Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Fuck yes. I was getting a little worried for a while that we wouldn't get any DLC, but I suppose it was inevitable. I hope it's something substantial like the Artorias DLC which was basically an expansion pack.

Also, that fake ad in that video is hilarious.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Patch is coming out Monday, May 25th.

Reddit re-post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/371foj/patch_104_notes_detailed_blood_stone_chunks_now/

Translated Red-Sun speak:
  • Password matching can now be done regardless of level.
  • Password matching can now be done even if registered to a different oath.
  • Quicksilver bullets and blood vials can now be stored up to 600 (the previous limit was 99) in the storage in Hunter’s Dream.
  • Weapons and hunter tools have been tweaked, it will be mostly buffs.
  • A bug of the Rifle Spear has been fixed.
  • A bug with Blood Gem Imprints has been fixed.
  • Boss rewards in the Chalice Dungeons will be improved, they will now drop blood gems randomly.
  • Chalice dungeons will now include Blood Stone Shards at Depth 1, Twin Blood Stone Shards at Depth 2, Twin Blood Stone Shards and * Blood Stone Chunks at Depth 3, Blood Stone Chunks at Depth 4 and Blood Stone Chunks and Blood Rocks at Depth 5.
  • Other bugs have been fixed.

?

Password matching can now be done regardless of level.

:hmmm:

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
So password matching is disorganized now whilst everything else is more possitively organized. Since I never use passwords I would say these are positive changes.

Edit: besides the buffs, that's usually a change made for difficulty whiners :/

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

So password matching is disorganized now whilst everything else is more possitively organized.

This would, as I understand it, allow a level 10 to summon a level 200.

Which means a level 200 can summon a level 10.

Which means more twinks can easily be made.

lulz.

I can already see it... DLC patch introduces SM matchmaking. Rifle spear bug is brought back. New armor set - Havel's Armor. You can now dual wield rifle spears. Everythign u need, become unstpbble etc.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I hope they add more challenges for higher level chars but not at the expense of simplifying lower level areas. Complexity should be integrated throughout game Gothic 2 night of the raven comes to mind here.

DragoFireheart

http://www.vgamerz.com/why-bloodbornes-patch-1-04-is-fundamentally-damaging/

When patch 1.04 for Bloodbornewas being hinted at , I was ecstatic to see my favourite game of 2015 so far being given careful post-launch support. The game was was a masterpiece of design and atmosphere, but despite everything it got right, there were a few things that needed fixing.

I never would’ve expected however, that the patch would not only fix some problems with the game, but single-handedly sabotage the entire design philosophy of the series. It was shocking and disheartening, and I actually wondered if it was a practical joke.

It isn’t a practical joke, and I am having trouble even coming up with a cohesive explanation to why From Software would do such a thing to their own baby.

The link inside has more.

SumDrunkGuy

vgamerz.com said:
When patch 1.04 for Bloodbornewas being hinted at , I was ecstatic to see my favourite game of 2015 so far being given careful post-launch support. The game was was a masterpiece of design and atmosphere, but despite everything it got right, there were a few things that needed fixing.

I never would’ve expected however, that the patch would not only fix some problems with the game, but single-handedly sabotage the entire design philosophy of the series. It was shocking and disheartening, and I actually wondered if it was a practical joke.

It isn’t a practical joke, and I am having trouble even coming up with a cohesive explanation to why From Software would do such a thing to their own baby.

This guy's a moron. Bloodborne is a new IP and doesn't belong to any currently existing "series".

Now that being said, just for a moment lets imagine Bloodborne as a Souls game (I think it's safe to assume that this is what he was implying). If this were the case then Bloodborne had already sabotaged the series' design philosophy when it streamlined and simplified the fuck out of literally everything.

If the above fiction were true then this upcoming Bloodborne patch would be like nothing. It would be equivalent to pouring salt over a castration wound. I'm talking brief and temporary physical pain being applied to indefinite mental anguish.

But that's all just fiction so whatever. Bloodborne is a twitch-based hack n slash. It's Lovecraftian Devil May Cry, and that's cool. Aint nothin wrong with some good hack n slash action, especially when it's laced with some Lovecraft style mind fuckery.

What's not cool is mouth breathers trying to rope a twitch-based hack n slash in with a series of ARPGs that adhere to a strict formula of layered combat mechanics, sparse customization, and methodical gameplay. That's insane. Like holy shit, if Demon's Souls 2/Dark Souls 3 became a thing and were anything like Bloodborne we would be facing a dark era of mass lynchings and crucifixions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gozma

Arcane
Dark Souls 2 is on all the consoles and PC if u are thinking it is a ps3 sexclusive

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
While you're at it, play Dark Souls and Demon Souls too. These (From Software games) are pretty much the pinnacle of non-multiplayer gaming this... well, probably this century.

bminorkey

A short Bloodborne review from a long-time From Soft enthusiast.

Mechanically, Bloodborne was pretty good. It fixed a lot of the complaints I had about DaS2, most importantly the lack of fluidity in combat mechanics and lack of frame precision w.r.t. the hitboxes (things that were done correctly in DaS1 and DeS but for some reason not in DaS2). The trick weapons and new combat mechanics (guns, etc) are a pretty cool twist on the Souls' series combat system and I enjoyed it a lot. All enemies felt quite different from each other and their AI was quite good, making for a lot of interesting and challenging encounters.

Unlike normal enemies, the bosses were for the most part quite bad. I think this is mostly because the increased combat speed didn't allow for the careful and meticulous "studying" of boss moves and boss strategies that was prominent in previous installments of the series, and also because the game does not allow for a lot of variety in the builds, so there are really very few ways to approach each boss. This is not true for all bosses: interestingly, the humanoid bosses, incl. the Shadows of Yharnam, Gascoigne (sp?), and the final boss, were all quite well designed. This makes me suspect that the challenge of designing Lovecraftian abominations and figuring out their movesets also worsened boss quality in the end.

The Chalice dungeons, bloodgem mechanics, limited silver bullet use, and balance in general are where the game's mechanics are lacking. This affects both multiplayer and single-player experiences, and it makes some parts of the game a chore to be honest. The Chalice dungeons in particular are a frustrating crawl to get through and they left me very bored and unsatisfied, their difficulty primarily being derived from increasing enemy HP and damage, and not from adding any genuinely new challenges to the game.

The multiplayer is very lacking. It's clear it wasn't the focus in this game, and From Soft gimped the PvP experience by silly ideas such as the bell maidens, 30% max HP deduction for invaders, lack of counters to healing in combat, limited silver bullet use, by forcing us to farm for bloodgems, and for a multitude of other reasons. Even though the combat mechanics are precise and fluid, the lack of build variety, and the slew of annoyances and design problems with the game make it inferior to all games in the Souls' series in terms of multiplayer, including even Demon Souls.

Atmosphere and story-wise the game is (IMO) one of the stronger entries in the series. The story is interesting and (for the most part) well-presented, and the writing and exposition are very enticing. Although this isn't apparent on a superficial level, Bloodborne's story is similar to Demon's Souls, and it is equally inaccessible and open to interpretation. This is in contrast with Dark Souls which had a (relatively) more straightforward and accessible story, and also more closure. Even more-so than Demon's Souls the game relies on metaphor and symbolism in its presentation, which is an interesting gambit on part of From Soft. I would say this gambit succeeded for the most part, but the symbolism sometimes felt excessive and over-the-top and left me with a murky, dissatisfied feeling.

But like I said, overall the writing and atmosphere are on par with Miyazaki's other two games in the series (and definitely much better than the Dark Souls 2's fan wanking), although it has different pros and flaws.

Graphica- and content-wise the game felt short and there was not much variety (I felt) from the art design perspective. All areas felt equally grimdark and used the same artistic gimmicks as the other areas and while the gameplay differs significantly enough between them, too often I felt like I was exploring a different sub-area of some overarching level rather than exploring a new area or level entirely. There are some exceptions to this, namely the Nightmare levels, but because the game has much less content than other entries in the series this is, in my opinion, inexcusable, and I hope it will be addressed in future expansion packs.

Like I started saying earlier, while the enemies feel quite varied, the builds do not, and this also affects playability and replayability. I'd like to say again that most non-humanoid bosses felt quite poorly designed, and it seems like the same tactics worked against pretty much any of them. This is in contrast to the quite good humanoid bosses, probably because they were easier to design.

Chalice dungeons I already talked about. They're pretty bad.

In conclusion, from a setting/story perspective and as a mechanics demo that can be expanded with more content later on, Bloodborne is quite good. However, it's heavily lacking in a lot of other areas and ultimately I don't think it holds up to other Miyazaki games in recent years. Certainly it's not as good as DeS or DaS, although I'm not sure how I would rank it compared to DaS2.

Some people could argue that it's wrong to compare Bloodborne to the Souls series and have the same expectations for it because it is a new IP. This is quite frankly bullshit. Both mechanically and story-wise this game is Demon's Souls 2 with guns. It might be a new IP, but it's a spiritual sequel to the Souls series in every respect.

Overall I give it a 9.97/10 for "quite good" based on the international IGN scoring system (tm).

Last edited by a moderator:

bminorkey

About the ending(s)

So the most adequate one seems the one where Gehrman decapitates you?[/spoile]
I don't think there's a good ending... the current consensus (if there ever was any) is that what happens is basically:

If he decapitates you: You get detached from Gehrman's/the doll's realm and go back to the real world as a human being, having ridden the world of the nightmare.
If you kill him: You become the Moon Presence's (some sort of evolved human/the doll's surrogate child) pawn.
If you kill Moon Presence: according to one theory you become the doll (who is a Great One)'s new surrogate child, and the next Moon Presence.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
About the ending(s)

So the most adequate one seems the one where Gehrman decapitates you?[/spoile]
I don't think there's a good ending... the current consensus (if there ever was any) is that what happens is basically:

If he decapitates you: You get detached from Gehrman's/the doll's realm and go back to the real world as a human being, having ridden the world of the nightmare.
If you kill him: You become the Moon Presence's (some sort of evolved human/the doll's surrogate child) pawn.
If you kill Moon Presence: according to one theory you become the doll (who is a Great One)'s new surrogate child, and the next Moon Presence.
Yeah, I figured that out. Well, pretty souls-like endings.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You can watch this Vaati video which goes a little more in-depth.

(Use discretion as it is hard to distinguish fanwank from actual in-game sources at times.)

DragoFireheart

There's some drama that Vaati stole the work of someone else.

If that matters to you.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
There's this 100+ page essay about the lore floating around somewhere, all nicely typeset in LaTeX.

While I do appreciate From for making games that cause these things to be written it does remind me a little bit of a slightly more adult version of "Story of Final Fantasy 8, explained!" articles on Gamefaqs from back in the day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom