Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Party and character creation

LizardWizard

Cipher

Polterer

Barely Literate
Besides the casters, INT is good for martial classes that use lots of active abilities. It also increases the range of aoe's, such as the paladin auras and the range of the barbarian's carnage attacks (carnage is a passive ability that does aoe damage with every attack).

Why is Int good for Active Abilities? As far as I see it, it only increases Duration and AoE. Am I overlooking something obvious here? I would have thought Int would be the dump stat for Monks since they don't have that much AoE or Duration based skills...What am I missing?

Athelas

Arcane
Besides the casters, INT is good for martial classes that use lots of active abilities. It also increases the range of aoe's, such as the paladin auras and the range of the barbarian's carnage attacks (carnage is a passive ability that does aoe damage with every attack).

Why is Int good for Active Abilities? As far as I see it, it only increases Duration and AoE. Am I overlooking something obvious here? I would have thought Int would be the dump stat for Monks since they don't have that much AoE or Duration based skills...What am I missing?
Using an ability like Force of Anguish, a monk with 20 INT will keep an enemy knocked down more than twice as long than a 3 INT monk.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012

Using an ability like Force of Anguish, a monk with 20 INT will keep an enemy knocked down more than twice as long than a 3 INT monk.
Bu he will miss Deflection from PER / RES and thus not tanking good. Monk is a strange class. You want tank? Fighter is better. You want DPS, again others are better. I am using him to tank.

Athelas

Arcane

Bu he will miss Deflection from PER / RES and thus not tanking good. Monk is a strange class. You want tank? Fighter is better. You want DPS, again others are better. I am using him to tank.
Well, I associate tanking with high deflection at the cost of attack speed and there are better choices for that (chanters and paladins, since they can function as buff bots with their chants and aura's and the classes don't have that much offensive potential). Monks need to get hit to generate wounds, so high deflection is not necessarily good on them.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Well, I associate tanking with high deflection at the cost of attack speed and there are better choices for that (chanters and paladins, since they can function as buff bots with their chants and aura's and the classes don't have that much offensive potential). Monks need to get hit to generate wounds, so high deflection is not necessarily good on them.
They take too much damage and need healing. In the beginning i had 10 wounds and nothing to do with them. Some pushing, swift strike - that's it.

So i found tanking on the safer side. I took Monk for frontline tanking, not to DPS. You get wounds eventually, even if the Deflection is high, but you never need heals. Again, it's a strange class, if i want DPS i use something else. If they had battle changing abilities with wound, that would be another story. On the hindsight, i'd rather take cipher or druid.

Athelas

Arcane
They take too much damage and need healing. In the beginning i had 10 wounds and nothing to do with them. Some pushing, swift strike - that's it.
There is a monk ability that increases your damage for every unused wound.

tdphys

Learned
My monk is an offtank that can take damage but still output it. I use durance to prop her up if she needs it. And yes, the burn damage per unused wound talent is definitely good. A true tank is just a wall, my eder is all deflection and DR, no damage really at all. My monk engages up what mobs spill off of eder and kills it, with my cipher main coming in on the flank. If the monk gets overwhelmed, she can die , but she does a good job of containing the spill over and doing damage at the same time. It's just tricky to get enough damage to juice her up, without dying. Some talents help with this.

gromit

Arcane
All this Monk talk, about how they're not good Fighters or Rogues.

Nice kick bro... immediately followed by another just like it, and then Anguish with its knockback to clear the remainder off of Eder.
25ewnye.png

Since then (this was a few sessions ago) the general idea has stuck and I've been thinking about a solo monk.

Managing -- and thus ultimately limiting -- the incoming damage has already been a huge part of my build. I gave up on Con and Might for the gift of lasting crowd control, to interrupt and not be interrupted, and generally only get hit when I'm asking for it (which I literally do.) And mobility, of course.

I could THEORETICALLY use some more damage absorption and output -- things get hairy when I "solo, ish." I'm also probably going to be less impressive against single, strong targets (maybe only until I pick up the attack-speed power and interrupt the hell out of them.) However I bet the boost to my own inventory and XP will help me make up for that. And frankly, it's nice to have the nature godlike's buffs kick in right when it's go-time.

The others are pretty much on permanent support-class duty. Eventually I'll roll up some better friends... I'm thinking that the "weirder" a class is, the better I will find it, if I scheme something up for it (or at least the more fun.) It strikes me as obvious in hindsight, if only because those were the ones designed from the ground up to fit this game, instead of being adapted to fit another... in testament to the work of Sawyer regardless of :balance:

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Man, I've invented such a lulzy tactics. 2 pale elves in the front. 18-9-20-18-3-10 stats. At level 2 with weapon and shield style and small shield they have 73 reflex. 78 with easily found +5 all resist items. 86 with kite shield. Two wizards in the back row. Monks charge and tie up enemies for a while, wizards unleash two Fan of Flames. Since wizards will have 33 accuracy at that point, that's nothing but grazes on our monks. At best. 18 might fan deals 59 damage on the average, graze is 29.5 minus at least 17 reduction - 12 damage total. The foes won't be so lucky, I think (and the monks can always use extra wounds).

Can do the same with 18-18-18-4-10-10 build, fortitude and druids. Yeah, no weapon and shield to rack the fortitude up but the builds itself and the druids are much better.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
At level 2 with weapon and shield style and small shield they have 73 reflex. 78 with easily found +5 all resist items. 86 with kite shield.

Since wizards will have 33 accuracy at that point, that's nothing but grazes on our monks. At best.

:drink:

I still haven't picked a weapon specialization for my melee rogue. Stilettos are the obvious choice, but I wonder if something unorthodox like a 2-handed sword would work, or even be more effective. He's really my only melee DPS at the moment.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I still haven't picked a weapon specialization for my melee rogue. Stilettos are the obvious choice, but I wonder if something unorthodox like a 2-handed sword would work, or even be more effective. He's really my only melee DPS at the moment.

I'm not an expert at the game, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but it seems to me that it's better to use weapons with high base damage rather than low-damage fast weapons like daggers or stilettos. So I'd either go with something like spears or sabres - or, as you said, a two-handed weapon. The reason for this is damage reduction - most monsters have it, it's subtracted from the damage you do with each attack and it could mean that fast, low-damage attacks end up doing very little.

dieu

Learned
So what Class/Race/Background Combo has most unique references in this game? Quests, dialogue options but also unique gear and impact on MQ?

When it comes to quests, dialogue, etc your attributes will be referenced more frequently than your class; your class will mostly just affect how the combat plays out. Race doesn't seem too important either; reactions to your Godlike character may be underwhelming. There are some nice background references but nothing major. I'm nearly finished with the game as a human barbarian dissident.

There's a handful of class-specific gear but again nothing significant (cheesy) that you'd want to build a playthrough around like Carsomyr, Robe of Vecna or a Cleric/Ranger dual-wielding Flail of Ages and Crom Faeyr.

I'm gonna start again as a Cipher, it feels like they'd fit in better with the more interesting parts of the setting. Pump Resolve & Might for interactions, make a beeline for Durance & Grieving Mother, fill the rest of the party with hired help, wreck shit

Pope Amole II

Developer
I still haven't picked a weapon specialization for my melee rogue.

How about battleaxes, dude? With one handed battleaxes and Orlan race & rogue, you will have lots of hits that will transform into pleny of crits. Honest to god 200% crits.

flushfire

Augur
Any attributes that are moderately useful outside of combat? Like say, perception affecting ability to detect secrets or intelligence for interacting with machinery? Which ones are checked a lot in conversation and how much is enough?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Any attributes that are moderately useful outside of combat? Like say, perception affecting ability to detect secrets or intelligence for interacting with machinery? Which ones are checked a lot in conversation and how much is enough?

18 is enough and lot of attributes are checked in dialogues: resolve, perception, and intellect seem to be most often so far... and might too in CYA sections.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Intellect is very useful in Reardick Keep.

Athelas

Arcane
All of them, except constitution, presumably because it's hard to write scenarios where an NPC tries to strangle you every other conversation.

flushfire

Augur
Thanks! 18 though is a little high, I guess that's the maximum check but how about just more than half of them? Or is there a lot that require that high by the end-game? I was thinking lowering might and/or dex a little on a rogue to get 14 int and per for interaction purposes but if that's not enough for >50% of checks I'd just concentrate on one.

Pope Amole II

Developer
At level 2 with weapon and shield style and small shield they have 73 reflex. 78 with easily found +5 all resist items. 86 with kite shield.

Since wizards will have 33 accuracy at that point, that's nothing but grazes on our monks. At best.

:drink:

Actually, by further research I've invented an even better setup for this party - well, almost. It should be a paladin or two on the front, with one or two spear monks in the second line. Maybe some other classes will work too, I'm researching. Pretty much anything that can max dex&per and remain tanky, damage dealy and useful goes.

Nice kick bro... immediately followed by another just like it, and then Anguish with its knockback to clear the remainder off of Eder.
25ewnye.png

So I kicked him in the head 'till he was dead! Nyaha!

I still haven't picked a weapon specialization for my melee rogue.

How about battleaxes, dude? With one handed battleaxes and Orlan race & rogue, you will have lots of hits that will transform into pleny of crits. Honest to god 200% crits.

I like this idea. I didn't roll Orlan because they're furry hobbits, but the idea of my dwarf suddenly becoming Korgan at level 6 is appealing. I'm so conflicted between spears, battle-axes or 2-handed swords. Everyone keeps raving about how great ranged rogues are, but even though he'll never be a kensai/thief, I'd rather run mine as a melee.

I did make a Shieldbearer Paladin custom character to to help tank, but she really seems to pale in comparison to Eder. Even with maxed out Per, Res and Con the Paladin can't touch his deflection or CC. I might ditch the paladin in favor of a 2nd fighter for tanking purposes.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I want to play dwarf with blunderbuss, which class would be best for that?

Edit: no cipher.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom