Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kerbal Space Program

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have a question about SCIENCE.

What height do I need to orbit at to get those sweet crew/eva report above kerbins grasslands and such?

Drax

Arcane
Ok, had time to play a couple of hours yesterday. This was one sweet update, contracts are better, the new parts (at least those I could unlock) are nice and the VAB report function is actually useful.

My last .90 playthrough was made with NEAR+DR (fuck FAR, I'm not a real pilot dammit) so it wasn't such an abrupt change with the new aerodynamics. There's still some differences, which I can't explain since I don't know the math behind but, overall, it feels really good.

I have a question about SCIENCE.

What height do I need to orbit at to get those sweet crew/eva report above kerbins grasslands and such?

I think those are "space near (body)", in that case anything between 70-100 km should be ok. (I don't remember at which height it becomes "high space"...)

Edit: Hellraiser, Kerbal Alarm Clock is updated.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
07B6AF0B308ED0C97032AEF0F1EFC14E9CD01891

This design originally had 2 wings, but there was an unscheduled weight shave at T+5 seconds.

In other words, the shitty unupgraded runway caused my plane to wobble and explode both wings. Somehow, it still flies pretty well actually. There are still some issues with the aerodynamics in this game :M

Hellraiser

Arcane
In other words, the shitty unupgraded runway caused my plane to wobble and explode both wings. Somehow, it still flies pretty well actually. There are still some issues with the aerodynamics in this game :M

The issue is not with aerodynamics. Those jet engines have enough thrust to allow some pretty cool ballistic flight. The issue is controlling it, but with such low mass as your vessel has all you need is the torque of the cockpit.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

The issue is not with aerodynamics. Those jet engines have enough thrust to allow some pretty cool ballistic flight. The issue is controlling it, but with such low mass as your vessel has all you need is the torque of the cockpit.
It's not a a ballistic flight though, it is stable. I flew it halfway across the world before fuel ran out. Still couldn't complete the eva survey mission though, because the map resolution is too bad.

Also, did I get a lot worse at this game, or is it a lot harder? I can barely make it into orbit with a 1.5kg payload(+command module, parachute and heat shield). The mun is not even on the table without some better engines and fuel containers. Stacking 10+ Solid boosters just isn't feasible it seems.

Drax

Arcane
Try starting the gravity turn earlier to help save some sweet fuel, also regulating thrust to stay around 2g of acceleration (tweak the thrust in VAB for solid boosters) is a good idea. So far.

Also, probably better advice here:

Hellraiser

Arcane
That feeling when you do a mun-transfer burn using only a flea SRB. Well actually it was a flyby, but I did managed to get within 800 km of the mun. Of course the batteries ran out 1/3 of the way into transmitting data from the materials bay.

I need to unlock the LV-909 and solar panels.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
I thought there was a warp to node button somewhere? I'm not that inclined to wait 200 kerbal days for a good transfer window to duna...

Drax

Arcane
That feeling when you do a mun-transfer burn using only a flea SRB. Well actually it was a flyby, but I did managed to get within 800 km of the mun. Of course the batteries ran out 1/3 of the way into transmitting data from the materials bay.
lol, pretty much the same thing happened to me with my first 2 munar probes, ironically I was naming the missions after soviet program ships :lol:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I've been thinking men.

Instead of making a "Let's Play KSP 1.0" thread in the playground, maybe I shold make a set of tutorials for new players. Stuff like "building a rocket 101", "getting into orbit", "first trip to the mun", "how to into science" etc. Would anyone be interested in those, and are there any topics you think I should cover?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

Instead of making a "Let's Play KSP 1.0" thread in the playground, maybe I shold make a set of tutorials for new players. Stuff like "building a rocket 101", "getting into orbit", "first trip to the mun", "how to into science" etc. Would anyone be interested in those, and are there any topics you think I should cover?

I would be interested in a science one for sure. And one with basic guidelines for getting into orbit(like, don't go much faster than x m/s below this altitude, start turning here).

I know enough about orbital mechanics to take it from orbit, but getting there I am not so good at(bloody atmosphere and its nonlinearity!).

Caim

Arcane

Yeah, please do a How To KSP series. I still suck at this game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Current topics I'm planning on:
- Essential mods
- Building your first rocket
- Going into orbit and back
- Squeezing max science/funds out of early campaign
- Advanced rocket design (staging, fuel lines, handy tricks)
- Orbital mechanics (using navball, Hohmann transfers, how to make your orbit behave like you expect)
- Going to the mun
- Landing on minmus
- Orbital rendezvous/docking
- Basic air/spaceplanes

Anything else I should look into?

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Building a useful space station could be a good topic, especially if you can give any hints on how to get large fuel tanks into orbit etc.

Caim

Arcane
This might be a stupid question, but I've seen several videos with a variety of red buttons next to the navball that allow the player to control the ship. Is that some kind of mod or something?

dbx

Arcane
Patron
This might be a stupid question, but I've seen several videos with a variety of red buttons next to the navball that allow the player to control the ship. Is that some kind of mod or something?

Not a mopd. It's based on your kerbal pilot experience, basically you command him to hold the ship in certain directions/positions.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Managed to land a probe on the Mun, but only after I unlocked the 909 and solar panels. To unlock the static solar panels I had to do a manned Munar flyby and return with precious science collected while in low munar altitude. The return trip took me 4 aerobraking passes to avoid burn up.

Currently doing various munar probe missions. Landed a probe once and attempted a "get to munar orbit and return" contract. However I fucked it up because the game told me I was in an orbit but that was just an escape trajectory. Still, got a reliable design.

Also they need to fix the asbestos parachutes. At the moment the best way to avoid re-entry heat explosions is to open a chute and slow down ridiculously fast.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yeah, you can get a bit silly with G forces if you're not running life support mods. 35-40km periapsis is a pretty good height for aerobraking on kerbin. On Duna it needs to be way less because of the thinner atmosphere (I usually go for 10-15km). On Eve you can skim the upper atmo etc.

Asbestos parachutes seem to be a bug, so Hellraisers method should be patched soon. They're meant to be highly flammable. That said, I like having a disposable spare parachute that deploys early. It functions as a drogue parachute until it burns up in the atmo, bleeding off excess speed. The second-stage parachutes then help me land.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Man i suck at rocket building

fKZOyRu.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom