Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Master of Magic unofficial patch

belated

Augur
And now as I finish a shrine in my high men capitol it starts producing klackon swordsmen rather than the default (trade goods or housing? can't remember).

This time I never tried using the queue as I slightly experimented with as the trolls. But the default action after finishing a building seems messed up.

Edit: I see it's already been reported in the realmsbeyond forum so this is old news.

Last edited:

kyrub

Augur
Hi, the queue was badly bugged.
I fixed it but I forgot to post the link. Apologies to everyone.

Fixed 1.40o queue

I am currently working on a version 1.40p that will improve the shooters AI and put everything together. Probably later this week.

Jocund

Novice
I've just started playing this game for the first time (2 completed games and a few abandoned games).

Is this a "if you're playing this game, you should be using this patch" type patch, or a "best saved for players who've already experienced the game pretty fully" type patch?

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is this a "if you're playing this game, you should be using this patch" type patch, or a "best saved for players who've already experienced the game pretty fully" type patch?
1.40n is the last stable version I used, alongside with the following change in wizards.exe file:
0009bad8 :7d -> 7f
I found AI changes in tactical combat to be detrimental to my enjoyment of the game (since I could now kite them to my heart's content, making combat trivial). Thankfully, it is easy to revert this behavior to vanilla one by changing a single byte.

And this itemdata.lbx might come in handy.

This combination I can recommend as a 'definitive' gaming experience.

Haven't played the new 1.40o patch since it seems to have a few issues, judging by what I gathered from the reports.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hi, the queue was badly bugged.
I fixed it but I forgot to post the link. Apologies to everyone.

Fixed 1.40o queue

I am currently working on a version 1.40p that will improve the shooters AI and put everything together. Probably later this week.

Had some wierd graphical bugs with text in the starting screen, some wierd building that screwed up my city screen after my granery was build and wierd units being on the quee after something finished. Suddenly had my Orc city produce a Dark Elf swordsman unit for instance. Eagerly awaiting 1.40p. I'm amazed at just how much fun this old game still is with your patch btw. Kudos to all your hard work.

kyrub

Augur
Had some wierd graphical bugs with text in the starting screen, some wierd building that screwed up my city screen after my granery was build and wierd units being on the quee after something finished. Suddenly had my Orc city produce a Dark Elf swordsman unit for instance. Eagerly awaiting 1.40p. I'm amazed at just how much fun this old game still is with your patch btw. Kudos to all your hard work.

Hi Trash, yes, I had reports the problems are still not fixed. I am surprised about the "Dark elf swordsman" since I fixed that one and tested it myself. Strange.

I had to cut deep into the code to create the queue and I had to manage large chunks of other data and the side effects are still kicking in.
Sadly - I have completely run out of time now and so I need another window of opportunity to fix it. I'll do it as soon as it is possible, but being realistic, the "soon" may come later... sorry.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, there are now several patches/mods for MoM.
- Insecticide
- 1.50 unofficial (bug fixed based on Insecticide?)
- Caster of Magic (lots of overhaul, by the same author as 1.50?)

From the developer of 1.50 and CoM:
You have two options. The unofficial Master of Magic 1.5x patches are basically updates to the game. They fix bugs and other issues like AI or diplomacy. They don’t change how the game works unless that was the only way to fix a serious bug. Caster of Magic is a mod. It changes most aspects of the game, from unit stats to spells although the core game rules are mostly unchanged. It’s significantly more balanced, more fun, and more challenging than the original game.
Has anyone tried them?
Which one would you recommend?

belated

Augur
I went from insecticide to 1.50 (1.51 now, I see) some time after updates on the former stopped. Tried CoM once I think, but made too many changes for me.

flyingjohn

Arcane
- Insecticide

You have two options. The unofficial Master of Magic 1.5x patches are basically updates to the game. They fix bugs and other issues like AI or diplomacy. They don’t change how the game works unless that was the only way to fix a serious bug. Caster of Magic is a mod. It changes most aspects of the game, from unit stats to spells although the core game rules are mostly unchanged. It’s significantly more balanced, more fun, and more challenging than the original game.
Has anyone tried them?
Caster of magic with the anime portraits seems like a obvious choice.
mom4.png

Edit:Just go for 1.51 patch,it is the only one that feels like a actual patch and not a overhaul.

Alex

Arcane
- Insecticide

Has anyone tried them?
Caster of magic with the anime portraits seems like a obvious choice.
mom4.png

Edit:Just go for 1.51 patch,it is the only one that feels like a actual patch and not a overhaul.

Two nukes weren't enough...

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Apparently, Caster of Magic has been turned into a DLC:

https://www.slitherine.com/game/master-of-magic-caster-of-magic/pc

I am not sure there has been any addition beyond what was available as the mod before.

Improved wizard customization to provide maximal replayability
Improved diplomacy system
Extra emphasis on magic spells and fantastic creatures
Even more spells and units
New city buildings
New AI that provides a challenge for even veteran players
More difficulty levels
Many more map generation options
Building queue system for convenient and faster gameplay

Lagi

Savant
I very happy for Caster of Magic becoming official expansion. Hope the money will allow Seravy to create source for further improvements.
CoM is the only good successor of MoM (and you could be silent about his anime fetish - nobody force you to use it). I hope CoM gets prettier (like Age of Wonders1 would be dope), and more accessible (UI, auto scout - other stuff for casuls).

https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=9846

you can buy CoM on gog for absolutely nothing (2 pounds).

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I very happy for Caster of Magic becoming official expansion. Hope the money will allow Seravy to create source for further improvements.
CoM is the only good successor of MoM (and you could be silent about his anime fetish - nobody force you to use it). I hope CoM gets prettier (like Age of Wonders1 would be dope), and more accessible (UI, auto scout - other stuff for casuls).

https://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=9846

you can buy CoM on gog for absolutely nothing (2 pounds).
An added bonus is that the official CoM DLC won't feature anime portraits :)

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
CoM doesnt have weeb portraits.
You have to go looking for them, copy, overwrite mod files.

Lagi

Savant
CoM have much faster start than mom. You have 2x settlers and 2x infantry. So you can scout terrain and check for good settlement place while you build up your first city. There is also more movement in combat which was always lacking imo.
Tech is faster, buildings are more interesting with massive bonuses.

Is it possible that COM is significantly slower than the original game? I see they preconfigured it on 100 000 cycles, I played the original with about 10 000 cycles. Still in COM loading times and changes between turns seem to be much longer than in the original game.

Lagi

Savant
Donno about turn processing.
Therei is nice option sluggish UI in settings.
If you turn it off the windows will pop up faster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom