Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Wonders 3

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Game was good on release bro. These just it make that much better. Stop being a cheap prick, these guys arent doing this for charity.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Or just play AOW 2: Shadow Magic which is a better game
But boy you can do nasty things with item forge. That would be too easy, you need a real challenge by using blander game that removed that feature for balance reasons.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game was good on release bro. These just it make that much better. Stop being a cheap prick, these guys arent doing this for charity.
Can't brofist but I would if I could.

AoW 3 maybe is not at the same level than the previous ones, but it was a decent 4x-TBS game and this dlc is gonna step up the quality a lot. I paid for it on vanilla and I will buy it the dlc. Not everyone is the same I guess.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It wasn't the most obsolete sequel ever, but it was obsolete.

Sequels should:
1. Improve on the previous game - best option.
2. Deliver more of the same - worse option, but definitely acceptable for the fans.

AoW3 didn't achieve these goals, it's not a bad game, but it's worse than SM.

belated

Augur
Give AoW3 a -75% discount when Eternal Lords is released and I'll consider it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

rvm1975

Educated
From all TBS games only Eador have had campaign which is unique and deep in some ways. Not just movie/story with gameplay pauses like blizzard's star/war crafts

Norfleet

Playing skirmishes is boring. And you wouldn't appreciate how big disaster on a wheel is AoW3 when you wouldn't play the campaign.
Yeah, but you know...who really plays the campaign of these games? Campaigns in such games are always terrible because you're forced to play with a crippleware ruleset rather than the REAL ruleset of the full game. It's much like those RTS campaigns, where you're arbitrarily forbidden from building the units you actually need to solve the problem. The tech tree just...STOPS. Your enemy is often under no such limitations. Skirmish or MP is where you have to go to get the full game experience. AOW, being even more like a 4X in nature, just makes that even more clear: If there's an offered campaign in a 4X game, it's a glorified tutorial for dummies, holding your hand and refusing to let go long after you just want to DO YOUR OWN THING.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Playing skirmishes is boring. And you wouldn't appreciate how big disaster on a wheel is AoW3 when you wouldn't play the campaign.
Yeah, but you know...who really plays the campaign of these games? Campaigns in such games are always terrible because you're forced to play with a crippleware ruleset rather than the REAL ruleset of the full game. It's much like those RTS campaigns, where you're arbitrarily forbidden from building the units you actually need to solve the problem. The tech tree just...STOPS. Your enemy is often under no such limitations. Skirmish or MP is where you have to go to get the full game experience. AOW, being even more like a 4X in nature, just makes that even more clear: If there's an offered campaign in a 4X game, it's a glorified tutorial for dummies, holding your hand and refusing to let go long after you just want to DO YOUR OWN THING.
Well in Eador you must choose shards wisely, priorityze which you'd get, and use different strategies when you are restricted in what building you can have. Opponents have also some restrictions.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So guise, a year into the release, with updates and expansions, is this worth to sink a few dozen hours in? I know at launch it was boring and dreary as fuck, have the improvements made any difference?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Wait for a discount so you get base game plus two expansions for a decent price, and its one of the best turn based strategy games out there.

Rellin

Novice
So guise, a year into the release, with updates and expansions, is this worth to sink a few dozen hours in? I know at launch it was boring and dreary as fuck, have the improvements made any difference?

I'd wait for a sale, but as someone who bought it when it first came out and only played a bit, but has been playing since the 1.5 patch, I think it is fun and worth playing now. I am hoping the expansion coming makes it even better, and from what beta testers are saying, it does.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I think reading about AoW3 in Comic sans has been definitely an improvement of the whole subject. The trouble is they basically sucks as game developers, or they have awfully small knowledge about fantasy, various species, and lets be straight the story sucks.

Huge update available today with major re-balancing and new features. Looks positive on paper, and a step closer to Shadow Magic. Some highlights:

Vassals: As your relations with Independents improve through better race relations and completing quests, you can convince independent towns to serve you as Vassals. Though they retain independence, Vassals have many benefits: they provide you with trade income, grow in population and maintain their own defenders. If they like you enough, Vassals will occasionally give you units for free, and you can demand tribute in the form of resources or units in cases of emergency.

Race Happiness: Relations are now tracked per race, making decisions about who you make war with much more important. Declaring war on an Elven city might give you a quick conquest, but don’t expect your Elven citizens to be happy about it afterwards. Something to take into account, as you can now expand your realm without warfare. In Eternal Lords, Race happiness will be further expanded with the Race Governance system and new victory condition.

Added diversity for Core Races: The Dwarves have doubled down on their defensive character, as well as the defensive strike ability that allows them to attack and guard in the same turn. Dwarven support units, such as Shamans and Apprentices, are now all armored. The keen senses of the High Elves, on the other hand, allows them to respond to attacks that would catch other races off-guard, all their support units now have the Total Awareness ability, meaning they cannot be flanked by attacks from behind. The Draconians have a host of new tricks, with the Charger being able to fly in tactical combat and the Raptor doing melee fire damage. These changes should make your choice of race more important than ever!

Diplomacy AI Improvements: The AI now uses personalities, with them adopting diplomatic, neutral or aggressive playstyles with accompanying alignment and specialization choices. The AI has learned more actions and feels less like a black box. For example there’s a set of new messages giving reasons for declined proposals. Settling near an AI’s domain, trespassing its domain or demanding a tribute are sure ways to provoke a response. Computer opponents now request alliances to take out a very powerful player and also learned new negotiating tricks like counter offering, demands and gifting.

Rellin

Novice
I think reading about AoW3 in Comic sans has been definitely an improvement of the whole subject. The trouble is they basically sucks as game developers, or they have awfully small knowledge about fantasy, various species, and lets be straight the story sucks.

Triumph is awesome and have done a great job all throughout this game's development since release. I am a total Triumph fanboy though. I highly recommend giving this game another shot, even without the expansion. The base game is on sale for cheap now and the expansions add a lot to the game and are very worth it.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
One of the best turn based fantasy games, especially with the latest expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom