Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The writing in this game is average

Athelas

Arcane
He's just not a very good writer compared to McComb
hqdefault.jpg

:M

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
I still have a hard time following the plot sometimes as I have to repeatedly check my journal to see what I have to do next. Maybe once turned based comes into play (jokes aside, 90% sure it will be released sometime, somewhere, somehow) the slower pacing of the overall experience will lower my heart rate enough to take in more of the writing. I enjoy the game immensely and I'm still in act 2, but I fully confess that I find the plot a little overloaded at times and surreal .

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I'm really baffled that Avellone wasn't more involved in this project ,I mean you have a fucking golden egg of a writer in your backyard and you give him to create a measly 2 companions and some gimmicks here and there?
Next time, use the man to his full potential and let him do the whole fucking project please?

Rake

Arcane
I'm really baffled that Avellone wasn't more involved in this project ,I mean you have a fucking golden egg of a writer in your backyard and you give him to create a measly 2 companions and some gimmicks here and there?
Next time, use the man to his full potential and let him do the whole fucking project please?
:salute:

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

Sawyer apparently hates him and managed to brush him to the side.

Well, apparently MCA decided to dedicate his time to several different projects leading to him having less time for each one of them.
I'm also with you - I really, really want an MCA RPG. Like KOTOR2 ot PST. I miss them. Maybe next kickstarter?

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

What if he doesn't want to be more involved? MCA apparently likes to be involved in many different projects at the same time, like working in a spiritual successor to an IE game is not his dream come true.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Well, apparently MCA decided to dedicate his time to several different projects leading to him having less time for each one of them.
I'm also with you - I really, really want an MCA RPG. Like KOTOR2 ot PST. I miss them. Maybe next kickstarter?

Pity he wasted his time on that piece of shit called Wasteland 2,next time stay in your own territory boi and make a great game for your company.

What if he doesn't want to be more involved? MCA apparently likes to be involved in many different projects at the same time, like working in a spiritual successor to an IE game is not his dream come true.

Are you fucking kidding me dude? They almost went out of business not too long ago,this is not time to act like a princes and first there are 150+ peoples jobs on the line.
So I doubt that Avellone wouldn't want to be more involved.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
Damn, that Josh Sawyer... It's pretty badass to bully an owner of the company into submission to be fair.

DeepOcean

Arcane
People are giving a hard time to Eric and the writing team but that isn't entirely fair. They had some nice ideas, the little I played, the dwarven lady on the tree and the bell tolls as a sign for Roderic's child for example were very interesting. What? Pregnant women and people having problems to have children on RPGs? What? I didn't know women could get pregnant on RPGs. Man, some lord going insane because all his children are born defective and hanging people thinking it will solve the curse? That is WAYYYYYYYYY much more interesting than "OMG, I'm a SUPER cool, misunderstood emo mage that want to be a god because some bitch bitchslapped me." in BG 2.

The problem of PoE so far isn't that the ideas aren't good or the writing was written by idiots like most videogames, there are a few issues like verbosity and dialog lines that don't make much sense or feel forced from time to time but that is kinda unavoidable on a big game, for the most part the writing is functional... the major problem of PoE's writing is that it is very... detached. I'm still trying to understand why my character is supposed to do what he is doing.

You know, "Man, shit happened to you but it was kinda of an accident and totally not intentional and now you got SUPER POWERS, congratulations! There maybe some unfortunate side effects like nightmares and stuff but don't worry that will alright." I will have to tell that isn't exactly the right way to prod you foward, you know, some urgency and spicing things up with the antagonist wanting to fuck your ass really good right at the start would make the plot more interesting. I'm feeling I'm wandering aimless right now. Gimme something to hate, to fear or to cheer as soon as possible.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
People are giving a hard time to Eric and the writing team but that isn't entirely fair. They had some nice ideas, the little I played, the dwarven lady on the tree and the bell tolls as a sign for Roderic's child for example were very interesting. What? Pregnant women and people having problems to have children on RPGs? What? I didn't know women could get pregnant on RPGs. Man, some lord going insane because all his children are born defective and hanging people thinking it will solve the curse? That is WAYYYYYYYYY much more interesting than "OMG, I'm a SUPER cool, misunderstood emo mage that want to be a god because some bitch bitchslapped me." in BG 2.

The problem of PoE so far isn't that the ideas aren't good or the writing was written by idiots like most videogames, there are a few issues like verbosity and dialog lines that don't make much sense or feel forced from time to time but that is kinda unavoidable on a big game, for the most part the writing is functional... the major problem of PoE's writing is that it is very... detached. I'm still trying to understand why my character is supposed to do what he is doing.

You know, "Man, shit happened to you but it was kinda of an accident and totally not intentional and now you got SUPER POWERS, congratulations! There maybe some unfortunate side effects like nightmares and stuff but don't worry that will alright." I will have to tell that isn't exactly the right way to prod you foward, you know, some urgency and spicing things up with the antagonist wanting to fuck your ass really good right at the start would make the plot more interesting. I'm feeling I'm wandering aimless right now. Gimme something to hate, to fear or to cheer as soon as possible.

The problem is this odd "act" structure fetish of Eric's that has ruined the pacing. The acts begin and end on totally anti-climactic moments, even if something of note happened, its so cliche that the PC isn't impressed at all. And the beginning of ACT 4... Really Eric? Really? We transition from 3 to 4 during a fall? And Act 4 is what, 5 minutes long? Very Aristotelian. Bravo.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I'm still trying to understand why my character is supposed to do what he is doing.
Because the Watcher has the pleasure to experience ''madness'' ,what's so hard to understand? You need to find the perp to cure you or beat the shit out of him with a crowbar if curing doesn't work ,but in the end they included a small twist to keep you going.
But for me? The writing was so fucking bad that I would have chosen madness over that shitty linear plot.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
MCA doesn't seem that ambitious so it's not likely that he'll try to make a game of his own. Maybe it's for the best, as he's too dumb to figure out how to play a CRPG that even most Fallout 3 fans would've learned to play in 30 minutes and he has aligned himself with SJW game journos. Guido Henkel needs to make a comeback though, too bad his game didn't get funded.
The Josh-Man is indeed badass. I give him that.
As much as a metrosexual feminist from San Fransico can be. He also likes to yell at his employees for not writing enough non white and gay characters.
[
Pity he wasted his time on that piece of shit called Wasteland 2,next time stay in your own territory boi and make a great game for your company.
Lel
Developer(s) inXile Entertainment
Additional work by:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The problem is this odd "act" structure fetish of Eric's that has ruined the pacing. The acts begin and end on totally anti-climactic moments, even if something of note happened, its so cliche that the PC isn't impressed at all. And the beginning of ACT 4... Really Eric? Really? We transition from 3 to 4 during a fall? And Act 4 is what, 5 minutes long? Very Aristotelian. Bravo.
Act 3 is also very short. It has a lot of side-content (that was gated away by a very stupid reason), but the critical path can probably be done in like 30-45 minutes:

Go to Twin Elms, do a quest for a God and jump in the Pit. DONE.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This has been explained in this very thread plenty of times. In what part of the game are you? I'll solve your puzzle.
"Man, shit happened to you but it was kinda of an accident and totally not intentional and now you got SUPER POWERS, congratulations! There maybe some unfortunate side effects like nightmares and stuff but don't worry that will alright." That is what I experienced so far, they may explain later what this is about but that doesn't change the fact that I don't see why my character shouldn't chillax and take some martinis on a tavern and don't worry about those peoples and their weird shit on ruins. On MotB as soon as you wake up, some weird lady says to you that you are on deep shit, then some tentacle beast goes out of you and eat some spirit wolf, now you know by experience you are in deep shit, then some super powerful spirit bear king wants to fuck you up because you are serious deep shit. I would like PoE to you know... be a little more direct what this story is about at the start.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Why are you pretending the whole surviving a Biowac, having dreams about the dwarf woman and the whole crazy watcher part never existed? Short term memory amnesia?
Probably because plot-device-wind happens once on the critical path IIRC?

Radisshu

Prophet
average? compared to what, dostoyevsky? compared to torment it's still good, compared to bioware it's great

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom