Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

DraQ

Arcane
I don't think it did. It became quite manageable once you got decent weapons. Once i got my hands on a Lr300 the game became incredible easy. Unless you are telling me you used the first pistol you found through the whole game.
Obviously I didn't, but there is a definite learning curve to gunplay in STALKER. Basically the key is sighting-in whenever wanting to shoot anything, avoiding unnecessary movement (including tracking), leading targets and taking single, measured shots.
Also, Mozambique Drill is your friend.

They nerfed the initial weapons so you had a sense of rpg progression through your equipment
Beginning weapons are indeed shitty, but if you do it right you can pick off bandits and dogs reliably even over longer distances with few shots. They are not fully reliable but reliable enough for the start.

One of my favourite sidearms is P99 which you can find in Cordon and MP5 remains quite effective against both bandits and mutated wildlife (less so against military or Monolith, who have body armor and longer range guns, or controllers/bloodsuckers with their unnatural vitality).

Pretty much the way you should shoot in SoC:

Unless you GOT *REALLY* GUD and like it up close and personal:

The reason it was so easy is because most of the challenges are based on economy and once you can buy some decent equipment you can trash almost everything with ease.

This happened quite soon aswell because there was money pouring off every hole in COP.
You can effectively get endgame quality guns and all-around suit from Nimble right off the boat if you scrounge-up some money.
About the scary locations, they failed miserably on SOC because they were filled with Humans shooting through everything at one point or another during your exploration.
Those are fighting words.
X18, man.

mastroego

Arcane
And overall, no. If it were up to me this system wouldn't be in place. That doesn't mean I consider it 100% negative. There are positives here to be found through the hysteria and mania.
Yes, I made that point too, but chances are that positives in this case will only grow in the aftermath of the devastation and infighting.
Rebirth from the ashes and stuff, that kind of thing.

Last edited:

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Obviously I didn't, but there is a definite learning curve to gunplay in STALKER. Basically the key is sighting-in whenever wanting to shoot anything, avoiding unnecessary movement (including tracking), leading targets and taking single, measured shots.
Also, Mozambique Drill is your friend.

I had never heard of the term Mozambique Drill before so thank you for sharing.
The 2nd video was incredible. That little pistol proved much more deadly of what i remembered it for.

Those are fighting words.
X18, man.
Thats the underground lab right?
I remember having another encounter like that on a tunnel with bloodsuckers.
It was all very spooky until humans showed up to be mowed down.

You can add this to the mess Valve and Bethesda created:
http://www.reddit.com/r/modpiracy/comments/33vn5g/if_you_purchased_a_mod_opt_for_a_refund_and_keep/

Pay for the mod, save the files and then ask and get the refund.
You can add this to the mess Valve and Bethesda created:
http://www.reddit.com/r/modpiracy/comments/33vn5g/if_you_purchased_a_mod_opt_for_a_refund_and_keep/

Pay for the mod, save the files and then ask and get the refund.

Well, duh. The mod files aren't DRMed. You can do the same thing with GOG games if you can convince them to give you a refund.

I suggest people not complain about this too much.

Uh, you do realize you get the refund in steam bucks, right?
As in not in real money?
Also, if you do it too often, Steam reserved the right to ban your Steam account.
The same account hopefully does not contain all of your >100 Steam games.

What Infinitron means is that if they notice this becoming a thing, they might go and find a way to put DRM on the mod files.

For your protection, of course. :troll:

waywardOne

Arcane
A Bethesda game is fundamentally a beta release until heavily modded. They're lucky I ever paid for their game in the first place. If the essential mods require more money for Bethesda? Nah, they can fuck right off. I gladly donate to modders already.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Giving content creators a revenue stream has provided Dota/CS/TF2 with shitloads of pretty solid content.
DotA2 would never have existed if people had to pay for it's predecessors. If Blizzard had pulled this shit 20 years ago that entire genre wouldn't exist today.

That's a very complicated assertion to be making. People were technically already paying for DotA through Warcraft III; there was no channel to sell mods during that time; I don't think Blizzard even knew what they had on their hands; and all MOBAs are monetized now, suggesting that people are willing to pay for it (to the tune of being the biggest market) and presumably would have been if it were 20-years ago. I'm not sure how heavily the mod-label would change that when they're fundamentally the same games. All I'll say is that there have been a number of mods which turned to pay and they're all better for it. Killing Floor 2 owes itself to the monetization of the first game, and Rising Storm owes itself to the monetization of the first Red Orchestra. I see no difference in this being done through a company or through a 'pay for the mod' scheme - it's essentially the same end goal: paying for a better product. What bothers me is that gamers are so adverse to either notion that if a modder goes through a company he's a sellout and if he goes through what is now the Steam channel then he's a crook. This suggests to me that fundamentally people just don't want to pay for things - not exactly a shocking deduction.

I'm very confident the 'free market' will decide how the mod market does its thing. I don't play Skyrim, so I'm already not 'buying' any of these mods. If mods came out for the games I do play, I'd only purchase something in line with what I find valuable. If someone, for example, can make a mod for Crusader Kings II in line with the quality of The Old Gods, then I don't really give a shit if the label on it is "mod" or "DLC", I'll toss some dollars down for it. If someone makes a mod in line with the quality of Mediterranean Portraits, then no, I won't buy it no matter what label you stick on there. I've always voted with my wallet and will continue to do so. If modders want to let their mods ride the free market, I say let them. Again, it is no skin off my back. All arguments pertaining to the mechanics and integration of said mods, like how the hell shared assets get distributed, still stand. I've no idea how Valve will handle that shit.

And overall, no. If it were up to me this system wouldn't be in place. That doesn't mean I consider it 100% negative. There are positives here to be found through the hysteria and mania.
Yes, I made that point too, but chances are that positives in this case will only grow in the aftermath of the devastation and infighting.
Rebirth from the ashes and stuff, that kind of thing.

Presumably, yes. The mechanics and functionality of it are not the least bit sound, but that's pretty par for the course for any big change. My opinion is that they should have opened up a 'pay what you want'/'donation' box for mods. Valve's approach has been more like a nuclear detonation over a super popular game.

scient

Augur
Hey, the mod will always be free ! BUT... If you want the special, awesome features of the Enhanced Edition (tm) it's only 6,66$ :smug:

Seriously though, people have offered me paypal donations and I told them to just put in an envelope and mail it to MCA. Because I made this mod first for myself and then for everyone else, because I wanted them to have a better experience with PST.

Also it wasn't just me.
-taplonaplo, scient, The Vanished One, Qwinn helped IMMENSELY with the mod and also many other community members.
-I used many free tools created specifically to mod the IE games.
-I used assets belonging to the game.

How the hell am I supposed to charge for this, even if I wanted to? This is complete bullshit.

My thoughts are exactly with you ghostdog with the whole Skyrim/Valve/Nexus mess. Who wants to play some crippled version of the PST Fixpack where whenever you cast a spell there is a 5% chance of throwing up a pop up for $$$. But wait! For only $19.99 you can have the Platinum Plus Special Edition. Just no.

I don't necessarily think donations are wrong (25% is just insulting), but I echo what you said. I didn't pour countless hours looking over the game's assembly and doing binary analysis for the money. There are much more profitable things to be doing using the same techniques. My focus of working on the PST engine was for myself and for fun. Actually, I totally just messaged Qwinn on a whim with a one byte fix to the Xaositect flag. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. Not that I regret a moment of it. I popped over to SHS forums and it seems it has held up reasonably well with only a few lingering problems. I'm just happy the community benefits from having a better experience from such an amazing game.

While I am not a part of the Skyrim modding community, I hope this concept crashes and burns a painful and fiery death.

Ironmonk

Augur
I just had an idea... what if, people get Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn... clean it with TES5edit (and maybe apply the unofficial patches or a few fixes from them) and then upload (ESM+BSA) to steam workshop for half the price of the DLC's? It can be considered a mod right? :troll:

Modron

Arcane
I just had an idea... what if, people get Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn... clean it with TES5edit (and maybe apply the unofficial patches or a few fixes from them) and then upload (ESM+BSA) to steam workshop for half the price of the DLC's? It can be considered a mod right? :troll:

Doesn't Bethesda get like 50% of the sale so basically they would be selling the game to you at 75% off but Valve would have already taken its' taste of the pie. So yeah if they were smart they would say sure go ahead because they would be making more money that way than selling it at 75% off through steam. Course gaben might have said modder put down like a feral dog
:troll:.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Giving content creators a revenue stream has provided Dota/CS/TF2 with shitloads of pretty solid content.
DotA2 would never have existed if people had to pay for it's predecessors. If Blizzard had pulled this shit 20 years ago that entire genre wouldn't exist today.

That's a very complicated assertion to be making. People were technically already paying for DotA through Warcraft III; there was no channel to sell mods during that time; I don't think Blizzard even knew what they had on their hands; and all MOBAs are monetized now, suggesting that people are willing to pay for it (to the tune of being the biggest market) and presumably would have been if it were 20-years ago. I'm not sure how heavily the mod-label would change that when they're fundamentally the same games. All I'll say is that there have been a number of mods which turned to pay and they're all better for it. Killing Floor 2 owes itself to the monetization of the first game, and Rising Storm owes itself to the monetization of the first Red Orchestra. I see no difference in this being done through a company or through a 'pay for the mod' scheme - it's essentially the same end goal: paying for a better product. What bothers me is that gamers are so adverse to either notion that if a modder goes through a company he's a sellout and if he goes through what is now the Steam channel then he's a crook. This suggests to me that fundamentally people just don't want to pay for things - not exactly a shocking deduction.
Your conclusion is a crock of shit because people have been paying for mods through donations pretty much forever. And DotA didn't just spring up out of thin air in WC3 one day. First of all, it goes all the way back to starcraft and it's plethora of mod maps. That entire scene would have been dead even back then with this kind of system, you'd have never seen Aeon of Strife to begin with. And even if someone had magically made it, it wouldn't have reached enough popularity to get copied, because while you can certainly sucker a few random morons into paying for mods, you can't sucker in the kind of hordes that made DotA utterly dominate the WC3 custom map scene. And without those hordes, and after seeing their amazing mod make each team member 26$ a piece, they'd all most certainly have said 'fuck this shit' and given up.

Note that even the mild screwing around Blizzard did to the custom map system in SC2 pretty much annihilated the scene. Despite it being easier than ever to make higher quality maps, there's nothing to speak of, just a pile of utter garbage. Now lord Gaben is basically dumping napalm all over the workshop and you figure it's going to be better than ever? Yeah, right.

Alex

Arcane
I am predicting in the future, there will be a lot of mods with two version.
Basically mobile gaming = PC modding.

You know what?
The future is now.
Introducing in game ads for free version of mods.

archive: https://archive.is/66fit
source: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/7673

Hello! Tenser here, reminding that your copy of my floating disc spell is only shareware! Please send 300 gold pieces to the Citadel of Eight to receive a full copy! The full spell features 9 other shapes besides discs, including squares, ovals and octagons. Furthermore, it no longer features the restriction of not allowing you to ride your disc!

sser

Arcane
Developer

Your conclusion is a crock of shit because people have been paying for mods through donations pretty much forever. And DotA didn't just spring up out of thin air in WC3 one day. First of all, it goes all the way back to starcraft and it's plethora of mod maps. That entire scene would have been dead even back then with this kind of system, you'd have never seen Aeon of Strife to begin with. And even if someone had magically made it, it wouldn't have reached enough popularity to get copied, because while you can certainly sucker a few random morons into paying for mods, you can't sucker in the kind of hordes that made DotA utterly dominate the WC3 custom map scene. And without those hordes, and after seeing their amazing mod make each team member 26$ a piece, they'd all most certainly have said 'fuck this shit' and given up.

Note that even the mild screwing around Blizzard did to the custom map system in SC2 pretty much annihilated the scene. Despite it being easier than ever to make higher quality maps, there's nothing to speak of, just a pile of utter garbage. Now lord Gaben is basically dumping napalm all over the workshop and you figure it's going to be better than ever? Yeah, right.

You are assuming things we can't possibly know. There was no way for mods to sell their stuff back then, so how would one even begin to assume this or that would happen? I could just as well say that with monetary support the original DotA would have been bigger than ever. The way DotA came about is fairly complicated and to assert this end or that is kinda ridiculous.

And no, I'm not saying it's going to be better than ever. I'm saying there's potential for a sort of mod support we haven't seen before, allowing modders to clomp down on a game instead of inevitably pull away, either by an interested developer or because they just don't have the resources to commit anymore.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The only thing this has the potential to do is shift money from the hands of honest people into the hands of greedy scam artists. And I'd much rather see 1000$ in the hands of someone sharing his work with the community than 1000$ in the hands of someone looting that same community.

This will be about as beneficial as telemarketing has been for consumers. When is the last time you praised telemarketers for making it easier for insurance salesmen and sweepstakes to sell their products?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The only thing this has the potential to do is shift money from the hands of honest people into the hands of greedy scam artists. And I'd much rather see 1000$ in the hands of someone sharing his work with the community than 1000$ in the hands of someone looting that same community.

1000$ hahaha get your head out of your ass pls ,that is probably all the donations on the entire Nexus for all mods they have.People don't donate for mods.It will shift nothing.:lol:

On another note some smart developer,probable smaller studio,will decide to split in modders favor like 50/20 just to get good PR and encourage modding if they want.Put some policy that they will approve only quality mods on reasonable price and get more good will and PR.Calling it now

omega21

Arcane
Great thread. :salute:

I can't wait for the first legal challenge to this shit. If modders really want the big moolah they can damn well form a company and be accountable. I host shitty ads on my blog and I don't expect to get much from them.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
That's just the thing; there are so many different ways that this can spectacularly blow up in Valve's face, and it feels as though they haven't really prepared for any of them. It's part of what makes this entire affair so baffling.

omega21

Arcane
That's just the thing; there are so many different ways that this can spectacularly blow up in Valve's face, and it feels as though they haven't really prepared for any of them. It's part of what makes this entire affair so baffling.

Yeah. Unless their legal team is prepared to take on all comers, spending lots of money in the process.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Honestly.. I am still riding the wave of drama incline.. So many butt hurt second rate modders coming out of the wood work with how all this time they were secretly mad at the community for not donating to their work and how they deserve money for writing mods (which at the time they knew were not worth money and did it only for their own enjoyment and for endorsements on nexus)

OH BUT NOWWW.. Nowww they did it for money and it's a great injustice that they couldn't sell their mods until today. Fuck off :lol:

Ironically the best modders out there that contributed the most, Requiem, FNIS, SKSE have largely opposed donations or kept out of it completely.

It's only Billy's Uber Dwemer Armor type mods with some exceptions that have really gone all money hungry.

Oh and just because nobody pasted it yet: http://skse.silverlock.org/

SKSE said:
Official Position on Paid Skyrim Mods (24 April 2015)
  1. SKSE (and all of our other Script Extenders) will remain FREE to use for everyone. We will not charge anyone for it. Ever.
  2. Creators of mods which depend upon SKSE must make their own choices regarding whether to ask for payment for their mods.
  3. We will not receive any partial payment from those sales.
  4. Reasons for #2 and #3: See #1.
This is an important point for us. We built the Script Extenders to allow modders to do things that couldn't otherwise be done. We want more mods to do more cool things. We want individuals and groups to be able to build on our functionality. Folks are free to use SKSE to build their mods. What they do with those mods and how they distribute them is up to them. The mod creators will need to deal with the fallout (good and/or bad) from those decisions.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They prepared by shifting all copyright liability (modders) and enforcement (copyright holders) to 3rd parties. Who cares about some poor modder getting scammed without resource or some shithead modder getting prosecuted by autolawyer disney bots if Valve and the publisher get their cuts.

:troll:

Why contain it? In the end, they'll beg us for LGPL

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Honestly.. I am still riding the wave of drama incline.. So many butt hurt second rate modders coming out of the wood work with how all this time they were secretly mad at the community for not donating to their work and how they deserve money for writing mods (which at the time they knew were not worth money and did it only for their own enjoyment and for endorsements on nexus)

OH BUT NOWWW.. Nowww they did it for money and it's a great injustice that they couldn't sell their mods until today. Fuck off :lol:

Ironically the best modders out there that contributed the most, Requiem, FNIS, SKSE have largely opposed donations or kept out of it completely.

It's only Billy's Uber Dwemer Armor type mods with some exceptions that have really gone all money hungry.

Oh and just because nobody pasted it yet: http://skse.silverlock.org/

SKSE said:
Official Position on Paid Skyrim Mods (24 April 2015)
  1. SKSE (and all of our other Script Extenders) will remain FREE to use for everyone. We will not charge anyone for it. Ever.
  2. Creators of mods which depend upon SKSE must make their own choices regarding whether to ask for payment for their mods.
  3. We will not receive any partial payment from those sales.
  4. Reasons for #2 and #3: See #1.
This is an important point for us. We built the Script Extenders to allow modders to do things that couldn't otherwise be done. We want more mods to do more cool things. We want individuals and groups to be able to build on our functionality. Folks are free to use SKSE to build their mods. What they do with those mods and how they distribute them is up to them. The mod creators will need to deal with the fallout (good and/or bad) from those decisions.
Damn it they should have charged money for SKSE that type of rebellion is the only thing that will stop this train.

If all the 'good guys' just say it's fine my shit is free... then the sharks will be all "See, everything is fine *evil grin* you don't have to charge for money (yet MWAHAHAHAHA!), this is clearly good for the community."

At the very least they should claim some SKSE copyright and say you can't use the script in your mod if you intend to charge for it. This is just defeatist capitulation.

thesoup

Arcane
Hey guys, do you remember all the drama about Magna Mundi, the mod that became a full game developed by modders and funded by Paradox?

Yeah, you'll be getting a LOT more of that kind of drama. This always happens when modders start making mods for money, because modders are crazy.
I know they were making a game, but what was the drama about exactly?
And yes, I'm totally looking forward to the drama and online breakdowns.

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have a feeling Bethesda spun a wicked tale to Valve of how this is such a good idea. Valve thought to themselves "Yeah, I agree" with great naivety.

Nearly ten years later, Bethesda becomes more and more of the devil. Nine years ago, they proved themselves the great deceiver and betrayer. Now the great tempter. When will this end?

thesoup

Arcane
I have a feeling Bethesda spun a wicked tale to Valve of how this is such a good idea. Valve thought to themselves "Yeah, I agree" with great naivety.

Nearly ten years later, Bethesda becomes more and more of the devil. Nine years ago, they proved themselves the great deceiver and betrayer. Now the great tempter. When will this end?
Yes, Bethesda is surely just tricking Valve into making money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom