 engine. And they did not do bad. But they were not pouring their own dreams, souls and visions into it, like F 1/2 designers did, they have just made a quality imitation of someone's else dreams and visions.

the_shadow

Arcane
F:NV is trying too much to be Fallout 2. NV designers has correctly diagnosed what was good in F2 and implemented it as close as they could on F3 engine.

?!?! Fallout 2 and F:NV are completely different animals. They are both great games.

- Super Mutants? Now we got a new race, and 99% of the ones seen in-game are retarded cannibal super-orcs at war with humanity because... fucketh if I know. There's sort of a sub-plot about them, their threat to Capital Wasteland, fighting BOS, etc. But its abandoned and ultimately forgotten. Remember - so far as we know, its a huge army of dumb-dumbs, not a smart mastermind mutant or human manipulator in sight, no Master or Lieutenant figure, just hulking retards that a few platoons of modern-day soldiers with FN-FALs or AKs and explosives would take care of in a while, the smart guys are outcasts, dead or hidden away like Fawkes. Yet, somehow these retards manage to keep an army running, with working guns and decent stocks of ammo - while back West the dumb-dumbs are pretty much cannon-fodder that the Master kept around to increase his numbers and serve under the smart NCOs and commanders, their physical might and big guns are the only reason they're a threat.

The capital wasteland muties come from Vault 87, which was blessed with the honor of being a FEV research and test lab. Its doors also got a face full of nuclear cum during the war, which presumably fucked up the virus even more. And lastly, the lack of a mastermind turned them into a kind of cult, where they keep vatting people just to make more of themselves and have no real plan beyond that. They're also not very good at it, which can be seen with the failed subjects in the vault. All this combined to make the capital wasteland muties particularly retarded feral.

Last edited:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Apologist drivel, what's with all this shit lately?

Fo3/NV simply have no reason to exist and carry that name. None.

baturinsky

Arcane
F:NV is trying too much to be Fallout 2. NV designers has correctly diagnosed what was good in F2 and implemented it as close as they could on F3 engine.

?!?! Fallout 2 and F:NV are completely different animals. They are both great games.

Maybe on ground level they are. But what's special about F2 is world building. How things you see and do in difference places of the world tie in a one big plot of political struggle between NCR, Vault City, New Reno families and Enclave.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I think the idea of a nicer BOS splinter (think Followers of the Apocalypse, but they pack serious iron) is interesting. Would't surprise me if the guys sent to the expedition were know to have unorthodox thoughts in the first place - the Brotherhood pretty much got rid of a similar bunch in FOT by sending them on airships (which may or may have not been deliberately made to fall) to go after mutants. It was just implemented horribly because the Brotherhood are written like incompetents and retards. Bunch of BOS soldiers barely hold the line against a bunch of big green ugly dumb-dumbs - and they don't even do anything but stay there and shoot at mutants in the middle of ruin - no scouting, no going after the source of mutants, nothing. Can't even tell them that Vault 89 is a mutant-infested hell-hole and they should totes send someone to clean it.

Meanwhile, in Fallout New Vegas, around a hundred BOS fighting in a bad defensive spot because of a maniac with excessive faith in wunderwaffen inflict thousands of casualties on the NCR Military, which is way better organized and armed than mutant dumb-dumbs. That's a defeat. Imagine a win.
Joining the BoS was the only ending missing from F: NV. Get some final quest, much like the one Yes Man gives you, to just assassinate all the important figures and to start another battle for Hoover Dam. Maybe find some well guarded archives NCR and House have and delete them. Then return to the BoS and wait for everyone to kill each other or use House's robot army to kill everyone and then hide his technology away. Man that would have been so good.

likaq

Arcane
It has great cRPG mechanics but is stuck in that fucking fucking shitty F3 engine.

New Vegas modded to the silent storm engine would be the 2nd best Fallout game. Period.

Fixed that for you.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think the idea of a nicer BOS splinter (think Followers of the Apocalypse, but they pack serious iron) is interesting. Would't surprise me if the guys sent to the expedition were know to have unorthodox thoughts in the first place - the Brotherhood pretty much got rid of a similar bunch in FOT by sending them on airships (which may or may have not been deliberately made to fall) to go after mutants. It was just implemented horribly because the Brotherhood are written like incompetents and retards. Bunch of BOS soldiers barely hold the line against a bunch of big green ugly dumb-dumbs - and they don't even do anything but stay there and shoot at mutants in the middle of ruin - no scouting, no going after the source of mutants, nothing. Can't even tell them that Vault 89 is a mutant-infested hell-hole and they should totes send someone to clean it.

Meanwhile, in Fallout New Vegas, around a hundred BOS fighting in a bad defensive spot because of a maniac with excessive faith in wunderwaffen inflict thousands of casualties on the NCR Military, which is way better organized and armed than mutant dumb-dumbs. That's a defeat. Imagine a win.
Joining the BoS was the only ending missing from F: NV. Get some final quest, much like the one Yes Man gives you, to just assassinate all the important figures and to start another battle for Hoover Dam. Maybe find some well guarded archives NCR and House have and delete them. Then return to the BoS and wait for everyone to kill each other or use House's robot army to kill everyone and then hide his technology away. Man that would have been so good.

Seems like a crazier version of the Wild Card Ending, except no robot army around just means someone will move in and take over.

The Brotherhood in the Mojave is a small chapter, the Hidden Valley has like a hundred people in it (at best). If they did something like that, the NCR and the Legion would just swarm the Mojave until the Brotherhood was dead. They don't have the manpower to be a big boy in the geopolitics scene anymore, and the Brotherhood was never big in politics and would rather just do their thing

Agree even with Courier who is one man/womyn/cyborg army their numbers are to few to be conventional power but Brotherhood + Robot Army Cohorts + Tech recovered from Old Times Blues =

adeptus-mechanicus-1680x1050-wallpaper-857801.png

By the way, I notice that people are pointing out the massive oversight that you can't send your radiation resistant mutant ally into the radioactive purifier. However, you *can* send the head of the Lyon's Pride in instead. That's what I did in my playthrough, and I doubled over laughing at her indignant response and tirade about 'chivalry'. When she collapsed in the purifier chamber, all I could think was 'Hah, suck shit! Better you than me! :D)

It's amusing when it's you two (the narrator calls you a pussy), but still pretty terrible if the radiation-immune allies are right over there. She still dies if you send her in with Broken Steel installed and the radiation spike was changed to non-lethal levels, fucking women.

The "oh we added companions late in development so we couldn't adapt the planned ending dilemma for the robot/ghoul/supermutant" is so obviously bullshit it's amazing. Come on, they even have dialogue explaining why they won't walk into the chamber for you. If you had time to record that, you had time to script a sequence where the good old "you go ahead and I hold the line here in the corridor" or "ceiling rubble separates you and Lyons from the rest of the group" tricks are used to explain why they can't go into the chamber. It's contrived but not outright inane. You could argue that the ghoul is glad to see you go because he's an indentured servant who isn't technically obligated to save you from killing yourself and the robot is just acting according to his fucked-up personality, but Fawkes was introduced as a genuinely nice, smart guy who is willing to go into irradiated places for you, retrieving the GECK from vault 87. Said vault incidentally happens to be less irradiated than the purifier chamber because if you end up killing Fawkes at the prison cell you can retrieve the GECK yourself, using a hazmat suit and popping some Rad-X.

'Oh, but we really wanted to make an ending about noble sacrifices because it's cool". Ugh, fine. But then in Broken Steel they just go and change said dialogue to how they will totally go into the chamber for you (+ an ending slide which is a screenshot in sepia tone with voiceover) which just cements it as the weakest excuse since Molyneux began Molyneuxing to make you buy an expansion. Most people swallowed it up just fine, of course. Any thread pointing this out will have a snarky reply saying it's been fixed in Broken Steel, as if needing an expansion to fix a plot hole is something that happens all the time. Perhaps the most clumsy bit of all is how if you decide to enter the chamber yourself, you and Lyons just go into a coma for two weeks, but if you send her she'll die. So the sacrifice isn't possible anymore even if you're LARPing Jesus and want to do it.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It would have been easy to just have the final mission remove companions for whatever reason. "They're fighting elsewhere!" or something. Maybe force Lyons as a companion for the end. Ten times better than "it's your destiny to go in there and die even though I could do it easily with no trouble."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom