Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Phage yes I was referring to him. I did use a guide to lookup how to get the other third and my choice early on made it possible. (I actually stumbled onto where since I've been exploring a lot, just needed to follow through).

EDIT: Now what build should I try? I'm thinking either Arcane to try all the cool toys or Skill/Bloodtinge to embrace the weeboo and PvP.

Come to think about it, I don’t think I personally know a single person outside the games industry/press that would enjoy this game — we’re falling down on our duty to make sure they know that.

I don't want people outside the gaming industry enjoying this game. Dave Thier professional moron confirmed.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
WELL. I will be fighting it on my second character eventually. Second character is actually already stronger than my first one, but I'm doing all the optional stuff and chalice dungeons.

On that note...

DragoFireheart did you go to

Forsaken Castle Cainhurst and Upper Cathedral Ward/The Orphanage ?
I have to admit I didn't find either on my first playthrough since they're pretty well hidden without a guide imo. Also each of those areas has a boss I'd consider quite a bit harder than the main story bosses

DragoFireheart

I did not go there on my first playthrough, didn't find the first one without a guide and the second one I'm saving for later.

Can you confirm if the blunderbuss style guns have better parrying frames or something? I tired using the pistol but it seemed much harder compared to the blunderbuss.

A comment from that article:

You seemed pretty comfortable with the echo chamber during GamerGate, what changed?

Shots fired.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Can you confirm if the blunderbuss style guns have better parrying frames or something? I tired using the pistol but it seemed much harder compared to the blunderbuss.

I'm like 90% certain the blunderbuss does parry better. I don't think you get more frames - because I'm pretty positive that unlike dark souls, in this game, what matters is you hitting the enemy during specific frames in their attack animation. I think the difference is that the wider spread ensures that you hit the specific spot required to cause the stagger more often. On the other hand, I've noticed that against fuckhuge bosses like Amygdala, the blunderbuss will just straight up not have a long enough range to reach their weak points.

DragoFireheart

I'm like 90% certain the blunderbuss does parry better. I don't think you get more frames - because I'm pretty positive that unlike dark souls, in this game, what matters is you hitting the enemy during specific frames in their attack animation. I think the difference is that the wider spread ensures that you hit the specific spot required to cause the stagger more often. On the other hand, I've noticed that against fuckhuge bosses like Amygdala, the blunderbuss will just straight up not have a long enough range to reach their weak points.

So then you should keep both kinds handy:

Blunderbuss for close encounters.

Pistol for when you need range.

DragoFireheart

Villagkouras forgot to look at my playtime but it was about 30 hours.

Just started a new playthrough to get my skill/bloodtinge character going and the Cane is an interesting starting weapon.

For whatever reason I was having issues with Cleric Beast but one-shot Father. The cane is great for fast enemies but is awful against enemies where you want a powerful charge attack.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Just because I find this to be very interesting, the following bosses seem to be the only actual mandatory fights in the game, presuming you don't do the stupid fence hopping glitch.

Father Gascoigne
Vicar Amelia
Shadows
Rom
One Reborn
Host of Nightmares
Mergo's Wet Nurse

that means the majority of bosses are totally optional, which, honestly, I think is a really cool design choice

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Easyborne.

I'm going to go make an arcane build now.

The dude has 30 arcane and was co-oping. He also has 24 insight at Vicar. That means he was over-leveled AND had somebody to distract the boss.

Trust me, arcane is barely worth it. The only weapons that directly scale with it are all mid-late game, the spells are pretty shitty, and the weapons that do scale with it can't be enchanted.

DragoFireheart

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Phage Putting a elemental gem into Ludwig's Holy Blade causes it to be a pure element and scale with Arcane at +A.

Technically, every weapon that can be pure fire/bolt/arcane is an arcane scaling weapon. You can get a fire gem after beating BSB.

Fire is highly effective against beasts while bolt is highly against against kin (anything that looks like a alien or has tentacles.)

Also: http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/30zflh/did_i_miss_some_memo_about_committing_suicide_in/

When you do an elemental gem you lose the regular scaling. So, yeah.

DragoFireheart

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Phage I know you lose the regular scaling, but it also instead uses the Arcane scaling.

Ludwigs has A at +10. I've heard it's amazing.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/30wu49/the_hunters_guide_to_beasts_and_kin_part_1/

I'll test it out and give you feedback. For the record, I had my +6 Ludwig's w/ some gems deal 500 damage to the sack guys via a power attack. I believe at the time I had 13 skill and some amount of strength (20 I think).

But the point is that Ludwigs is amazing without an arcane gem, lol. at +10, the ludwig's has a B in both str and skill, so you can just do a 25/25 split in those stats and be much stronger than using arcane.

The real point of using Arcane is to either get it to 15 so you can use the magic enchancement, or so you can gain damage for Blades of Mercy, Burial Blade, Flamethrower and Rosemarius.

DragoFireheart

at +10, the ludwig's has a B in both str and skill, so you can just do a 25/25 split in those stats and be much stronger than using arcane.

Do you know that for a fact? We know that the numbers don't also show the actual damage of the weapon.

Maybe I'll still do some slight arcane to take advantage of the empty phantasm shell instead of going full arcane. You can't use papers or the shell on arcane/fire/bolt weapons sadly. Regardless of what I do it's going to be using Ludwig's Holy Blade, I love that thing too damn much to give it up.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
at +10, the ludwig's has a B in both str and skill, so you can just do a 25/25 split in those stats and be much stronger than using arcane.

Do you know that for a fact? We know that the numbers don't also show the actual damage of the weapon.

Maybe I'll still do some slight arcane to take advantage of the empty phantasm shell instead of going full arcane. You can't use papers or the shell on arcane/fire/bolt weapons sadly. Regardless of what I do it's going to be using Ludwig's Holy Blade, I love that thing too damn much to give it up.

It obviously depends on what you're comparing to.

I mean, if we're looking at a build where you have 25 str / 25 skill vs only 25 arcane, then obviously the str/skill build will be stronger. On the other hand, if you were to compare, I guess, 40 arcane to the base requirement str/skill for the weapon than arcane will be stronger. Having said that, take into account using paper or shell, and the fact that you have a higher overall cap for skill points, I think it's pretty obvious that going straight str/skill on the Ludwig's is stronger.

DragoFireheart

Phage The phantasm shell actually requires 18, not 15 last I checked.

So I did some math for this build:

Ludwig's Quality Shell:

Vit: 30
End: 25
St: 25
Skil: 25
Bt: 5
Arc: 15

That adds up to only level 74 with the Cruel Fate origin which is well below the 100 meta that is being proposed. I could put 7 more levels into Arcane to reach that soft cap and take advantage of tools/misc elemental weapons. That's level 81, 16 more levels of whatever I want.

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
DragoFireheart It's 15 men http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Empty+Phantasm+Shell

and frankly, after getting my arcane to 25, you should just fuckin leave it at 15, lol. the spells just consume way too many bullets for the amount of damage they do.

If you really want to do PVP, you could just put a shitton of points in vitality, get that sucker up to 50, then put the rest in str/skil as long as it's giving you more damage.

DragoFireheart

Phage My bad, I must have been looking at some other item.

A lot of people are talking about skimping on endurance, leaving it as low as 20. But isn't that a mistake?

I also refuse to go weeboo and use the katana for pvp. Hopefully most of the weapons are viable in at least one of their trick forms.

Also, have you used the Old Hunter's Bone? What does it do exactly?

Last edited:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
A lot of people are talking about skimping on endurance, leaving it as low as 20. But isn't that a mistake?

Hmm. Honestly, I have pretty much no intention of PVPing in its current state, but, I've left endurance as low as 15 on my second character and I barely notice it, especially with the stamina regen rune. I guess putting a few more points would let me get off an extra hit on stunlocked enemies, but against bosses it seems almost pointless. Ultimately, you can perform a shitton of rolls with low stamina, plus there's no encumberence stat to make up for it, and the extra poison resistance is pretty negligible.

It's your call though. Honestly, everything seems too early to decide on definitive builds, and FROM does typically release a couple big balance patches for each souls game.

I also refuse to go weeboo and use the katana for pvp. Hopefully most of the weapons are viable in at least one of their trick forms.

For PvE everything is definitely viable. I saw some guy beating the Chalice Queen with a Saw Cleaver without much trouble, which I honestly thought was like the shittiest weapon overall.

Also, have you used the Old Hunter's Bone? What does it do exactly?

The bone, in theory, would be extremely good - it turns your dashes/rolls into teleports which are even faster. I'm presuming this gives you more iframes relative to the amount of time spent traveling as well. The problem with it in practice is it only lasts for a few seconds and sucks down a lot of QS when used repeatedly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom