Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Recent RPGs Did You Buy?

RPGs Bought

• Age of Decadence

• Banner Saga

• Black Guards

• Dark Souls 2

• Dragon Age: Inquisition

• Dead State

• Diablo 3

• Divinity: Original Sin

• Legends of Eisenwald

• Lords of Xulima

• Might and Magic X

• Neo Scavenger

• Pillars of Eternity

• Serpent in the Staglands

• Shadowrun (Returns, Dragonfall or both)

• Underrail

• Wasteland 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
* Age of Decadence - Early Access, haven't played
* Banner Saga - Kickstarted, completed
* Blackguards - Bought on release, completed
* Dragon Age: Inquisition - Bought on release, not beaten
* Dead State - Kickstarted, not played final release
* Diablo 3 - Bought on release, completed
* Divinity: Original Sin - Kickstarted, completed
* Pillars of Eternity - Kickstarted, played the beta
* Shadowrun (Returns, Dragonfall or both) - Kickstarted, beaten both campaigns. playing DF DC now
* Underrail - Early Access, not played
* Wasteland 2 - Kickstarted - Playing now

Want
Legends of Eisenwald
Serpent in the Staglands

Ninjerk

Arcane
I myself bought AoD, Underrail, and DF:DC. I was gifted D:OS and WL2 (didn't vote for them).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like the best thing to do would be to wait until they're in a completed state before buying them.
Well, that's the funny thing about Kickstarter games. Someone has to front the money. Normally I agree that preordering is stupid when you can just wait for release and read the reviews. Your after-the-fact purchase makes zero difference to the quality of a publisher-sponsored game. But in the case of a KS, pledging up front has a real (if minor) impact. So in a sense you really can't wait for release to buy a KS game unless you want it to be not as good as it could have been.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Kickstarted/Pre-ordered:
  • Age of Decadence
  • Wasteland 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Divinity Original Sin
  • Legends of Eisenwald
  • Dead State
  • Shadowrun
Planning to buy:
  • Underrail
  • MMX
  • Blackguards
  • NEO
  • Serpent in the staglands
  • Lords of Xulima

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Banner Saga
Blackguards
Shadowrun Returns
Diablo 3

Of which I have shamefully only really had time to play Diablo 3 to any notable extent. :argh:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Stuff I've tried:

Bannu Saga - :5/5::1/5: - 'k game, but too short. I liked the combat and the graphics were very pleasing.
Blackguards - :5/5::2/5: - Solid combat, unintuitive character system, needs better exploration and storeh
Diablo 3 RoS - :3/5::0/5: Yawnfest. Thank god for Buccaneer Cove demoing.
Divinity: Original sin - :5/5::5/5: GOTY. Even if the quality dropped noticably after cyseal and went into freefall after the snow world.
Dragon Age: CISquisition - :0/5::0/5: RK47 tried to warn me... Why didn't I listen?
Legend of Grimrock 2 - :5/5::2/5: I'm not a big blobber fan, but LoG2 was very enjoyable. Felt less coherent than the first, but the combat was more entertaining and the exploration was more interesting.
M&M X - :4/5::0/5: Didn't really care for it. Grimrock was better.
Shadowrun - :5/5::3/5: Enjoyed it a lot. Story was a bit too linear for my liking and I didn't approve of the pop-up icons. More interesting loot (unique weapon/fetish?), more complex character building and a matrix that didn't suck would've gone a long way here.
Wasteland 2 - :2/5::0/5: Overrated crap. Too brown, uninspiring writing. Combat bored me to tears. Stopped shortly after arizona and haven't picked it up again after.

Underrail - Rather liked the short slice I played. Waiting until it's done before diving in proper.
Dead State - Kickstarted, didn't play. Not sure why I bought since I don't care much for zombies.

Last edited:

Gulnar

Scholar
I bought Drogonfall, Torment, Blackguard (even tho i can't play it, potato pc is potato) aaaaand pauper sorceror.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Good thread! My games from this list thus far:
Age of Decadence (don't actually have this but will 100% certainly buy it once it releases)
Banner Saga
Blackguards
Divinity: Original Sin
Legends of Eisenwald
Lords of Xulima
Might and Magic X
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun Returns
Underrail
Wasteland 2

Recent RPGs that I've bought that are not listed in the poll:
Eschalon Book III
Legend of Grimrock 2
South Park
Valkyria Chronicles

Nas92

Augur
Wasteland 2 and Might and Magic X. Wanted to buy Divinity: Original Sin too, but I've already wasted too much money buying Wasteland 2 immediately upon relase, so I've decided to wait with Original Sin until the price drops.

LarsWestergren

Educated
Kickstarted: Dead State, Wasteland, Pillars of E, Shadowrun, Wasteland, Banner Saga, Divinity
Bought: Diablo 3, Dark Souls 2, MMX, DAI, Legend of Grimrock 2, South Park, Valkyria Chronicles

Haven't started Dark Souls 2 or Dead State yet. Diablo 3 is the only one I really disliked, bought it to play with friends, none of us enjoyed it. Finished and enjoyed MMX, South Park, Wasteland and especially Shadowrun: DF.

DAI I've only played a few hours so far, still on the fence. Lavish environments and graphics, dialogue goes from pretty good to cringeworthy, combat...not played enough to decide. Seems a bit too easy to run over and hug fallen party members better in the middle of a fight. The immediate "ooh ahh, the chosen one!" from everyone is grating.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The last rpg I bought was an interactive D&D game called Dungeons and Dragons: The Scourge of Worlds.

It was pretty awesome. It had a Choose Your Own Adventure/ Lonewolf structure where after each encounter you got to choose what to do next. And the game kept track of damage and items on your party members. Although you lead the party, you weren't in full control of them PCs. For instance, even if you tell the Chaotic thief to gather rumors at the inn instead of pickpocketing, iirc she'll try to steal something anyway and get you into a lot of trouble.

It also had a decent length, decent plot, great C&C and very well produced. Too bad WotC never made a sequel.

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10284.phtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scourge_of_Worlds:_A_Dungeons_&_Dragons_Adventure

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375048/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_17

Deleted member 7219

Bought:
  • Age of Decadence - Loved it loved it loved it, only played the demo and a tiny bit of early, early access then I stopped because I knew I was spoiling everything. Looking forward to full release.
  • The Banner Saga (15 hours) - Good art, good soundtrack, ok combat, everything else was disappointing. I'd just say the game was 'ok'. Completed it once, might buy the sequel when it is cheap
  • Blackguards - Haven't played, picked it up in a Steam Dark Eye deal
  • Diablo 3 (2-3 hours) - Got it for free from being a WoW subscriber, didn't like it very much so I haven't played much of it
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition (70 hours) - Main story had some good points, the companion quests are mostly good, and I liked some of the reactivity from previous world states. The game looks really good on the whole. But the levelling / skill system is absolute shit, as are the sidequests. Felt like a big empty MMO game. Dragon Age 2 was better.
  • Grim Dawn - Haven't played, waiting for full release
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth (15 hours, two full playthroughs) - Looked great, felt like the TV show, I only wish it was a bit longer and had some of the C&C / reactivity Obsidian are known for
  • The Witcher 3 - GOG pre-order to support CDPR
Kickstarted:
  • Dead State (2 hours) - Waiting for the supposed uber patch. I actually really like the look of the game, and the skill system looks good too, but I don't see the point of sinking time into what is essentially a beta if big patches are on the way.
  • Divinity: Original Sin (26 hours) - I don't think this is an amazing RPG and I'm surprised so many Codexers do. Sure, the combat can be interesting but the story / quests / writing are pretty poor, especially when compared to Obsidian, HBS, even Bioware and Bethesda. I got to the second map and got bored, but I hear there's another big patch on the way so I'll wait for that.
  • Pillars of Eternity - Most anticipated of the year for me (I think Torment will probably get a delay)
  • Shadowrun Returns inc. Dragonfall DLC (30 hours) - Really enjoyed this. OC was ok although it could have had a bit more reactivity, C&C and less of the ghost spiders. Dragonfall DLC was excellent, felt like old Bioware, almost felt as good as Obsidian.
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC (20 hours) - The improvements made the game a whole lot better. I didn't notice anything different about the ending, but the cover mechanic makes combat a lot more fun and there's a few extra bits of content which add to the overall playtime
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera
  • Wasteland 2 (32 hours) - Another Kickstarted game which still isn't finished. I've sank a lot of time into this, which now feels wasted because of the upcoming special edition or whatever they'll call it. I'll just have to start a new playthrough when that comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
mMmIeU0.png

Taking recommendations and scolding.

Morkar Left

Deadstate (waiting for the definite patch)
Wasteland 2 (started two times from scratch, now waiting for the definite patch to fully enjoy)
SR:R and SR:D (Returns actually backed and bought again)
GhostControl (not really touched, unfortunately it lacks story impact. Will give it another try with the patch and after watching Ghostbusters again)
Quest for Infamy (not touched, I need to be in a special mood for this)

All backed via kickstarter.

Currently enjoying Fallout New Vegas again (gigantic scope with dlc and mods). Maybe F2 after that or along with it when the urge for iso-perspective kicks in.

Maschtervoz

Learned
Bought:
*Banner Saga, when it was on one of the recent steam sales, didn't have time to play it
*Blackguards, played for about 10 hours, was fun, will pick it up again when I have more free time
*Serpent in the Staglands, not in the beta, but pretty hyped with what I've seen of it so far, can't wait to try it out
*All Shadowruns, Dragonfall was surprisingly fun
*Wasteland 2, got about 30-something hours in, gonna wait for the GOTY and start a new playthrough

Also backed Torment, which is not on the list.

Want:
*Age of Decadence
*Divinity OS
*Lords of Xulima
*Neo Scavenger
*Pillars of Eternity
*Underrail

Might try out Dead State if I can somehow get over my hatred of zombies.

Xorazm

Cipher
Turns out I've bought and played at least a chunk of just about everything on that list that isn't early access.

Banner Saga - I like that they tried to do something new with the combat system, my only real complaint is that the the outcomes of the randomized story encounters are so hard to predict that you don't really feel like you're playing a game so much as spinning a lottery wheel. Some people like the real life immersion that offers, but I dislike feeling as if I'm being presented with a challenge that I don't have a fair opportunity of winning. Quality game on the whole, worth picking up at about 10 bucks or less.

Blackguards - Had its moments, particularly with Chapter 3 being a standout, but holy lord does it overstay its welcome. Others have a higher threshold for tedium than I do, but personally I can't stand when a game feels like it just doesn't respect my time. Maps where every single unit has to paaaaaaainfully drag it's slow ass around make me want to pull my hair out. You can sometimes see a truly great game in there struggling to get out, and when it shines it really shines, but they just didn't polish it enough and it sounds like they blew their chance at an improved sequel.

Dark Souls 2 - Fine enough game in its own right but it lives in the shadow of its superior predecessors. The bright color palette really hurt the best part of the Souls series, which is that encroaching sense of dread. Still, "not quite as good as Dark/Demons Souls" is still a fine game.

Dragon Age Inquisition - The absolute bewilderment I felt at seeing the praise this was getting, after so many sterling reviews led me to buy the game on one of its many discounts, is what led me to the Codex. To this day I struggle to answer one crucial question ....where is the game? If you can just faceroll your way through every counter and make better gear simply by crafting random shit you find ....if there's no challenge whatsoever .....again, where is the game?

Divinity Original Sin - Too flawed to quite reach classic status but happy to see it win the GOTY. I can't tell you how delighted I was once I reached the boss of the first area, just as I was starting to wonder if it was all getting a little too easy, only to see him wipe my party out with one single move. Receives tons of credit if only for being one of the few titles in the Incline to move the genre forward in a meaningful way.

Diablo 3 - Picked it up with the Reaper of Souls expansion. Was never hugely into the Diablos (played the first, skipped the second) so I guess this does the trick. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it's an acceptably shallow way to pass the time. It fills a niche, just not a terribly rich one.

Lords of Xulima - Like Divinity, it starts strong but starts to lose a bit of momentum once your party strength levels off and the game stops upping the novelty and challenge. Still an admirable effort from a small, indie team.

Might and Magic X - My love for this game exceeds all reason and so I do not pretend to objectivity. This was the game that reminded me why, after barely playing any RPGs for years, I loved the genre so much in the first place - in fact, nearly every game on this list I played because Might and Magic X reminded me of how fun they could be. Being balls deep into a game with nearly 20 hours on the clock, having no idea if you're anywhere close to finishing and not caring is an experience that precious few can match. Sure the game is ugly as hell in places, janky even on beastly systems and the voice acting is perfunctory at best, but it's through and through a Might and Magic game and that makes me happier than I can possibly describe.

Shadowrun - Only played the original campaign. Wasn't blown away, the whole experience was kind of perfunctory, but I hear the expansion is miles ahead and so I'm waiting for a nice discount to come along.

Wasteland 2 - Just a couple hours into this one. Nothing really blowing me away and there seems to be a lot of clicking. The part where any RPG takes off is when they just let me go off into the world on my own and WL2 still seems a ways away from this. I heard that a great big'ol patch was in the works, so I'm holding off on this one a while and seeing if any news develops on that front.

A few other capsule reviews....

Paper Sorcerer - Barebones as fuck but it has a certain charm to it. I admire indie games that just pick one thing and do it well and Paper Sorcerer passes that test. No GOTY but it's not trying to be, and what it's trying to be, which is a lightweight Wizardry clone, it succeeds at.

Frayed Knights - Just couldn't do it. Dialog was trying way too hard to be funny and the damn thing just moved too slow. I'm restless, I get frustrated by tedium and slow walking characters absolutely do me in. I may go back to it if I grow desperate but the quirk annoys me, the movement speed annoys me and so the game had better be fucking awesome to make up for it.

Aarklash: Legacy - This must have come out in the wrong year or something because I'm surprised that there's not more fondness on the Codex for it, particularly given the warmth that surrounds Blackguards. It's not as deep as Blackguards by any means but it's still a meaty, challenging tactical RPG. I'm surprised that it didn't get at least a shoutout on the RPG Codex Steam Curator list, especially since Frayed Knights made the cut.

Inquisitor - Again, there might be a game there but it's too goddamn slow and the reviews are so mixed that I'm not inspired to give it any more than I already have.

Valkyira Chronicles - This game might get good eventually but I'm about 90 minutes in and the "game to anime cutscene" ratio is fucking killing me. FFS a woman just delivered a baby during this tank ride and apparently I, the driver, had no idea. Any more cutesy-wootsy and I want to put a gun in my mouth.

Xenonauts - Loved it. Loved it to pieces. It's Xcom with a facelift. How much better could something be?

Gothic 2 - Never played this one back in the day. I can see why it's so beloved and I probably would have loved it more had I played it when it came out, but it's fun to poke around in, even if it's looks positively skeletal by modern standards. Holy hell, did that interface ever take some getting used to.

Unrest - Don't know if I'll press on with this. I don't like the sensation that I'm being tricked, when every conversation seems to be so clearly "gamed" in a way that almost certainly will not matter.

Avernum: Escape From the Pit - Boy, I'm glad I wasn't paying attention back when the Exiles and Genefoges came out because you guys seem to hate poor ol'Jeff Vogel. What a weird discovery that was - you'd think that the one guy out there still churning out ugly-ass old school RPGs all through the dark days of the decline would be heralded as a saint, but nope, because he's not making Geneforge 14 and has the audacity to complain about piracy he's Gaider 2. Avernum EFTP only rises above generic occasionally but you've got your towns, you've got your quests, you've got your overworld exploration, you've got your turn-based tactical combat. If we were up to our eyeballs in games like that sure it'd probably suck by comparison, but the fact of the matter is we're not - hell, how many of the games on this already long list even offer that much?

Looking over this list, all I can say is ....it's been a very cold winter.

Xorazm

Cipher
man, you really need to play underrail

I hear it's amazing and I can't wait for it to get officially released, but I'd rather hold off from Early Access games until they're officially done.

Hell, it's a sad fact that even released games don't get truly "done" until almost a year after they come out.

Luzur

Good Sir
I bought Lords of Xulima and was gifted a free copy of MMX by the devs as i was part of their VIP crew.

And i bought Skyrim too in a 40% off bin in town, but im still unsure if i'll find and buy the DLC's too.

would be mostly for the Collection's sake if i do.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Dead state... Dissapointed

Wasteland 2... Dissapointed

Shadowrun returns...
Dissapointed

Shadowrun Dragonfall... Awesome

Divinity original sin... Dissapointed

Underrail... Awesome

Pillars of Eternity (beta)... Awesome

Age of decadence... Awesome

Overall this rpg resurgence has been hit or miss in terms of enjoyment

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Turns out I've bought and played at least a chunk of just about everything on that list that isn't early access.

Aarklash: Legacy - This must have come out in the wrong year or something because I'm surprised that there's not more fondness on the Codex for it, particularly given the warmth that surrounds Blackguards. It's not as deep as Blackguards by any means but it's still a meaty, challenging tactical RPG. I'm surprised that it didn't get at least a shoutout on the RPG Codex Steam Curator list, especially since Frayed Knights made the cut.

So it's actually good? I stayed away from it because Confrontation, set in the same setting of Aarklash and which seems to play very similarly from what I've seen comparing the two, kinda made me want to kill someone considering the way it ranged from horrible to tolerable at best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom