Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Even less people will bother to play it if they start charging for it. I liked Rag vs Nefarian, but the Banana thing was embarassing.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
I truly hope that people start playing this is a legitimate deck and hit high legend and bring it to tournaments:

Carceri

Arcane
Got a decent pack from Arena today, hehe

0Tg3kVN.jpg
Dude, GTFO! ...I mean, good job or something.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Any idea on what the next Brawl will be about? And how soon will they start charging for it, this 1 free pack a week can't keep on going. This is Blizzard.
They'll never charge for it. As far as the free deck, I can see them continuing it. It's only a pack a week and it's arguably good to help newer players. Seasoned players are probably dusting most cards, anyway, so it's maybe 50ish dust on average week which is pretty trivial

Grubba

Arcane
I liked Rag vs Nefarian, but the Banana thing was embarassing.

I thought the opposite. The pre-built deck brawl sucked ass, big time. Banana brawl was better because it let people get some use out of cards from their collection that would otherwise sit unused (questing adventurer, imp master, mana addict). Also created some pretty crazy board states, spectated a game where a priest had two wild pyromancers on the board and it was an inferno.

As far as ladder goes, I've played mech shaman exclusively this month and got up to rank 5 for the first time ever. Feels good men.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Banana Brawl sucked because the tempo mage deck with a couple of tech cards (like troggzor lol) had no bad matchups. Sure - when people don't play a deck like that the mode has some potential.

Grubba

Arcane
The mode has potential because it changes every week. Butthurt over the mage's banana bursting all over your face? That's ok, it'll (hopefully) all be different next wednesday

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's butthurt to say something sucked... when it, in fact, sucked? It was extremely uncreative and amounted to little more than giving every minion a spare parts deathrattle.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
The mode has potential because it changes every week. Butthurt over the mage's banana bursting all over your face? That's ok, it'll (hopefully) all be different next wednesday

The core of Flamewaker, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Mirror Entity, and Antonidas give the mage a far greater advantage than any other class by a wide margin. There was no other non-mage deck that actually had a positive matchup against it. Obviously it could lose to incredibly bad draws or whatever.

Here is an example of the deck: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/265840-banana-brawl-tempo-mage-84-winrate

Obviously it could've been fine tuned even further.

If you think that calmly and rationally explaining why Banana Brawl was bad is "butthurt" then you either have an incredibly widespread definition of "butthurt" or you need to get that blizz dick outta your mouth.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is it good that they're trying to add some new features to the game? Sure. But the amount of money they rake in the size of the team is a joke as is the content they put out. So far the pace is one set of 30ish cards (where maybe half a dozen are good) and another set of 100ish cards (similar proportion of useful ones) per year. Game is stagnating fast.

Grubba

Arcane
If you think that calmly and rationally explaining why Banana Brawl was bad is "butthurt" then you either have an incredibly widespread definition of "butthurt" or you need to get that blizz dick outta your mouth.

Ya, I'm a blizzard fanboy :roll:. I guess I just have a broad definition of butthurt. It is a fun word to use.

Ya the mage deck was clearly the best but I'm not gonna get upset about it because the environment it was built for only existed for five days. What else do you expect to happen? No matter what rules they come up with for these brawls, chances are pretty good that one or two strong builds will emerge and dominate. That's just how it's gonna work with an internet based game, community netdecking and all that shit. At least it gets people thinking and talking about something different than the usual ladder metagame.

Now...we just gotta see if they come up with some incentive to keep brawling after the free-pack intro period ends. If there's nothing, fuck it.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet

Ya, I'm a blizzard fanboy :roll:. I guess I just have a broad definition of butthurt. It is a fun word to use.

Ya the mage deck was clearly the best but I'm not gonna get upset about it because the environment it was built for only existed for five days. What else do you expect to happen? No matter what rules they come up with for these brawls, chances are pretty good that one or two strong builds will emerge and dominate. That's just how it's gonna work with an internet based game, community netdecking and all that shit. At least it gets people thinking and talking about something different than the usual ladder metagame.

Now...we just gotta see if they come up with some incentive to keep brawling after the free-pack intro period ends. If there's nothing, fuck it.

I'm not upset either. I don't think anybody is upset. I think a large number are disappointed because this was "THE BIG FEATURE" in a game that has a staggering laundry list of legitimate things that people want implemented. Banana Brawl in particular was very lazy, and the problem is that there was ONE build that was strong, and it had no real counters. At least RvN, as unbalanced as it was put in the effort of making those decks.

Metro pretty much has it summarized - people are baffled that a game this huge with this much money being funneled into it has so little to show for it. It's Riot Games' league of shitters all over again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's Blizzard's MO in a nutshell. They try to get away with as little effort as possible to maximize the bottom line. It's especially true with F2P shit because adding another mode isn't necessarily going to get people to buy more packs. They're going to have to do something, though, because eventually people a lot of players are going to have close to all of the cards making the $1-2 or whatever it is investment per pack terrible. Especially for good players who can consistently get 9+ wins in Arena. There's no reason to spend money on the game since you have tons of gold. Their revenue is going to start taking a nosedive unless they add more reasons for people to spend cash aside from shitty hero portraits.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Blizzard is really trying hard to come up with a shittier Brawl every week.

This is even worse than the banana stuff. Admittedly, people asked for Webspinner/Portal mirror matches, probably not realizing how bad it would be.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
This shitty brawl is making me rage hard.

Bad brawl, bad pack, see you next week

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Uhhhhh this brawl is approximately infinitely better than the banana one. I don't think the euro brain can fathom how bad banana brawl was.

hivemind

so on the asian servers I get a 9 win arena with a completely shit paladin and on EU my alright mage gets utterly stomped by amazing decks twice in a row right off the bat

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Rag vs Nef doesn't seem that bad now does it

No. No it doesn't

:negative:

Rag vs Nef gave bad players a chance to get Nef and curbstomp with a goldfishey opening - both a good and a bad thing. With proper play and no ridiculous asspulls, it was a decently fun game mode.

Banana Brawl was literally just "play tempo mage for free wins if you care" anyone who says otherwise is delusional.

Webspinner brawl... still deciding. Going to need to see the decklists. So far I feel like paladin getting Consecration + Muster puts them pretty far ahead... but it's tough to tell. Biggest gripe is the games often go to like turn 20 as these shitty Captain's Parrots and the 1/4 taunt gorilla slowly smack each other in the face. At least there's much more WACKY going on then mage masturbation. New players can actually play the mode, which is nice.

Dunno why they don't make a mini-ladder. Give some stupid reward for reaching Brawl-Legend. (obviously brawl-legend wouldn't take nearly as many wins to reach as regular legend) A card back, or even just some more packs. Card backs really shouldn't be that hard to make btw. They could just make a bunch of generic cardbacks and put a mug on it to signify tavern brawl.

On that note, it's embarrassing the Blizzard hasn't made a unique legend card back for every season. Just take the regular card back and slap a legendary symbol on it. Should take 1 artist on the team a couple of hours max.

hivemind

I lost two of the brawl games in a row to a charge rhino + hyena combo

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom