Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play as a Raping Pillaging Pirate!

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Welcome to my amazing drunken lets play of a game about pirates, sharks, walking the plank, a kraken and so forth.
HCma98i.jpg

It is a rather old adventure game (1998) first person with the occasional 3rd person cut-scene. Puzzles, pixel hunting, exploration and an assortment of combat/mundane mini games (mostly lots of slashing people with a sword). It has a pretty damn good conversation system with rather expressive npc face and hand gestures AND a fully voiced (really really well done) dialog lock out system, as in if you ask one question you may not be able to ask another question, obviously just fluff but nice nonetheless. Spread over 3 discs a lengthy adventure of "privateering" awaits.

It's been about 15 years since I played this shit, somehow my cd's have survived! It was in fact the first non arcade vydya game I ever played, as such I remember it fondly. So without further ado let's play Redjack: Revenge of the Brethren! Note stuff in italics will be an explanation of game mechanics.

Intro and Episode 1: Pirates! Pirates everywhere.
Episode 2: Bottles to the face hurt.
Episode 3: Game of Pirate Thrones.
Episode 4: Allahu Akbar!!!
Episode 5: Cannibalism and Prison Break.
Episode 6: Lost
Episode 7: D&D
Episode 8: RedJack!
Episode 9: Bartender Edition.
Episode 10: Who is the traitor FFS.
Episode 11: Sewers and sex fiends.
Episode 12: Hand collection and megalomania.
-------------

We get treated to rather crappy and overly dramatic opening sequence, which I'll mostly paraphrase.

Seventeen years ago the greatest pirate king that ever lived was betrayed and died. In his last moments he vowed with dramatic fervor that he was going to get horrible bloody revenge on whomever had betrayed him! As he finished yelling his ship blows to pieces under cannon fire.
rpROVhh.jpg

As he took his last breath we took our first. A boy named Nicholas Dove living on a tiny island called lizard point. The video ends with us sitting on a rock, at night, gazing at the sea. A little ways of from the village and our house.
IRQlX0F.jpg

-------------

Taking a look around I see the rock I was sitting on and HOLLY SHIT behind the rock it looks like there is some huge fucking storm from hell!!
qbdfTDG.jpg

Aside from that the game looks nice in all its 640-480 resolution glory. The movement in this game is not free roam but rather like a blobber dungeon crawl, left, right, forward and back on a predetermined map. You are free to look around with the mouse.Think Myst. Anyway, we turn around, head out towards some lights in the distance, as we do so, there is a brief cut-scene of an unfriendly shadowy figure lurking in the bushes behind us.
n8VBscw.jpg

Quick side note, this game brutally kills you and sends you to the main menu (no quick save here bro's) if you don't pay attention. An example... if you ignore the fact that there is a dangerous looking mother fucker stalking you, turn around and walk back, you die.
J594Ex5.jpg

XQExCsx.jpg

5AEMIad.jpg

Yeah this is one of those =DD.
-------------

I continue walking to the lights and spot my old family house..
i8Ib9xx.jpg

Might as well head inside, kick my shoes off, relax and....immediately my asshole brother jumps on me.
h3we7YK.jpg

7cHKZ1N.png
: What are you doing here? I figured you'd be out way past midnight.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: This is my house too!
21pl2x0.png
: Yeah and I'm your brother, I don't like being responsible for you. You wander around while I do all the work.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I work sometimes.
21pl2x0.png
: Ooooh, I forgot, there was that one day last year that you worked. When are you going to learn some responsibility? It would be nice if you helped out more often! Anyway there's a pirate ship at the dock's right now.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What!?
7cHKZ1N.png
: Their captain is in the bar. Maybe he would give you a job.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: er...right... (just the career I always wanted...)

I take a look around the gloomy house, made all the gloomier by our brother who clearly wants me to die, preferably somewhere far far away so he doesn't have to deal with it.
zQ2vPrf.jpg

Guess I'll head of to town. Outside the feeling of being watched returns. I briskly make my way into town, pausing to watch a huge man pounding away (hue hue) at some metal.
gDP6CGT.jpg

x8FpyM5.png
: Good evening to you
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Are you new in town, haven't seen you before?
AcBDkvw.png
: Yes, I am. Came to start my own forge *flourishes his hammer*. What about you, you got a career?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm a bum.
x8FpyM5.png
: Well, I suggest you get a career of some kind. I highly recommend blacksmithing. Nothing the girls like more than big, sweaty men. Between you and me, I've got my eye on Elizabeth. But I must say, she seems to have her eyes on you. You're a lucky man. Have you talked to her lately?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Nope
O3Q3EvY.png
: Well go talk to her, she won't be hard to find.

Things are looking up, guess I should head of to find Elizabeth. Which as the blacksmith pointed out, isn't very difficult since she ambushes me just as I walk around the smithy.
E0pbrpa.jpg

HYtLaaT.png
: Hello Nick, I was certainly hoping to run into you this evening.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What are you doing out so late at night?
HYtLaaT.png
: Thinking, wondering what I'm goin to do. It's not as though it's dangerous out here. Unfortunatley, I know all of the pirates, if you can believe that. All those men and I can't even find someone to tell my troubles.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: *sigh* Is that a hint?
HYtLaaT.png
: Yes. I need your help Nick.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: FML
cjLfBHi.png
: I've just got news that my father has died.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm sorry to hear that...
cjLfBHi.png
: Don't be, he was as mean as two snakes and it finally caught up with him. But he's left me in quite a dreadful situation. My father's bussiness dealings were held together with promises he never intended to keep. Now that he's dead, everyone knows they aren't getting what he promised. They all want their money's worth... from me.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Shiiiiiiaaaaaat.
Bc6gb6A.png
: Your farm is the most valuable property my family owns.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Wait a minute.
HYtLaaT.png
: I don't have a choice Nick. Unless you can help me.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What can I do to help?!
cjLfBHi.png
: Have you ever thought about leaving, to make your fortune? What do you think about becoming a pirate!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (What is it with this place and pirates?!)
cjLfBHi.png
: There's a ship here right now, a pirate ship and I know the captain, sort of. He recently lost some men in... um... an accident. In one good season of pirating, you could make more money than either of us need! What do you say Nick?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: How exactly do you know a pirate captain?
HYtLaaT.png
: Well, he's been buying supplies from my family for several years. A lot of people won't do business with pirates for "moral reasons". But as my father always said, there's very little profit in principles. I want a man who's rich, handsome and fascinating and you've already got two of the three qualities. The rich part is easy. Just join this crew and you'll be wealthy in no time!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm not sure that's how it...
Bc6gb6A.png
: The pirate captain is in the bar right now! Go talk to him. Oh and by the way, I promised I wouldn't tell but the bartender just bought twelve bottles of rat poison from me. I think he doesn't like pirates, so maybe don't drink or eat anything while you're in there.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Right...(WTF this chick is a fucking double dealing insane whore!)

Fucks sake I like my house. I can see the tavern glowing in the night behind her. Shit, still feel like someone is stalking me. Well at least in the tavern I will be surrounded by friendly murdering pirates, surely safer than being out here.Ah the good old Bull and Crown.
79gLxob.jpg

We try to open the door but it's locked, so we knock. The "Bull" (don't ask) opens a hatch and glares outside at us.
t6O4Ru8.jpg

K0UdYUr.png
: As I live and breathe, Nickolas Dove. Out and about after dark, hah I'm surprised that brother of yours let you go wandering around. What can I do for you eh?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I want to go inside.
K0UdYUr.png
: *raises eyebrows* You must be looking to live on the wild side. Well come on in, there's someone I want you to meet.
He opens the door and beckens me in. After firmly closing the door after us he saunters over behind the bar. I look around, there's only one other person inside.
sS2wzqs.jpg

mZCQbzC.jpg
: Where's the action, I kind of expected more.... people tonight.
UtWP99n.png
: ....
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Well thanks for letting me in anyway.
UtWP99n.png
: Don't thank me so soon.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: You seen anything strange tonight?
UtWP99n.png
: Hmm well, there was a man out back earlier, trying to steal some... food from me. Hit me up for a beer too, then charged at me like a wild animal when I said no. I shot at him and he ran away into the woods. Other than that and our... guests... it's been quite. I was actually just speaking to Captain Justice here. He's a famous sea captain. I'll introduce you if you like.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Sure.
eD2i2po.png
: Nick Dove, meet Lanton Justice.
The other man in the bar, with gigantic sideburns looks up at me from his map.
5NYU9Sc.jpg

eMuO8jb.png
: You're a local, maybe you can help me. One of my men seems to have gone missing.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (I glance at Bull, he stares back silent)
eMuO8jb.png
: His name is Lyle and he's not the type to jump ship. You seen him boy?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What's he look like?
opcvy6V.png
: Like a big stupid oaf but hes strongest man I ever met.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: No
opcvy6V.png
: Well, if you see him, tell him that if he doesn't come find me soon I'm going find him and hang the idiot.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Right.
eMuO8jb.png
: Now tell me, whats your profession?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm uh currently unemployed sir.
eMuO8jb.png
: Hurr, I might be able to offer you a job that would get you off this stinking island. *He smiles* Privateering. I'm short handed because some of my men were misplaced.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I guess I'll hav....
8FRrv9t.png
: Now look, I don't hire men with no experience. Can't afford those kinds of mistakes in this bussiness. However there is young lady in town who highly recommended you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Fuck)
8FRrv9t.png
: I need men who can fight! We capture French ships, put them out of commision and keep watever we find. All part of our "patriotic" duty. I need men who can handle themselves. What can you do that's useful?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I... well... I
opcvy6V.png
: At the very least you would need a sword and know how to use it! You also need to be tougher than a shark! I saw one of those on my trip into harbor, probably still out there. So... get a sword, learn how to use it and bring me proof that you have killed a shark. You have until sunrise boy!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Seriously. That's a hell of a quest.
opcvy6V.png
: There's a storm coming, the likes of which this little island hasn't seen in fifty years. We need to leave as soon as possible. Now leave me alone, I'm busy.

Well, that went well. Guess I have to go back outside. Stepping out of the tavern, looking around, I decide I might as well check round the back, see if I can find anything interesting. Tada I find an unlocked door, leading to some storage, with a nice bottle rat poison!
r2suNQT.jpg

QRxWGwU.jpg

Might come in handy, gotta remember to warn the captain some time too, then again maybe Bull does just have a tonne of rats running around. We head of back to the town square to see the new blacksmith (convenient).

AcBDkvw.png
: What's on your mind?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Can you make me a sword?
AcBDkvw.png
: It'll take me at least seven days and you gotta pay.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I need one now.
O3Q3EvY.png
: Sorry, I got a whole bunch of orders already, you going to have to find yourself a sword somewhere else.

Balls. Time to go explore. Asking around town, most people comment on strange lights at the old lighthouse and the pirates hanging around the dock. Might as well head out over there, I'm not keen on wandering into the forest without a weapon. I notice a crazy looking fellow cutting up some fish.
Oaea0Tw.jpg

fQpZAUn.png
: Hello.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: You're out kind of late to be selling fish aren't you?
fQpZAUn.png
: Never mind that. Do you like fish?
mZCQbzC.jpg
:...What? I, I guess it depends.
fQpZAUn.png
: I love fish, I chop of their heads.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: That's great.....
0r51L9B.png
: Didn't anyone warn you about me? *he lowers his voice* they say I'm crazy.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Oh.
fQpZAUn.png
: But the truth is I just chop up fish. *raises cleaver and proceeds to... chop up fish*
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Do you have a sword?
0r51L9B.png
: No, I'm a pacifist. You should talk to the blacksmith about that.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: *sigh* .... Hey wait, you know anything about sharks?
fQpZAUn.png
: I hate sharks. Always eating the best fish *uses cleaver furiously*.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: You know how I could kill a shark?
fQpZAUn.png
: Yes! Fish heads and innards are the best things to attract a shark and you can't kill it until you get close. If you want I can give you some of my leftovers? *hands over a bucket of fish heads*
mZCQbzC.jpg
: It stinks, fuck my life.
0r51L9B.png
: Good luck.

Taking the bucket of fish heads I decide to walk further down the harbor and end up walking right up to two gentlemen loading up crates into a small boat.
o5d2DPS.jpg

One of them turns around unnaturally fast as I approach.
SZx4OHK.jpg

OYQOw8r.png
: Come here you scummy little rat thief, I want to ask you a question. You seen anyone in those woods up there? Hehe like maybe some rich people walking home from work with large bags of gold, maybe?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Who are you?
5QBgg3Y.png
: It's been almost two weeks since I robbed somebody! I must steal and quickly. What have you got in your pockets you little shit?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Rat poison.
OYQOw8r.png
: Bah, I've already got plenty of poison. Maybe I'll just beat you unconscious and check your pockets for myself.
WBbbDCz.png
: Leave the boy be Bone, he's done you no harm. Justice will have your hide if he catches you stealing from this port.
WmgbRji.png
: Mr law and order saves the day. Fine. Say, you haven't seen any other pirates around here, have you?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I met Justice.
WmgbRji.png
: The captain? Why would he waste time on some rat like you? Nevermind, who's that fine dish in the tight dress? You know her? *points at Elizabeth*
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I know her.
Ek8UAES.png
: Yeah? Do you know her in the "biblical" sense? No of course not, a woman like that.... not bloody likely. Heh, I could show her a few tricks. I think I'll go introduce myself. So long rat. *walks away*
WBbbDCz.png
: Watch out for that one boy.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I might be joining you.
2FiUFCW.png
: Then I am happy to make your acquaintance, unless you become my enemy, in which case I will flay you and wear your skin as a hide.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: .....

Educational. I look around. Not much to see except the ship floating out in the harbor, some crates with some bottles in them and the old lighthouse on the hill. Usually it's locked but maybe those strange lights people mentioned prove to be interesting. Traveling uphill to the lighthouse, I notice that whomever has been shadowing us seems to back off.
2QKeikw.jpg

The lighthouse door opens easily.Inside the stairs are broken but it looks like there might be some sort of hatch under all the rotten rubble. Spending some time clearing up the wreckage, a well maintained trap door is revealed. Opening it up I descend into the darkness.

That concludes the first episode I think.

Next time there will be combat, more crazy people obsessed with pirates, beer, cannons and maybe even mopping the decks yarrrr. By the way if anyone wants later episodes to have more environment screenshots or more descriptive text or whatever, just ask.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Ah, a game from the studio that made the Titanic adventure game which sold bucket loads. This game bombed really hard.

Dreaad

Arcane
Ah, a game from the studio that made the Titanic adventure game which sold bucket loads. This game bombed really hard.
It did indeed. People just weren't ready a Telltale-ish game back in 1998. Well, I say Telltale-ish but really, it's a lot better than those. The conversation system is really really similar though, npc's remember how you treat them and so forth. Except that there is no "THIS NPC WILL REMEMBER." messages, because back then that wasn't something you bragged about. There's also actual gameplay rather than just qte's. But anyway, on to Episode 2.

Dreaad

Arcane
Welcome back. Now, where were we...
wLWP1vO.jpg

Climbing down the hatch I found in the strangely unlocked lighthouse.

The ladder seemed sturdy enough, it went quite a ways down. At the bottom it was pretty damn dark, some kind of underground cove, right under the freaking lighthouse. The water making rather loud crashing noises as it smashed against some rocks near the entrance to the cave.
35Dwrm5.jpg

Peering around I stumble to some sort of fine looking chest.
09FZYne.jpg

Wow, beginner's luck I guess. I am totally in control of my own destiny. I look around again to make sure I'm not stealing someone's laundry or something. Nope no one. I kneel down on one knee to open it up, lets take a look inside then.
qyYuKuZ.jpg

Nice. A saber, a fancy pistol and what the hell is this note?
FvcRbwa.jpg

Hmm then this must be where the infamous pirate king made his start or something. Quite the character at eleven years old. I look at the note again... Jack Redding huh. Seems he was gay too, maybe that's a professional hazard? Well, I hope history doesn't repeat itself. I close the chest and HOLLY SHIT!!
PvLDCbL.jpg

A smiling old man is sitting on the rock right fucking there, staring at me!
ZaT0Y5w.png
: *cough cough* It's been many a dark day since a man like you stood in this place. *cough* If I'd had to wait any longer, I swear you'da found a pile o bones down here.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Who are you?
ZaT0Y5w.png
: *he smiles at me* They call me Patch, on account of this patch. You picked up on that didn't you, son?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: You're also missing half your leg. I'm not stupid.
bihfbMv.png
: The famous last words of many a stupid man hehe. Now listen to me! I know you're young and your mind jumps around like spit on a fire but try to stay with me. You've heard of RedJack right?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Some pirate king?
QA1pkme.png
: Hah, your ma probably told you that story in your cradle, seeing as how he was born and raised right here in Lizard Point. The greatest pirate who ever lived. RedJack formed the Brethren of the Coast. He sailed wherever he wanted, no one could stand against him.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: That sounds about right.
QA1pkme.png
: Well, there's more to story than that boy. RedJack was smart you see, not just ruthless. *cough* Right before he was betrayed he'd figured out a way to plunder the treasuries of Spain. It was during his escape that he was ambushed by the Spanish Armada. Him and all the Brethren fought like demons and managed to escape.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: He survived?
bihfbMv.png
: There were only ten men left, including RedJack and he was sorely wounded. He and his men sailed to a nearby island and there on the beach he told his men this. "Find who the traitor is, and hunt him down. Return to this island in twenty years for the "Reunion" and if the traitor is dead the treasure shall be yours. If you return and the traitor still lives, all of you will be cursed and none shall have my treasure."
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (That seems like a very specific curse, was this pirate a warlock or someshit.) Ah... right, so who was the traitor?
JqHJQVp.png
: *sighs deeply* That's the problem, to this day, no one knows.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: But the treasure is still there? On the island where RedJack died?
QA1pkme.png
: *he scowls* Greedy bastard aren't you? Yes the treasure is still right where he left it. The ship went down just offshore of that island and there she still sits.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: So, um, where is this island exactly?
bihfbMv.png
: Don't really remember anymore boy, it was never on any map. *cough*
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What about the brethren, how many are left and how soon is this reunion?
JqHJQVp.png
: Only a few of us left, a miserable few. Some tried to get the treasure before it was time. They never came back. But it's soon boy, very soon.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Are you going to stay down here?
bihfbMv.png
: A man like me has to keep moving. Now listen, I've told you all I can remember about redjack.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Still don't know why he did that in the firstplace but W/E)
ZaT0Y5w.png
: The only other thing I know for certain is that you won't solve your problems here. You've got to move on, get out in the world...
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Wait, do you know something about th.....
Suddenly the smelly old man starts glowing blue, and vanishes flowing away like smoke.
J3x2T1x.jpg

mZCQbzC.jpg
: WTF!
I need to get out of this creepy, dark lighthouse, with the creepy glowing old men and the constant jarring sound of the waves breaking. I hastily climb up the ladder from the hidden cove and walk out into the cool night air. Thinking very hard, I don't even realize I'm back in the village square until Elizabeth spots me wandering around.
r7SyCjr.jpg

cjLfBHi.png
: My, Nick, what a big sword you have.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Hmmm, oh right, yeah I got it from... the lighthouse.
HYtLaaT.png
: Be careful around there, Nick. They say there are ghosts and sharks around that horrible ruin.

Looks like she had some useful information after all. I turn around and walk back to the dock, then turn of the path and make my way down the beach, past the lighthouse I was so desperate to avoid. Eventually I come across a small cove with a home made dock (for fishing I would imagine). Lucky me, I can see a shark fin only a little ways out in the water
cCkg8GI.jpg

I can also see a warm glow around a rather large boulder, so I walk around until I spot a camp fire and a boat! Looks safe enough right.
rbDoFP4.jpg

I creep carefully towards the boat, maybe I can....
wBXxwZp.jpg

205Uiq6.jpg

gUuOsAD.png
: YAAAAAAARGHGHG!!!! (my sound setting were WAY to loud for this)
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (shits pants)
A2XZsxf.png
: Scared ye, didn't I? HARHARHAR! *points at my face* Well at least you didn't fall on the ground and cry like a little girl. *he leans in his voice harsh again* Curse yer thick skull, why ye sneakin' bout in the dark? I should kill ye! You trying to steal my boat?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I wasn't sneaking! And I uh, definitely wasn't going to try and steal your boat.
kqdGqtd.png
: Sneakin' bout like a weasel is what ye were doing. You with them buggers in the black robes?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: !!! What buggers?
DcXZxQg.png
: Some evil bastards crawling around the woods. They even made old Lyle nervous. *He looks me up and down* Naw, I guess you ain't in that crew. Who the hell are ye?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Nick
A2XZsxf.png
: Nick, eh? And you live here? By god, dry land is a sorry place for a man to live.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: So are you a.... um... sailor.
gUuOsAD.png
: Pirate is the word yer looking for scrub. Murderer, thief, scum of the high seas, those will also do. Why you so damn interested in me business?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Your captain is looking for you, said he'd, er, hang you if... you don't go speak to him.
kqdGqtd.png
: Oh, well that's alright then. Just don't get too curious about another fellow's business. Ye gotta wait for a man to tell you his story.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (I have a horrible flashback of RedJack's letter, saying no girls allowed.) *gulp*
DcXZxQg.png
: Now, no offense kid but I'm sick of talkin' to ye. I'm going to catch me some kind of animal and eat it. Mayhaps we can bang heads later. *he leans in again* Ye be careful in them woods.

I turn around get into his boat, sail out and AARGHKJHGBCVJCJMGR!!!
ywbq7vx.jpg

r4XANXj.jpg

5aijYhG.jpg

ZI1ciae.jpg

Ok new plan. I go to the very edge of the home made pier. Take my bucket of fishheads, pour all of my rat poison in that bastard, swing it around and lob the thing into the ocean. The shark happily eats the bloody mess, then flips upside down and floats to the top of the waves.
BfjS8o2.jpg

Ok NOW I get on Lyle's boat, row out, somehow drag the shark back to the beach.
Lyle has a laugh, claiming how for his initiation he wrestled an alligator. I lean in and pull one of the shark's teeth out.
MxtmUYm.jpg

Ok two tasks down, one to go. Who in this town could teach me how to fight? Maybe that black dude on the docks. Of we go into the forest and ARGHAFOINUBVBKVTY!!
0BFaAp8.jpg

mhZsU4g.jpg

Assassin attack!! He raises his sword and oh shit OH SHIT, then a well aimed rock hits the assassin in the side of the head. He spins around looks back and throws some potion at the ground near his feet, there's a burst of light and he's gone.
uwPzIBQ.jpg

Oh. Saved. By.
JkXgFnd.jpg

Lyle!

kqdGqtd.png
: I seen them shifty buggers earlier, and I know trouble when it looks me in the face.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Is that meant to be a talent?) Who the hell are they?
DcXZxQg.png
: I think they were them fellows Blackbeard was telling us about.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Blackbeard? I'm pretty sure Justice didn't have a beard, just some gigantic side burns.)
LbKYI79.png
: But let me shut my big flapping jaw before I tell every secret I know.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Thanks, but you know, I could've taken care of them myself. *pat my pistol*
A2XZsxf.png
: Yeah, you turned white as a sheet and wet yer trousers. You've got to learn how to use that sword, scrub, you got to.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Can you teach me how to fight!
LbKYI79.png
: I can't teach nobody nothin' until I get somethin' to drink. My head is all fuzzy when I'm sober and I can't fight worth a damn. But I will teach ye how to fight if you'll get me some ale HARHAR.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: You want to go to the bar with me?
LbKYI79.png
: I've been to the bar lad, some crazy bugger chased me with a gun. Wouldn't even let me eat those dead rats he had out back, said he was using them for something. And I'm askin' myself, Lyle what he be using 'em for? Bah, he refused a fellow human being in desperate need of ale, and in my book that makes 'im a menace to everything on this stinking rock. *looks sideways* You can go up there though.... and get it for me. Bring me back a rat too.

The journey to the inn is rather uneventful and Bull is more than happy to provide me with a mug of ale and a rat.
DkW1J10.jpg

7eV1Q7b.jpg

A quick set of question and I determine that he uses the rat poison to kill rats and then adds them to his ale for flavoring. I decide I'm happy that I get to leave this shithole island with ghostly old men, sadistic women and rat brewing bartenders. I make my way back to Lyle.
Kl8hcvu.jpg

kqdGqtd.png
: Scrub! Damn good to see you in one piece HARHAR. I was afraid "they'd" get you.... before you got back here with my ale.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Thanks for the concern.
kqdGqtd.png
: Guess I owe you a lesson or two with a sword. Well ye already got a blade, so when you're ready to learn to use it, you come find me. I'll be at the dock.

Yeah so basically you can sequence all these events in a completely different order. You can even get to the underground cove under the lighthouse using Lyle's boat. You can also get more or less information, depending on what questions you asked and how you treated people.

So close. For the third time this night I head off to the harbor. I find Lyle standing a little ways off to the side, behind are three crates of empty bottles.
jfhijei.jpg

I suddenly get a very bad feeling about this plan.
zPU04mM.jpg

A2XZsxf.png
: Well, scrub, I see you got a nice big sword *smiles appreciatively*. But I can tell by the way yer holding that pigsticker that ye don't know shit about using it. *stretches* We better get down to business. Ye stand right there while I open up my sack of whupass.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Errm is that how we train?!
LbKYI79.png
: I'm a master of it all, scrub, a god among men. What ye want ol' Lyle to teach you about first?
Options were defense, offense, dodging and practice. You can only practice after having listened to his ranting on the other three.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Defense.
A2XZsxf.png
: Dee-fense is it? HARHAR well, that is the most important thing for ye to know when yer scrawny ass is getting all hacked up. It's all about blocking, scrub. Ye move your arm to wherever ye want to block and yer sword will show up there! Pay attention to attacks from your right, left and from overhead. Pay attention or die.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm listening.
kqdGqtd.png
: Now, just about any fighter is going to telegraph the way he's about to strike. Everything you need to know will be in his eyes, scrub. *points at his eyes*
z2LqkQ3.jpg

mZCQbzC.jpg
: *stares at his eyes*
kqdGqtd.png
: Watch their eyes! Otherwise ye won't have time to get yer sword up where it's supposed to be.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What about offense?
gUuOsAD.png
: HARHARHAR Striking eh? You think ye want to crack some skulls? Same principle as defense really there are three zones. Except you need to click to attack instead of just moving your mouse around. Now that's a fine heavy blade you've got there, and yer gonna get real tired swinging it. Pretty soon, yer strength will get low and yer blows won't have enough power to do damage to a cockroach! When ye get tired like that, yer gonna have to rest a little. Ye'll want to quit hitting and sit tight, just block until you feel strong again. If ye can notice when yer opponent's doing the same thing, well, then ye know he's tired and you should look for a weak spot. Keep that in mind.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Jesus. Alright, anything else?
kqdGqtd.png
: HARHARHAR here's another thing.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Fuck.)
LbKYI79.png
: When ye start a fight, it's mostly just feeling the bastard out, seeing what he's made of. But if ye keep hitting him with the same thing, then he's gonna be able to write a book on ye and then slice yer head of yer shoulders. So mix up yer strikes and blocks, keep him off guard.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Okay got it, I hope. So what about dodging?
A2XZsxf.png
: Now sometimes, scrub, ye may get in a situation where someone is throwing stuff at ye. There's things ye don't want to get hit by, fer me, that's everything but food and women. So ye got to be quick on yer feet. Lucky fer you, I've got some stuff *points at glass bottles* I feel like throwing at ye, so we can include that in your practice.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Is that really safe?
gUuOsAD.png
: It won't be safe if you stand there with a stupid grin on yer face when I commence fire.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Note to self, never smile around Lyle.)
kqdGqtd.png
: Lean left and right to dodge from all three lines of fire. Just don't stare at yer own reflection in the bottles fer too long or you'll need a new eye.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Well shit, I guess I'm ready for combat.
kqdGqtd.png
: Yeah? I hope there's a good carpenter on this island, to make ye some arms and legs HARHAR. *he starts yelling* CLEAR THE DOCKS, THIS COULD GET UGLY!

With that the drunken madman attacks.
a7NbIPy.jpg

This be the combat screen yar. My health is the red orbs on the right and my stamina is the green orbs. Vice versa for our friend Lyle. The tougher enemies the faster they attack, the more damage they do and the less you do to them. Later in the game enemies get special abilities that require more than just blocking and attacking.
dUVwjoF.jpg

IvvuqGE.jpg

TAgrZPV.jpg

We exchange blows for a while and he is fucking fast, I fall back to his useful advice of staring at his eyes as they do in fact reveal which direction he is going to attack from and make the experience far more manageable. As in it's been a while and I got wrecked the first time round.

It takes some time and patience but eventually I get the big fellow down to 1 red orb.
Ar8Q3Nf.jpg

V7zKFz2.jpg

At which point he rapidly backs up to his crate of bottles. (Fuck)
wBa65SM.jpg

The ranged assault begins. It's kinda like slow motion because the bottles take a while to hit reach you, there's essentially three lanes and you try and avoid getting pummeled in the face with glass. At first it's not so bad because he moves around slowly and throws even more slowly. Then he picks up the pace, at one point there was 7 bottles flying at me simultaneously.... I take several bottles to the face which lowers my HP considerably.
5Ewex2G.jpg

STAHP please STAHP!!
VKz8DSn.jpg

Eventually he decides I'm weak enough to beat in close combat. He rushes back in and gets a quick swipe in while I'm still in the mindset of dodging bottles. But a quick slash at his screaming face ends our "friendly" practice session.
LbKYI79.png
: HAR If we was really fighting, ye might have hurt old Lyle. Good job Nick. Now I think you had better go talk to the Captain.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Thanks Kyle that was fucking awesome.
gUuOsAD.png
: One last piece of advice kid, if they ain't you, then they're the enemy.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: That's kinda grim bro.

Okay ladies and gentlemen. That will be all for today. I hope you enjoyed episode two. I know, I know, there was no cannons, soon. Join me next time, probably Sunday, as we sail away from this shithole island and meet all our new friends. Also the plot thickens, like a good turnip soup.

Dreaad

Arcane
Welcome back land lubbers!

We begin at the end of our adventures in Lizard Point, with the whole world awaiting us at the end. After our XXXtreme training with Lyle the drunk behemoth, he suggested I make my way back to the tavern to find Captain Justice, and tell him of my success in completing his three trials of pirate apprenticeship. Good thing too as it seems dawn might come soon. I find him, right where I left him, puzzling over a map and some ale.
vLLClGL.jpg

8FRrv9t.png
: Oh, good, *rolls eyes* you're back. Any progress on what we talked about?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Yes. I killed the shark and brought you this tooth as proof!
eMuO8jb.png
: Hurrr, very impressive... the shark is a powerful beast.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I also got myself a blade and beat Lyle in a fight.
eMuO8jb.png
: Well now, that's a big point in your favor. *looks me up and down* I must say, boy, when I told you to do those things I really thought it would discourage you. Didn't think you could actually do them, just meant to toughen you up a bit. It seems I may have misjudged you. If you want to join my crew, you're welcome. What do you say to that?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I want to be an officer.
opcvy6V.png
: You think this is a game we're playing?! Have you ever killed a man? I think not. You have much to learn and if you aren't careful, boy, I'll teach you the hard way. Now take it or leave it.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'll join.
8FRrv9t.png
: Good then. We'll set sail soon. That storm has got me very worried.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: The storm?
opcvy6V.png
: Yes, I'm feeling wary, boy, you've got a nervous look about you too.... If you're running away from something, I don't want to take on your trouble, I've got enough of my own. Who's after you?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I..... they wear purple robes and.... and strange hats.
eMuO8jb.png
: *his voice drops very low* They're here?! You saw them earlier? But... what do you have to do with....? No, no time for questions. You're definitely coming with us. Don't tell anyone else, what you told me tonight.

With that he hastily packs up his gear and we march off to his ship. Setting sail only a few hours later, just as the thunder and rain begins crashing in around Lizard Point.
XV0DsPN.jpg

Cdg3yXs.jpg

I spend a restless night dreaming of glowing old men and wake up in my own time. Outside of the shared sleeping hold, I find it's a bright, beautiful day but it looks like I won't get to enjoy it.
1HbkF1T.jpg

gBjwAya.png
: Before you're officially a member of this crew, you'll have to take an oath. Now, do you swear apon the axe to be honarable in all your dealings and to be loyal to your captain and this crew.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Er, I just woke up....
wT6lzaO.png
: .....
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I mean yes sir!
gBjwAya.png
: ... Good. Now go look around the ship. You'll find plenty to keep you busy. With that he strides of to his private cabin. I take in the sights. It really is a fine day.
Yd8foT5.jpg

Looking around I spot some silhouette's of men that I've already met. There's the black guy, who wanted to walk around in my skin.
8CmeqN7.jpg

There's bone, who wanted to bludgeon me into unconsciousness.
4S5cdl4.jpg

Over by the cannons is Lyle, probably the closest thing I've got to a companion on this ship. Even if he did try to reconfigure my face with glass. *sigh* Why am I here again?
Odk5dAu.jpg

The rest of the crew is apparently below decks, or, up in the rigging doing whatever it is people do on pirate ships. Complaining about their hard ass boss most likely. I decide I may as well befriend the black man, try to make a good first impression so he doesn't turn my skin into a cloak.
EkjPnzE.jpg

XZN4L9f.png
: Nicholas. Do you remember me?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (How could I forget?) Yes we... uh... met on the docks. What's your name again?
XZN4L9f.png
: No one knows my real name.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Oh.... so....
mziEdOt.png
: You may call me Cross. I see that you impressed Captain Justice and now are one of us. *smiles* Everyone of us should try and teach you a little of his talent.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (I'm not sure I like where this is going.)
XZN4L9f.png
: If you wish, I will try to make you understand how the clouds reflect your fate.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What?
mziEdOt.png
: Soon you will be at the center of a great disturbance. You will have to learn to stand calm, in the eye of the storm, and outwit your enemies without being swept away.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (That just sounds like common sense.).... Where are you from again?
mziEdOt.png
: A place in Africa. I elected to join the pirates, and see the world.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: How did you learn to predict people's fate from the clouds?
XZN4L9f.png
: It is a talent that I inherited from my mother.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Right. What does this kind of weather mean?
mziEdOt.png
: There is unrest all around us. (Really really sunny.) Of course, you are the cause of it. Hmm there is someone in Port Royal who might tell you more. She has a talent like I do but uses it in a different way. We will arrive at her doorstep very soon.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm not sure I want to know the future.
BJDv1yJ.png
: *angry* You cannot hide. And I cannot venture to say more about her. You will meet her soon enough.

This man makes a lot of dramatic gestures with his arms. Waving them around, pointing at clouds, thumping his chest etc.

With that he turns around and goes back to playing with the ropes. I sigh, again. Well it could've gone worse. Maybe I'll just go talk to Lyle, at least I can understand him.
3tZjsKL.jpg

WQMaT6L.png
: So, scrub, you want to hear a joke or ye wonna talk serious?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Tell me a joke.
WQMaT6L.png
: HAR, here it is. Why did the man hide under the bed?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I don't know....
zJkV5EH.png
: Cause he was sleepin' with me wife when I came home. *throws his head back* HARHARHARHARHAR. Want to hear another joke scrub?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Heh, sure.
fHIDZyh.png
: Why did the same man die?
mZCQbzC.jpg
zJkV5EH.png
: Cause I found him under there! HARHARHARHARHAR. Well now ye heard me joke, you wonna talk serious?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Ok.
WQMaT6L.png
: How do ye like the sea so far? Warn me if you start feeling queasy. Don't want yer puke on me new shirt.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: When does the murder and mayhem start?
25RYfbr.png
: Couldn't say lad, normally by now we'd be knee deep in blood, slaughterin' and stealin' left and right. Capn' actin' funny though. Like he's fergot he's a pirate. No one knows why. Hey, scrub, you wouldn't know anything about that would you?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Purple hooded men maybe.) No.
25RYfbr.png
: That's what I thought you'd say. Well, ye got a right to keep yer business to yerself. Just remember who taught you how to fight! You can of course reveal everything to him, in which case he muses about whether the captain is too cowardly to follow.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Lyle... do you know anything about RedJack's treasure?
WQMaT6L.png
: I know a few sea captains who set out to get it. None of them ever came back. I'm just as greedy as the next guy, but this is one case where I draw the line.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What about the "Brethren", you met any?
25RYfbr.png
: ... I saw Blackbeard one time, in Jamaica, which is where we're goin', after our stop in Port Royal. Yes, I saw Blackbeard choke a man for walking in his path. Choked em until they was deader than hell, then choked em some more HARHAR. He's my hero! Someday I'll be on his crew. My daddy sailed with 'im, you know, back when they was both on RedJack's crew.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Your father was one of the Brethren?
WQMaT6L.png
: Damn right scrub. Say, have you met Sullivan?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Who's that?
WQMaT6L.png
: Keeps to himself a bit, looking for someone, I get the feeling. A little scrawny, *he squints* like you, but a terror with a dagger. Hates Bone too, just like I do.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Introduce me.
zJkV5EH.png
: *screams* HEY SULLIVAN!! COME OVER HERE!

Eardrums still ringing, I turn around and watch an extraordinary skinny fellow, clamber over to where me and Kyle are chatting.
NAsT89C.jpg

feuQR6z.png
: Hello, nice to meet you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Wow, a decent, friendly man.)
fy4lAGl.png
: My name is Sullivan.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I haven't seen you around before I don't think.
feuQR6z.png
: I was keeping watch on the ship and didn't get to go ashore. Lyle says you're a clever one, and that's why he decided to help you get aboard. Now that you're here I won't be be the newbie anymore.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Well it's nice to meet someone normal.
feuQR6z.png
: You'll have to do all the work no else wants to do. But don't worry, sooner or later there will be someone even newer than you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Great.
feuQR6z.png
: Do you like the ship so far?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I was just glad to leave Lizard Point.
RN42RvS.png
: So it seems. There's more than one person on this ship who had to leave one place or another in a hurry. *pauses awkwardly* I saw a girl in a tight dress, wandering around the town square. Was that your girl? Never mind, I guess there's no need to dwell on what you've left behind. Well, why don't you ask me a question instead, I don't want to do all the talking.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Ok, I guess.... How long have you been on this ship?
feuQR6z.png
: Six months, now, at least. It's hard to keep track of time out on the sea. The sun just burns it out of you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Burns out your brains more like.)
feuQR6z.png
: .... uo have a goal of some kind.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm sorry what was that? I was day dreaming.
BVlQlnd.png
: I said it's hard to stay focused unless you have a goal.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Oh. So do you have a goal?
RN42RvS.png
: I'm looking for someone. Say, you must have had to do something extraordinary to get accepted on this ship. Captain Justice is always thinking up peculiar tasks. It's kind of a game with him, I think.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Yeah I had to kill a shark, no big deal.
fy4lAGl.png
: Yeah that sounds about right, mine was to bite off a live chickens head.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (HOLLY SHIT!)
BVlQlnd.png
: So what is it that you're running away from?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Why do you ask?
feuQR6z.png
: I'm curious about you. You must have impressed the captain. Don't you trust me?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I don't know you.
feuQR6z.png
: How about this. I'll tell you something about me? We can trade confidences.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Why me, what did I do!)

Let the Game of Thrones Brethren commence. You either get the treasure or you die, there is no middle ground.

mZCQbzC.jpg
: Ok, you go first.
BVlQlnd.png
: Now, you've got to understand, they'll kill me if they find out.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Sweet Jesus then don't fucking tell me! I don't want any part of this.)
RN42RvS.png
: I, don't know why I'm taking this risk with you. I haven't told anyone.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (How bad could it be...) *crosses fingers*

Sullivan leans in really close.
Cf4QWoM.jpg

RN42RvS.png
: *low voice* I'm not really a man.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (FML) Er.... is this a.... gender.... identity issue?
BVlQlnd.png
: *rolls eyes* NO. I had to get on this ship so I dressed up, a little. I have to find somebody.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (FML) I'm guessing he's a pirate?
feuQR6z.png
: I hope so.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Bitch WTF.) Well then, what makes you think you'll find him out here?
feuQR6z.png
: Well, I have this letter.
rmConcS.jpg

Hmm so the letter is addressed to what I can only assume is Sullivan's mother, before her birth... Doesn't really sound that bad, I mean, if you sleep with a pirate, chances are they'll run from commitment. Bah whatever, womyns, I carefully roll up the letter and pass it back.

RN42RvS.png
: I didn't come across this letter until it was too late. I thought her husband was my father until I found this.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Sorry.
feuQR6z.png
: I'm glad he wasn't, he was a real bastard. It was strange the way my mother died you know. A riding "accident", but there was always talk among the servants that he killed her.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Ok stop lady, I feel like you've revealed too many secrets beginning with the first one.)
feuQR6z.png
: When I find out the truth about my father and make my fortune, I'm going back to Charleston and find out the truth behind my mother too!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Is you step father still alive?
fy4lAGl.png
: Yes. I hope the old bastard lives long enough for me to kill him. According to the law he has complete control over me, so that's why I ran away. Anyway that's my story.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Oh, well, I uh don't really have a story.
BVlQlnd.png
: ..... Well I have a feeling that you are always going to be at the center of the action, and I think that's where the answers are for me as well. And if there's some treasure at the end of this, well I wouldn't mind having that either.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Is that a threat?
fy4lAGl.png
: See you round Nick.

This situation just gets worse and worse. I look around and the only person on deck that I haven't talked to is Bone. Who appears to have been paying attention to me. He was rather hostile last time so I'm not too keen on chatting with him again. Instead I walk back over to Kyle. He tells some more jokes, with people dying as punchlines. Then he walks me through how to use a cannon. They fire in an ark and you don't get an aiming aid. This is probably the single worst cannon mini game ever.
pjhtWAG.jpg

It's an enlightening experience at how bad I am at shooting cannons. Even if I'm only firing at dummy ships.
vhUNxPH.jpg

Sadly I can't actually stay here forever and eventually as I try to walk past Snape Bone to the captain's cabin, he casually ambushes me. Arms crossed and scowling.
neXhj5f.jpg

qliYumn.png
: So you've joined us then. How terribly exciting.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Can't we just get along.
PIuo4ay.png
: No, we most assuredly can't just get along' you little rat. Besides, I want you to hate me. Then it'll be all the sweeter in the end.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: The end?
KBYw6cX.png
: *he smirks* That's right, when those assassins finally get Captain Justice, that'll be the end of you... *his smile widens* You and your "friend" Sullivan. I'm going to scare me up a whole new crew once you lot of shits are swinging from a rope.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (This guy knows a lot it seems.) I...
3GRXqpv.png
: Heh don't think Lyle will protect you either. Him and Cross have about as much brains as a seagull. *he mimics Cross's dry voice* "There's a storm coming, there is great unrest around you." What a load of crap. I'll kill all of you first chance I get.

I back away slowly. Glancing over my shoulder every few seconds as I make a beeline for the Captain. His cabin is quite luxurious.
esp0bkE.jpg

GSCilxm.jpg

He watches me as I look around, then beckons me over.
fj8teDA.jpg

eMuO8jb.png
: What's on your mind?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Bone sai...
8FRrv9t.png
: Bone is just being Bone. He's ruthless. But, I keep a leash on him, besides, he's the best swordsman on this ship. He's helped a great deal with our mutual problem. We have other things to talk about boy. For one thing you need to learn the watch, cannons and navigation. That will take a while, but we've got a lot of time before our next port.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'll do my best.
opcvy6V.png
: Hurrrr. What we really need to learn is how to get away from those assassins. I figure the sea is the safest place for me, no place for them to hide on my ship.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Why are they trying to kill me?
opcvy6V.png
: *his eyes narrow* I don't know. We seem to share the same problem, though I can't imagine why. You barely look eighteen. *He paces* You weren't even born when the Brethren roamed the seas. I suspect it's the "traitor" trying to kill of the last of us. Want's to get his hands on that gold, I suppose, there's an incalculable amount down there. He thinks if he somehow kills us all, the curse won't get him.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Maybe it's not this, "traitor".
8FRrv9t.png
: Hmmm, any scumbag that thought of it might try it, that's true. They'd fail though. All the Brethren are master swordsmen and strategists, we learned a lot from RedJack.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: How many are left.
eMuO8jb.png
: Very few, these men who are after us are something else. I would've said the remaining Brethren were invincible... we were invincible. Until now. *he muses to himself* But it's all coming together, soon. At the reunion I'll get some answers. *he glances back at me* Now I'm busy, this area is shallow and dangerous, and I need to go through these nautical charts carefully. We won't need assassins to kill us if we run aground out here. I'll speak with you later, go find some work.

I leave his miniature palace deep in thought. Wandering around I spot Lyle again. He seems happy to see me and spends some time teaching me how to "look busy" while not actually being busy. I'm starting to like him.

We travel for several months, with me spending a majority of my time vomiting and scrubbing the deck.
nKBjxOj.jpg

kfseECt.jpg

Justice, in his spare time, teaches me how to use my pistol.
T3bUMrK.jpg

At night I sit around with the some of the crew, drinking and making my plans drinking.
BvHsCmY.jpg

hDLAcmA.jpg

After almost 4 months and very little pirating we arrive at Port Royal.
Elb6c8D.jpg

I am damned happy to get of the ship and spend some of my hard earned loot. Most of the crew quickly disperses since they know how this works.
GWhs4Fw.jpg

Justice stops me however.
T1ZKWYK.jpg

We have a very brief conversation, in which he informs to not cause any trouble, to watch my back and to be back at the ship by ten in the morning. I inform him that I don't have a watch. He seems annoyed but distracted, he hands over his own watch and tells me if I lose it he'll throw me overboard. Just like that and I'm free to wander around.

I trust you all have enjoyed the third episode. An interesting "calm before the storm" section of the game. I will continue to do my best to deliver these daily. Join me next time for the attack of the Arabian ninjas!
Actually I am curious of anyone who is reading. What do you guys think about the cast, who are the bad guys, Lyle, Bone, Sullivan, the mysterious Blackbeard? Any thoughts on where the plot might be heading? I'm not going to reveal anything, just wondering.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Lyle is a gud guy. You can tell it by his :obviously: type of jokes.

Sullivan is a
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:
A guy who wants you to see him as a woman pretending to be a guy. It's a trap, I'm telling ye! I'm sure he is also arab assassin.

Bone can't be that bad. The really bad ones are not that straight-in-yer-face. He's a prick, tho.

Cap Justice is a traitor. BETRAYAL! I bet he called that meeting just to backstab remaining Brethren.

And Dickolas is RedJack reborn, obviously. So you should stop vomiting - it's embarassing for a legendary pirate cap.

Idiott

Arcane
I guess it would be pretty impossible to hide the fact that you're a woman on a pirate ship, but this setting seems pretty cartoony so, uh, maybe?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Elizabeth is just playing the main character because he's a turbodweeb. But he'll grow through the journey, become a badass and finally fuck her in the end.

Dreaad

Arcane
Last time we had just arrived at Port Royal, after months of sea sickness. We got ashore and Captain Justice gave us leave to wander around until morning. He also gave us his watch to make sure we would be back on time...

God damn it's nice being of that boat, even if I did get used to the swaying. Bone kept prowling about after me, like a freaking ghost, hope that wasn't on the captain's orders. Sadly, I notice that he's come ashore with some of the others. Most of the crew already went of to the pub, but I spot Lyle standing nearby. I might need a bodyguard tonight. Hoping he's not busy I head over in his direction. Sullivan walks past me, mentioning that she's going to ask around town, see if anyone knows anything about her real father. City looks pretty big with some guards patrolling around.
1jqMPOT.jpg

No60Ffd.jpg

When I reach Lyle, he seems excited.
iLdao0w.jpg

9R8Zeeh.png
: You'd better get on in to town if you're going. We won't be here long scrub.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Want to come along with me?
9R8Zeeh.png
: Naw, I'm going to meet my girl. I'm going to surprise her. *big smile*
CBYceVg.png
: Hah, don't be "surprised" when she calls out my name.
vaACdXq.png
: You shut that rumhole, ugly bastard or I'll curse ye with six inches of steel in yer guts.
gISVpT9.png
: *laughter*
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Damn.) Have fun.
2vS8XHe.png
: Oh, before I ferget scrub. If you go see the fortune teller Cross is always going on 'bout, don't let her hex you. Better yet, don't go at all, she gets her news straight from the devil. Had me a friend who pissed 'er off. First he went bald... *dramatic voice* then he died.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (I'm not sure the baldness and death are related Lyle.)

He strides of with a purpose. I glance back at the ship and see Cross staring at me (shudder). Well, guess I'll be going to see that fortune teller after all. While I'm distracted, Bone slides in close.
Sy214NQ.jpg

5tIz0uQ.png
: Dove! Enjoy your last night. *his smile covers his entire face* You won't live to see tomorrow. *somehow his smile widens* The countdown begins now, Mwahahahaha.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What did I ever do to you?
hKa1bOG.png
: Nothing. By the way, about you and your "girlfriend". You both seem to have forgotten that women aren't allowed on board. Maybe the whole crew would like to know, haha.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What do you want Bone?
loHhUh8.png
: All of your gold.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'll give you half.
CBYceVg.png
: No, you'll give me all of it Dove. Do we have a deal?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (FML) Yes, we have a deal.
gISVpT9.png
: Good. It's been a pleasure doing business with you Dove. Now get out of my face.

You can say no... or rather "I've got you gold right here scum!" but then the pirates hang you later, it's a very annoying fail state, that actually doesn't come into effect for a while.

I fucking hate that guy. Seriously. No whores for me tonight. I really have to figure out a way to deal with this Sullivan problem, otherwise Bone will just keep boning me at every opportunity. *sigh* I head of to the pub.

Just outside I'm confronted with a fat midget.
RdLQfbb.jpg

He reminds me of Igor from SMT games.

XtgNxxv.png
: You look like a pirate. Are you a pirate?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: ... No
XtgNxxv.png
: I've already had to kick out several pirates tonight. I'm tired of you riff-raff making this town unsafe for decent people. If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, then it's a duck, that's what I always say.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (This guy was clearly blessed at birth.)
YunIoJF.png
: What you need is a taste of justice to crack open your skull *handles his paddle* I'm watching you. Go on and try me. I want to beat the evil out of you!

Fuck that. I have enough problems. I go of into one of the side alleys. I spend an hour or two just walking around. Eventually wandering a bit I find some strange looking shop near a dead end passage.
cLhl77d.jpg

Charming. Walking inside all I see is a corridor with a glowing orb at the end and somebody sitting behind it. Here we fucking go.
cgCRd29.jpg

As I get closer I see that it's a black woman with a crystal ball, tarot cards, one eye sewn shut, dreadlocks, bone earrings, a fancy chair and purple clothes. I wonder if this is the fortune teller.
h3rfexb.jpg

h98FkMX.jpg

irc7Ymq.png
: Ahh, Nicholas Dove. You have come.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Might as well start this the right way.) How do you know my name?!
nq9wAYc.png
: I know many things. Li Zombie, the speaker of the dead, gathers the bones of prophesy, so that I may see into you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
irc7Ymq.png
irc7Ymq.png
: Now, what is it that you would wish to know of a soothsayer?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Well, mayb...
gXwspy1.png
: AAHH!! I taste a curse upon your soul. You don't even know of this curse, put upon you by a man of the darkness, it is a spell of finding! Do you wish me to remove the curse?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Ok I'll bite.) Yes, that would be great.
gXwspy1.png
: I cannot! It's maker is powerful, and many miles away.

:lol::lol:This game man. I forgot how great it really is.:lol::lol:

mZCQbzC.jpg
: ...
irc7Ymq.png
: *as if nothing happened* Do you wish to know the future?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm not su....
gXwspy1.png
: I will tell you! A vision of death appears no matter what path I walk in your behalf!! If you weren't sitting before me... I would say that you were already dead!

:lol::lol:

nq9wAYc.png
: *musing* Perhaps if I ask the others on your behalf, hmmm look into the crystal.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: *sigh* (Doom and despair here we go.) *looks into crystal*
TaCi4T5.jpg

gXwspy1.png
: Concentrate, the drugs in the fumes... ahm... I mean, the bone spirits will show you...

There is something... I concentrate....
Y6vMfLt.jpg

3E7sbmB.jpg

d90prZs.jpg

1q5kUdR.jpg

eSpabgK.jpg

5XO9CNC.jpg

OH SHIT! That was Lizard Point. Not that I really liked anyone there. Still, that's some luck I got, getting out of there before that storm of Spanish bastards destroyed it.

cIb8Ym8.png
: The image passes. The dead have done what they will. To know more you must, confront the one who looks for you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What about the curse?
nq9wAYc.png
: You must make your own fortune.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm trying. Hmm, do you know anything about the Brethren or the treasure of RedJack?
irc7Ymq.png
: Over the years, I have spoken to each of the Brethren in turn. But every man's business is his own. The gold... of which the legend speaks, lies in a cold place. Where a demon dreams. The treasure was made from blood and only blood will release it. I will allow you one more question Nicholas Dove.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Hmm, I could ask about Sullivan, the traitor or RedJack...) Who was the traitor?
gXwspy1.png
: That is hidden, even from me. I have nothing more to tell you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Fuck. I knew I should've just asked about Sullivan's real father.)
irc7Ymq.png
: Wait. I do have something more to give you before you go. A gift. *She reaches down and picks up two vials of liquid from behind her.* These two vials contain the most powerful spells I can give a fighting man. The green one will give you new strength. The red, will knit your wounds. Use both sparingly. Now go... and try to save your pathetic life. I'll be watching. *evil laugh*

With those hurtful last words, she raises her arms and vanishes in cloud of pink smoke.
ioauRmX.jpg

Well sheeeeet. I get up from the chair and go back out the corridor I came through. Outside I almost walk straight into Justice. He looks worried.
djBvueA.jpg

GlY3ZJI.png
: For god's sake, stand aside son, I'm on my way to meet someone.

As I'm about to reply with a question, we both hear a noise above us.
0jm4Y5Z.jpg

OH FUCK! Justice pushes me backwards as the assassin leaps down from the roof.
uAbFYVl.jpg

I go flying into a pile of boxes and barrels. Still dazed I look up.
URe9jss.jpg

I see Justice grimace as he raises his fists to fight the assassin in front of him. He must be confident because the assassin is holding a huge scimitar.
Ikzw1sN.jpg

Just as Justice gets ready to throw a punch another assassin leaps down behind him!
Didydnl.jpg

Before he can turn, around the assassin grabs his shoulder and rams him from behind (huehue). Blood goes everywhere.
npNe4LD.jpg

mrIVyax.jpg

FUCK, SHIT! (Kinda ironic that "justice" was assassinated.) Still dazed I slowly get to my feet, my eyes on the assassins. One of them leans down and.....SHIT!
Y4vJIKY.jpg

He raises a severed arm over his head he yells ALLAHU AKBAR ALALALALALA!!!.
JPpGnIp.jpg

I stumble backwards and knock over a barrel.
9roIbF6.jpg

SHIT. Well time to see if my training on board the ship will keep me alive against these crazy fuckers. I reach for my pistol and... FUCK! It must have flown of me when Justice pushed me aside. No time to collect it now!
dUDcRTC.jpg

Lets do this. The first assassin runs in while his friend continues looking over the corpse of Captain Justice. He's got a huge scary looking blade. You can see the two potions I received as a gift from the fortuneteller bellow my HP/END bars.
5cla7u9.jpg

I attack him relentlessly, trying to drive him back as much as possible, so he is up against the wall.
blwPc3L.jpg

Success. So far he hasn't managed to get through my guard, but I'm not having much luck either.
nF4tOk2.jpg

Then he does some sneaky shit, with a quick strike left then some sorta spin attack that I wasn't expecting because I was too busy looking at his eyes (fuck you Lyle).
3LHIf6C.jpg

He gets his slice in, but my counter attack does far more damage to him. That's what you get for wearing robes in a fight.
WgRVfOh.jpg

We carry on for a bit, I manage to score another solid hit AND avoid his spin attack this time round.
F3LKITa.jpg

I'm feeling pretty confident, pffft assassins :roll:, but then he raises up his left hand with some red bag in it and throws at the ground.
HFiG0wj.jpg

SHIT. Some kind of smoke bomb. Desperate, I back pedal and wave my arm around wildly. I forgot how many tricks these guys have. Essentially I can't see him for a few seconds, only the blur of his sword milliseconds before it connects. Needless to say by the time the smoke clears, I have taken a beating!
jKVOCdf.jpg

Ok new plan, drink my potion so I don't die!
cVclOHJ.jpg

Nice, not only did I get back 3 hp, I also got another hit in. He raises his hand with another red bomb in it, but I ain't having any of that shit. Neatly slicing the hand holding the bomb.

The assassin backs up, right up against the wall, throws down a flash bomb, (so many bombs) and as I swing to finish him off, he wildly leaps away onto a box and then onto the roof. His friend decides now is a good time to stop watching. Before rushing at me he throws down his big scimitar and draws two daggers (Kris maybe?) I assume he isn't confident with the big blade after watching me slice his friend up.
y3sF7rm.jpg

I try the same tactic of forcing him up against the opposite wall, I succeed but he cuts me into little pieces in seconds. I decide to take another swig of the potion. They have two uses. That means, I'm all outa health potions until I find more but whatever. As I chug it down, he makes a dual dagger attack.
IZfVhS9.jpg

So I went up to 6 then down to 4 in one breath. SHIT. I try attacking because I need to end this quickly. He doesn't want to comply, blocking every attack over and over again.
Aen6mwh.jpg

Kpw48Ur.jpg

This goes on for a while and I manage to mostly keep him on the defensive. Eventually I get through two hits in a row. (He must've got something in his inhumanly large eyes.)
Z3h3Ubr.jpg

He doesn't like that and proceeds to pull some crazy six hit combo out of his ass.
Mua0d3D.jpg

I get one hit in while he's going berserk, sadly a lot of his attacks also get through!
5a3aiEn.jpg

We're both injured badly so we stop, staring at each other for a second. Then we both swing.
8yE3l6B.jpg

Difference is, his fatigue is kinda low so I swing faster dagger or no! He makes like his friend, throwing down a flash bang and leaping away. I can't believe I managed to beat these dudes when I was like 10 years old working with a roll-point mouse.

Breathing heavily and bleeding all over the place, sword still in hand I go and collect my pistol. I spot it with no problem. Carefully re-holstering both weapons, I scan my surroundings.
x1koJon.jpg

FML. Looks like the city watch showed up and they're inspecting the body of the captain. With them, is that crazed imp who was outside the bar. That's the only way out of this alley too. I get a very bad feeling in my stomach, could be nerves or my multiple wounds.

Thank you all for reading! Next time join Nick as he battles accusations of misandry and cannibalism!

lightbane

Arcane
I remember seeing an article about this game on the magazine MicromanĂ­a (back when they were not a blatant collection of ads) long, long ago. Later on I tried to find this game, but I was unable to do so because I didn't remember the name, but I'm quite sure it was this one. Either way, it looks cool. Carry on agent.

Dreaad

Arcane
Welcome all. Right, so last time on Dragon Ball Z RedJack: RotB we watched as Nick fought off two assassins by himself. We also learned that the assassins are being sent by a dark mysterious man who has cast a curse of "finding" on us. That's some serious magic. After the epic fight, we turned around to leave the dark bloodstained alley but saw that the local law enforcement had arrived on the scene.

I curse, realizing that my options are limited. I could hide behind the some barrels, but if they do a thorough search of the area and find me, I'm going to look far more suspicious. I decide my best choice is to walk towards them. As I approach I overhear one of the guards. *horrified voice* "Oh, god someone ate one of his arms off!" I try to make sense of this, he's probably just surprised to see Justice's body with an arm missing, I hope.

As I draw nearer the violent imp spins around, his eyes narrow.
mUnTyre.jpg

m4FnxnV.png
: You there! Stop right where you are! *lifts his paddle above his head*
mZCQbzC.jpg
m4FnxnV.png
: What happened here?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Gotta make this sound good.) There were these two men... wearing hoods...
nuxXuCr.png
: I see, the mysterious hooded men. Yes, they're conveniently guilty of many things in this section of town.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Look, I'm telli...
IjCcVmA.png
: *looks at his guards* Do either of you know who this was?

I hear a slight noise at the entrance to the alley. I turn, ready for anything, hand on my sword hilt. As I spot the figure sliding out of the shadows I feel ill.
060CsfW.jpg

n2udwSI.png
: That's Captain Justice, of the Marauder. *look of shock* He's been murdered. *he slowly looks up at me* He killed the Captain!
IjCcVmA.png
: And who might you be?
loHhUh8.png
: I'm Bone, first mate of the Marauder. *Bone points at me* I saw him kill Captain Justice.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: You lying....!
nuxXuCr.png
: What's this?

Distracted I didn't notice the little devil imp snatch out his hand right into my pocket.

mZCQbzC.jpg
: What? Hey!
YunIoJF.png
: A watch? It's inscribed with the name... Lanton Justice. What are you doing with this eh?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: He gave that watch to me hours ago!
CBYceVg.png
: I saw him steal the watch.
XtgNxxv.png
: Hmm, it's clear that you killed this man in cold blood, robbed him and then ate his arm! Monster! It's a good thing we got here when we did or there'd be no evidence left.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What? That's insane.
gISVpT9.png
: .......
XtgNxxv.png
: Allow me to escort you to the jail, we'll hurry along your sentence. You won't have to wait long before we hang you.

I feel something hard hit me in the back of the head. One of the guards must have.... everything goes black.

Uuhh, my head aches. My whole body seems to pulse with pain. Stiffly I try to rise (huehue). Bars....
WVGEJYQ.jpg

More bars...
lg2UUVI.jpg

More bars...
Jcbw9XO.jpg

Not good. God my body feels like I've had my skin peeled off and sand poured in it's place. At least they washed the blood away. As I try to stand up the ugly dwarf spots me.
u0RLRBk.jpg

m4FnxnV.png
: Hah, awake at last scum.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (I wonder how much Bone paid him.)
XtgNxxv.png
: ....sleeping for two days.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Two days! Shit.)
m4FnxnV.png
: Seems you woke up just in time, for your last night. I'm going to stay right here and keep an eye on you. Come daybreak it's off to the gallows haha.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What about a trial?
YunIoJF.png
: We've got an eyewitness who saw you kill the "Captain" and take his gold watch. The townspeople are very eager to see you kicking at the end of a noose tomorrow, cannibals aren't welcome in Port Royal you see.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I didn't...
m4FnxnV.png
: We'll even have a proper parade for you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Listen...
m4FnxnV.png
: I'm warning you, animal, keep your evil mouth shut or I'll beat you until you have to be dragged out of here tomorrow.

With that he resumes his pacing up and down the small holding area. I quietly sit back down on the wooden bed rack. "Go join the pirate's" she says, "Making a fortune will be so easy," she says. I glance up, the man in the cell next to mine is staring at me. Probably because I'm mumbling to myself. Seeing me looking at him, his skin turns pale. Some tall fellow in the ridiculous puffy outfit of a Spanish soldier.
LHd0Ntf.jpg

RIPan2w.png
: P..P..Please. Don't eat me!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: *sigh* I'll think about it. Why are you in here anyway.
lkxmsLJ.png
: I have been most cruelly imprisoned.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Yeah?
4lSRT2m.png
: *he walks closer and grabs the bars* In this time of war, I am no friend of your British government.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What's your name?
EyPe2gt.png
: .... I am Jesus, son of Jesus, from Cartegena. I am ... pleased to make your acquaintance.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm not going to bite. How did you end up here then? All by yourself too.
EyPe2gt.png
: I was a seaman in the Spanish Armada. I was serving aboard a galleon owned by the Viceroy of Cartegena. *looks out his cell window* The Viceroy is a very bad man and his ship was haunted.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Haunted?
4lSRT2m.png
: That's right senor. Some of the men talked of an extra crewman, who paced the decks at night.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Oh. What did this ghost look like?
w8WPEIA.png
: I think I should not tell you anymore until you do something for me.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What can I do for you... in this cell...? (Please dear god no!)
lkxmsLJ.png
: You must make a promise, that if you escape, you will let me out!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Thank you god.) I suppose.
EyPe2gt.png
: Good, otherwise, I think they will hang me in your place just to appease the crowd.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: So, this ghost, did you ever see it?
EyPe2gt.png
: No senor, I never saw it myself. But the ghost is not the important part of my story.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Then why FFS did you start talking about a ghost!!!)
lkxmsLJ.png
: We were headed for England, or rather, a small island town in English waters. The Viceroy was looking for someone, an old man, in a place called Lizard Point.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Hmmm.) When were you supposed to get there?
w8WPEIA.png
: Oh a while ago now, our large war galleons make good speed if the wind is right. The ship I was on was the only one that went down in that storm *shudders*. I have never seen the sea so angry.
IjCcVmA.png
: Be quite the both of you! Or my musket gets accidentally pointed at you and accidentally discharged.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Bastard, things were just getting interesting.)

The Spanish man turns around and walks back to his bunk. I look over at the wooden table sitting in the cell with me. Curious, I open it up.
Eu89Esu.jpg

Hmmm a cup, spoon and plate. Not ideal tools to make a grand escape. Looking out the barred window I see we're quite high up, one of the towers. Damn. Suddenly I get an idea. Checking to make sure my short friend isn't watching to carefully, I grab the spoon, and start quietly scrapping away the clay between the rocks. This place is kind moldy and wet so after an hour or so, it comes away easily enough.
XwDEGRZ.jpg

Success! Time to...
jWyO3HC.jpg

Oh what the fucking fuck. Ok, I can't get discouraged. This time after I pull out a rock I'll place it immediately in the desk and not try to hide it on my person. The Spanish dude observes me as I complete this arduous task for a second time. Just as I finish up this job, still having no idea what I'm actually going to do with a rock even if I get one. Sullivan's face appears
UZeMZrw.jpg

How the... she must be extremely good at climbing.... I gesture wildly for her to duck! Then I look over at my cellmate, quickly whispering to him to distract the guard. He knows what's up. Listening to their conversation pick up, I turn back to the cell window and lightly brush the spoon against the iron bars. Sullivan re-appears.

mtASvtf.png
: I can't stay long Nick, the watchman walks by every five minutes.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What are you doing here?
mtASvtf.png
: I know you didn't kill Captain Justice. I'm trying to find a way to help you.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm out of time Sullivan, if you can help it's tonight or never
mtASvtf.png
: I brought you something.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (YES, something good happens for once.)
XvL64UA.jpg

mZCQbzC.jpg
: Rum.
mtASvtf.png
: Don't be sarcastic Nick.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Bitch what the fuck! Couldn't you have brought me a pistol?
mtASvtf.png
: I'm doing everything I can! *she looks down* Shit, I'll be back later.

I don't have later woman. Damn it. I'm left peering out the window, holding the bottle of rum, still stunned.

nuxXuCr.png
: Allow me to take that off your hands.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What?
m4FnxnV.png
: That bottle there idiot.

Nothing to do but hand the thing over. His head looks like it could survive multiple bottle AND rock hits with little effect. I watch him smile as he takes my bottle of rum. Cheap, dirty bastard.

mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm thirsty and dying tomorrow, can you at least pour me a drink?
m4FnxnV.png
: I'm not going to ask how you got this in there. Nor am I going to give you anything. This is my rum now, scum. Maybe a few drinks will improve my disposition since you won't stop talking to me.

He goes round the table at the opposite side of the room from me. Sits down, starts singing and drinking. Still holding his paddle.
ZoKwBKg.jpg

A few hours later he seems to have reached his limit and fallen asleep. The Spanish man has a also fallen asleep on his bed. Both snore quietly as I assess my options.
fnZDKJr.jpg

I have a rock... and a spoon... well... And then I see it, the keys to cells! They are lying on a book, a book that is conveniently half way of the edge on the table! Haha, after that much rum the idiot won't wake up to rock hitting the floor. Time to test my aim.
kcKLUo9.jpg

I carefully prepare myself and pitch the rock.... it hits the balding dwarf on the head! He has a fit, looks around in surprise, then closes his bloodshot eyes and goes back to sleep.
QO2qhiH.jpg

Ok, that's fine. I'll just try again, there's still time. It takes a while to dig out a THIRD rock from the wall.
P9kwT51.jpg

Honestly given enough time I could probably just dismantle the entire wall with my spoon. I grab the rock, turn round, aim, and.... FFS!
xlMyWJ0.jpg

I can't aim for shit. Where was that part of my training Lyle! It's alright, it's alright. I dig out a FOURTH rock. This time I look carefully, try underarm, throwing the rock up high and....!!!!!!!
C00ajRS.jpg

DsZMqwU.jpg

J8JfSkw.jpg

Well that wasn't what I was aiming for, but it worked so whatever. When I tell this story to my children it'll all be part of my plan. I pick up the keys, open the cell, spend a few minutes looking for my gear. Luckily it's not hard to find, piled in with all the other prisoner's junk. On my way to the door I pause, looking at the pistol on the table. I already have my pistol, but having two pistols is never a bad idea.
KyCbhDQ.jpg

TUNBRVK.jpg

Then again one pistol is probably fine. I look at the cell with the Spaniard, well, I did promise. Besides it seemed like he had some important stuff to tell me. I quietly unlock his door, wake him up, and point to the door leading out of this place. He nods and we tiptoe past the imp. Along the way I spot some poster's he's hung up.
WzQTQEC.jpg

940uOny.jpg

Hmmm.Anyway.Me and (I'll just call him Conky) Conky make our way down a lot stairs and find our way outside. I hide behind conky because he's got armor.
o8trBbg.jpg

Wow, there's a lot of guards outside, but if we stay quite, then...
OrvGYAq.jpg

WBAKmfj.jpg

Sheeeeeeet. Conky gets shot to pieces, lucky I took him with me
:troll:
. Alright, well at least this time I got my pistol.

So this is the only such sequence in the game, as far as I can remember anyway. Basically it's popamole. I got my one shot pistol, which reloads after a second or so, and my sword, which instantly kills anyone it can reach. You will notice no health bar, that's because you only have 1 regenerating health point. As in if you someone shoots you, the screen goes red, if you are hit again while the screen is red you die. After 2-3 seconds you "regenerate" from having a red screen back to normal. So yeah, your typical popamole. You can't actually move at all, you can only look around. So essentially this whole part is based on timing and memory, because the enemies always spawn in the same order and will overwhelm you if you don't deal with them fast enough. Wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that they can attack from any direction. Feel free to listen to your choice of epic dubstep/rock/classical or whatever it is that floats your boat as you imagine Nick doing backflips and dodging bullets in slow motion.
qXY8D4Z.jpg

EFeKr9P.jpg

Boom! HS.
7x7mwBj.jpg

I have to get out of here.
Z92cuNS.jpg

DW7sBdM.jpg

kFfY4XL.jpg

They just don't give up.
eQiocSG.jpg

ukfgLnb.jpg

zhkcUwf.jpg

WM18Gww.jpg

The last gun shot echoes in my ears. There is dead silence in the night. I look around at all the terrified faces hiding behind curtains in the windows. Yes the cannibal escaped, and murdered an entire battalion by himself, cutting his way to the port. Why the port? I figure the Marauder is still in the harbor if Sullivan is around, if nothing else I can creep into one of the other ships. Carefully backing away from the crossroads leading to the city center, making sure I'm not being followed. I hit something solid.
PfDby2U.jpg

pcHoVfy.jpg

Bone! Godamn it, I start turning when his fist catches me in the jaw.

I open my eyes, and urgh, so bright. I still hurt everywhere and I'm parched.
Lm6rx0q.jpg

53XVEv9.jpg

SOPVIVZ.jpg

Oh good, all my friends are here.
PFQwrhg.jpg

C9OVGq1.jpg

DrV51R2.jpg

zupsCkE.jpg

ymA8GiO.jpg

8YD8DnE.jpg

sqAUpR3.jpg

mzEO1NT.jpg

XZjt0Jg.jpg

IHbFVGm.jpg

LZL4IkY.jpg

QpB5TEn.jpg

pVYClBk.jpg

I can barely keep up, my mind is still fuzzy. I stumble as Cross unties my bonds. Lyle grabs me by the shoulders and shoves towards the gang plank. What... Oh....
LzViutG.jpg

The water rushes up my nose and mouth... Can't breathe... Darkness.

God it's hot. What's going on?
tikmRjl.jpg

Sullivan?
ZwJQCQ7.jpg

Marooned on an island with a woman pretending to be a man. Great.

The ride never ends :lol:. Suddenly the game kinda got dark, the death of the captain, still no answers to our questions, betrayal, treachery and now abandoned. Anyway I hope you guys enjoyed this segment, sorry if there were too many pics I thought I'd let you see the chars in all their glory. Next time we will plumb the deep dark mysteries of this brave new land.

Dreaad

Arcane
Yargh, it be good seeing you once again. Where was we eh? Marooned on a island gods know where. Manly Sullivan or should I say Annabelle by our side.

I slowly get to my feet. My wounds from the events in Port Royal burn. Shacking my head from side to side I try to clear my mind. Yes, thrown of the Marauder, with Anne. Well, at least Bone didn't get his way and hang us. Still shaky I look down to see my companion stir to life.

It takes her a good while to gather herself together and stand up. When she finally has her feet under her, she gazes at me, her face forlorn.
A9WBWms.jpg

Ar1KCMQ.png
: Marooned on a desert island. *she shakes her head* It's a good thing Lyle and Cross were there. They saved our lives.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I'm not sure this is much better, but you're right. How did we end up on this island though?
v90kglc.png
: Oh, that's right, you were unconscious for most of it.... After Bone... forced us off the ship. Lyle, he threw down a barrel. I grabbed on to you and hauled you in top of it. I was so tired. Eventually I must have fallen asleep over you...
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Thanks. I guess I'm very lucky to be alive.
wY9MP4o.png
: *smiles* No problem. But Nick, what are we going to do now?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: I can think of a few things
wY9MP4o.png
: Stop touching me!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Alright, alright. Shiiiaaat I was just trying to thank you.
OmuJdUx.png
: It's not happening. Let's just look around.
This conversation actually happens :lol:

With that she walks down the beach. Damn it. Whatever, I might as well see what I can find. I don't want to head of in the jungle just yet, who knows what lives in there.
i5c8GFs.jpg

I decide to head off in the opposite direction from Anne. Give her some time to cool off maybe. So much easier killing people and tacking their gold, compared to raping women. *sigh*. I walk for what seems like a long time, when I look back, I can't see the place where we washed up, then again this blasted beach looks more or less the same no matter how far I go. Suddenly I spot something odd in the distance. No way. I hesitantly make my way over.
n5y2dZK.jpg

What the.... hehe at least the previous owner was nice enough to leave an iron crank next to his locked crate.
z3Uv1zy.jpg

A few forceful pulls later and I hear the lock break. Hope this crate has some food or water, I'm not feeling to great and need something to keep me going.
oVaPC6w.jpg

Just what I didn't need. I wonder if hay is edible? The items look un-appetizing. Some sort of flask? Strange because the bottom of it seems broken off and yet in a far too precise manner, like maybe it was part of a larger object....
L6aFXST.jpg

The tiles are worthless junk. Hmm there's a letter here too.
nUAs5W6.jpg

Booooring. Blablabla Aztecs, blabla Kraken, bla museum. I decide to eat the useless thing.

MQrSZAb.png
: What did you find?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: !!!
0uGBklU.png
: Hahahaha you should see the look on your face hahahaha!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: You almost scared me to death!
0uGBklU.png
: Haha. Show me what you found.

I pass her the letter and strange bottle like thing.

v90kglc.png
: It says the stuff was headed for a museum. I wonder if someone was trying to take this stuff off the island, or if this is from another ship?
mZCQbzC.jpg
: The island I think. I found an iron crowbar right next to the crate, no way that got washed ashore.
Ar1KCMQ.png
: *scratches her head* But then what happened to these people.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (Polar bears probably.)

This side of the beach turns into thick jungle, so we head back where we came from and continue on that way instead. Some time passes. I grow used to the sound of the waves lapping at the shore.

LVAG7eO.png
: Nick. Hey Nick. Nick. Niiiiick!
mZCQbzC.jpg
: What?!
fb9srmg.png
: The rum is gone.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: The rum is gone?
fb9srmg.png
: The rum is gone.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Why is the rum gone?!

(huehue)

0uGBklU.png
: Hey do you hear something?

I do in fact, the wind has picked up and there's a strange howling coming from further down the beach. I almost take out my pistol, before remembering the thing will be useless until I clean it and get some dry gunpowder. At least I still have my sword. Pulling the blade out my scabbard I head towards the sound. The source seems to be from right around the next bend of trees. Rounding the corner....
zeq3XqQ.jpg

Wow. I look back too see Anne is still following me. Gripping my sword tightly I move onwards. There's some sort of pass right next to the stone structure. Apparently the tight gap between the rocks and mountain were making and echoing howl.
8b5IvSD.jpg

We follow the pass round the side of this monumental thing built into the mountain (or maybe this is the volcano the letter spoke of?) Eventually the path ends.
AMnCWvZ.jpg

Looks like a rather dangerous area, probably full of jagged sharp rocks just under the surface. The strange stone altar makes me uneasy. Turning around I see that there's also a door carved into the stone.
wfK7NPw.jpg

It won't budge.

v90kglc.png
: Let's head back Nick, it's getting dark.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: Sure. Did you happened to find anything edible laying around?
Ar1KCMQ.png
: No, but at the very least we could probably find some water if we head around the other side of this thing. The people who lived here had to drink something.

We trudge all the way back and continue into the underbrush.
TrGBK0d.jpg

Lo5v4Wg.jpg

A few minutes later we run into....
hRCqJzV.jpg

Whatever the hell that is.

mZCQbzC.jpg
: Lets have a closer look.

It turns out to be some sort of archway, with a bridge behind it. On the outside are some sort of rotating carvings built into a pillar. Two of the four faces at each level have sleeping faces, while the other two have angry faces. All faces are demonic....
rCvZZDl.jpg

I look over at the bridge and back at the faces. Anne watches on with no comment as I slide all the faces into sleeping position and start to head out onto the bridge.
0DuJ7hG.jpg

u60ziXT.jpg

6NBpqcp.jpg

JgQr4G1.jpg

8nffvw4.jpg

Usy2E7n.jpg

8x9PB1u.jpg

pdqj9Lg.jpg

But as I'm about to do so... my pirate senses start tingling. Anne raises an eyebrow as I switch the demon faces into the awake position and cross the bridge with no problems.

Quick side story. When I first played this game eons ago, I didn't know about saving games.... at all. As I said at the start of this LP, I had only played arcade games up to this point and saving a game was not a concept I had encountered. What I'm trying to say is that over hours and hours of trial, error and memorization. I had reached this point sooo many times. Through a host of different dialog options etc. Dying repeatedly in this or earlier sections (fucking assassins). It was only one day after complaining to my father about how the game was impossible, that he sat down and watched me play all the way to this point, pushed the escape key to enter the main menu and explained to me what saving and loading a game did. Mind FUCKING blown.

Now as a result of this, I know the game inside and out up to this point, but from here on out my memory is a bit sketchy. I do of course remember most of the key events, though the precise details we can discover together. Anyway enough about my life story.

After crossing the bridge and waiting for Anne to follow. I stand in front of some bizarre contraption and what looks like a door. On each side of me are some stairs leading to two hands carved of stone.
a4kYd82.jpg

BgnumpQ.jpg

PZKfv4X.jpg

Kt8briU.jpg

c2x9X8c.png
: That's the entrance to something.
mZCQbzC.jpg
: (No kidding Sherlock.)

After messing about, looking at the thing for a while I determine that two people are needed to work this thing. I tell Anne to stand in the right hand while I go to the left. As soon as we both step into the palms I feel the platform shudder ever so slightly under my feet.
HAadeCl.jpg

SUPwjy0.jpg

ixMViKO.jpg

Ok, so here is how this puzzle works. The gems at the bottom of the screen are the ones I've already removed. I can only take a gem if a character is on the same level as a gem. You can either take a gem, or put a gem into the socket if it's empty. Whenever you take or insert a gem, the platform opposite will move. It will move up until it hits the top then go down until it hits the bottom then head up again. Green gems move the platform one level. Red gems move it two levels and blue gems move it four levels.

At first I jump to the conclusion that I have to remove all the gems (remember how I said my memory was hazy after the bridge.)

Working with Anne we struggle to retrieve all the gems, after almost an hour, we give up this fruitless task in frustration. She screams insults at the rocks, leaps of her platform, standing on the bridge panting. I follow her down and....
CpoBOrT.jpg

Anne! Your a genius! The pattern combination is floating above her head like a brilliant idea! We jump back on the platforms and after only a few minutes tinkering the door slides open.
kqWNCxG.jpg

JHQgYXD.jpg

l2b5NPe.png
: I'm not going in there.
me: What?
oTAhh8E.png
: You can go in there if you want. I'm going to go see if there's a way up this mountain. Try and find some water.
me: You're just scared. Grow some balls.
OmuJdUx.png
me: Alright.
c2x9X8c.png
: See you soon Nick. Be careful.

I head through the door into the passage way. It's dark and the large opening turns into a tight tunnel with an incredible heat filling up the air. I carry on and reach an incredible chamber.
wrNQU2u.jpg

As I step through the arch, a stone door rolls down behind me!
HuoGFMe.jpg

Trapped in a room with lava. Great.

And so we reach the end of episode six. Hope you enjoyed it :cool:. Next time it's everyone's favorite, Dungeons and Krakens.

Dreaad

Arcane
Hope everyone is doing well. Last time Nick had just entered the undermountain, or I guess the undervolcano located on a deserted island. Pam pam paaaaaa!

The door slammed shut behind me, unfortunate, since the only way forward is over a pit of LAVA!
nijRzwz.jpg

Well, since I can't go back I guess I'll have to jump from rock to rock to reach the other side. God I hope that door isn't locked too. I position myself to take a leap, hopefully I can make it. Here we go...
n3Brpqh.jpg

ZYhrJKk.jpg

On second thought that particular outcropping of rock seems a bit too far. I think I'll try another.
JTefOJj.jpg

JTwFExD.jpg

I manage to land and keep my balance. Time to assess where I can jump to next...
n3Brpqh.jpg

ZYhrJKk.jpg

Then again this particular platform seems like it's sinking with my weight added to it, better not take the risk of standing around. Shit, there is a lot of options here. Relying on luck, I jump from platform to platform, in the end having to take a rather round about route. But finally I make it.
i1ZxG8u.jpg

u6WTvS3.jpg

I land on some sort of switch.
Ti2BRtb.jpg

Which conveniently opens the door. No hesitating now, the brutal heat is quickly taking its toll. As soon as my feet are past the now opened door, I glance back.
a8Y7FlZ.jpg

My relief at emerging from the furnace is palpable. This place really wasn't built with visitors in mind. Taking a deep breath of cool air, I pause to take a look around. To my right is....
0SCKidu.jpg

A locked door. The middle passage....
KwNpSZg.jpg

Leads down a flight of stairs, and to my left....
rSBaBXL.jpg

Fuck that!

It doesn't take me long to decide to go down the stairs in the middle, no matter where that leads it can't be worse than that creepy hallway to my left. Making my way down, leads to some sort of circular upwards tunnel. It seems to go on for quite some distance but it's not like I'm going to go back. Eventually I reach the top.
UrMNxbm.jpg

FML. After some fruitless pushing and pounding it becomes apparent that I will in fact have to go back.
M5zEHHW.jpg

I have a really bad feeling about this. Expecting the worst a step inside.
QtrUelU.jpg

G88r0h4.jpg

GeAS6mz.jpg

FFS. It couldn't just be a simple path could it. Deep breath, I can do this. Besides if I don't get out of here I will never be able to shove my sword through Bone's greasy face. Carefully I watch to see if the bursts of flame have a pattern. Then I dash through, with plenty of stops and starts to make sure I don't run head first into an inferno.

Few minutes later and I stand, only mildly singed, in front of a lever.
hLQGmgR.jpg

Pulling it down I hear the grinding of stone and a sudden silence as the roar of projectile fire vanishes. I turn around and sure enough the flames have died down. I make my way back to the cross section of tunnels. With a sinking heart I realize the stone rumblings I heard earlier, was just the passage to the right of the lava chamber opening.
AZShyQh.jpg

More lava fantastic. As I go further into the room, a clanking chain chain hanging down from the ceiling catches my attention. Seems safe enough.
CH5dc4a.jpg

I swing myself across the pit.
1Dm0gMr.jpg

Hmmm. That boulder looks a bit dangerous, but after a few tugs on the vine nothing happens. I decide it's safe enough to cross under, as long as I make sure not to step on anything suspicious.
eHJy9Cg.jpg

That doesn't look scary at all, not in the least. That scepter underneath the mummified skeleton look interesting too. No big deal, I'll just reach out and grab it, pull it out of the altar, swing back across the pit and move on with my life.
yXU5Lgq.jpg

My hand closes around the artifact and I tug. (huehue)
frvTV4Y.jpg

Whatever liquid remained inside my body after sweating like crazy through the lava and fire...leaves my body.The thing leaps over me and lands on the other side. Cutting off my retreat.
SaS7nSb.jpg

Press F1 for help, Loading.
oBpUEfk.jpg

The Aztec skeleton has a rather unorthodox weapon which is instantly slashed across my face.
HYUafy5.jpg

That wasn't so bad, only a flesh wound. In fact, while it looks terrifying, it's actually quite slow. It manages to block a few strikes as I push it back to where the lava is boiling away.
2VhvCqy.jpg

O0joKWA.jpg

Eventually the skeleton stops retreating and we trade a few blows.
3KhedqE.jpg

Haha while this thing doesn't have eyes that I can use to predict it's blows it so sluggish that I'll have no prob....
aJRCF7H.jpg

AMjtmC6.jpg

AAAAAAARGHRGRHGRHR. That hurts! The fucker drained me of everything AND healed himself! New plan. No holding back! I can't take another laser blast to the face like that!
foyWDEL.jpg

Haha. I'm a pirate motherfucker, one more hit and....
9NtJTPy.jpg

He crumbles to pieces, the magic that held him together has clearly.....
cI7O0h1.jpg

f70YCfm.jpg

!!!!!OH SHIT SON!!!!!

I back pedal. Blocking in desperation as the horror advances and hoping he doesn't unleash that crazy Aztec magic again.
KqbUt3o.jpg

rC7wOTx.jpg

Pressed up against the altar I see my death in those glowing eyes, no matter how many times I kill this thing, it just reanimates. Then my eyes spot the vine! The vine holding up the stone slab I walked under earlier! No time to waste, I slash with my last vestiges of energy.
HjrvZZ6.jpg

Ioxnua3.jpg

4c7NTHl.jpg

3la03YE.jpg

Victory! Level up, cleric class unlocked.

So tired. I wasn't even completely healed from my previous encounters and now I'm feeling worse than ever. Hope I have enough strength to swing across using the chain again.
WNrnmUc.jpg

tI5hglm.jpg

athGWED.jpg

wJ6253S.jpg

ImPC6mv.jpg

Maybe I should wait a bit to catch my breath before making the attempt. I make my way back to the intersecting caverns, scepter packed neatly away in my... er ... trunk.
PCufejs.jpg

I hope I can use this thing somehow to open the door at the top of the central passage. It takes me a while to stumble all the way there, bleeding everywhere. Once there, I place the scepter into an indent on one of the walls bordering the door.
SY3nHDa.jpg

Daylight! Thank all the pirating gods.

I think I will leave it here for today bro's. I know it's a rather short episode (no dialog) but I feel the ending is natural. Next time... well... Anyone care to guess what will happened next?:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom