Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Update #99: Expansion Companion Descriptions, Patch 2.0 Notes

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Carrie Patel; Eric Fenstermaker; Justin Britch; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Pillars of Eternity: The White March

Today's Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter update is brought to you by Justin Britch, a new member of Obsidian's army of producers, who has been placed in charge of the Pillars of Eternity: The White March expansion. The update formally introduces the expansion to those backers who hadn't been paying attention to E3 or the gaming press and reveals more information on its two new companions. It also includes a patch notes video narrated by Adam Brennecke, demonstrating the expansion's new features. No release date yet, though. Here's the video and the companion descriptions:

Zahua
From Eric Fenstermaker:

Zahua comes from an agrarian people known as the Tacan that dwells in the Ixamitl (ih-SHAH-mitt -ull) Plains to the north. (You may have known him as Forton once, but we renamed him to reflect his region of origin.) He belongs to the Nalpazca, a strict order of warrior-monks that constitutes the Tacan's standing army.

The Nalpazca distinguish between the material world and the imagined world of perceptions, feelings, and false structures, seeing the latter as the limiting force that prevents a person's transcendence. They employ extreme practices to remain ever-conscious of what is truly real, and are known for exhibiting bizarre anti-social behavior in public settings, consuming powerful hallucinogenic drugs, and inflicting great pain upon themselves, all so as to allow themselves to "see more clearly." There are even rumored to ritualistically cannibalize the flesh of the recent dead so that they might come to terms with their own mortality, though such rumors have the ring of superstition.

Zahua is the greatest living practitioner of Nalpazca beliefs, and even as you meet him, he is in continual pursuit of their ideals, which he believes will transform him into an unbeatable combatant. Above all, he believes in suffering as the path to enlightenment, and nearly every inch of his body is covered in scars - mostly self-inflicted. While some might see that as a grim or depressing viewpoint, from Zahua's perspective, suffering is a thing of beauty, to be admired and revered, and he is often able to appreciate situations that would dishearten most others. (Perhaps with a little too much cheer for some people's taste.)

The player will meet and get to know Zahua as a party member in White March Part I, and then his vision quest will come into focus later, in Part II.

The Devil of Caroc
From Carrie Patel:

The Devil of Caroc is a bronze golem inhabited by the soul of a convicted murderer. She's ruthless and relentless, yet something about the player piques her interest when they first meet.

The Devil was once a trapper in Cold Morn, a village that became notorious for its role in the Saint's War. When she and her neighbors let the Readceran troops pass through town unopposed, they became a symbol of treachery and cowardice throughout Dyrwood. The Purges that swept the country began in Cold Morn, and everyone the Devil ever knew perished when an angry mob burned the village to the ground. The Devil survived and sought revenge on the men and women who set her home ablaze.

She's still a rustic at heart, but her crude manners belie cunning and a cynical sense of humor.

So Forton made it in after all, eh? Maybe they'll bring back Cadegund for Part II.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Much fucking needed improvements, nice to see them, mostly hated having to micromanage every fucking instant of the battle because the companion AI wasn't smart enough to at least autoattack after casting a spell, and the range indicators are awesome too, makes you wonder why these options weren't included in version 1.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Last companion's far more likely to be a barbarian than another cleric. It'd fit the frozen north theme too.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
For all Josh was saying about the great environment art in the expansions, it doesn't even really stack up to the base game so far. Hopefully they're not showing the best stuff or they haven't done paintovers yet.

Gicusan

Educated
Game was not very bad, but not good enough for a second play. And those new features... not convincing me. You got a lot more work to put into the writing, the itemization and the combat (fights will not get better by making nps's auto-fight. most probably it will make them even more boring.) Just drop the RTwP shit and prepare the engine for a TB PoE2 with this enhanced edition occasion - one can only hope. Or just move into mainstream with it and leave us alone - I am certain the papamole horde is more easily dealt with than the Codex. Now there are actual good games around and we dont really need something as halfhearted as Obsidian obviously can muster nowadays.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Or just move into mainstream with it and leave us alone - I am certain the papamole horde is more easily dealt with than the Codex.

Bioware's psycho-exes never got over Bioware's betrayal after all these years, they're not going to just leave Obsidian alone. This is the audience they chose.

Gicusan

Educated
Then maybe it is time they actually service the people that put money into their game.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
For a second, I thought it was a League of Legends Patch update video. He sounds like Phreak.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Or just move into mainstream with it and leave us alone - I am certain the papamole horde is more easily dealt with than the Codex. Now there are actual good games around and we dont really need something as halfhearted as Obsidian obviously can muster nowadays.

does playing twitcher makes one so edgy? perhaps it's just simply that i missed cdp developing for the niche.

Gicusan

Educated
I am angry because I had expectations from the game. I enjoyed it to a certain degree but I ultimately got bored with it. Others are moving on. Original Sin is getting an interesting revamp on top of a good game already and I cant wait to play it again. Wasteland 2 had its problems but that was within my expectations and Fargo is much better at branding compared to the "no fun allowed" character. Not to mention decent TB combat. And I plan to play it again. Other games hit on more or less. I was sure combat will be uninteresting in PoE, but I expected better, more plausible writing, some better itemisation and more immersion. Again, it was a good run remembering the old games, but the game did not have the minimum depth and fun I wanted from it. It may be I wanted too much :) Fuck me!

As for twitcher, you are right: it made me more edgy. cdp never claimed they target any niche. They wanted to be as aaa as possible in their marketing. And they delivered a game that was mostly fun to play. And I am angry I had more fun there than with PoE. So yes. My opinion on PoE got worse after playing a game I was expecting to be worse and it was actually more fun.

Semper

Cipher
They wanted to be as aaa as possible in their marketing. And they delivered a game that was mostly fun to play.

that was the whole point. you're playing, and obviously enjoying, popamole pirouetteamole for the masses, while ranting about obsidian catering to the same crowd. the crowd you belong to when playing those games.

Last edited:

Gicusan

Educated
maybe so. or maybe I just liked the story and many quests. I did not say I like the combat or that I care about graphics. But I liked the world and the characters and the card game and the bitches and the quests. If a game delivers on the writing and atmosphere, than the rest can be ignored or accepted. And Witcher delivered more on those aspects than PoE. It played like reading a good book. PoE was only so-so. And you dont really need AAA budget for writing a good word with a good story. And this is the area where Obsidian should have been strong.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They wanted to be as aaa as possible in their marketing. And they delivered a game that was mostly fun to play.

that was the whole point. you're playing, and obviously enjoying, popamole pirouetteamole for the masses, while ranting about obsidian catering to the same crowd. the crowd you belong to when playing those games.
Yeah, totally the same thing. Enemies in Witcher all have the same behavior, and fights always proceed in exactly the same way, right. Also Witcher's writing is just as dull as the 3-4 screens of expositions in PoE.
:lol:

Gicusan

Educated
Yeah, totally the same thing. Enemies in Witcher all have the same behavior, and fights always proceed in exactly the same way, right. Also Witcher's writing is just as dull as the 3-4 screens of expositions in PoE.
I agree about the fights. I don't agree about the writing.

Semper

Cipher
so far i encountered wolfs, bears, dogs, potatoes with swords, potatoes with clubs, potatoes in armors, bare-nuckled potatoes, hairy potatoes werewolves (it was hard to differentiate), ugly chickens, more ugly chickens, floating burkas with lanterns, hags with nice tits, hags with very ugly tits flinging shit around, even birds with ugly tits. there were also endregas, golems, drowners, different kin of rotting flesh on two or four legs, trolls and nekkers, and whatever the fuck else.

every single fight played like this: pirouetting/rolling out of the attack animation followed by two to three clicks, the pattern only disturbed by the usage of witcher magic now and then. rinse and repeat. if i wanted shit done faster i sometimes used oils and potions. there also were times where i riposted attacks - such crazy times. and if you're after retarded combat ai in action just stand there shooting your crossbow over and over and over again. afterwards i got too bored and deleted that crap. imagining a huge world full of dull items and braindead things was simply too overwhelming to bear.

Prime Junta

Don't forget that sometimes you have to use Yrden, at other times, Aard.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I agree about the fights. I don't agree about the writing.
That was irony. Witcher 3 is actually interesting to play, unlike PoE which has the same battle pasted a thousand times over. Only a total retard can find PoE combat interesting.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, Witcher 3 combat is about the same level of mediocrity in its own class as PoE's.

Funnily enough, though, there's much less of it, relatively speaking. Following a red trail through the wilderness and listening to Geralt's narration vs the 10th beetle encounter, which is better and why?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
Zahua
From Eric Fenstermaker:

The Devil of Caroc
From Carrie Patel:

So those are definitively the two writers. And we're stuck with them forever most likely. A fart joke writer and a 3rd grade stock fantasy writer of the lowest kind. Wew. Writing is the strength of Obsidian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom