Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Explain Van Buren

ColCol

Arcane
I keep hearing about the Van Buren project, but I don't quite get the point/appeal of it. What is it? Fallout with the serial number filed off?

ColCol

Arcane
Um, none of these really answers. I'm talking about the recent inXile Van Buren project. That is a thing right? It can't possibly be a fallout 3 remake with the fallout removed.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm guessing it's InXile's own attempt at a Fallout clone with Avellone's involvement. It obviously is going to be a brand new story (although possiblity set in the Wasteland universe) - the idea of recycling Van Buren's plot and surgically removing any and all Fallout details is indeed fairly absurd.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm guessing it's InXile's own attempt at a Fallout clone with Avellone's involvement. It obviously is going to be a brand new story (although possiblity set in the Wasteland universe) - the idea of recycling Van Buren's plot and surgically removing any and all Fallout details is indeed fairly absurd.

They're pretty much doing the same thing with Torment.

Athelas

Arcane

They're pretty much doing the same thing with Torment.
They're not recycling PS:T in a new setting, at least not that I'm aware of.

Also, Torment isn't owned by Bethesda.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Actually, it wouldn't be that hard, the main thing one would have to remove is the whole NCR-BoS War thing but IMO its narratively the least interesting of the possibilities presented by Van Buren's script elements. Everything that's actually pivotally important can be executed in any manner of post-atomic war world which allows for fantastical science with very little changes.

Athelas

Arcane
Actually, it wouldn't be that hard, the main thing one would have to remove is the whole NCR-BoS War thing but IMO its narratively the least interesting of the possibilities presented by Van Buren's script elements. Everything that's actually pivotally important can be executed in any manner of post-atomic war world which allows for fantastical science with very little changes.
When I said it was 'absurd', I meant from a legal perspective.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
When I said it was 'absurd', I meant from a legal perspective.
Well, I can't really say anything in that regard, since I'm not familiar with the exact extent to which American plagiarism laws would apply to an barebones overview of what a script would contain for a game that was never finished and which hasn't been worked on for over ten years (our little fan project notwithstanding). I'm no lawyer. But key point to understand is that there are practically no actually vital "Fallout details" in the story, everything about it is fairly trivial to work into a non-Fallout form.

pippin

I think the real question is: what do you have left once you remove everything that was already used in New Vegas?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think the real question is: what do you have left once you remove everything that was already used in New Vegas?
What ever crazy and fun stuff Avelone comes up with. Maybe it would be a mix of Torment and Fallout?
Something with Alien species and mutant civilizations and all kinds of crazy stuff. Fallout was more low tech, Van Buren could be moved more into post post apocalypse where civilization is already coming back?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I keep hearing about the Van Buren project, but I don't quite get the point/appeal of it. What is it? Fallout with the serial number filed off?

Keep hearing from who?

It's just a name that inXile trademarked. It could just be a cheeky subtitle they attach to a Wasteland 3 Kickstarter someday. Or something else entirely. If they end up using it at all - even that isn't certain. They trademarked Meantime too, remember.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Trademarking a project name... I don't see the point.

Any Fallout-clone coming from inXile will almost certainly use the Wasteland setting – maybe toning down on the wackiness a bit.

pippin

What ever crazy and fun stuff Avelone comes up with. Maybe it would be a mix of Torment and Fallout?
Something with Alien species and mutant civilizations and all kinds of crazy stuff. Fallout was more low tech, Van Buren could be moved more into post post apocalypse where civilization is already coming back?

My guess is that Brian Fargo wants to make a Wasteland 3 with Van Buren's remaining elements, which is mostly a crazy doctor, man-hating and lsd-taking amazons, a more organized Caesar's Legion... and raiders of different colors and sizes, from what I remember right now. But yeah, the Wasteland universe is more crazy than Fallout's, so we'll have to see.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Trademarking a project name... I don't see the point.

Any Fallout-clone coming from inXile will almost certainly use the Wasteland setting – maybe toning down on the wackiness a bit.

Cheap hype value.
Obviously, the point's not about recuperating the work Black Isle did on the project, since it was pretty much nothing but a 3D engine. The good bits about the scenario in progress have already been reused in New Vegas, and that'd be horrifying to consider that creativity at inXile is so numb they actually have to buy some right to use such an amazing concept like a crazy doctor.

Dorateen

Arcane
Doc_Brown.JPG

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
My guess is, if this thing goes forward with Chris Avellone as the lead, it will basically be the original story (maybe a modified version) of what he had going for Van Buren, which still hasn't been done. His main idea which he's talked about frequently was that the player's main antagonist(s) in the game would be a rival group of adventurers who would also effect the world the same way the player would. It's an interesting concept, and he still hasn't done it. Maybe some other elements of the story (his story) as well would be preserved. Since it's sort of a vague idea, it could really be ported into a variety of settings, such as the Wasteland setting, or something they make up specifically for the game.

As far as I can tell regarding New Vegas, only the factions (i.e. Caesar's Legion, etc.) got carried over from Van Buren. The rest (story, etc.) was all new.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What DS and Infinitron said. It's probably just a KickStarter pitch for WL3. It's unlikely the released product will be called "Van Buren", although anything is possible.

Last edited:

Zeronet

Learned
Why has nobody considered they might make a RPG about President Van Buren?

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Given how it is pretty likely that if you care about the Van Buren project, you have probably at least read the general plot outline, I can't imagine them using the old story with the Fallout bits removed. My guess is a Wasteland 3 marketing ploy, with the storyline having some of the broad elements of Interplay's F3 plot(Virus, crazy scientist, mysterious prison, etc.) at the most.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
if this thing goes forward with Chris Avellone as the lead
Never. Ever. is the only phrase that comes to mind. Avellone is out of serious gamedev business, get over it.

I wish it wasn't so, but it is...

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Never. Ever. is the only phrase that comes to mind. Avellone is out of serious gamedev business, get over it.
You need to read more carefully what Avellone has said regarding his Obsidian departure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom