Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic: The Gathering

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So Dual faced cards that are creatures/Planeswalkers.

Duels 2016 will be F2P.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I had the lulziest draft yesterday. Proxy cube. The power level was about 9001. It also included a small amount of Unhinged and Conspiracy cards.

So on turn 3, my board looked like this:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

My opponent attacked on his turn (my lands were tapped) and I block with Thasa.
He goes "Um... Thasa can't block. Your devotion to blue is only 2".

I smile and lift the Turn 1 island to reveal:
Image.ashx

But that is only the start of the powerdjinn. I sneak him back into play from my graveyard while picking cards to exile for a treasure cruise delve. 2 games later, one of my opponents remark how it's uncanny I always get him into play so early in the game, to which I reply "You don't seriously believe I'm shuffling this card into my deck at the start?" to much laughter from the referee. In my last game of the night, the opponent spots me slipping him into play (fair enough), and removes the card from play by placing him on his side of the table face down. Unfortunately for him, he turns his back at one point to answer a question from soneone else. And at this point, I swap cheatyface for a basic land. :3

Definitely my favourite card of a deck that included no less than 3 cards to give me extra turns and 5 ways to clone my hedron crab.

Get hype.

I hope this means they're reprinting the full-art basic lands. I don't have a set of those and they're prettier than the boring regular ones. :3

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
[rulesfag] You're actually only allowed to sneak cheatyface into play from your hand, and you have to draw him legitly from the deck [/rulesfag]

Such is the ruling by the unrules manager :M

Caim

Arcane
The solution is simple. Sneak him into the sleeves behind whatever card's in there.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I did it in front of the ref and they ruled it was wholly within the spirit of the card. This was a conspiracy/unhinged cube after all. :3

The cards were proxies printed and put in sleeves. Moving the cheatyface into a sleeved land would not have been feasible.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I did it in front of the ref and they ruled it was wholly within the spirit of the card. This was a conspiracy/unhinged cube after all. :3
The unrules exist for a reason! :argh:

In other news, im considering a
Image.ashx
descentofthedragons.jpg
+ tokens, counterpells, and burn for next standard. Might be fun.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm far away from my normal card shop and might only be able to get there once a month now so I'm thinking of getting more into the online version.

What's the best way to go about acquiring event tickets?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Mana leak at common in MM2.

WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON ANYMORE?

Set looks pretty cool, can't wait to draft this.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mana Leak is a common in Tempest Remastered too :D

You should draft that, it is delightfully nostalgic. Winning by buybacking Whisper's of the Muse for 7 turns while you kill them with a 2/2 never loses its charm. There are so many downright unfair things you can do in this format.

How can you afford to draft MM2, shit's more expensive than diamonds? :negative:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Mana Leak is a common in Tempest Remastered too :D

You should draft that, it is delightfully nostalgic. Winning by buybacking Whisper's of the Muse for 7 turns while you kill them with a 2/2 never loses its charm. There are so many downright unfair things you can do in this format.

How can you afford to draft MM2, shit's more expensive than diamonds? :negative:
I don't have mtgo so I can't draft tempestu. As for MM2, I don't think I can afford to draft it much, a few times should work tho. But yes, shit is way too expensive, they're selling the packs here for 100 SEK each. That's 3x the price of regular packs. Fucking wizards.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yeah same here in DK. It's insane. At least MTGO is only double up on booster packs I think.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's gonna be the same as MM1, the price is already high as fuck and it will just go up from here.
I was lucky and pre ordered a box for ~ €160. Still a lot, but I knew it was worth more than 200, so at worst it returns my drafty fee, speculating on 1 box is kinda pointless. The shop must have gotten a lot of pre orders, because they changed the price in a few days.

I wish they made some old sets remastered in paper. Not gonna happen until they're past Urza (if ever) because of the reserved list, but I can dream.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I wish they released some Advanced Drafting Sets that weren't limited printing runs.

What a turkey of a set. Unsurprising given that Tom "Great Sable Stag" LaPille was at the helm. It manages to be underwhelming on both the financial/economic and the design fronts.

From the financial side:

-Mythic rarity has never been more apparent as a complete cashgrab than now. Far too many mythics are not draft-ruining bombs, but are simply money cards that Wizards is reticent to mass-reprint. One can justify things like Vedalken Shackles or the Swords of X & Y at Mythic...those cards can absolutely dominate drafts, turning games into non-interactive blowouts. The need for reprints has to be balanced with the need to create a fun draft environment. That said, cards like Vendillion Clique, Dark Confidant, Bitterblossom, Mox Opal, and Tarmogoyf do not deserve Mythic Rarity on any grounds besides price...the thing Wizards *promised* Mythic Rarity wasn't about. All of those, save 'Goyf, could easily be at rare. Tarmogoyf could even go as low as Uncommon, if Wizards had some cojones and wanted to sock it to the speculators ruing the game.

-Packs are a complete lottery at the Rare/Mythic slot. Throw down ten dollars for a pack and you are more likely to open worthless jank like Long Forgotten Gohei (it was forgotten for a reason), All Sun's Dawn, or Argent Sphinx as you are to open a money rare/mythic. While the expected value is a net positive, at least according to calculations based on current market prices, there's an enormous amount of variance because value is concentrated in a handful of cards. This means a lot of casual players, the backbone of the game, are going to get shafted by variance, spending a ludicrous amount of money to get completely skunked.

The first Modern Masters had an ecletic mix of Modern, Legacy, EDH, and Casual staples to spread the value around the Rare/Mythic slot. You might not open something worth the entire pack, but you could reasonably expect to crack something of value t someone.

-There's not nearly enough value at (Un)Common. This is where the first Modern Masters excelled. Tons of staple commons and uncommons were reprinted, meaning that any value lost in the rare slot could be recouped in the rest of the pack. Current prices may not bear it out, but MM1 had tons of valuable commons and uncommons. Stuff like Rift Bolt, Lava Spike, Path to Exile, Spell Snare, Kitchen Finks, Desperate Ritual, Manamorphose, Spellstutter Sprite, Narcomaeba, Empty the Warrens, Grapeshot, and too many more to list all brought a ton of value in each pack. MM2 is too light in this regard. Remand, Electrolyze, Smash to Smithereens, Lighting Bolt, Vines of Vastwood, Expedition Map, and Dismember are really the only "money (un)commons" I can immediately point out ($1 or more), and only two are commons. Where are Serum Visions (besides skyrocketing in value to ~$10 a pop after the spoiler, or lack thereof), Spell Pierce, Sleight of Hand, Sylvan Scyring, Path to Exile, and what have you. Plenty of (un)commons that could have easily fit into MM2.

From the design standpoint:

-Too many rare reprints are unexciting. Many have been reprinted in recent sets or specialty products. Looks at Wolfbriar Elemental, Nobilus of War, Guile, Hellkite Charger, and more than a few other cards; all of them have been reprinted in some sort of product within the past few years. Modern Masters is supposed to be a "special" reprint set, to present a wholly unique draft environment, kind of like a Cube, chock full of powerful and interesting cards. Not a pile of cards Wizards devs have a boner for and want to see reprinted as often as possible. To wit, few of these cards are anything but generic herpaderp Limited bombs; you don't build around them, you win the game with them. Oh...and they're mostly jank in constructed.

-Too many of the Commons and Uncommons are simplistic Core Set filler. Why am I paying $30+ a draft to play with such exciting cards as Mighty Leap, color-shifted Giant Growth, or Rampant Growth? That's Core Set jank...I expect more from a premium, Expert-level drafting set. I want to see some truly interesting cards that are difficult to evaluate, that play into divergent archetypes or slot into different decks. Instead of Rampant Growth to support the 5c archetype, maybe throw in Utopia Sprawl, something that is good for paying mana costs, but not so good for triggering Domain (plus, it's another money common the set sorely needs with the absurd pricetag).

-So many cards seem utterly useless in typical drafting. Daybreak Coronet can only be used by players that drafted Splinter Twin (another rare) or Goblin War Paint. Spirits/Arcane are rather few in number, but have a bunch of supportive rares that will scarcely be useful (but players will love to pull that Long Forgetten Gohei). Inexorable Tide was a weak card in Scars block draft, where Proliferate was much more useful; here, it seems utterly pathetic...why not slot in Contagion Engine instead? At least that's usable by many different archetypes and strong on its own.

All this said, the set will still likely sell like hotcakes. Wizards is basically printing lottery tickets with some minor use-value, and as any stare in the Kwa will report, lotto-tickets sell extremely well. But from a player's perspective, it's disappointing, and, combined with the rancid recent blocks/sets, is pushing me further and further away from a game I really enjoyed and still want to.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I think Goyf needs to be rare due to complexity. I can almost see Clique being mythic in terms of power level too(simply because forcing the opponent to put a bomb/removal on the bottom is often than better than discard).

I still think it seems fun to draft, but I am not sure it will be as fun as MM1.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MTGO, home of the civilized gamers

e573de844e.png

(to be fair, that's probably the most direct trash talk I've seen in my time on MTGO)

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
i did some test drafts via bestaire to prepare for upcoming MM2 drafts and....well, i dont think i will slam more than 2-3 and might stick to Phantom drafts (MTGO).
fckin WoTC is milking us like cows.

"wooohaaaa...cards are spicy on the secondary market, what do we do?"

"..uhmmm...lets release some preconstructed decks...nah..some new set without huge development costs and sell the packs for double the normal price"

also, managed to steal Ral Zarek with 7 loyalitly via Dragonlord Silumgar during cube match.
opponent couldnt sit or walk for week

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Drafted some mm2015 yesterday. Got a splinter twin, and not much else of note.

Wound up drafting WU affinity. Highlight was definitely having someone kill themself on a 1 mana dismember when I had an apostle's blessing up, protecting a 1/1 double striker with cranial plating for +3. Wound up going into finals, but I kept a bad hand the first game, and it turns out he boarded in hyrkuls recall for game 2 and that was that.

It was pretty fun to draft, but so far doesn't seem like it can live up to original MM.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Played a draft too, went 2-1 with a sweet Gw tokens deck (mostly awesome green commons - Scatter the Seeds, Nest Invaders, Kozilek Predators and Scions of Wild, splashing for some W removal and buffs). Got a Vendilion Clique and Ulamog so can't complain. The format seems alright. Maybe it's just my experience but it looks like the power level of random creatures and burn/equipment is so high that more controlling constructions generally fold to aggressive decks. I saw a guy with RB bloodthirst kill 5-color control after the board was wiped twice.

Hope I wake up tomorrow to a Brainstorm ban in Legacy, though I'd be moderately happy to see Dig Through Time or Derp and Tell get the axe. Additionally, an Earthcraft ban wouldn't be the worst thing either.

Eh, won't be too cracked up if none of this happens though. Legacy is clearly not a priority for Wizards and, despite my initial misgivings, Tarkir block was excellent for Limited, scratching dat cardboard-crack itch.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
So uh, here comes the cheap ass begging :obviously: anyone have any mtgo cards n shit they want to donate? Pretty please, I been playing with muh pauper sliver deck for too damn long. Managed to win myself 140 shadow tickets or whatever and then got destroyed by an inter disconnect when I went into a draft event :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom