Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Dragonball Xenoverse coming to PC - RELEASED now

you need to time them better, or hit a paralized enemy, or catch him engaged with an ally, or try to hit him while he's standing up.
i consistently hit enemies with my beams, even if dragon ball is full of dodged death rays of deadly death.
which reminds me something huge missing from the game: opposing beams.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am definitely getting this, when it becomes more affordable. €50 is too much. Anyone interested in a link to my DBZ fan-fiction (in Polish), PM me.

Also, since this is an 'RPG' - can we get Dragon Ball avatars now? :P

Last edited:

Bahamut

Arcane
Torrented it and then bought the whole pack for 50€, will probably entertain me for a while, the story is one big nostalgia trip for me so im enjoying it,
Tha bad thing is...
5DCC4869966116375CF3148AB710DAFD1D6C5A92

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
you need to time them better, or hit a paralized enemy, or catch him engaged with an ally, or try to hit him while he's standing up.
i consistently hit enemies with my beams, even if dragon ball is full of dodged death rays of deadly death.
which reminds me something huge missing from the game: opposing beams.
I watched someone playing and they had a beam clash. It's probably just rare for some reason.

Damned Registrations

Hmmm, I went back and looked for it but couldn't find it. It must have been another game.

Damned Registrations

Yeah, it seems to be a quick, possibly automatic thing now. They do still collide though.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wonder which stat would be best to max out, maybe basic attack, because it seems you do most damge with it anyway.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Definitely one of the best Dragon ball games ever made. It has improvable things, but they made a solid base to make more DB games in the future, something that Namco bandai has not got in the last generation of games based on the franchise.

And Bills, fucking Bills. He have two giant lifebars and is too strong. Fuckin motherfucker.

Amn Nom

Learned
Xenoverse itself was a great romp, pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be. Always wanted a game where I could make a Dragon Ball character with my own storyline. With that said,the sequel really needs to improve RNG. I understand random drops, that is fine and something I can deal with. What I can't deal with is optional objectives triggering randomly. NO, I'M NOT GOING TO RUN SUPER SAIYAN LEGEND 15 TIMES UNTIL VEGETA GOES SUPER SAIYAN. Seriously, who thought that shit was a good idea?

flushfire

Augur
What I can't deal with is optional objectives triggering randomly. NO, I'M NOT GOING TO RUN SUPER SAIYAN LEGEND 15 TIMES UNTIL VEGETA GOES SUPER SAIYAN. Seriously, who thought that shit was a good idea?
Indeed. They could've gone the Armored Core route of really difficult but non-random triggers. One of the reasons I stopped playing but it's still a solid game and would play a sequel. Race/gender/height/build having (some even significant) effects on stats was pretty surprising too, considering it's not really a RPG.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
What I can't deal with is optional objectives triggering randomly. NO, I'M NOT GOING TO RUN SUPER SAIYAN LEGEND 15 TIMES UNTIL VEGETA GOES SUPER SAIYAN. Seriously, who thought that shit was a good idea?

You're referring to the optional objectives in the sidequests, right? I think they're not work randomly. I don't remember the name but there is a mission (Which the Kaioken transform is a drop) where you must defeat a couple of characters in Namek, then Goku appears and when you defeat him he should return in Kaioken form, but usually he doesn't not appear. I found a "pattern" to make the last part of the mission happen and it is defeat all the enemies quickly as posible. I made it a couple and it worked. I read in one review of the game that the game secondary missions have optional objectives that have hidden triggers, the review criticised the fact that the player must discover (Because the game doesn't tell to the player how unlock the optional part of the mission) or look a guide to discover how each optional objective works.

Amn Nom

Learned

You're referring to the optional objectives in the sidequests, right? I think they're not work randomly. I don't remember the name but there is a mission (Which the Kaioken transform is a drop) where you must defeat a couple of characters in Namek, then Goku appears and when you defeat him he should return in Kaioken form, but usually he doesn't not appear. I found a "pattern" to make the last part of the mission happen and it is defeat all the enemies quickly as posible. I made it a couple and it worked. I read in one review of the game that the game secondary missions have optional objectives that have hidden triggers, the review criticised the fact that the player must discover (Because the game doesn't tell to the player how unlock the optional part of the mission) or look a guide to discover how each optional objective works.
I used a guide for the majority of the PQ's because of how cryptic the requirements were. Even when triggering the requirements it took a couple of tries on average for things to happen. So it is random.

it's been years since i had this much genuine fun.
the most important point about this game is that when i lose it's because *i* screwed something. sure, sometimes there are (almost) impossible odds, but mostly 1 vs 1 there's no such thing as an unbeatable opponent. the "utility" skills are few and far between but they have very powerful effects which, when used right, let absorb a lot of previously deadly punishment.
grinding always helps, but that's exactly what dragon ball's characters do: retreat and train. makes sense doing it in the game too; a shame there isn't much variety of useful missions to train with. and the rng sucks.

Amn Nom could you share some of those guides? i'd especially like one on main quest rank requirements, there are some mission i steamroll the opponents and still get c.

Amn Nom

Learned
it's been years since i had this much genuine fun.
the most important point about this game is that when i lose it's because *i* screwed something. sure, sometimes there are (almost) impossible odds, but mostly 1 vs 1 there's no such thing as an unbeatable opponent. the "utility" skills are few and far between but they have very powerful effects which, when used right, let absorb a lot of previously deadly punishment.
grinding always helps, but that's exactly what dragon ball's characters do: retreat and train. makes sense doing it in the game too; a shame there isn't much variety of useful missions to train with. and the rng sucks.

Amn Nom could you share some of those guides? i'd especially like one on main quest rank requirements, there are some mission i steamroll the opponents and still get c.
This is what I used for PQ. Even with that some of the requirements need a bit of messing around to figure things out. Can't help you on the main quest, my guess would be you just need to get more criteria like a high combo count, finishing above 80%, or landing a bunch of ultimates.

not what i needed but thank you anyway.

my guess is that some (or most?) of the main quest missions need to meet story criteria. for example, i just obliterate nappa and all i got is a c, probably i should let him beat some allies first, or wait for some other dialogue or event.
same for ape vegeta, i just beat him straight and no z. i tried to kill him just by grabbing his tail, as suggested, but with the same result. or the final pq frieza mission, when a portal to his ship opens between finishing his goons and him arriving, and i don't get z even if i disintegrate everything without being even touched. there must be something else i'm missing.

finished the main story.

best fighting game since tekken 3, even with its several issues like lack of balance between builds/races, severe difficulty spikes, not enough equipment and subpar interface.

Deakul

Augur
So, uh, should I wait for an inevitable sequel to come to the PC or is this actually worth getting?
I loved DBZ as a kid and always wanted a good representation of the fights on the PC.

Thing is, I'm not super big into straight up fighting games... I don't even have a controller.

How complex is the fighting system in this anyways?

i loathed dbz and totally love this game.
its fights are exactly what dragon ball is, without endless screams and half an hour long inner monologues.

the fighting system by itself is not very complex, supermoves are two buttons away and there's a very limited number of combos which are made with two buttons.
what's difficult is balancing defense and offense, you can't just always attack or guard, sooner or later you're going out of stamina (so unable to defend against anything, not even basic punches) against an opponent which most probably still has lots of resources. then you die.
if you don't want to die you either learn to play and how to effectively attack and defend or play a broken saiyan who can spam unblockable supermoves.

Chamezero

Obviously the developers never tested the parallel quests 32 and 47. I mean, holy fucking shit KAME HAME HA KAME HAME HA KAME HAME HA KAME HAME HA KAME HAME HA

Deakul

Augur
i loathed dbz and totally love this game.
its fights are exactly what dragon ball is, without endless screams and half an hour long inner monologues.

the fighting system by itself is not very complex, supermoves are two buttons away and there's a very limited number of combos which are made with two buttons.
what's difficult is balancing defense and offense, you can't just always attack or guard, sooner or later you're going out of stamina (so unable to defend against anything, not even basic punches) against an opponent which most probably still has lots of resources. then you die.
if you don't want to die you either learn to play and how to effectively attack and defend or play a broken saiyan who can spam unblockable supermoves.

Hm, alright, sounds like it'll play fine with M&KB.

Either getting this or Pillars of Eternity next week, might get both if they happen to be on sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom