Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Making a Final Fantasy style Flash game, want opinions.

J1M

Arcane
Hello new here ^_^.
Trying to decide on some things for a game I am making, and to talk about RPG theory in general.

* Many RPG's have "Crits" where you usually have min damage, max damage, and some % chance to deal critical damage.
Is this important? Would you think more, or less of a game if it had crits? What is the real purpose of crits, and why do so many games use this system? Are crits a gimmick?

* I also notice a lot of RPG's these days have a great amount of story before you actually get to go out and do stuff, this is a bit annoying to me personally, but maybe most RPG gamers prefer this? I like a quick intro to tell me where I am, what I am doing, why I care, a little bit of dialog, then do some stuff, and then a little more dialog. etc. etc.
How do most RPG gamers prefer this pacing to be? What % do you want these to be? 20% story 80% action? 50% story, 50 % action?

* For a Final Fantasy style game do you prefer old school turn based combat where you select all actions for your characters, and then initiate the combat (Final Fantasy 1 style)
OR
Do you want an active ''action'' bar where stamina refills, and when it gets to the top you can select an action for that character, and he attacks as soon as you select target ( Final Fantasy 7 style)

* in a Final Fantasy style game are new battle mechanics welcome? For example AOE spells ( as apposed to single or all target) or your character does not jump back to his starting position but stays close to the enemy after he runs up to attack. Or do you prefer a might and magic style battlefield?

I guess that is all for now, will think of more questions later :).
Crits create damage variance, but there is also a trend towards them activating other abilities. I like crits and I like abilities that proc, but I prefer to see them separate from each other.

There was so much weeaboo story at the start of Golden Sun 2 that I stopped playing it. You'd be better off starting the game with the character in an easy-to-understand situation that they need to get out of. For example, trapped in a cave.

People around these parts will be open to variations on combat mechanics. The ones that will be viewed as good are those that introduce interesting gameplay. One of the Penny Arcade games, Rainslick 3, has an interesting take on mana. At a basic level it is about deciding to do an ok ability on turn 1 or an ability that is twice as good on turn 2. A variety of gear, ability choices, and enemy mechanics introduce additional layers of complexity.

On the other hand, if you create a game that looks real-time so you can hide the fact that it is too easy by distracting the player with button mashing (Dragon Age 2) it won't sit well.

rpgcurious

Literate
My game is not a Japanese style RPG, it does not have these clichés you are referring to, stop pretending to know everything.
A final fantasy STYLE game does not mean a final fantasy CLONE.

zwanzig_zwoelf

My game is not a Japanese style RPG, it does not have these clichés you are referring to, stop pretending to know everything.
Show me 5 genuine screenshots of your game and I'll name 5 genuine reasons for you to cease development and commit suicide.

Oops, I don't even need screenshots! Here we go now:
1. Flash game.
2. Awful source of inspiration.
3. Developer is an idiot.
4. Developer has no idea what RPG is.
5. No original ideas.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer

How in the world can a "Final Fantasy style" game not also be a "Japanese style RPG?" Those two things go together.

Explain that to me, for I am confused.

zwanzig_zwoelf

How in the world can a "Final Fantasy style" game not also be a "Japanese style RPG?" Those two things go together.

Explain that to me, for I am confused.
The only "non-Japanese-style" Final Fantasy was Mystic Quest (in terms that it was designed for dum Americans).
Which also was one of the worst FF games with really badass soundtrack.

That leads us to the point where developer makes a JRPG game that sucks balls from the very start. Hey, at least he knows it and he's honest with us, so... no reason to buy his game.

crufty

Arcane
Many RPG's have "Crits" where

Rolemaster+2e+Crits.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom