Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Explorerbc

Arcane
So far the game is generally ok, standard MMO fetch quests and I still get my ass handed to me if a few mobs gang up on me . That's the second MMO I ever play btw

I did my first Investigative quest though, the one about the murders in Kingsmouth, and it was very cool, I was genuinely excited while solving it.

Come to think about it, it wasn't anything hard, but years of popamole hand holding have made making simple logical steps feel like you are a genius.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So far the game is generally ok, standard MMO fetch quests and I still get my ass handed to me if a few mobs gang up on me . That's the second MMO I ever play btw

I did my first Investigative quest though, the one about the murders in Kingsmouth, and it was very cool, I was genuinely excited while solving it.

Come to think about it, it wasn't anything hard, but years of popamole hand holding have made making simple logical steps feel like you are a genius.
And the investigaton missons will just get better.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

Yeah, once you start thinking - the game becomes easier :)

Matalarata If you've bought a full set of QL4 in Blue Mountain - the only things to buy for Solomon Island sequins are mystery bags and weapon molds :)

I like simple and practical design of Orochi gear:

3fs9ArI.jpg

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I bought a QL6 blade there... Still I have 49 seq (did almost all the mission on the 1st area :oops:) and I want to buy a QL 6 blood focus as soon as I can...

Also I'm an Enlightened one, I won't have any of thet weeabo bullshit :obviously:
:M: Yes I want a Katana... Am I a fag?

Explorerbc dude if you need help just call me, we'll have bozia2012 babysit us trough the travelling system :troll: and I'll gladly help you... Also the only thing left to fo for me on Solomon's Isalnd are dungeonshit and laircrap. I haven't the slightest idea how they work but I understand they are coop content.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
QL6? Niiice :)

What weeaboo bullshit you're talking about? Orochi is the omnicorp, you'll run into them sooner or later :)

We can easily 2-3man the first 2 dungeons, for the rest we'll need a bigger party. Dungeons have lore and are very cinematic - definitely a must!

Lairs are more for completionists - it's just monster hunting.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I was speaking about that blade you posted, it looks like something out of an anime, wich I actually like, but I still prefer more "mundane" blades...
I know what Orochi is, or at least I ran into them already. Probably I still have to uncover a lot of dirt but I already had to look for them on the net, clever how it's used in some investigation mission...

The one with the antenna, where you have to check for components on-line and the one where to get a laptop password you search for the name of a MiB agent

Also you meet a small detachment of Orochi in Solomon's Island

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I was speaking about that blade you posted, it looks like something out of an anime, wich I actually like, but I still prefer more "mundane" blades...
I know what Orochi is, or at least I ran into them already. Probably I still have to uncover a lot of dirt but I already had to look for them on the net, clever how it's used in some investigation mission...

The one with the antenna, where you have to check for components on-line and the one where to get a laptop password you search for the name of a MiB agent

Also you meet a small detachment of Orochi in Solomon's Island
At first I also wanted to run with a "mundane" blade, but they look too mundane in TSW - so I chose a "reasonably exceptional" approach :)

Also: a company based in Japan making katana-looking swords? Preposterous! :)

Xenich

Cipher

This is the bread and butter of TSW. All the other quests are pretty bland for the most part (outside of the story progression ones). It has been a while since I have played the game, but unless they have dumbed down some of the investigation quests, they should get much harder.

The combat is crap and the character development is shallow (when start to understand it). Eventually you will find a few niche builds and taking on multiple mobs as well as the higher difficulty ones will become much easier (soloing group mobs). TSW in my opinion is really only worth playing for its puzzle missions and story as everything else turns into typical modern MMO play.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Explorerbc dude if you need help just call me, we'll have bozia2012 babysit us trough the travelling system and I'll gladly help you... Also the only thing left to fo for me on Solomon's Isalnd are dungeonshit and laircrap. I haven't the slightest idea how they work but I understand they are coop content.

We can easily 2-3man the first 2 dungeons, for the rest we'll need a bigger party. Dungeons have lore and are very cinematic - definitely a must!

Sure, I'm in for the dungeons :D. I am still getting raped by some special zombies though so I guess I'll have to level up/ stop being a noob before we can try it (unless you guys are OP).

Added you both.

Gord

Arcane
I was a bit disappointed when I found out that many skills (esp. the builders) are actually very similar and only differ in small details.
As far as I can tell (and I'm pretty much a noob in that regard), it's all about finding synergies between the different skills in order to set up your build towards a certain effect (e.g. have one attack that causes "Afflicted" and another one that then causes additional damage or another effect on afflicted targets).
I would have preferred a more classical approach where you unlock more truly unique skills along the way, but well, at least the game has other stuff to offer.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I was a bit disappointed when I found out that many skills (esp. the builders) are actually very similar and only differ in small details.
As far as I can tell (and I'm pretty much a noob in that regard), it's all about finding synergies between the different skills in order to set up your build towards a certain effect (e.g. have one attack that causes "Afflicted" and another one that then causes additional damage or another effect on afflicted targets).
I would have preferred a more classical approach where you unlock more truly unique skills along the way, but well, at least the game has other stuff to offer.
You're right and wrong at tbe same time /wisemastermusashi

Explorerbc Matalarata You see me on Steam, you write to me. I'm Labyrinthine in-game and I'm pretty OP ...for the first dungeon ;)

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
...back from work, spent 50 minutes looking for the british museum of occult, while doubting my understanding of the hints...

"AD AUGUSTA PER ANGUSTA"

That was great, really!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...back from work, spent 50 minutes looking for the british museum of occult, while doubting my understanding of the hints...

"AD AUGUSTA PER ANGUSTA"

That was great, really!
Eh? There was a way to figure that out other than randomly wandering around the zone? :oops:

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Don't worry bro... I wandered too, I got the hint (I think I got it...) after completing the quest even if I had translated it before.
Think about the literal meaning of the phrase and the geography of the location where you find the museum, "From a narrow passage (street) to Greatness (or larger, bigger)"

Edit: still the quest was very good... I loved the little sumthingsumthing at the end, you tried searching for the name scribbled on the message?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I'm always open for some wise words, bozia2012-sensei.
No wise words from me about builds - I only figured out it's not that easy :)

Sure, most skills are just a mix of the same parameters, but they have different values and switching one of them causes a chain reaction. I've tried direct translation of pistol/shotgun builds into rifle/ele/blood (to get more range) and it simply doesn't work.

Making a synergy is not a problem - making one that works vs certain mobs, with your gear and role - that is hard. My only success in this field is defeating Gatekeeper with my own build, but most of the time I run with builds made by other people and only adopted to my style/gear.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
So, atm I rised all my skills: 3 talismans and the offensive skills of both my weapons to 6. I don't really understand what healing for blood and survival for blade does, apart from the small bonus you get from the skill itself...

Considering the build I've chosen (this) doen't rely on active skills to heal, just passives + (maybe) martial discipline... Should I even rise those two stats untill much later in the game?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
So, atm I rised all my skills: 3 talismans and the offensive skills of both my weapons to 6. I don't really understand what healing for blood and survival for blade does, apart from the small bonus you get from the skill itself...
They give you a bonus, but when you're still levelling, increasing both will supress other ways to improve your character (talismans and alternative weapons).

Considering the build I've chosen (this) doen't rely on active skills to heal, just passives + (maybe) martial discipline... Should I even rise those two stats untill much later in the game?
I'm also running only passive heals for soloing, all actives go to dealing damage and impairing.

I think you should stop levelling your main weapons for now (at 6 you're safe until Egypt) and get talisman skills up to par (and get better talis for sequins!).

Leave the second lines for your main weapons when: 1) the first ones are at 10 2) your talisman skills are at 10 3) you have 1-2 other weapons at 10

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
This game gives me a hardon.

EDIT: we did Polaris and Hell Raised with Explorerbc yesterday. Quite fun to 2-man dungeons on solo builds.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think I've just found the No1 mod, which made the game 200% more enjoyable for me. It is called TSW Keyboard tool. My biggest problem with the controls of the game was that you have to smash the skill buttons when you use a builder skill (basicly all the time). Plus you have to hold the right mouse button to control the camera, meanwhile pushing WASD to move during combat. This put a huge strain on my hand. The mod I mentioned does 3 thing: the skills continously activate if you hold down the button, you can easily set skills on mouse thumb buttons and the third: by pushing Ctrl+right click, you active TPS camera movement, so you can move the camera just by moving the mouse without keeping the right mouse button pressed. It is much more natural to play the game this way, after you get used to it. And if you need the mouse pointer (during AoE targeting or just interacting with the enviroment) you just right click and the TPS camera switches off.

The mod:
http://www.secretui.com/downloads/info46-TSW_KeyboardTools.html

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Quite fun to 2-man dungeons on solo builds.

Hope you had fun with me too :D
You know a bro is a bro when it takes his time to teach shtoopid newbz like me.

:brodex:

Also I earned enough AP to reach Gross Anatomy, wich is huge for my build! Now I'll branch into fist to get Bloodsport.

This game is addictive...

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I think I've just found the No1 mod, which made the game 200% more enjoyable for me. It is called TSW Keyboard tool. My biggest problem with the controls of the game was that you have to smash the skill buttons when you use a builder skill (basicly all the time). Plus you have to hold the right mouse button to control the camera, meanwhile pushing WASD to move during combat. This put a huge strain on my hand. The mod I mentioned does 3 thing: the skills continously activate if you hold down the button, you can easily set skills on mouse thumb buttons and the third: by pushing Ctrl+right click, you active TPS camera movement, so you can move the camera just by moving the mouse without keeping the right mouse button pressed. It is much more natural to play the game this way, after you get used to it. And if you need the mouse pointer (during AoE targeting or just interacting with the enviroment) you just right click and the TPS camera switches off.

The mod:
http://www.secretui.com/downloads/info46-TSW_KeyboardTools.html
Hmm... interesting find. How's the TPS camera mode different than the targetting mode which is already in the game?

Hope you had fun with me too :D
You know a bro is a bro when it takes his time to teach shtoopid newbz like me.

:brodex:

Also I earned enough AP to reach Gross Anatomy, wich is huge for my build! Now I'll branch into fist to get Bloodsport.

This game is addictive...
Yeah, you go girl! :)

I thought it was too easy to be fun - only the last 2 fights in Hell Raised put some strain on us. We'll definitely won't 2-3man Wayeb Xul, The Hound of Nameless Days in The Darkness War :) (I'm still eager to try it)

Nael

Arcane
I haven't played this game for a little bit. You guys gonna be on at all this weekend? We should run some scenarios or something. My character is pretty badass. My main is "Haiya." Add me to friends and I'll try and get on sometime tomorrow or Sunday.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
I should be online today and tomorrow - we can do some shit.

I'm now mostly doing Kaidan - since they dropped the memory modules price, levelling AEGIS is much faster. But I've neglected scenarios, have like basic stuff only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom