Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I played way too far into the night yesterday and am really having fun. German Translation is pretty... meh unfortunately with words missing, wrong grammar and misspellings. And sometimes very strange translations of words and phrases.
Also maybe I was just unlucky but the pathfinding in combat is a bit frustrating. Aside from that it seems like a really good game. I am thinking about rerolling for the third time tho, tried barbarian first, then rogue and am now thinking about chanter.

Also do you guys think it's better to have "extreme" stats like max Might but super low Perception or is it better to spread the stats even? So far I was going for the latter (with my highest stats being around 16) since having a dump stat really seems like a huge disadvantage but from what I saw from some people they went with very extreme stats so I am a bit unsure.

I've never got it why people play game in translated language rather than the original english if the player can perfectly understand english. IMO you always lose something in translation.

Viata

Arcane
-I kinda like what they did with the kickstarter backer NPCs though I wish you could actually interact with some of them in some way. It's kinda like reading the sensory stones in Torment.
Would those NPCs be the ones I can see inside their souls? The ones with names on a yellow square?
I did find them strange but I can see why they are this way now. I thought it was Aloth's skill since I first saw those NPCs after he was in my party. lol

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Also do you guys think it's better to have "extreme" stats like max Might but super low Perception or is it better to spread the stats even? So far I was going for the latter (with my highest stats being around 16) since having a dump stat really seems like a huge disadvantage but from what I saw from some people they went with very extreme stats so I am a bit unsure.

I maxed Might and Intellect and spent whatever was left on Dex. I was tempted to lower Perception/Resolve and max Dex as well, but I was worried about going in blind with low defensive stats. I am definitely glad that I did not drop constitution.

Edit: When I make another playthrough on PotD, I likely will make a more extreme stat build.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

Shepard taught me to always be EXTREME.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
I just found out by accident that you can loot directly to the "stash" and it's unlimited size

:retarded:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've never got it why people play game in translated language rather than the original english if the player can perfectly understand english. IMO you always lose something in translation.

Well that's the thing, I do not perfectly understand English. So I have the choice of missing out stuff due to translation or due to me not understanding everything :P

I maxed Might and Intellect and spent whatever was left on Dex. I was tempted to lower Perception/Resolve and max Dex as well, but I was worried about going in blind with low defensive stats. I am definitely glad that I did not drop constitution.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. Dumping the other stats seems like giving away all my defensive abilities, so I am not quite sure. I guess I'll stay with a more balanced approach. Do you gain attribute points at some point btw?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, it's now or never.

Advice from beta backers, do I go with a

4 Arbalest build for my Islander Cipher

or

A 4 Blunderbuss build

Either of those builds give unreal burst damage in between focus charges, its just a question of how valuable the newly nerfed 6 shot 6-9 blunderbuss is vs the Arbalest "just strait doing a lot of damage."

Arbalest also takes one less talent because blunderbuss absolutely demands the damage penetration talent, but Blunderbuss can net some pretty unreal focus.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, it's now or never.

Advice from beta backers, do I go with a

4 Arbalest build for my Islander Cipher

or

A 4 Blunderbuss build

Either of those builds give unreal burst damage in between focus charges, its just a question of how valuable the newly nerfed 6 shot 6-9 blunderbuss is vs the Arbalest "just strait doing a lot of damage."

Arbalest also takes one less talent because blunderbuss absolutely demands the damage penetration talent, but Blunderbuss can net some pretty unreal focus.
Ciphers only need to fire a single blunderbuss shot to gain loads of focus. You're better off utilizing multiple guns with a ranger or rogue.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Raedric's castle was a lot of fun... Until the level where he was "crashed" and i was unable to enter there. So i had to restart 1 hour back (tried many saves none would work), So at that point i just brute forced my way past them... I should have killed everything / everyone and looted everything. But after spending like 20min to get past the bug i got abit annoyed X_X

Anyway i have died a few times both due to dumb mistakes and at times when i have not been careful. I have enjoyed the game greatly so far :)

Also damn the ghosts / wisps @_@ Mind control , drain life, hard to hit (or i'm unlucky)

I have also noticed some very strange problems at times where a character just run away (without a effect on them), There are also this annoying thing where i tell my character to cast a spell on a enemy target. Then my character runs up and hits a mind controlled team mate (for no reason) canceling the spell.

Also am i the only person who is very unlucky and have a hard time hitting anything in this game?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
]Ciphers only need to fire a single blunderbuss shot to gain loads of focus. You're better off utilizing multiple guns with a ranger or rogue.

Ah.

Well, when you put it that way, if it really doesn't matter much either way, then yeah I guess.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also do you guys think it's better to have "extreme" stats like max Might but super low Perception or is it better to spread the stats even?
I min-maxed second char and run around nekked, fights are already less of a drag. You might think -6 Reflex is bad and then in first dungeon you get a cloak +5 to all saving throws soo yeaah.
I don't think it's very fun to play as a tanky char or mediocre char. Although it might depend on a class of course.

roshan

Arcane
I just started the game.... Planning to run with a dual wielding rogue, is that a good idea?

So far it seems extremely buggy. I keep having parts of sound clips continuously playing as if the game has frozen (though it continues to run) and sometimes when I move my character somewhere, she keeps hopping back and forth.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath

For me, it could make sense for language practice if it's not my native language that I'm playing in (and games don't get translated into Estonian, so that's not an issue). Games and cartoons are pretty much how I originally learned English as a kid, after all!

For instance, I've been reading the Witcher (Noituri) novels in Finnish for language practice and I do feel that it helps a lot - alussa ei ollut helppoa, mutta ajan kuluessa alkaa kyllä ymmärtää melkein kaiken. :P

Last edited:

btbgfel

Scholar
Blackscreen then Crashed when I tried to leave Raedric Hold. My rig is old but does have 4g ram and 64bit sys.
I solved it by reload a ealier save and rest 8 hours to leave castle at daytime. Still a gamestopping bug it is.:cry:

ArchAngel

Arcane
So what made them drop accuracy from stats? Sucks for any shield maiden, can't compliment that weapon set with stats and penalty on shields doesn't seem fair when you look up what you can do with 2-handed or dual wielding.
Because everyone and their mother always maxed Accuracy because it is too important in this game as it both affects hit chance and critical hits and that same system is both used for damage spells and duration of debuffs.

Stompa

Arcane
I'm really butthurt about the fact that you can't enchant hats. :rpgcodex:

Oh yeah, and fatigue mechanics blow dick, no indicators or anything, it just pops up after some time on least athletic party members, forcing you to rest. I sure like my adventuring day being shortened. And also Kana Rua's chants suck.

11/10, game is okay

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Backstabbing with pistols/arbalests is helluva fun. Just crittted some poor fella for 84 and melted his friends thanks to me traps.
Wizard didn't impress me aloth (got it, huh GOT IT!?!?!?) but grown on me after I started to use crowd control spells rather than aoe damage spells. Slows, paralyze and confisions work wonders.

Durance is so fucking good.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
I'm really butthurt about the fact that you can't enchant hats. :rpgcodex:

Oh yeah, and fatigue mechanics blow dick, no indicators or anything, it just pops up after some time on least athletic party members, forcing you to rest. I sure like my adventuring day being shortened. And also Kana Rua's chants suck.

11/10, game is okay
When you level everyone up, make sure to give them all the same level of athletics so that nobody is a burden on the party.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So what made them drop accuracy from stats? Sucks for any shield maiden, can't compliment that weapon set with stats and penalty on shields doesn't seem fair when you look up what you can do with 2-handed or dual wielding.

Their QA, apparently. I don't like the change either. Gonna play the game first before I decide to mod it in or not though.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Well that's the thing, I do not perfectly understand English. So I have the choice of missing out stuff due to translation or due to me not understanding everything :P

I can understand that but practice makes the master :cool:

Cromwell

Arcane
Is there poison in the game? I wanted to maximize my dialogue options and go for a rogue with int, dex, per as main stats. Which would mean he is not very good at doing raw damage. Is that negateable by doing using poisons or such debuffs and prolonging them with int or letting them procc more with high dex?

PillarsofEternityCharacterPortrait22.jpg
LyLzgOwz.jpeg

Something is rotten in the State of Denmark Dyrwood. But seriously, I love the fact that they didnt have to exaggerate his pointy elven ears.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
There's a talent called Poisonous Strike or some shit. Venomous Attack? I forget.

And yeah there's some DoT poison, but I don't think any party members can inflict it other than with that talent. Spiders and shit can though.

Starwars

Arcane
Would those NPCs be the ones I can see inside their souls? The ones with names on a yellow square?
I did find them strange but I can see why they are this way now. I thought it was Aloth's skill since I first saw those NPCs after he was in my party. lol

Yep, those are the ones.

Also, fuck Shadows/Shades (whichever are the worst), hate those things.

Kinda loving the game overall. It's got its flaws, definitely. But it's one of those games where I really can't wait to get back into it again, extremely addictive.

It's surprisingly bug-free on my end so far, had expected way more problems given the size and scope of the game. WL2 was a disaster compared to this.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So from what I get, the most optimal way to play a Cipher is a ragend character with maxed Int and Mig, but that sounds very boringcompared to dual wielding version looked much more fun.
So:
853oSoX.jpg

So ended up sacrificing Mig for more Dex (for speed bonus to partially offset Light Armor penalty) and Res (for Con bonus and some survivability). Weapons are obviously the fastest with Accuracy bonus. Death Godlike is supposed to compensate not that good Mig, but still looks like it going to be more support character for crowd control than a damage dealer. So far game don't seems to be that punishing for non min-max builds.
You killed Calisca ? LOL..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom