Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Sales Analysis Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not the reviews that you should be looking at.

icon_thumbsUp_v6.png
91%
icon_thumbsDown_v6.png
9%

Kz3r0

Arcane
If you say so.
Facts do retard, is well known that a game sells the most on release, this is why Pillows sinking like a rock in the charts so soon is so significant, not only has already sold as as much as it could but any hope of a comeback is not only counterfactual but pointless, Obsidian as a business needs streams of revenue not 'torrents', even if PoE will be the most sold RPG in the span of a century(LOL) they won't give a shit.
Without mentioning the idiotic assumption that only PoE will continue to sell while the others remain stuck.

Atchodas

Augur
Especially when D:OS has EE coming out in August or September , which is grand remake of a game that already is decent ( COMBAT IS cant care about rest too much ) , meanwhile PoE is neither decent neither gets a remake any time soon .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
According to the Steamspy guy, Pillars of Eternity is a good example of a game that hasn't "sunk like a rock": https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/586971699293265924

This is getting pretty ridiculous, guys.
Indeed, two weeks after release, remind me WHEN was released and its actual position on Steam sales chart NOW.

Where do you expect it to be two months after release? Dragonfall: DC sank like a rock ONE DAY after its release. I remember us going "inb4 bankruptcy", but somehow, HBS are doing all right and even expanding. I think Obsidian's gonna be fine, man. :P

EDIT: Here's the post: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...fall-directors-cut.90165/page-38#post-3495584

Kz3r0

Arcane
According to the Steamspy guy, Pillars of Eternity is a good example of a game that hasn't "sunk like a rock": https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/586971699293265924

This is getting pretty ridiculous, guys.
Indeed, two weeks after release, remind me WHEN was released and its actual position on Steam sales chart NOW.

Where do you expect it to be two months after release? Dragonfall: DC sank like a rock ONE DAY after its release. I remember us going "inb4 bankruptcy", but somehow, HBS are doing all right and even expanding. Obsidian's gonna be fine, man. :P
Nice dodge, except I wasn't saying that Obsidian was going banrupt, in case you didn't notice the point of discussion was PoE outselling D:OS.
So, kindly, what's the actual position of D:OS and PoE on Steam sales chart?

Athelas

Arcane
'Let me ignore these facts and figures while making claims based solely on my gut feeling while constantly moving the goal posts' - this discussion in a nutshell.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Nice dodge, except I wasn't saying that Obsidian was going banrupt, in case you didn't notice the point of discussion was PoE outselling D:OS.
So, kindly, what's the actual position of D:OS and PoE on Steam sales chart?

You said a bit more than that, which is what I was responding to.

Personally, I don't think it will pass D:OS. That early advantage is hard to beat. Also, the game is $5 more expensive. Maybe if Obsidian/Paradox go wilder with the discounts than Larian, which is possible since unlike D:OS, PoE is not their primary source of revenue. No sign of that yet, though.

Atchodas

Augur
Obviously people who didnt buy PoE yet will most likely read up before doing so thus THEY WILL NEVER BUY THIS GAME ( DONT SERIOUSLY , Its free on piratebay )

no matter how hard you fanboys try , open any forum that involves PoE discussion and two main topics will be loading screens and path finding .
I even saw some stupid review involving PoE at my friends house and even there some faggot ended up the review with advertising D:OS lol was hilarious even scrubs understand lol

Kz3r0

Arcane
You said a bit more than that, which is what I was responding to.
Stop bullshitting, you necroed a tweet that means nothing.
What I said was that PoE sold the most on release, as any other game, and that disappeared from the top ten on Steam quite soon, hence it has exhausted its potential for any significant sales in the future.
And I will add more, expansions don't boost sales, they ride on the success of the main game, so forget getting some huge increase for PoE when the expansions come out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Expansions in and of themselves probably don't increase sales much, but if they're packaged into a "Gold Edition" that lets you buy both game and expansion together at a slight discount, that can attract new buyers. That's like doing an EE.

NeverwinterNightsGold_PCBOXboxart_160w.jpg
NeverwinterNightsPlatinum_PCBOX-Tratedboxart_160w.jpg
3060000000050401.JPG

Kz3r0

Arcane
Expansions in and of themselves probably don't increase sales much, but if they're packaged into a "Gold Edition" that lets you buy both game and expansion together at a slight discount, that can attract new buyers. That's like doing an EE.

NeverwinterNightsGold_PCBOXboxart_160w.jpg
NeverwinterNightsPlatinum_PCBOX-Tratedboxart_160w.jpg
3060000000050401.JPG
:roll:
Except that the planned expansions are not out yet.
Tell me, someone at Obsidian got his panties in a bunch about this discussion?

Atchodas

Augur
I hope Obshitian has some decency to atleast follow Inxile and Larian and release Free enhanced edition that fixes all the mindblowing stuff like path finding , AI , Encounter's etc.
they ofcourse wont those hipsters are sure they did good cuz metacritic says so

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hope Obshitian has some decency to atleast follow Inxile and Larian and release Free enhanced edition that fixes all the mindblowing stuff like path finding , AI , Encounter's etc.
they ofcourse wont those hipsters are sure they did good cuz metacritic says so
No, they will fix that with expansions that are not free. WL2 and D:OS didn't have any expansions and didn't plan any.

Athelas

Arcane
Are you guys that blinded with your dislike of the game that you can't think rationally anymore? (Well, that has been the case in this discussion so far, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.) Of course they're not going to piss of a large segment of their (future) customer base:

http://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/pillars-of-eternity-interview/12162
GameWatcher: In terms of additional content for the game, will you be heading down the DLC pack route, which is something Paradox as a publisher is known for, or will you be concentrating on larger expansions?

Josh Sawyer: No, we want to do a traditional expansion, and we’re in the early stages of planning for that right now. Part of the Kickstarter campaign was a full expansion, so we’re definitely doing a Tales of the Sword Coast style campaign. We’re still in the early stages of design for that right now, though. What I would say about additional content other than that, is that I would like to see any gameplay tweaks and changes we make in an expansion get rolled into a free patch. So if you don’t want to buy an expansion, you get all the same gameplay benefits without the extra story.

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Technically it's a F:NV 2 x DLC style production though, using the same new quest hub.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom