Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tree of Life- That 'ol UO feeling

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Too busy today, but I logged in, took ten minutes learning how to eat, got to the base camp and killed a chicken on the way... controls seem a little clunky, almost like the engine isn't meant for PC, and night time is a real pain.

Based on the lag, I should probably be on the Asian server, but I'll try to stick it out on American server and be playing more later, but I have to concentrate on moving house right now.

LilSassy

Novice
I didn't choose the thug life.

2t1y27e.jpg

Avellion

Erudite
We got another neighbour who built a base right into our forest to the east of us.

I like the game, but I feel they should either add a new server, or enlarge the world, because the player town density is getting too high for my liking.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Devs have talked about that. They said that they didn't expect the game to be this popular and are now looking to make the world bigger

Edit: Holy shit new patch today

1. Crime system

Prior crime system only distinguished whether he/she is criminal or not.
However, after the update, problem which the innocent were suspected as criminal is resolved and habitual criminals gets heavy penalty

- Innocent (Blue)
It is this condition when you start game.
It will change when you if you do the crime.
You will drop one item when you die.

- Evil Deed (Yellow)
The time that you do crime, the condition will change.
It will continue for one minute and in this time this character will be not protected from the crime condition.
You will drop one item when you die.

- Criminal (Red)
You become a criminal as you cumulate crimes. The up time will increase in relation to the cumulated crime score. The crime score will decrease by 1 after one minute passes or planting one tree.

> Criminal 1 (500~1000)
When criminal die.
- Drop 50% of inventory items
- Increasing ghost time +30 sec

> Criminal 2 (1000~2000)
When criminal die.
- Drop 75% of inventory items
- Lost 5% of all masteries.
- Increasing ghost time +60 sec

> Criminal 3 (2000~3500)
When criminal die.
- Drop all of inventory items
- Lost 10% of all masteries.
- Increasing ghost time +120 sec

> Criminal 4 (3500~6000)
When criminal die.
- Lost 15% of all masteries.
- Increasing ghost time +240 sec

> Criminal 5 (6000~10000)
When criminal die.
- Lost 20% of all masteries.
- Increasing ghost time +480 sec

2. Defense Equipment Durability System
- In today's patch, we have implemented durability system to the defense equipments
- The decrease in durability applies to randomly selected areas in the defense equipments against the attacks received.

Valance
1. Base Status
- Base HP Increase: 100 -> 150
- Base Defense Status Increase: 0 -> 10

2. Decreasing equipment, weapon performance
- All of equipment, weapon items

3. Decreasing Weapon Damage
- All of two-handed Weapons

4. Increasing low level equipment defense point.
- Cloth top, Cloth pants, Cloth gloves, Cloth shoes
- The leather, Leather pants, Leather gloves, Leather shoes
- Copper armor, Copper pants, Copper Gauntlets, Copper Breeches
- Rustic Helm
- Dull copper helmet
- Musketeer jacket, Musketeer pants, Musketeer glove, Musketeer shoes
- Officer jacket, Officer pants, Officer glove, Officer shoes
- Tempered leather jacket, Temperd leather pants, Tempered leather glove, Temperd leather shoes

5. Weapon durability balance.
- High durability balance adopted in top level weapon is revised.

6. Arrow Watchtower
- Raising the number of production of an arrow (20 -> 80)
- Increasing the number of Copper sculpture that need to produce "arrow". (1->2)
- Material of Iron arrow and Mythril arrow is same to existing material.
- Decreasing of arrow watchtower HP

7. Resource Habitat Expansion
Vine's habitat has been expanded (except for special geography like glacier)

8. Time shift for day and night
Now adventurers get more time to desert around without a torch

FUCK :yeah:
SAY GOOD BYE TO THOSE LONG, LONG NIGHTS.
I don't see why they are decreasing weapon damage of two handed weapons tho. They are already a poor choice as far as weapons go. My two handed hammer hits for 40 damage against Lava Giants, and my 1h mace of equal quality hits for 30, but I can get like 2-3 hits in with my mace during the time I take one slow swing with my two handed weapon.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
So they are implementing a Criminal System and Item Balance Update. What will they break this time?

But I got to hand it to them, updating at this pace, whereas in WoW I would have to wait on average half a year for anything meaningful in later eras, if not more than an entire year.

Devs have talked about that. They said that they didn't expect the game to be this popular and are now looking to make the world bigger.
Good to hear. This just goes to show, never underestimate the potency of word of mouth.

Edit: As for the 2h weapon damage, I think that had to do with 2handerss 2 shotting people in PvP. But yeah, nerfing them might have been a bit too much, considering the hp and defense increase.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Edit: As for the 2h weapon damage, I think that had to do with 2handerss 2 shotting people in PvP. But yeah, nerfing them might have been a bit too much, considering the hp and defense increase.

I would understand that reasoning if hitting anyone in PvP with a 2h weapon was feasible.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
LOL I just logged in the game and what I saw requires a new post; I'm sorry.

So my 2 handed weapon durability dropped from 900~ to 143. OUCH. In fact all my weapons with high durability went from 800-1000 to 150~ durability. The damage was nurfed to hell as well on my 2h weapon to the point where it does _exactly_ the same damage as my 1h weapon, except, you know, it's a whole lot slower. GG. Armor durability was introduced as well and durability was nerfed to shit on them as well. From 1000 dura to 300. Bags have durability as well and will break, meaning that you will lose your extra 5 slots.
Back to weapon durability, I killed one ogre and lost 1/7th of my durability on my weapon. That means that collecting a couple bags full of wood is going to break my weapon now. Guys, this is a bit too much for me. I think I'm gonna call it quits for now until they sort this out. I like what they did with the criminal system and that they finally fixed the crazy Night/Day cycle, but they nerfed item damage and durability so hard that playing this game is going to be way too fucking tedious to be worth it. My gear will disintegrate within an hour of fighting monsters and then I'll have to spend another two days running around looking for ore to trade for a new set? No thanks.

CpMcgnl.jpg

You can see the old durability and what it was reduced to on this weapon. One hit with the weapon -> one point of durability spent. Also, the damage used to be some 200 on this weapon just a few hours ago. People are going to quit this game now. I don't see the crafters and traders sticking around with this nerfs either until this shit is brought to sanity again.

Last edited:

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Korean meaning of balance lol.

I bet they are listening to QQ'ing part of their community. That's what killed a lot of MMORPG's (UO included) ;-/

Mortmal

Arcane
So this game turn to shit already ? Glad I waited to buy, the blind optimism and enthusiasm was worrying, like it was for elite...

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Too early to say. I bet people will start crying even more now because of ridiculous durability values. Things gonba change a lot. It's early access after all, ya?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So this game turn to shit already ? Glad I waited to buy, the blind optimism and enthusiasm was worrying, like it was for elite...

I can't say it's shit because they finally fixed one of the biggest issues with the game: the constant raiding and griefing. It's still the same fun game with the neat crafting systems, it's just that durability was hit way too hard. Give it another week max and they'll probably fix it by the next patch, if they won't do it within a few days. They did an emergency patch last week right after they patched the game, could be that they'll do the same here. If they bring up the durability back to some 500~ then that's a reasonable nerf to me and it'll keep the economy moving since there's always a need for more equipment, but this is just too much. You will literally use up a weapon gathering resources to make a weapon. It's just ludicrous.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
With their shitty english and communication skills, it might have been changed just for the testing purposes. I've seen some mmos making drastic changes just to collect statistics and to find the best(arguable)balance point.

I wouldnt judge them just yet.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That may be. They changed the arrow capacity for towers from 40 to 20 last patch. Now they buffed them from 20 to 80.

Avellion

Erudite
I knew they would mess something up. Toning down the durability too much. Lets just hope they fix the damage they have done before its too late.

That may be. They changed the arrow capacity for towers from 40 to 20 last patch. Now they buffed them from 20 to 80.
This is actually a common balancing technique. By testing out the extremes. Hopefully what they did to the durability system is just another example of the same, and not that the developers totally lost their minds.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
LOL it's not the only thing they messed up. The new crime system is apparently shitty as hell in how it actually works. People are reporting that the reality of the system is that when you kill a person as a Blue you go Yellow for 1 minute. Wait out that 1 minute and you'll go Blue again, ready to murder or destroy something for another 1 minute penalty. Yellow griefing is back and it's bigger than ever. You can destroy a whole base without going Red lol.

Edit: It's not shitty "apparently". It's confirmed. Killed a guy, stole his money, waited a minute and went blue. Broke down his gate, waited a minute and went blue. Invaded his fort, killed an animal of his, waited a minute and went blue. I gave the poor guy a silver piece as compensation in the end since all he could do was watch and cry.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
LOL it's not the only thing they messed up. The new crime system is apparently shitty as hell in how it actually works. People are reporting that the reality of the system is that when you kill a person as a Blue you go Yellow for 1 minute. Wait out that 1 minute and you'll go Blue again, ready to murder or destroy something for another 1 minute penalty. Yellow griefing is back and it's bigger than ever. You can destroy a whole base without going Red lol.
Yeah I noticed, there is a guy currently trying to loot our base. And I killed him a few times, never becoming a criminal.

Actually, seems I still have a criminal record, despite being blue. 166 points

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Delicious griefer tears all over the Steam forums. A lot of the big raid guilds are quitting the game now. The update may have made it inconvinient for me to play today, but at least it has fixed the game in the long run when they tweak the crime system and durability and all these faglords who still insist that the game is intended as a FFA PvP game leave.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Crime system is a step in the right direction though-

At this point at least they are listening, just going a bit extreme on some of the changes (durability-I'm talking to you.) but its a good sign anyhow. Hopefully they can find a balance .

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Oh, I think the idea behind the crime system is very good and exactly what the game needs. It's just that it needs some tweaking to work properly as intended.

Avellion

Erudite
Oh, I think the idea behind the crime system is very good and exactly what the game needs. It's just that it needs some tweaking to work properly as intended.
I think the purpose of the yellow system is to avoid punishing players for manslaughter, and getting walled in by another guild. However, taking someone down from 100% hp to 0% hp is undeniably murder. As for getting walled in, depending on the code they wrote, they could possibly use the code in the terretorial update (possibly combined with disjoint sets algorithms) to determine whether or not a player was trapped or not. But even there, there are better solutions for this. If a new player has built their base right where you stand, just move the player out of the territory.

Eyeball

Arcane
LOL I just logged in the game and what I saw requires a new post; I'm sorry.

So my 2 handed weapon durability dropped from 900~ to 143. OUCH. In fact all my weapons with high durability went from 800-1000 to 150~ durability. The damage was nurfed to hell as well on my 2h weapon to the point where it does _exactly_ the same damage as my 1h weapon, ecept, you know, it's a whole lot slower. GG. Armor durability was introduced as well and durability was nerfed to shit on them as well. From 1000 dura to 300. Bags have durability as well and will break, meaning that you will lose your extra 5 slots.
Back to weapon durability, I killed one ogre and lost 1/7th of my durability on my weapon. That means that collecting a couple bags full of wood is going to break my weapon now. Guys, this is a bit too much for me. I think I'm gonna call it quits for now until they sort this out. I like what they did with the criminal system and that they finally fixed the crazy Night/Day cycle, but they nerfed item damage and durability so hard that playing this game is going to be way too fucking tedious to be worth it. My gear will disintegrate within an hour of fighting monsters and then I'll have to spend another two days running around looking for ore to trade for a new set? No thanks.

CpMcgnl.jpg

You can see the old durability and what it was reduced to on this weapon. One hit with the weapon -> one point of durability spent. Also, the damage used to be some 200 on this weapon just a few hours ago. People are going to quit this game now. I don't see the crafters and traders sticking around with this nerfs either until this shit is brought to sanity again.
Awesome. So now you can brag about being a real veteran player and how TOL is shit these days and how it was waaaay better in the old days, like a week ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom