Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition announced...for Xbox One?!

Robert Jarzebina

I am worried. The mere thought of consolization of next titles scares me deeply :(

But maybe I am overreacting? There are 2 possibilities:
1) PC version sells better than Xbox one- nothing will change, just some more profits will go towards future games
2) Xbox version sells better than the PC one- it may mean there is a need for PC centric titles among consoltards, so nothing changes?
Either they will fail, or show this style of gameplay may be successful on xbox.

2ik8o07.jpg

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
It makes me nervous for Wasteland 3...
You should be nervous for Torment...

Indeed.
4Sutms2.png

Ohh Fuck....sigh... they are going full McIntosh...
Yep, for quite a long time now.
sdrs7j0.png
Et tu, Colin? :(

Fuck me... these people... again: "The problem is, I though that people behind inXile, especially those behind Design, can see Con Artists, Professional Victims and Sociopaths on first glance/evidence." and now Colin. Come on. I thought you're smarter than that... you made the Complete Book of Elves! It saddens me.

LarsWestergren

Educated
Pfft. You gators are hilarious. Anita is in the process of making the series she promised, plus she has managed to hold presentations etc, despite constant death threats and other harassment.

In the meantime, what happened to the "Sarkeesian Effect" that two prominent Gamer Gaters have been collecting tens of thousands of dollars on Patreon for? The one that would expose her as a scammer? Oohhh...awkward.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
It makes sense: Torment takes place in the far-away feature where gender is an archaic concept. :troll:

Darkzone

Arcane
Suddenly i have lost my urge to donate towards The Bard's Tale 4 . I simply cannot support the SJW PC cultural marxism sickness.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
We joke, but seriously there is actually a tinsy bit of worry associated with this. Mainly that they now will begin to design controls and gameplay with an eventual console release in mind.

And thats where decline for pc releases begins.

EXACTLY. When you design your entire game around a controller pad and have to cut designs from your game specifically because of that, that's when it all goes to shit.

Though to be honest, I don't think that was the case with Wasteland 2.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
It's really hard to imagine playing a game like W2 comfortably on the console.

You don't even need imagination.

When I've played Wasteland 2 I've had a feeling from time to time that it would work more or less good with gamepad.

Btw. they're probably porting it for Microsoft money, which was predictable - at this point, Microsoft doesn't have big enough library to compete with PS4 so they're looking for niche indies with decent production values(don't necessarily read it as "good games" but as "not indie pixelart platformers").
I still wonder why are they doing it instead of dumping xbone and sell "Windows-Boxes" but who I am to know if it's better idea.

Zeronet

Learned
They should consider completing some of the content for the game too, turning the ranger radio shack in to a ranger base, some missions associated with getting it up and running and some radio signals about new recruits going out to help people in LA. All the stuff i actually expected to do.

mondblut

Arcane
Bard's Tale IV will be turn based Skyrim, mark my words.

That would be pretty awesome actually. TES open world with an oldschool blobber stapled on a top of it is where RPGs should have been heading after Wizardry 7 and World of Xeen, not that isometric click-the-hyperlinks bullshit we've got instead :obviously:

Any idea on when the fix for the story is coming? I suppose cat litter was some kind of placeholder item that was accidentally left in the game.

Seriously though, some of the locations are nice, but overall the story lacks all coherence. Which could be forgiven, if the character system and combat was properly designed... which they are not. Even WL1 was much better designed in this aspect.

LarsWestergren

Educated
Any chance it'll come out for PS4?

A year ago I would have said no, but indies deserted Microsoft in drowes due to all the exclusivity restrictions, so they seem a lot more humble now. Doubtful this is an important enough title to pay for anything more than a timed exclusive, but only MS and inXile knows what the contract says. If it sells well on xbox, maybe inXile or Sony will invest in a port.

Xenich

Cipher
We joke, but seriously there is actually a tinsy bit of worry associated with this. Mainly that they now will begin to design controls and gameplay with an eventual console release in mind.

Wasn't the first iteration of their GUI for Wasteland 2 tab/list based? Seems to me that they were thinking console from day 1. Nothing good will come of this imo.

Morkar Left

W2 for consoles? I'm curious how the interface and controls will be.

For the extra content; yeah!

But it means I will further delay my "ongoing" playthrough.

Xenich

Cipher

EXACTLY. When you design your entire game around a controller pad and have to cut designs from your game specifically because of that, that's when it all goes to shit.

Though to be honest, I don't think that was the case with Wasteland 2.

It creeps in, it did before, it will again. Fast forward 5 years from now and we will have the same garbage games being developed with console limitations while PC tech is light years beyond it. Hey, if I am wrong, it is a win/win, but I don't think I will be wrong. May be time for me to find another hobby. /shrug

Kem0sabe

Arcane
First thing... Goty where?

Second... That trailer looks like it was done by a high school multimedia class, the music, not showing the actual new features, the silly text and bullet points.

Third... I wonder who managed to convince them there was a a market for wl2 on console. A convoluted design, slow paced crpg that forces the player to slog through 50% of the content before they are able to get to the good parts, according to inxile own words that is.

Xenich

Cipher
First thing... Goty where?

Second... That trailer looks like it was done by a high school multimedia class, the music, not showing the actual new features, the silly text and bullet points.

Third... I wonder who managed to convince them there was a a market for wl2 on console. A convoluted design, slow paced crpg that forces the player to slog through 50% of the content before they are able to get to the good parts, according to inxile own words that is.

Well, they can put in lots of explosions along the way, turn all the dialog into voiced cut scenes and put in some gay romance, I am sure it will do just fine with the console crowd.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It creeps in, it did before, it will again. Fast forward 5 years from now and we will have the same garbage games being developed with console limitations while PC tech is light years beyond it. Hey, if I am wrong, it is a win/win, but I don't think I will be wrong. May be time for me to find another hobby. /shrug

When it happened before, Morrowind and KOTOR were surprise hits, selling more than most people thought a Western RPG would sell on console. They were game-changers. I doubt that's going to happen in this case. I don't think Take Two made very much money from the XCOM: EU console ports either, and that was with a much beefier marketing machine.

I already told you, that's the game's original release trailer. See, they aren't wasting lots of money on the console version. :M

GloomFrost

Arcane
Looks like Fargo is really confident about success of Wasteland on consoles. Does anyone know if there are any plans to port the Underrail or AOD??

Kem0sabe

Arcane
When it happened before, Morrowind and KOTOR were surprise hits, selling more than most people thought a Western RPG would sell on console. They were game-changers. I doubt that's going to happen in this case. I don't think Take Two made very much money from the XCOM: EU console ports either, and that was with a much beefier marketing machine.

I already told you, that's the game's original release trailer. See, they aren't wasting lots of money on the console version. :M
This entire reveal was inept, the badly edited original trailer released on YouTube for no one to see, the lack of press release, the lack of a proper presentation on the new features and how the game will translate to console.

Gamers pick up on this 'fuck, let's do a console cash grab with little effort', will be interesting to see how they react.

You said it yourself, inxile isn't spending too much on this, when a console version would inherently need a massive rework of the Ui, the control scheme, the skill check system the keyword system, and the reduction in the silly amount small text.

It's a massive undertaking that I'd done poorly will translate badly for the company image, why do it at all if you are not invested on it?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pardon me if I'm not feeling too badly about the prospect of console gamers getting bad PC ports for once.

I hope somebody on the Codex buys it and gives it a try, though. It'll be interesting to learn how it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom