Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dark Souls III Coming in Early 2016, Directed by Miyazaki

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Dark Souls III; From Software; Namco Bandai

Did From Software's "B-team" fail with Dark Souls 2? One would be forgiven to think so, given the "directed by Miyazaki" emphasis in the newly announced ARPG Dark Souls 3, coming in "early 2016" for PC, Xbox One, and PS4.

Now only embers remain…

As fires fade and the world falls into ruin, developer FROMSOFTWARE and director Hidetaka Miyazaki continue their critically-acclaimed and genre-defining series with Dark Souls III.

Developed by FromSoftware and directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, the game will challenge you to survive a coming apocalypse in a vast twisted world full of fearsome beasts, devious traps and hidden secrets.​

GOTY 2016 confirmed. (Well, there is also Dishonored 2, of course.)

According to the press release, this will be the last game in the series, too.

The DARK SOULS brand became a phenomenon thanks to amazing work from our dear partners FromSoftware and our very own BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment teams. But above all, we are blessed to have such a supportive and loving community, and we are happy to dedicate this final episode to them!​

More screenshots and art work can be found here.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Look at my game, what do you see?
The Cult of Muhzaki.
I know your bullshit, I know your tears
I've been everything you hoped I'd be

Oh

I'm the cult of Muhzaki.

Like Kojima, and Metal Gear
I'm the Cult of Muhzaki.
The Cult of Muhzaki.
The Cult of Muhzaki.

Dark Soul lite, J Rpg Prize
Where the incline speaks, the declne lies
You won't have - to bullshit me
Only truth can set me free

I sell the games, you want to be
I'm the smiling face of M.C.A

Oh, I'm the cult of Muhzaki.

I exploit you? still you love me?
I told you one and bullshots makes it three
Oh, I'm the cult of Muhzaki.

Like Todd Howard, and Bethesdy...
I'm the cult of Muhzaki.
The Cult of Muhzaki.
The Cult of Muhzaki.

Washed out lights, Browns and Grays
When a Game Dev speaks, that Game Dev lies
You won't have, to be a freak
Only you can find your peak

You gave me Fallout
You gave me Pain
You gave me Borderlands in your Dev's name
I'm every gamer, you need to be

I'm-The-Cult-of-Muh-zak-i.

I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of
I am the Cult of

Zep--

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If DarkSoul2 is an indication then DS3 will be released during March 2016. Which is fine. Only 9 months to wait.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm a 2D graphics whore all the way, but the 4 screenshots shown in the link are truly spectacular! The dragon has amazing amounts of detail, and the shot of the city is incredible.

Severely looking forward to this. The rest of you can just shut face.

The reason DS2 failed was the second team was not led by the main designer behind Dark Souls/Demons Souls.

I preferred Dark Souls 1 to Dark Souls 2. Not at all afraid this will disappoint me with the studio lead back in charge.

Diggfinger

Arcane
This looks awesome, happy that Hidetaka Miyazaki is back on board!

Looking forward to playing this...sometime in a far, far off hypothetical future where I am the owner of a PS4 and 100+ plus of free time to spare+M

Gicusan

Educated
I am very afraid of this game. I suck at combat (not MCA Arcanum levels but still) and I doubt I will do well in a game that says hard real time first person combat is its strength. I can do well in hard TB combat (Fallouts 1&2, D:OS, Wasteland2, Blackguards, Dragonfall and so on), I do well in strategy games on highest levels, but real combat time experience for me is not too high. I think you need much more "shooter" experience to feel comfortable with this kinds of games. And I have none. Besides I am not intelligent enough even for Dark Souls puzzles (watched some playtroughs). Also for a storyfag like me, this is not really appealing.

made

Arcane
The reason DS2 failed was the second team was not led by the main designer behind Dark Souls/Demons Souls.

Sawyer killed POE, Miyazaki will save DS3, 100s of pages speculating about MCAs lovelife... Personenkult is strong on the Codex.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I am very afraid of this game. I suck at combat (not MCA Arcanum levels but still) and I doubt I will do well in a game that says hard real time first person combat is its strength. I can do well in hard TB combat (Fallouts 1&2, D:OS, Wasteland2, Blackguards, Dragonfall and so on), I do well in strategy games on highest levels, but real combat time experience for me is not too high. I think you need much more "shooter" experience to feel comfortable with this kinds of games. And I have none. Besides I am not intelligent enough even for Dark Souls puzzles (watched some playtroughs). Also for a storyfag like me, this is not really appealing.

Why are you "afraid"?
If its not your thing play :) something else.
People have different preferences...

Also if you never played a Souls game pick up DS1.
It can be bought for around $5 and you'll find out whether you'd enjoy the series.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bloodborne was incredible (why talk about DS2 when Bloodborne was a smash hit?) so surely this game will not disappoint. Chances are it'll be the best game released that year, too.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I know I may be bashed for this, but I dislike the pvp elements in Souls games, thankfully they are optional so I can just play like it was symphony of the night. Never also understood the ahte for DS2, people always fall for the trap of over hyping. Its a fucking good videogame.

The story is amazing, and almost brought me to tears. Howevers, it is mostly conveyed non-verbally, through narrative symbolism and such.

Yay! Another crappy arcade game to add to top 50 RPGs!

Really?

That is like comparing Tekken to God of War.

One requires twitch tactics. The other requires pacing, rhythm, and a degree of foresight. Just because you you don't have hand-eye coordination, doesn't mean others have to follow suit.

Last edited:
I know I may be bashed for this, but I dislike the pvp elements in Souls games, thankfully they are optional so I can just play like it was symphony of the night. Never also understood the ahte for DS2, people always fall for the trap of over hyping. Its a fucking good videogame.

The problem was exactly what Yahtzee pointed out in Zero Punctuation. Everything was attached to the central hub, it made it too obvious where to go next.

Sawyer killed POE, Miyazaki will save DS3, 100s of pages speculating about MCAs lovelife... Personenkult is strong on the Codex.

It's not a "person cult." Miyazaki was the creative director. Exactly what they lacked on DS2--direction.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I honestly don't get the hate poured on Dark Souls 2.

I liked Bloodborne a lot, don't get me wrong, but Bloodborne brought back crap like "I'm invulnerable while opening this door and pulling this lever". That really bothered me a lot and I was thrilled when they changed it for Dark Souls 2 so that you could no longer cheese levels by running past everything and rely on being invulnerable at key moments.

I don't think teeny tiny twisty paths are great level design. I didn't think it was great in Demon Souls - and I didn't think it was great in Bloodborne. This is NOT the same thing as saying they were bad levels, they most certainly weren't.

Art wise, Bloodborne was great and atmospheric and the combat is frenetic yet still extremely tactical - which I dig.

It's a good game, but I don't get how it is better than Dark Souls 2 at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom